Medula - The missing layer

Auburn

I read this post on "why oil isn"t enough for our hair" and someone responded with

All hair is not the same. Hair is not just hair. Persons of European descent have 3 hair layers. Most persons of African descent only have two layers of hair. We don't have the medula. We have more layers of cuticle.

I would like to know more about this layer via a discussion. Are there any substances to mimic or substitute this layer? This even makes me think of "evolution" and how some groups of people get specific characteristics.

I've known about this layer making a difference since studying hair care but I have yet to see an in depth discussion on it. I'm looking for more than an answer of "it is how it is". :lol:

Ogoma

I have only heard of fine hair not containing a protein-filled layer. I have never it heard it applied based on race, but size of hair strand. Maybe someone else can offer some more insights.

JJamiah

I have heard of this, wasn't taught it in Cosmetology school. But.... I have read it in a few books. I don't remember it off hand.. I may stand corrected but the one by Shamboosie I think says it. I also read it some where else. Your right they really don't stress it much though.

Tiye

It's the opposite. Thick, coarse hair does have a medulla. Fine hair and blonde hair often does not. Medulla isn't a layer per se, it's the center of the tube. I recall this from reading "The Science of Black Hair" but I suppose you can get this info in any A&P or cosmetology text book.