Bug Member List

Nonie

Nikos, I'm guessing that since the Member List has not been fixed, it was irreparable and so will only be fixed when we revert to the old system? I reported it when the system first changed and hadn't needed it until today when I found nothing had changed. The only people who show up are moderators. LOL

I look forward to Search working again once we go back to the old ways. Google Search had been my backup since the change but after the tweaking that made thread titles display instead of links, Google results don't work anymore. Which means SEARCH is kaput. :wallbash:

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
The Member List has been disabled on purpose. I am not sure I want to enable it when we revert back to the old version.

Sorry but I do not understand what you mean by the search not working. The search that exists on the forum as of now is exactly the same product we used in the old version (and the same product we will use when we downgrade). The only thing we did was to remove the Google search. I don't know if I want to enable it as of yet.

Nonie

dimopoulos OK, here's an example. In the past, whenever I needed to find the thread by Honeyrockette where she posted Yvette's regimen, I would type "Yvette" as the search word under "search posts" and Honeyrockette as the name--this is under Advanced Search. In the past, the thread would come up immediately...but this time I get:

Invalid User specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

So then I had to type my name instead because I have recommended that thread, and that's when it appeared along with other threads. I use this example because I had trouble finding the thread this time.

I did try other regular searches I used to do and see that those do work--so I guess the "name" search doesn't work if the person is no longer a member. I stand corrected.

Not to be pushy but why I liked the member list is sometimes I needed to find a thread say by HoneyComb but her name has symbols around it. I can never remember if they are * or ~ or if there's a space, but when we had "Member List" and the search feature, I could type just "Honey" and several names with that in them would show up. I could then look at their profiles or recognize an avi photo and know which one I was looking for. I know you couldn't see Member List if you were not logged in, so I'm not sure why that would be taken down--unless there's some issues I never realized. But I don't see how that solves anything because except for it being a pain, one can still get the info they are looking for if they either search Friends on their own list or another's profile and then click on the names which are listed alphabetically. In other words, besides just making it a pain to find people, I'm not sure what purpose it serves not to have it--but if it's an admin issue, then fine.

Kiki0130

Another example, just a few hours ago, I was
attempting to help a friend find a trustworthy
moisturising regimen when I thought of dear
Nonie. I thought at first to search for Nonie under
the member list when I remembered the only folks
I saw there the last few times were mods.

I then had to comb through threads to see where
she posted anything so I could click her username
and find all posts. Searching through all her posts,
I did not find the exact information I was hoping for
but close enough. At least I know it's S-Curl she
recommends and not the CareFree Curl Gold I first
thought of.

All this was going on while I was bragging about how
great "my" hair forum is - a place where all the infor-
mation you could ever want "is at the fingertips." Well,
not so much today lol.

I guess if the member list is not something we're
allowed to have so we can readily retrieve the help
we're looking for then, o well :ohwell:

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
Nonie: HoneyRockette is not a user in the database. The particular user must have changed their username at some point - hence the problem you are experiencing.

I will check the memberlist and possibly enable it only for subscribers. - Helps reducing spam and does not have a huge impact on performance.

Kiki: You could go Advanced Search, type Nonie as the user and the keywords you wanted. The longer the keyword (in number of characters) the easier it is for the engine to find what you are looking for.