MHM Hangout

faithVA

Really? Like, roller sets and then go under the dryer? I thought you couldn't use any heat. Glad to know!

You can try drying on cool, high. Or you can try stretching and air drying first and then rollersetting dry hair. I just use heat and don't worry about it. My hair doesn't seem to do differently if I use heat or not but I dry on the cool, high setting.

junipertree

You can try drying on cool, high. Or you can try stretching and air drying first and then rollersetting dry hair. I just use heat and don't worry about it. My hair doesn't seem to do differently if I use heat or not but I dry on the cool, high setting.

Thanks @faithVA You have been very helpful. I finally took the plunge yesterday and, as with the product choices, I decided to follow the rules to the tee - at least for one week - so I'm going to just do wng's. It's going to be tough because it's getting cold but I'm working remote this week so I can avoid going out super early when it's freezing at least. And I have the time to dedicate to the entire regimen.

Here is what I did yesterday:
CLCT - I really loved this treatment. It left my hair so soft yet strong. Probably one of the best treatments I have ever done to my hair. I plan on doing this monthly.
Step 1: Clarify: Skipped for CLCT. But today I will do the baking soda/conditioner recipe since I have lo po strands.
Step 2: Deep Conditioner/Cowash: Jessicurl deep conditioning treatment for 30 minutes under dryer. My first time using this and I really loved it. Next time I will water it down less or not at all. I feel like I used too much product between this and using it for my leave-in. The bottle is almost done and that was only day 1!
Step 3: Clay Rinse. Rhassoul clay mix. I used the recipe on the MHM website but next time I will use less water. It was way too watery and used too much Rhassoul IMO. I love Rhassoul and using this recipe I will be finished with my bag in 3 days.
Step 4: Leave-in: Jessicurl deep conditioning treatment mixed with water.
Step 5: Gel: I don't like Gel so I used the water-based cream option CRN Curl Love Moisture Milk. I was never a fan of this before but I realized that my hair just has to be soaking wet when I put it on.

I sealed with Roshehip seed oil which is my new boo. I really love this stuff! I use it on my face too and what a difference it has made on my skin win just 3 days. LOVE!

I finished late yesterday so it didn't have enough time to dry. It was too wet to do anything with really so I just loosely cross wrapped and put a silk scarf on and went to bed. this morning it's still damp but I like how my hair feels and looks. I will try to post pics. Not sure if I have the dedication to do it for 7 days consecutively but I will try. My hair just takes too long to dry. I feel like it will be in a constant wet state - is that the point?

ETA: Picture
first mhm 2.jpg

Last edited:

hairtimes5

I've been on my dc game for the past few wks and it has really made a difference. The only thing is that my hair would be almost too soft which wasn't making for a nice looking wng. I thought it was because I was leaving it on too long, which was 30 mins at the most with no heat. I usually rinse, add a little leave-in, then gel. Well yesterday I decided to follow up with clay afterwards and it made a huge difference. Then I thought to myself, that's like in the original mhm. Duh!! I'm getting old.

faithVA

I did a mudwash tonight. It's been a while since I've done one midweek. I'm getting lazy. Just doing this one step seems like too much.

When I have more time, I'm going to do the clct but use conditioner as my base instead of yogurt and see how that goes. Maybe I can do it the first weekend in November.

GGsKin

Thanks @faithVA You have been very helpful. I finally took the plunge yesterday and, as with the product choices, I decided to follow the rules to the tee - at least for one week - so I'm going to just do wng's. It's going to be tough because it's getting cold but I'm working remote this week so I can avoid going out super early when it's freezing at least. And I have the time to dedicate to the entire regimen.

Here is what I did yesterday:
CLCT - I really loved this treatment. It left my hair so soft yet strong. Probably one of the best treatments I have ever done to my hair. I plan on doing this monthly.
Step 1: Clarify: Skipped for CLCT. But today I will do the baking soda/conditioner recipe since I have lo po strands.
Step 2: Deep Conditioner/Cowash: Jessicurl deep conditioning treatment for 30 minutes under dryer. My first time using this and I really loved it. Next time I will water it down less or not at all. I feel like I used too much product between this and using it for my leave-in. The bottle is almost done and that was only day 1!
Step 3: Clay Rinse. Rhassoul clay mix. I used the recipe on the MHM website but next time I will use less water. It was way too watery and used too much Rhassoul IMO. I love Rhassoul and using this recipe I will be finished with my bag in 3 days.
Step 4: Leave-in: Jessicurl deep conditioning treatment mixed with water.
Step 5: Gel: I don't like Gel so I used the water-based cream option CRN Curl Love Moisture Milk. I was never a fan of this before but I realized that my hair just has to be soaking wet when I put it on.

I sealed with Roshehip seed oil which is my new boo. I really love this stuff! I use it on my face too and what a difference it has made on my skin win just 3 days. LOVE!

I finished late yesterday so it didn't have enough time to dry. It was too wet to do anything with really so I just loosely cross wrapped and put a silk scarf on and went to bed. this morning it's still damp but I like how my hair feels and looks. I will try to post pics. Not sure if I have the dedication to do it for 7 days consecutively but I will try. My hair just takes too long to dry. I feel like it will be in a constant wet state - is that the point?

I believe so:drunk:. My hair was probably wet for the entire time- September- December last year.

fluffyforever

Hey rhassoul users!

Does anyone add a bit of bentonite to their clay mix it just switch up the type of clay once in a while? I feel that rhassoul is softer, but the definition isn't there as much with the Aztec clay. Rhassoul leaves me with a curly fro and I'm not sure if I will ever reach clumping like with bentonite.

In fact, I think rhassoul makes my clumps smaller like only a few strands per clump. Did anyone else notice this!

faithVA

Hey rhassoul users!

Does anyone add a bit of bentonite to their clay mix it just switch up the type of clay once in a while? I feel that rhassoul is softer, but the definition isn't there as much with the Aztec clay. Rhassoul leaves me with a curly fro and I'm not sure if I will ever reach clumping like with bentonite.

In fact, I think rhassoul makes my clumps smaller like only a few strands per clump. Did anyone else notice this!

Past wash day I did 1/2 calcium bentonite and half rhassoul. I often mix mine now. Next time I will do 3 tbsp. of calcium bentonite and 1.5 tbsp. of rhassoul.

Definitely feel free to mix it up. I don't think I can get good definition with straight rhassoul either. However, my hair didn't like straight calcium bentonite either so I'm trying to find a good balance.

fluffyforever

Past wash day I did 1/2 calcium bentonite and half rhassoul. I often mix mine now. Next time I will do 3 tbsp. of calcium bentonite and 1.5 tbsp. of rhassoul.

Definitely feel free to mix it up. I don't think I can get good definition with straight rhassoul either. However, my hair didn't like straight calcium bentonite either so I'm trying to find a good balance.

Ok I will try cutting in a bit of rhassoul to the Aztec clay I have tomorrow.

I have so many types of clay but I'm afraid to actually change it up. I don't want to go backwards in my progress. I need to be brave though to find out what my hair likes best.

GGsKin

Hey rhassoul users!

I mix mine as standard. Sometimes a little more of one depending on how my hair feels (or what I think it needs) :). Speaking of clay, I need to stock up on some rhassoul. My stash has lasted a good while.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Hey rhassoul users!

For months now I too have been mixing the two clays for best results! Rhassoul only over moisturizes and leave me without definition over time and bentonite only dries my hair out.

My mix surprisingly is the same as faithva because her hair is much longer than mine.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Hey guys! I miss my wing so much, in fact I'm doing one today. Those twistouts shrink up something awful and leaves my hair feeling greasy and dry, not to mention the itchy scalp. The first set was cute and lasted just about a week because I twisted my hair twice; after washing and the next morning to stretch it more. Thats just too much work. If I can't find a solution soon, I'm going to have to hide my hair away for a while...my edges can't handle wigs, weaves or braids. Not to mention, my husband don't like any of those. So either I twist it up and look like Ceily n them or stress about my hair everyday. Can anyone offer any solutions?

Guinan

Re-Branding
Hey guys! I miss my wing so much, in fact I'm doing one today. Those twistouts shrink up something awful and leaves my hair feeling greasy and dry, not to mention the itchy scalp. The first set was cute and lasted just about a week because I twisted my hair twice; after washing and the next morning to stretch it more. Thats just too much work. If I can't find a solution soon, I'm going to have to hide my hair away for a while...my edges can't handle wigs, weaves or braids. Not to mention, my husband don't like any of those. So either I twist it up and look like Ceily n them or stress about my hair everyday. Can anyone offer any solutions?

What's the length of your hair? I dont like the time it takes to do twistouts either. I've been wearing a deep side part and a bun, where there is a small front portion of hair that is in a twistout.

Buns, mini-twists, side flat twist with a bun in the back.

Napural85, has a good tutorial on a flexi rod set in the front and a partial up-do in the back.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
What's the length of your hair? I dont like the time it takes to do twistouts either. I've been wearing a deep side part and a bun, where there is a small front portion of hair that is in a twistout.

Buns, mini-twists, side flat twist with a bun in the back.

Napural85, has a good tutorial on a flexi rod set in the front and a partial up-do in the back.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still TWA, just 3-4 inches so I'm very limited.

junipertree

I did my 4th treatment but this time my dried hair feels crunchy. I love the definition but it doesn't feel soft anymore. I used bentonite this time instead of rhassoul for the clay wash and I think that's why. I actually enjoyed using the bentonite -it mixes easier than rhassoul and the definition is better but I don't like the crunchiness.

I don't think I can complete the 7 day challenge but I think I will continue to use MHM every 5 days.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still TWA, just 3-4 inches so I'm very limited.

I was looking at my old TWA pics and came across some ok hairstyles. Whenever I get to a photo resizer I'll upload some pics. That was probably the most frustrating thing about the TWA stage; the limited amount of hairstyles. What's the length of your TWA when it's stretched? In my TWA stage, it was above EL natural but when stretched it was between NL/CBL. I wore ALOT of wng's.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I did my 4th treatment but this time my dried hair feels crunchy. I love the definition but it doesn't feel soft anymore. I used bentonite this time instead of rhassoul for the clay wash and I think that's why. I actually enjoyed using the bentonite -it mixes easier than rhassoul and the definition is better but I don't like the crunchiness.

I don't think I can complete the 7 day challenge but I think I will continue to use MHM every 5 days.

Are you adding oil to your clay mixture? That would help with some of the crunchiness. I used bentonite clay and add 1tbsp of shea butter(non-approved). I used to use olive oil(approved) but it wasn't providing enough umph.

I've been kind of doing the same thing with MHM. I "reset" my hair 2x's a month. About every other wash I do the MHM. But anytime my hair feels off I "reset" by doing the full MHM. Matter of fact I am due to "reset" my hair. I just have to buy some clay.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I was looking at my old TWA pics and came across some ok hairstyles. Whenever I get to a photo resizer I'll upload some pics. That was probably the most frustrating thing about the TWA stage; the limited amount of hairstyles. What's the length of your TWA when it's stretched? In my TWA stage, it was above EL natural but when stretched it was between NL/CBL. I wore ALOT of wng's.
Great, thanks. My hair grows up and not down, Lol so I can only length check if I stretch it. The sides are just jawline, back is still neck and my bangs is just eye length. We've had some really nice weather so I did a wng. The crazy thing is I've received more compliments this weekend since my BC, my coils were popping! I'm wondering if the two weeks I stretched my hair and really moisturized and used Shea butter if that elevated my moisture levels.

nycutiepie

Well, I did a protein treatment and went to the salon for a trim. I had my hair blown out and straightened and it was easy to see all the damage. My hair is now cut back to neck length. :cry3:

I realize that my fine hair cannot skip protein and I need to keep up with my trims or I will continue this vicious cycle. I'm wigging it till Spring and will incorporate elements of MHM weekly but protein and regular trims are a necessity for my fine strands..

Guinan

Re-Branding
Great, thanks. My hair grows up and not down, Lol so I can only length check if I stretch it. The sides are just jawline, back is still neck and my bangs is just eye length. We've had some really nice weather so I did a wng. The crazy thing is I've received more compliments this weekend since my BC, my coils were popping! I'm wondering if the two weeks I stretched my hair and really moisturized and used Shea butter if that elevated my moisture levels.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
@pelohello thank you for this inspiration, they're all so nice! I bought perm rods a few weeks back, maybe I can try one of these. Its so hard getting to the back of my head because my hair is so short, its torture.

I am on day 6 of my wng and it looks and feel TERRIBLE! I can't get myself to do anything with it. I'm almost a year into my natural journey and I still haven't fully accepted the high maintenance quality of my natural texture.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
@pelohello thank you for this inspiration, they're all so nice! I bought perm rods a few weeks back, maybe I can try one of these. Its so hard getting to the back of my head because my hair is so short, its torture.

I am on day 6 of my wng and it looks and feel TERRIBLE! I can't get myself to do anything with it. I'm almost a year into my natural journey and I still haven't fully accepted the high maintenance quality of my natural texture.
High maintenance! You ain't kidding. I'm still waiting for the length when bedtime prep doesn't mean an hour moisturizing and re-twisting my hair.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
High maintenance! You ain't kidding. I'm still waiting for the length when bedtime prep doesn't mean an hour moisturizing and re-twisting my hair.

Girl the two weeks I tried my hand at twistouts was nothing nice. If you don't retwist at night I wake up to a shrunken mess and if I do twist, I have product overload and my hair starts to feel terrible. I'm at a loss...my wng's looks good on days 1-3 and then it's rinse and repeat. I just don't feel like it anymore. Why me!!

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Girl the two weeks I tried my hand at twistouts was nothing nice. If you don't retwist at night I wake up to a shrunken mess and if I do twist, I have product overload and my hair starts to feel terrible. I'm at a loss...my wng's looks good on days 1-3 and then it's rinse and repeat. I just don't feel like it anymore. Why me!!
Why us, you mean. I can't even get a wng to last overnight!

Guinan

Re-Branding
^^^yeah, my wng's are still a hit or miss. No matter the length, I usually have to ALWAYS re-wet and re-scrunch it in the morning. Really the only time that I can just shake it and go is when it's 3-4 days old and I stretch the heck out of my curls with shea butter. I REALLY wish I would have learned that technique when I had a TWA.