May 2018 : Hits & Misses

DST1913

Absolute MISS.... Aunt Jackie's Dont Shrink curling gel. Left my hair an absolute dry frizzy mess with minimal curl definition. Tossing this in the trash. Tried it to replace kinky curly gel because it pretty pricey but I guess you get what you pay for in this case.

icsonia22

Hits
Lotta body foaming mousse. Keeps a nice soft hold for rollersets. Currently searching for something to pair it with that will keep my rollersets moisturized.

Misses
Aloe vera juice/gel
I had high expectations for this product. It was a total fail. It acts about the same as water does for my hair. It leaves no lasting moisture and once it absorbs, you never would think that I had applied it.

Oyin hair dew
It initially makes my 4b hair soft and moisturized when I apply it but the moisture disappears within 24 hours. I've tried sealing in the moisture with whipped Shea butter to no avail. This pales in comparison to scurl.

Aggie

MISS:

Hairveda Methi Sativa Tea set (step 1 and 2) - didn't do much for my hair and I have used them twice already. I still saw breakage and this didn't happen when I used my Dominican hair products a couple weeks back :nono:. So I will not be repurchasing them. In fact, I need to look for someone to give them to.

DST1913

Meh:
APB Hair Cream

Hits:
APB leave in serum
APB creamy oil
NYC Curls Conditioner
Mist spray bottle lol
A few months ago the APB cream oil was a miss for me. It did nothing for my hair and it felt dry after using so I shelved it. A few weeks ago I was doing a wash and go/twist out. My twist outs are usually dryyyy so while my hair was dripping wet I used the APB creamy oil then applied my normal wash and go products (CRN whipped gel with curl maker) and OMGGGGG my hair has never been so soft and moisturized and it last for days! The key for me was to use this on wet not dry hair. I am never using anything else I am sold on this!

fluffyforever

Misses:
S-Curl- does not moisturize. Feels like an astringent.
Hair Rules Leave-in conditioner- also feels like an astringent.
Hair Rules Kinky Curly Cream- this stuff takes forever to dry so it remained white on my hair all day even after blow drying partly. My hair was well moisturized though and it helped my coils pop. But I think Curly Whip does the same job but goes clear faster, without the white flakes on my shirt.

Hits:
Hair Rules Curly Whip - great leave- in conditioning styler that has a light hold and doesn't dry out my hair st all.
Anthony Dickey method of applying styling product on soaking hair, wetting hair after distributing styling product, and shaking the hair like crazy make coils pop.

ETA: Although I like how my hair feels with Curly Whip after it dries, this product has no slip whatsoever and feels like an astringent when applied to my wet hair. It's hard to separate my curls and manipulate after I apply. So it's only a HIT for the end result.

Last edited:

Aggie

MISS:

Hairveda Methi Sativa Tea set (step 1 and 2) - didn't do much for my hair and I have used them twice already. I still saw breakage and this didn't happen when I used my Dominican hair products a couple weeks back :nono:. So I will not be repurchasing them. In fact, I need to look for someone to give them to.

MISS turned ON THE FENCE:

Decided to combine these two and looks like I will get to finish the ones left in my stash and won't have to give them away anymore.

PlanetCybertron

Hits:
I didn’t particualrly like this brand when I was natural my hair didn’t like it since it weighed down, but the ORS Hair Lotion I love using to twist my braids or twists at the end and seal over with Shea Butter. The hold stays for days.

Oyin hair dew

Oyin honey hemp conditioner

Misses:
Oyin ginger mint co-wash. It strips my hair much like a shampoo does. If I wanted that I would just use my diluted shampoo. The smell, is also kind of a stale smell mixed with mint. Don’t like.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hits:
  • The Jane Carter Solutions Curls To Go! Untangle Me Weightless Leave-In
  • The Jane Carter Solutions Curls To Go! Shine On Curl Elixir (I looked into soybean oil, one of its ingredients, and it's reportedly fine for hair)
I got several of the Curls To Go! products at a special hair event for a much reduced price. (I only have a sample of the elixir, and it was free.)

The leave-in:
It is incredibly, incredibly slippery. I find the leave-in to be unparalleled for applying to the hair for detangling just before styling. Typically, I detangle my hair before shampooing, because shampooing tangled hair is a no-no for my coils. However, even with twisting up my hair as I detangle it and even with washing my hair in twists or twist by twist and then retwisting . . . my hair still tangles a little before styling. It's just that naturally tangle-prone. But if I apply this weightless leave-in as I'm styling, my fingers and/or brush glide right through those tangles. Just slip right through! Then I can apply my gel and shingle effortlessly. I doubt I'll ever be without this product. It's made wash-and-going so much better.

The elixir:
I can't believe I love this elixir. I've never really been into them. First of all, this stuff smells divine. I consider it hair perfume. It's just yummy. Second, it actually makes my hair very shiny, whether curly or straight. Third, it tames my fly-aways (on straight hair -- not sure about my curly hair). I'll probably always have it.​

Meh on my hair (I've only used it once):

The Jane Carter Solutions Curls To Go! Coiling All Curls Elongating Gel

I got a few flakes (was a little heavy handed in that area, so perhaps this was "user error.") It wasn't elongating on my hair. The hold wasn't strong on my hair. My hair felt dry. It gets okay reviews from others, so this may be my hair's idiosyncratic response to this gel. :smile:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I can't yet say whether these fermented rice water -containing products are hits or misses, but before I go back on my social media break, I wanted to be sure to share my first impressions:
  • I love everything about the RoyalHerbalOrganics (Etsy) cowash and conditioner except the pricing. I can actually tell that the elasticity of my hair is improved. These products smell fine.

I don't see them as very affordable. For instance, when I last checked, the conditioner when purchased alone was VERY, VERY expensive. As in "no" for me. I guess purchasing the bundle each time might be worth it. Maybe. Anyhow, as a result, I may trial Etsy's JLexiLLC's fermented rice water products. (They're not inexpensive either, but better priced per ounce than the RHO, I think.)

• I like the Nature's Ego's (Etsy) Moisturizing Hair Lotion applied to wet hair. It contains fermented rice water and ayurvedic ingredients. It smells, to me, like a mix of peppermint and vanilla, but since I've only used it under other products, I can't say whether the smell lingers if used alone. It doesn't linger when used under other products.

• The CeCe Naturals (Etsy) fermented rice water had amazing slip! I only used it once, but that time the moisture was better than most DCs on my hair but not as good as my holy grail (SM Manuka Honey). Alright moisture, though. I was more interested in obtaining the effects of applying fermented rice water to my hair. The owner is INCREDIBLY professional and sweet. She refunded me because my product went bad fast (I uploaded photos). She says that hasn't happened, but she would look into it. Refund was instant.
I hope this helps those who asked for a review. Please excuse my typos! Blessings!

silverlotus

HIT

SSI Coco Creme Leave In - Light, leaves my hair soft & moisturized. Fragrance not too strong.

SSI Avocado Conditioner - clean scent, good ingredients, and my hair was soft after cowashing.

TGIN Honey Miracle Mask - this is a continued hit & is at staple status. So much slip, detangling is a breeze. After DCing the softness is great and my curls are always defined. Smells amazing, too.

MISS

Mielle White Peony Leave In - I hate the spray nozzle on this and the fragrance is ridiculously overwhelming. I can’t even say if it’s a good moisturizing product or not because I couldn’t stand having it in my hair.

Kindred Butters Pumpkin DC - I’ve given this a few tries & come to the conclusion it does nothing for my hair. Not slippy in the least & my hair doesn’t feel noticeably better after rinsing. Same for her Honey DC, which I also tried.

nerdography

Hit:
The Mane Choice Tropical Moringa Pearly Braid Out Glaze

I didn't use it for a braid out since, I haven't done one of those in a while. I used it to shingle my curls and it worked really well. I think next week I'll do a braid out to see how it works.