MBL 2013 Challenge!

shasha8685

I'm not officially in this challenge but I am trying to get to MBL by the end of year too. I did an impromptu lazy length check yesterday and it looks like MBL to me.

I will know for sure when I relax my hair.

Attachments

• IMAG1340-1-1.jpg
    IMAG1340-1-1.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

almond eyes

I think that when your hair is natural, sometimes you cannot know just how long your hair is until you have straightened it with heat. Even though my hair is relaxed, I hardly use heat to straighten. So, it looks often times like collarbone length but when it is blown out, it is past APL. The point is that many women define themselves as slow growers because the shrinkage is tight but if they straighten their hair, they would be surprised. Using your hands to pull your hair straight is not a true picture of one's length.

Best,
Almond Eyes

shasha8685

I think that when your hair is natural, sometimes you cannot know just how long your hair is until you have straightened it with heat. Even though my hair is relaxed, I hardly use heat to straighten. So, it looks often times like collarbone length but when it is blown out, it is past APL. The point is that many women define themselves as slow growers because the shrinkage is tight but if they straighten their hair, they would be surprised. Using your hands to pull your hair straight is not a true picture of one's length.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I don't know if this is directed towards me but:

a) I'm not natural. I'm relaxed. I'm 19 weeks post in that pic, due for a touch up in October.

b) Since my hair is not straight, I called this a 'lazy' length check, stated the length it 'looks' like (rather than saying 'it is'), and stated that I will know what length it is when I straighten it

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
shasha8685 You are definitely looking like MBL to me! Congrats!

Oh and I think the pp was referring to my complaining about my hair growth upthread.

jprayze How has Bamboo silica been working for your hair growth? I want to try Viviscal in the new year because I want to make MBL by my birthday in March.

Last edited:

jprayze

shasha8685 You are definitely looking like MBL to me! Congrats!

Oh and I think the pp was referring to my complaining about my hair growth upthread.

jprayze How has Bamboo silica been working for your hair growth? I want to try Viviscal in the new year because I want to make MBL by my birthday in March.

I think it's been working well but I will let you know for sure after my length check...

ETA: If my dark roots are any indication, then yes!

Last edited:

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
Ok, so I relaxed my hair a few days ago and did a quick length check. I'm thinking a few more inches and I'll be MBL. My bra looks a little high in the sig below, so I'm gonna say I'm bsl. I'll give it til the end of the month to be full MBL. Plus, the front of my hair is only a little past APL.

ImanAdero

I'm about to put y hair back in braids next week.

Probably won't length check until the end of the year in that case because I won't get out of this next set of braids until after November.

Good thing is, I find my ends look pretty good! I don't find too many splits on my search and destroy missions so I feel like I'm doing something right!

Put my hair in bigger braids so I can have an awesome braid out tomorrow!

GroovyMama

So I relaxed my hair yesterday @ 12 weeks post. I think I'm there...Like scraping MBL. I had some good growth since July. I'm kinda scared to claim it it officially, because it still looks so darn short to me. Let me know what you ladies think.

20130630_105504 - Copy.jpg
July 1, 2013

20130921_202027.jpg
Yesterday

RegaLady

So I flat ironed my hair and it is close to MBL and guess what? I don't like it:ohwell:. I don't know but it doesn't suit me well or something. So I cut the bangs. Anyway, I will let my hair do its thing but I don't think I will actively pursue MBL or anything longer. I want and am ready to have fun with my hair, lol.:look:

ImanAdero

Took this photo last night.

Yesterday I washed my hair in preparation for today (Got my hair put in individual braids again). Washed with Elasta Creme Conditioning Shampoo. I conditioned quickly with the GVP version of Joico's Reconstructor. After that I followed with ApHogee's moisture balance. Both of he conditioners have mineral oil... Not sure if my hair really likes it, but at least my hair felt strong.

After that I OC'd (the L was water) with Safflower Oil and Shea Moisture's coconut and hibiscus Creme moisturizer (can never remember the name).

Today when she braided it, first she blow dried my hair and I was like... Wow. You have a lot of hair lol. So I'm excited about how my hair will be at the end of the year. My hair is actually starting to feel long!

2 pictures attached. One is my length check for end of September (since I won't have an October one) and the other is my hair blown out before braiding.

Attachments

• image-2400087523.jpg
    image-2400087523.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 184
  • image-3472117153.jpg
    image-3472117153.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 180

MizzBFly

** Roll call **
9/29 relaxed after 17 wk stretch, which I enjoyed due to the twists I wore for the past 8 weeks.
roux and silk infusion to the relaxed ends, ORS lye & 1/2-1/2 method.-some really underprocessed sections but since I texlax does it really matter:ohwell:??, only if I notice more breakage in those areas will I take care of next relaxer, but will treat with light hand and see.
D/C w/ MegaSilk over night- applied like relaxer w/a lil' grapeseed oil all over.
9/30 wore damp low ponytail to air dry, super soft hair just puffy as hell:lol:, Flat ironed from 9-12am, small sections using One and Only Argan Oil as heat protectant- it smells so good!:lick: temp about 330-340 on GVP pink by Sally's

Sidenote (anyone know how to really read this thing?? I assume if the dial is in the middle that is the setting- written temps are 302 and the highest 400 everthing else is a toss up to get an exact number)

**my bra strap has been adjusted slighty, I tried to make it match exactly but to check I would have has to wake up my hub to get the IPAD in the room:ohwell:**

***Please excuse the look of the thin ends, I have a picture detailing the length difference from the third of my nape which is significantly shorter(due to heat damage:perplexed ladies be careful) but healthy and growing- I don't want to chop off that many inches to match just a 1/3 of the back half of my head.***

Did I reach my goal? I would say almost mid-back but I don't consider a few lead hairs as a full length achievement unless it looks almost full. What length would you say I am? do you all think a cut in necessary? I really don't wear my hair down much less straight and when curled it doesn't look like that- trying to convince y'all to side with me :lachen: I want to reach my ultimate goal of FULL midback length before I chop.

Attachments

• flat ironing 9.30.13.jpg
    flat ironing 9.30.13.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 82
  • growth comparision2.pdf
    184.6 KB · Views: 27
  • length diff. on right 9.30.13.jpg
    length diff. on right 9.30.13.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
MizzBFly you look just below bra-strap...maybe about two more inches to MBL? I think you'll get it by the end of the year.

As for me, I'mma need for this area in my crown to start growing/retaining better. I'm not sure why it's not doing as well as the rest of my hair. I probably need to start massaging, finger detangling, and making sure that area gets enough moisture every day. Hmmm....may need to tweek my regimen. Anyway, I think the nape is on track to be grazing MBL by December if I retain two more inches by the end of the month.

MizzBFly

MizzBFly you look just below bra-strap...maybe about two more inches to MBL? I think you'll get it by the end of the year.

As for me, I'mma need for this area in my crown to start growing/retaining better. I'm not sure why it's not doing as well as the rest of my hair. I probably need to start massaging, finger detangling, and making sure that area gets enough moisture every day. Hmmm....may need to tweek my regimen. Anyway, I think the nape is on track to be grazing MBL by December if I retain two more inches by the end of the month.

Froreal3 thanks for checking me out, i know that you will reach your goal as well, just stay focused and don't cheat..lol

Are you able to open the pdf file? It shows comparison shots from May until now.

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^^^Actually I did look at that yesterday, but then forgot about it and looked at the thumbnails attached. :lol: That v tail in the pdf looks like it's actually WL to me. I wouldn't cut if I were you.

MizzBFly

****can't stand the v ..lol but I'm determined to be full MBL with the front included no layers until it's all MBL or longer

Last edited:

MizzBFly

Just nip the tip. My hair grows in a V so every so often I have to snip a small amount from a ponytail.

Please excuse my iPhone

Your the reason I decided not to try to make my hair stay blunt. I believe that you mentioned you made a blunt cut before and it grew right back into a V:ohwell: I have experienced simular results.

So I will do the snip as I do my S&D since my hair is straight. When I pass MBL I will definately make a U cause

**I will be rocking de hell outta my hair:lol: muahhhahahha

ImanAdero

Had a dream where I did a heatless blow out and had waist length hair. Maaaaannnn I was so ready to come in and tell y'all when I woke up that my hair had skipped straight past MBL and gone to WL...

But it was only a dream :-(

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Your the reason I decided not to try to make my hair stay blunt. I believe that you mentioned you made a blunt cut before and it grew right back into a V:ohwell: I have experienced simular results. So I will do the snip as I do my S&D since my hair is straight. When I pass MBL I will definately make a U cause **I will be rocking de hell outta my hair:lol: muahhhahahha
Here is my example: image-3674094413.jpg August image-581992679.jpg September image-818340982.jpg October

In two months, I had recut the U back.

Please excuse my iPhone

RegaLady

I'm still here ladies.
Just enjoying wearing my hair out. To enjoy wearing it long and to flatter my face, I wear it in a banana clip ponytail when I go out. When I am at home, I bun. I have had my hair flat ironed for two weeks now. I will wash, DC, protein treatment, air dry and maybe wear a twist out or stretch it and wear it out again. I am about 2 inches from MBL, but I am not hardcore PSing like I use to. I have to admit, I very happy, lol.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
If this inversion works, I will do it every month to get the three inches I need. I want an inch per month DAMMIT! :lol:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Inversion didn't seem to work for me...so back to our regularly scheduled programming. :)

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

growbaby

Ugh am I there yet???? What do you ladies think?

image-5888686.jpg

image-1920926900.jpg

ETA: the measurements and everything seem to say yes but it just doesn't look like MBL to me.