metformin thinning hair out??

L.Brown1114

hello :wave:

My mother is 56 and she is diabetic. She says the metformin is thinning out her hair, and her hairdresser confirmed it yesterday, because she has other clients who are on the same medication and getting the same symptom. Is the hair loss a combination of her age and the drug, just her age, or just the drug? lol

She wants to find a way to combat the problem. The only solution I could think of was going natural to help with thickness but she REFUSES, even though natural hair was cool in the 70's and she wanted a big fro back then:lol:

Her hair is VERY thin as it is. thin strands and not a lot on her head so she's VERY self conscious about it, any help or knowledge would be appreciated. thank you

Miss Kane

Is it possible for her to have her medication changed? I took metformin for a while and didn't notice any adverse effects to my hair. But it did make me feel sick to my stomach. I hope your mom gets this resolved.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Find a nice Hair Vitamin to help combat some of that for her. (For age related and thinning).

Not only do you have those Meds to deal with.

You also have Hormonal/Menopausal thinness & dryness which can also wreck your hair.

So, it could be a combo of things. Menopause is a Beast!

Also, work out a good Protein/Moisture Regimen for her (that is low mani that she can easily follow).

Report back.

ms.blue

My mom is also on metformin and her hair is thinning at the crown mostly but generally all around the hair is becoming finer. She is also on bp medication which also thins out hair.