May 2020: Hits & Misses

werenumber2

Hit: The Doux Mousse Def Texture Foam

A defined wash and go puff with no flakiness and isn't super crunchy? Why haven't I tried this before?

Ooh I had my eye on this. I’ve been in the market for a good curly mousse.

Miss

Adore Semi Permanent Hair dry, not a color behind left at all.

My mom randomly gave me a bottle of this and your review just prompted me to throw it out :laugh:. Wella Color Charm Demi-permanent is great if you’re still on the hunt

Neomorph

Miss
Coconut Oil
: a few weeks ago I had started using coconut oil and it seem to be doing okay on my hair, but recently it's started to make my hair hard and dry. Just like it did years ago when I had first tried in the midst of a massive PJ stage. I had decided to give it ago because I had also tried pure aloe vera and JBCO during that time but it wasn't helping only to revisit a few years later to find out my hair and scalp really liked those products. Now it's clear straight coconut oil is not for me.

Revisited Hit:
Scalp Oiling: I've been revisiting a lot of things as I continue to improve my hair regimen. Oiling my scalp was something I tried back in my early days of going natural to address my dry, eczema prone scalp. It was mostly a miss back then due to using the wrong oils but also just other wrong products that contributed to scalp buildup. But right now it's working well now that I've got a new oil to use for my scalp.

New hits
Camellia (Tea Seed) Oil
: So far I've been using Camellia Oil as my scalp oil after watching a video about the rice water the Yao women of China use. It's a light oil that that calms the itchiness and in conjunction with my shampoo has so far kept flakes to a bare minimum (even better than the rice water/fenugreek combos I've tried)

Headscarves: I purchased one on a whim before my city shutdown due to the pandemic. Now that I've been mainly living in twists and I'm not too interested in my manipulating my hair right now I've been experimenting with different ways to wrap my hair up. It's such a low maintenance style and I've gotten plenty of compliments on the look as a whole.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hits

Ambunu herb. Cleansing and detangling at the same time.

Negesbanda Quench My Curls Deep conditioner. Softening , creamy and butter soft hair after steaming for 30 minutes.

Miss

Ambunu Herbs. Super cleansing. In the future need to only use straight up once a month or add to other moisturizing herbs to tone down the cleanse also the herbs were clogging up the shower. Will sieve in the future.

shasha8685

Hit:
The Doux Bonita Afro Balm: my hair feels so soft after using this! I thought the product would be heavy but it has a whipped consistency and is surprisingly light.

The Doux Swag Goo: I like this edge control. It provides hold for most of the day and smells so good!

Miss:
The Doux Bonita Afro Balm: I used this as a product in my twist out routine and never again. It flakes like no other and it provides little hold. Using this product, a twist out would last maybe 2 days. In the future, I'll probably reserve this product for when my hair is in a puff or a bun (like it is stated on the label lol). I'm going to try the C.R.E.A.M. product to see how it works for twist outs.

I'm noticing that this line has pretty decent stylers that are dedicated for specific purposes.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hit

Mane Krush Restore, almost as good as UN Fermented Rice No more itchy scalp. Soothed my scalp and lifted the dandruff that plagues the front of my hair when product gets on it. Glad I have two bottles

Miss

Uhuru Naturals shipping my last package. Ive never had a problem with them in the past but I ordered May 13th, got my tracking May 14th and it hasnt moved. Reached out and Im still waiting to see whats going on/

Hairties

Hit
Adwoa Beauty deep conditioner- I hate that I love this. Like fell in love with this. If feels great on the scalp, moisturizing, and great rinse out. Just loved it. I kind of wish I got the shampoo.

Adwoa Beauty Leave In- I love this too. It is thickkkk. I watched a bunch of videos and followed instructions to use it in the shower. First time I just used a spray bottle with warm filtered water. That worked well. It is very moisturizing and my low porosity hair loved it. I sealed it with Yadain Gritz one time and the moisture was just there for days. I used it without sealing and it still kept the moisture. I don’t know if I’ll want to shell out the money for it once this bottle is empty, but I’m use every last drop!

Annabelle’s Cashmere Creme- I still have a bunch of dcs to try and get a good reading of, but this felt great from the first swipe. I kind of knew I would like it because I think it has Sapote oil. I remember loving the creams from this brand. I thought Extreme Hydration had me but this is better to me.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hits

APB Cashmere Creme and Icing on Dry hair . Sunk in, moist and lovely sheen
Ouidad Heavy Lifting bubbling scalp mask, this is really nice, lifted whatever was on my scalp, gently. The bubble action was cute, lol
APB Omg Deep Conditioner, after using the shampoo, it returned moisture to my hair. I just left it on and lazy around the house. Rinsed out and my hair was soft/supple.
APB Cashmere Whipped Cleanse as a bodywash

Miss
Ouidad prices, not a repurchase
APB Cashmere Whipped Cleanse, upon rinsing, my hair felt scary stripped. I think I really need a pea size amount.
Dye-ing my hair. I still didnt get to it.