Mesh Rollers.

shtow

Mesh Rollers. UPDATED WITH PICS

I really would like to try mesh rollers for a rollerset to cut drying time. My concerns are snagging/breakage (im relaxed) and crinkly hair. Could you please share your experiences using mesh rollers? I will bump over and over if I have to!!!!

Last edited:

eshille

I use mesh rollers always w/end papers so I don't get crunchy ends. It'll alleviate your concern about snagging/breaking.

I fold the end papers over my sectioned hair (I use two) starting above the ends/lower strand and slide the papers down so my ends are flattish and smooth before the roller hits my hair. I work w/really wet hair when rolling.

I can't get them as tight as I can magnetic rollers but that's okay if it saves me 2 hours...:grin: .

I've had no breakage from using mesh. I've got a semi-permanent relaxer on my hair right now.

HTH

shtow

Thanks! Im so scared of end papers. I just dont have the energy for em lol Do you think if I didnt use them my ends would look ragged?

eshille

Thanks! Im so scared of end papers. I just dont have the energy for em lol Do you think if I didnt use them my ends would look ragged?

shtow, I don't ever remember not using end papers w/mesh rollers. I've always thought end papers served two purposes...smooth the ends and provide a smoother surface on the mesh roller (which is lumpy...:grin:).

Try it without wrapping your ends, if you have a strange outcome then you can re-think this mesh roller adventure... :grin:

Someone my chime in who has had success using mesh rollers w/o end papers...so I'm subscribing...:yep:

HHG

shtow

shtow, I don't ever remember not using end papers w/mesh rollers. I've always thought end papers served two purposes...smooth the ends and provide a smoother surface on the mesh roller (which is lumpy...:grin:).

Try it without wrapping your ends, if you have a strange outcome then you can re-think this mesh roller adventure... :grin:

Someone my chime in who has had success using mesh rollers w/o end papers...so I'm subscribing...:yep:

HHG

Thanks! I looked at a few fotkis of people who do not use end papers and their hair seemed to come out pretty smooth. I just want to try them to cut down on drying time.

BUMPING

Blessed_Angel

I only use mesh rollers for the back and sides of my head. Yes, the results come out looking crunchy. But since I've just learned that I could use the end papers that I've had for years in my closet, I will try to rollerset with them next time.

BklynHeart

Thanks! I looked at a few fotkis of people who do not use end papers and their hair seemed to come out pretty smooth. I just want to try them to cut down on drying time.

BUMPING

When I was relaxed I always used end papers, even my stylist did. And I dried the same time as not using them. Your hair and ends will come out a lot smoother with it.

GodsGrace

I tried them a few weeks ago cause they always come out so nice at my hairdressers. It definitely takes some practice, after about an hour, I had only done a quarter of my head, gave up and did the rest with magnetic rollers. My biggest problem is the placement of the stick and getting it to stay. And I like the advice on using 2 end papers, I only used one and it tore since my hair was so wet. I so need more patience:ohwell:

eshille

I tried them a few weeks ago cause they always come out so nice at my hairdressers. It definitely takes some practice, after about an hour, I had only done a quarter of my head, gave up and did the rest with magnetic rollers. My biggest problem is the placement of the stick and getting it to stay. And I like the advice on using 2 end papers, I only used one and it tore since my hair was so wet. I so need more patience:ohwell:

The bold part: That one is tricky....I don't use the sticks for that very reason. I use short or long metal clips but my roll does not stay tight. Maybe I can combine sticks + short clips and end up w/a tighter roll ..thx for the idea. :yep:

Try this on your next roll: When you've got a section as straight as possible and ready to roll..hold it (up/out) w/one hand or two fingers and lay the double end papers on the shaft above the ends..it will stick...fold each side under and slide down holding the papers flat a little pass your ends. I slide down the shaft after placing the papers because I feel it's the last smoothing step I can take.

You'll be doin' some finger gymnastics but w/ practice it becomes easier and almost as fast as using magnetics.

HTH

LovelyLionessa

The bold part: That one is tricky....I don't use the sticks for that very reason. I use short or long metal clips but my roll does not stay tight. Maybe I can combine sticks + short clips and end up w/a tighter roll ..thx for the idea. :yep:

Try this on your next roll: When you've got a section as straight as possible and ready to roll..hold it (up/out) w/one hand or two fingers and lay the double end papers on the shaft above the ends..it will stick...fold each side under and slide down holding the papers flat a little pass your ends. I slide down the shaft after placing the papers because I feel it's the last smoothing step I can take.

You'll be doin' some finger gymnastics but w/ practice it becomes easier and almost as fast as using magnetics.

HTH

I was wondering if everyone who uses mesh rollers uses the pins. I haven't had much luck with them either, I use the small metal clips instead.

I have never used end papers with my mesh rollers sets, and my hair still comes out smooth. The important thing is to be sure your ends are saturated with water, that will allow them to dry nice and smooth.

shtow

Thanks for not making me bump this 50-11 times LOL . I went out and got the wire mesh ones (nice and sturdy). I will post results tonight.

RubyWoo

Thanks for not making me bump this 50-11 times LOL . I went out and got the wire mesh ones (nice and sturdy). I will post results tonight.

Wire mesh rollers are the best to use imo. I've used the plastic mesh and the wire mesh and I love the wire mesh soooo much more because of the sturdiness.

I've tried magnetics and I just can't get the roller tight enough w/the clips. I LOVE using the pins because you can control the tension. It takes practice and it's really hard to explain but there is a huge thread on mesh rollers. If you guys do a search, you'll find. If I have some time, I will post the link to the thread.

Anyhoo, I don't use end papers and never have. The first time I used mesh rollers, I had dry ends. Then I learned a tip from one the posters (clrsweetie-sorry if I messed up her name) here to use a little oil or serum (I was using either olive oil or fantasia ic olive oil serum) on your soaking wet ends right before placing the hair on the roller. Since then, no more crunchy ends. With my last rollerset two weeks ago, I forgot to put oil or serum on my ends and my ends still were soft and super hydrated. I believe it had to do with the new leave-in that I've been using for the past few weeks(AG fast food Leave on conditioner) since it is the only leave in that keeps my hair hydrated from root to tip. Anyhoo, good luck!

ETA: I've never had crinkling or the mesh pattern being left on my hair when using the wire mesh rollers. I always have smooth sets w/wire mesh rollers. When I used plastic mesh in the past, there were some crinkling/mesh patter left on my hair but it wasn't bad nor was my hair dry or breaking as a result. I would just wrap my hair to smooth them out. Nonetheless, I use wire mesh rollers now and I don't have that "issue" any longer.

Last edited:

seeminglysweet

I love mesh rollers, but they don't come in a large enough size for me to use them weekly.

I like the ones with the brush in the middle - but you MUST take that out before using or it will snag your hair.

I dont use end papers with any rollers, no time for that extra step. The metal pins work better, IMO. The plastic ones slip out too much. Metal gives much better resistance - although they get tighter as your hair dries so don't set them too tightly cause you will be in pain later.

HTH

shtow

I found some huge ones today. They are equal in size to gray magnetic ones but they are not this brand. Its in my car and Im at work so I cant tell u who they are by (got em on my break and was in a rush). Darn it! The store only had plastic pins so I guess I will be using two pins pre roller tonight:sad:

seeminglysweet

I found some huge ones today. They are equal in size to gray magnetic ones but they are not this brand. Its in my car and Im at work so I cant tell u who they are by (got em on my break and was in a rush). Darn it! The store only had plastic pins so I guess I will be using two pins pre roller tonight:sad:

Hmm, I use the grey magnetic rollers...would you say they are 2.5 inches? I found some before that were 2 inches but they were flimsy, I tossed them.

shmmr

I've used mesh rollers both with and without end papers. Using the rollers without end papers works, but for me it usually means I wrap the hair around the roller tighter (don't know why - maybe because mesh rollers have "give"?) which leads to some breakage because the hair shrinks as it dries.
I use both the pins that come with them AND clips. If the hair is not taut around the roller and at the base, my hair will be crinkly, if it is taut, it comes out much straighter. This is one of those things that gets better with experience. I'm getting better each time I do it....and if you try it I'm sure you'll get better with time also :spinning:

shtow

Hmm, I use the grey magnetic rollers...would you say they are 2.5 inches? I found some before that were 2 inches but they were flimsy, I tossed them.
They were as big as they come and they were purple. They were not flimsy at all. They are like the ones from sally's only you dont have to take the brush out.

shmmr

I dont use end papers with any rollers, no time for that extra step. The metal pins work better, IMO. The plastic ones slip out too much. Metal gives much better resistance - although they get tighter as your hair dries so don't set them too tightly cause you will be in pain later.

HTH

Do the metal pins get hot when you sit under the dryer?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I use the ones with the brush in them. I have a great roller set and no crunchy ends. I air dry my hair and I don't use end papers. I guess it just works for me. I like using the small ones because it really makes a tight curl. They set in no time at all and that's why I love them.

GodsGrace

HTH

That's a great idea, I'll definitely try that next time. You know I never thought about combining the sticks and the short clips either, you learn something new on here everyday:drunk:

GodsGrace

They were as big as they come and they were purple. They were not flimsy at all. They are like the ones from sally's only you dont have to take the brush out.

Oh ok, I know what kind you're talking about, my hairdresser used them when I had my last relaxer. They look like the purple magnetic rollers, but they're not hard, they're kinda flexible, and you use the sticks with them as well(at least I think that's what you're talking about). I didn't particularly care for the results of the set though, so I don't think I'd buy them, but I hope yours comes out okay:yep:

shtow

Oh ok, I know what kind you're talking about, my hairdresser used them when I had my last relaxer. They look like the purple magnetic rollers, but they're not hard, they're kinda flexible, and you use the sticks with them as well(at least I think that's what you're talking about). I didn't particularly care for the results of the set though, so I don't think I'd buy them, but I hope yours comes out okay:yep:
Oh h3ll to the naw dont scare me!!! I dont have the patience for 2 rollersets in one week!

Cien

Pink is my signature color
I love mesh rollers!

My avatar was done with the orange mesh.....however I haven't quite figured out how the pins work, so I just secure with clips. The orange mesh gives me larger waves..and the pink ones gives me a tighter curl.

My hair dries super fast when using mesh versus magnetic! However, I've been using magnetic snaps lately for my rollersets, because I've just been lazy.

I do use the end papers also.... (on the mesh only)...

oh! and my rollers are the ones without the brush!

GodsGrace

Oh h3ll to the naw dont scare me!!! I dont have the patience for 2 rollersets in one week!

No no, don't be scurred, I just thought she put them in a bit too loose, so the curls were aight. But I still think you should try them yourself, it might surprise you then you can come in here and rave about it!

shtow

No no, don't be scurred, I just thought she put them in a bit too loose, so the curls were aight. But I still think you should try them yourself, it might surprise you then you can come in here and rave about it!

whew! we will see. Im DCing now:drunk:

shtow

man i know this is gona look a hot mess:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:. There was no way I could get any tension rollin them witches! Under pibb boo now.

shtow

Ok i have NO idea why but my hair turned out great! I didnt even need to blow out my roots. It was fluffy and straight and it dried in 30 mins as opposed to 1.5 hours under pibb boo. I am in love!

eshille

Ok i have NO idea why but my hair turned out great! I didnt even need to blow out my roots. It was fluffy and straight and it dried in 30 mins as opposed to 1.5 hours under pibb boo. I am in love!

Congrats...now...whatyado? :look: :grin: