Request Mental Health Sub Forum

cia_garces

Two things... 1) As SOON as I saw that Pet forum go up, my first thought was, "Yea!!! I get to see other people's furbabies!!" My second thought was, "Uh, oh. Here come the Mental Health Forum supporters." :lachen: 2) I would also love to see a Mental Health Forum. :yep:

cia_garces

Falls out...:sad:
[/B]

I remember in a thread about requesting a pet forum you said you would die if they started a pet forum before they started a mental health forum. You were the first person I thought about when I saw it go up.

I think that starting a Mental Health Forum, from the standpoint of whoever owns or runs LHCF, could go against the rules of CYA. I think a poster in the other mental health request thread mentioned something about things from an ethical standpoint. *shrug* Eh. But who knows... Anything can happen.

jupitermoon

I remember in a thread about requesting a pet forum you said you would die if they started a pet forum before they started a mental health forum. You were the first person I thought about when I saw it go up.

I think that starting a Mental Health Forum, from the standpoint of whoever owns or runs LHCF, could go against the rules of CYA. I think a poster in the other mental health request thread mentioned something about things from an ethical standpoint. *shrug* Eh. But who knows... Anything can happen.

I agree. Plus, a lot of mentally ill people are very sensitive/emotionally vulnerable. With all of the gossip going around on this site and other sites starting a mental health forum may not be a good idea. Those that are mentally ill need more of a nonjudgmental, gentle environment to discuss feelings and this isn't it, especially now since so much gossip is going on about LHCF members on other sites.

As much as I'd like a mental health forum, I'm able to see both sides of the argument. It would be nice but I don't think this particular environment fosters it.

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
I apologize in advance, but this request we cannot grant.

Thank you for your understanding in the matter.

chevere62

I think it is a sad day when people are worried about their personal business being put on blast by some mean spirited people in a silly online argument. As adults, aren't we more mature than that??

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
My personal view is that the sensitive nature of the subject can cause distress to members that could lead to things that are a lot worse than a hurt pride.

Yes we are all adults, but we have all seen that our words can be misinterpreted very easily, since through a discussion forum nobody can really see intent. For someone psychologically fragile, a situation like this can cause irreparable damage.

/0.02 USD

jupitermoon

I think it is a sad day when people are worried about their personal business being put on blast by some mean spirited people in a silly online argument. As adults, aren't we more mature than that??

Sometimes people with mental illness can be very emotionally vulnerable. I agree that a mature, mentally sound adult with normal to high self esteem won't be bothered by things said about them on a website but someone this is mentally ill and in an extremely vulnerable state may not fare so well.

A mental health forum sounds nice, but probably a disclaimer can be added to that section so that this website won't be liable if something bad takes place. A sticky could be made in the mental health section with lists of crisis hotlines and advising those that are feeling suicidal to seek help. Some website catering to mental illness don't even allow people to post about suicide and advise those posters to get help instead.

A lot of websites for mental health have disclaimers. The mental health forum could also be made private and have us click a box stating that we agree with this site's disclaimer and terms of use for posting prior to entering the mental health section.

jupitermoon

My personal view is that the sensitive nature of the subject can cause distress to members that could lead to things that are a lot worse than a hurt pride.

Yes we are all adults, but we have all seen that our words can be misinterpreted very easily, since through a discussion forum nobody can really see intent. For someone psychologically fragile, a situation like this can cause irreparable damage.

/0.02 USD

Thank you Nikos for answering. Our views on this are similar, but what do you think of my suggestions above? Couldn't this site just have a disclaimer?

PlatinumBronze

Living my life like its Platinum!
Thank you Nikos for answering. Our views on this are similar, but what do you think of my suggestions above? Couldn't this site just have a disclaimer?

I know that this question is directed towards Nikos, however, even with a disclaimer, if someone is in an altered mental state, a disclaimer would mean nothing. I think Nikos and the rest of the LHCF staff are doing the proper thing but not having a Mental Health sub forum.

jupitermoon

I know that this question is directed towards Nikos, however, even with a disclaimer, if someone is in an altered mental state, a disclaimer would mean nothing. I think Nikos and the rest of the LHCF staff are doing the proper thing but not having a Mental Health sub forum.

But there are mental health websites out there that have things like this. Why not this site? I'm an inquisitive person. Sorry for all of the questions. I think it can be done. Wouldn't the website be protected just for having the disclaimer and having us click on an agreement? It's done on other websites.

Nefertiti0906

/0.02 USD

Ok thanks Nikos! I understand :yep:

Mz.MoMo5235

/0.02 USD

i understand :yep:

chevere62

Sometimes people with mental illness can be very emotionally vulnerable. I agree that a mature, mentally sound adult with normal to high self esteem won't be bothered by things said about them on a website but someone this is mentally ill and in an extremely vulnerable state may not fare so well.

A mental health forum sounds nice, but probably a disclaimer can be added to that section so that this website won't be liable if something bad takes place. A sticky could be made in the mental health section with lists of crisis hotlines and advising those that are feeling suicidal to seek help. Some website catering to mental illness don't even allow people to post about suicide and advise those posters to get help instead.
A lot of websites for mental health have disclaimers. The mental health forum could also be made private and have us click a box stating that we agree with this site's disclaimer and terms of use for posting prior to entering the mental health section.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say celina. I was hoping that as mature adults no one would go and put someones personal misfortunes on blast in a silly online argument. Sometimes I do not understand why so women are so petty on this forum and like so much drama. It saddens me to be honest. We should all be able to get along in a civil manner. I do understand where nikos is coming from though. I on the other hand do not understand why there cannot be a disclaimer. That would rid the site from all responsibility just in case something does happen. There should be the emergency hotlines posted on the side of the screen. I really would like to be able to come here and discuss mental health issues. It seems like we talk about everything else under the sun.

cia_garces

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say celina. I was hoping that as mature adults no one would go and put someones personal misfortunes on blast in a silly online argument. Sometimes I do not understand why so women are so petty on this forum and like so much drama. It saddens me to be honest. We should all be able to get along in a civil manner. I do understand where nikos is coming from though. I on the other hand do not understand why there cannot be a disclaimer. That would rid the site from all responsibility just in case something does happen. There should be the emergency hotlines posted on the side of the screen. I really would like to be able to come here and discuss mental health issues. It seems like we talk about everything else under the sun.

I think someone mentioned that the site could still be held liable even if there was a disclaimer.

Did you have a thread that was something about some issues you were having with your fam? I'm only asking b/c I was gonna say "kudos" to something you mentioned there. If that wasn't you, oopsie.:look:

chevere62

I think someone mentioned that the site could still be held liable even if there was a disclaimer.

Did you have a thread that was something about some issues you were having with your fam? I'm only asking b/c I was gonna say "kudos" to something you mentioned there. If that wasn't you, oopsie.:look:

Yep that was me. Thanks for the kudos. It was about damn time I stood up to her crazy self. Now what exactly did I say to deserve these kudos?

msdeevee

I remember when the nail forum went up it was posted that there would be no more new forums added.

Now there's a pet forum. I love my dog but really?

I guess as long as it's not a forum for the over 40's .

cia_garces

Yep that was me. Thanks for the kudos. It was about damn time I stood up to her crazy self. Now what exactly did I say to deserve these kudos?

I just thought it was very brave of you to talk about your problems, going to see your therapist, your crazy life, etc. I think what you did embodied a favorite quote of mine.

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

You put yourself out there as a light and I just wanted to say thanks and I see ya' shinin'. :yep:

chevere62

I just thought it was very brave of you to talk about your problems, going to see your therapist, your crazy life, etc. I think what you did embodied a favorite quote of mine.

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

You put yourself out there as a light and I just wanted to say thanks and I see ya' shinin'. :yep:

Thanks for telling me this CIA. You truly warmed my heart with your kind words. I really do appreciate it. See admins, there can be some good to come out of these convos.

jupitermoon

Opps, sorry. I see we are in agreement on these issues. :yep:

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
Here is how I see it:

There is always the issue of lawsuits etc. which even a disclaimer cannot stop.

Putting that aside though for a moment, if we do have a forum and someone acts based on content posted here (injuring themselves or even worse) that would be devastating - at least for me. That is something that I would not want to happen. Can it happen without a relevant subforum? Yes it can, but I believe the chances increase if we do have one.

As far as the subforums etc. The core discussion of this forum as we all know is hair care. However we have created additional forums for other areas of discussion because it would be a nice thing to do for the members. One thing we do not want to have is a website with 100 different subforums. The pet subforum was added as a 'gift' for the members. I don't know if we will add more forums in the future (for different topics) but that is another discussion altogether.

HTH

sleepflower

People are going to post in vulnerable states no matter if it is a thread somewhere else or in a place where perhaps their words would actually be noticed and someone can respond. We're not stupid. We know what we post cannot disappear, would be seen by whoever paid to see it, and can and will be used against us. This whole "but you're putting vulnerable people out in the open" does not fly with me, and I guess I am alone in this. It strikes me as just more shaming of people who are mentally ill, which is unfortunate. Doubly so considering this is a meeting place of mostly black women, a group that traditionally has had a toxic "you can't be weak" and "pretend it doesn't exist" attitude about mental health. It sucks to see this perpetuated, but I knew how conservative this place was when I signed up, so I should not be surprised.

I also don't get this liability issue. We are not health professionals trying to give out advice or trying to pose as health professionals. If there can be boards where everyone agrees the space is not held responsible for the actions of a member in this context, then I don't see why LHCF is somehow exempt. Are all these places getting sued and I haven't heard of it? If so, if I try something I read in the hair forum and I end up being harmed, can I sue the boards? I have modded a couple boards dedicated to mental health, so I know it is hard to see someone in a certain state and know you cannot help. But I also know that feeling is trumped many times over by how often I have been there to help people.

As I said, I guess I am alone in this, so it cannot be helped.