MHM Hangout

LavenderMint

So, the conditioner scrubbing I did on my scalp Thursday after work was great. As previously noted, I HATE how puffy my roots are...... Still are. My curls are reluctant to clump as closely and there is a lot of webbing- which I understand can be a symptom of incomplete hydration.
BUT!!
I did my hair after work and spent at least 2.5-3hrs total. I put it into two pineapples, baggied, bonneted and went to bed after 4 hrs of letting my hair dry. By the end of my workday yesterday, my hair was dry. This is a first and I'm not sure what to credit for what is the fastest dry time I've experienced yet. The extra looooong rinse time? The conditioner? I didn't put any baking soda or anything besides some essential oils in the conditioner.
Tomorrow is deep condition wash day.... I wonder what my hair will be like this time.

I know I'm posting a lot but I'm just so excited about finally having information that is HELPFUL to me on this natural hair journey and learning that taking care of my 4whatever hair does not have to be a burden unless I want it to be.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Tomorrow is wash day. I'm alittle nervous. The last time I used ACV my hair was alittle tangled. I'm thinking it's because I didn't leave it on long enough or maybe it's from the shea butter that I use prior to washing. I plan on thoroughly water rinsing my hair and then apply the ACV and then leave it on for the recommended 15mins. I'll report back if there are any issues.

I want to get back into using clays. It's just that I use the DC as my leave-in. I thinking of maybe using the clay after the ACV.

Do any of you ladies switch the clay step? And if so when do you use it?

guudhair

WHAT!! They're selling hair products now? Have you tried it yet?

Yes, they are serious bout dem coins! I will try it tonight or tomorrow morning. It has an okay consistency and a slight perfume smell that I don't too much care about...hopefully it doesn't linger.

ETA: here's a picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

guudhair

Do any of you ladies switch the clay step? And if so when do you use it?

I started putting everything on top of each other after waiting 20-30 minutes before moving to the next step. This helps with not hopping in and out the shower 50-11 times.

You can also just do the clay wash instead of all the steps. Clay wash followed by your regular leave in....or whatever else you usually do after washing.

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I started putting everything on top of each other after waiting 20-30 minutes before moving to the next step. This helps with not hopping in and out the shower 50-11 times.

You can also just do the clay wash instead of all the steps. Clay wash followed by your regular leave in.

THANKS!!! I will def try that and see how my hair and color responds to just using a clay wash. I would rather use a clay b/c the ACV always gets in my eyes.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Not sure which clay (or clay mix) you're using but some can be drying so you may still need to moisturize and seal afterwards.

I use the Aztec clay. My clay mixture is usually 1/4 to 1/2 cup clay, 1tbsp of either shea butter or olive oil and about 8oz of water. When I rinse the clay out, my hair feels very moisturized due to the shea butter/olive oil. After I rinse the clay, I plan on applying the approved conditioner (DCing overnight) and then the next day I will apply my gel.

I'm excited about testing this out.

LavenderMint

.....My hair was dry Monday before I left work. If there was an imaginary line across my head from ear to ear, 95% of my hair forward of that line have root to tip definition (apparently, my glasses are tearing up my sideburns. Sad). Tuesday or Wednesday I'm co-washing. I don't want to like conditioner but it seems to be working and I've been pouting about that. :mad: .....and still bought a bunch of that lemongrass tresemme. Undone is good too, right?
I used so little clay in this wash round, maybe a total of three cereal spoonfuls of s.bentonite & rhassoul, a 1/4 cup of acv & 23 oz of distilled water...... STILL clay residue on my scalp. Color me exasperated.
And I've accepted that I'm hairstyle challenged but why am I having such a hard time parting my hair?? My fuzzy roots are absolutely DEFIANT. I'm going to try doing the parting for my style while my hair is sopping wet because when it even begins to dry, it's a nightmare.

Guinan

Re-Branding
MHM in full effect. My scalp feels so good right now. I used ACV to cleanse. This time around my hair felt great after rinsing out the ACV. I rinsed my hair with water while in the shower. Then I applied the ACV and left that on for 30mins while covered with a shower cap. I think the reason why my hair tangled so much the last time I used ACV was because I didn't leave it on long enough.

I currently have my DC on. I'm trying to decide if I want to leave the DC on overnight or for a couple of hours.

fluffyforever

I put small twists in my hair after taking out the sew-in and doing the MHM routine. I want to leave my hair twisted up so I can use less manipulation because my hair seemed to weak and breaking a lot.

Each day I have been rinsing my twisted hair in the shower, then applying gel to the twists. I plan to use clay on the twists as well this weekend to see how it goes. I'll refresh the twists as needed since I plan on wearing them throughout the fall and winter.

LavenderMint

My silk amino acids came!! I'm excited to try it tomorrow in some watery clay. Just a cap full.

I co-washed Wednesday & came out with two new pieces of information about my hair: a slightly smaller shower comb to detangle can make a big difference. (I had been using a comb recommended by my 3bc sister on my 4abc head lol) It took FOR. EVER. but was so worth it. I can now part my hair with minimal issues since I got rid of the forest of shed hair at my scalp. I had zero tangles while parting sections for twists.
The other learning moment was realizing my hair, loose or styled, LOVES lint. Every knot was hair wrapped around gossamer fine strands of lint. Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

hairtimes5

Discovered something this morning...I really need to start back dcing. This was the second time in 2 wks that I've dc'd and my hair looks so much better. Just when I think I'm doing a good job of listening to my hair, I realize that I'm not. With my regimen being so quick now, I dropped dcing thinking it wasn't all that necessary. But it is, atleast for my hair it is. Think ima pull out the steamer again too. When the weather got warmer I started neglecting these things and I thought my hair was looking good but it looks even better now.

astralpeck

I put small twists in my hair after taking out the sew-in and doing the MHM routine. I want to leave my hair twisted up so I can use less manipulation because my hair seemed to weak and breaking a lot.

Each day I have been rinsing my twisted hair in the shower, then applying gel to the twists. I plan to use clay on the twists as well this weekend to see how it goes. I'll refresh the twists as needed since I plan on wearing them throughout the fall and winter.

Just be careful, I tried doing the regimen with twists and within 1.5 weeks they started locing. Good luck.

GGsKin

Did a full MHM today. I shampood with diluted Sulphur 8 shampoo, then I did a CLCT. I followed this with a moisture dc (protein then moisture on my front hairline). I clayed with water, hibiscus tea rhassoul, c.bentonite and SAA. Finished an oil rinse, and diluted KCCC. I'll be wearing my hair out for a couple of days as I haven't properly seen it for 6 weeks.

LavenderMint

Wng from my mid week CoWash.image.jpg
A little less frizziness since I went back to applying product to dripping wet hair.

I'm starting to think my hair may not be low porosity after all. It's been loose now about a month and it's beginning to behave differently. I applied my products to dripping wet hair, let it dry for a bit but roots were still wet, banded, baggied, then bed. My hair was drippy in the morning (5:30am) but was completely dry- to the roots- by 11am. That's new. It's also very soft, THICK, & puffy at the roots (the back shows little length because of the puffiness). It may be the SAAs but I'm not complaining.

msbettyboop

I haven't been in here in a minute. Been in back to back braids for about 6 months. Taking out the last set now. Will be doing the mhm method followed by henna followed by mhm again before I put my braids back in for the rest of the summer.

Holla4mom

Hello, fellow MHM'ers. I'm catching up on posts as I have been missing in action forever!

I do have pics and am happy to share that I had enough curl definition to start wearing my hair in wash and go styles! I don't have my technique down perfectly and I'm far from root to tip curl definition all over, but to be able to rinse out the clay, put my diluted fsg on in an applicator bottle and just shake and go (i.e. Anthony Dickey style) has been great and something I could have never, ever imagined on this super tight 4c hair. So thankful for the regimen and this hangout here!

The first pic is pretty wet, the second pic is basically dry. I see progress!View media item 128443View media item 128445

Last edited:

Holla4mom

@AbsyBlvd , your hair is continuing to thrive! I had a question for you about AVJ. My hair never liked it and it always made my hair hard. I bought some KCCC, thinking I'd take a break from whipping up the FSG, but I didn't work well. One, I might not have diluted it enough and Two, I don't think my hair likes the Aloe vera that's in it.

Do you feel like AVJ makes your hair hard, but you tolerate the AV in KCCC pretty well?

GGsKin

@AbsyBlvd , your hair is continuing to thrive! I had a question for you about AVJ. My hair never liked it and it always made my hair hard. I bought some KCCC, thinking I'd take a break from whipping up the FSG, but I didn't work well. One, I might not have diluted it enough and Two, I don't think my hair likes the Aloe vera that's in it.

Do you feel like AVJ makes your hair hard, but you tolerate the AV in KCCC pretty well?

Thank you @Holla4mom. AVJ made my hair hard too. I haven't tried it again after my little foray. I do dilute the KCCC a lot so maybe that is a factor. At some point I will try it again (with the flaxseed gel too- that also made my hair crispy).