MHM Hangout

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I did a mud wash with rhassoul and then DCd with Naturelle Grow Herbal Blends. I have really nice coils with the clay in. Not sure what I need to do to retain them. Maybe just using gel would work but I'm think I am going to wait until it warms up to try another wng. I'm doing a curlformer set tonight.

Terraveda Organix modified their max hydration bundle and shortened it from 7 products to 5. So I bought the new low porosity bundle on Black Friday. If I get it by next weekend, I will try it out and I may do a wng then to test the product out.
I found that when I was doing MHM regularly, I needed to do the clay after the DC. For some reason the curls never stayed for me the other way around.

faithVA

I found that when I was doing MHM regularly, I needed to do the clay after the DC. For some reason the curls never stayed for me the other way around.
I don't have coils after I rinse no matter what I do. I don't usually use conditioner so its not the culprit. I've done the original MHM which did the mud after. I've done conditioner after. I've done thin conditioners, water down, etc. I've done the modified with just clay. Once I rinse out the clay any definition seen with the clay is gone. And I've been doing MHM at least 1.5 years.

I probably need to try protein every two weeks but I will try that next year.

faithVA

@faithVA DubaiDee seems to have a method that can't loose. Every head she shows seems to get immediate definition after one or two rounds. Recently, I've been stagnant when it comes to DIY mixes and trying new things but I think I will try a few of her recipes next year to see how my hair takes them.
Let me know how it goes. She does have great success. During the spring I worked with her one on one via phone to see if I could figure out what's wrong. We didn't come up with anything conclusive. I'm hoping the Terra Veda along with some additional length helps.

If not I will get back to full MHM in the spring.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I don't have coils after I rinse no matter what I do. I don't usually use conditioner so its not the culprit. I've done the original MHM which did the mud after. I've done conditioner after. I've done thin conditioners, water down, etc. I've done the modified with just clay. Once I rinse out the clay any definition seen with the clay is gone. And I've been doing MHM at least 1.5 years.

@faithVA my hair does the exact same thing! Shoot I started MHM way before you! :lol: Maybe we just have special hair! Hopefully the TVO products will help us keep our curls after rinsing out the clay.

hairtimes5

Haven't washed my hair since last Wednesday, I've been wearing twists under a beanie. At night I put on a plastic cap under my satin cap. This is what I did the winter before last and I think I'm going to do it this winter too. I'll take the twists down for a twist out for special occasions, other than that I'm just tired of messing with my hair. I want to get a trim soon though.

Ajna

Interesting. This summer when I was sailing over the summer and came to the harsh reality of to much salt and a water shortage I had to get really creative. So I did a beer rinse. Basically I used beer instead of clay or shampoo let it sit for 5-10 mins then I rinsed it out applied conditioner and it left me with curls. The other one I used when I was trying to figure out my MHM routine was horsetail, marshmallow and green tea rinses, I would steep the herbs for about 30 minutes and my final step was the rinse, I did not rinse it out, just blotted my hair dry and added gel.

Let me know if you try it and what you think.

faithVA

Interesting. This summer when I was sailing over the summer and came to the harsh reality of to much salt and a water shortage I had to get really creative. So I did a beer rinse. Basically I used beer instead of clay or shampoo let it sit for 5-10 mins then I rinsed it out applied conditioner and it left me with curls. The other one I used when I was trying to figure out my MHM routine was horsetail, marshmallow and green tea rinses, I would steep the herbs for about 30 minutes and my final step was the rinse, I did not rinse it out, just blotted my hair dry and added gel.

Let me know if you try it and what you think.
I'm a bit confused. Did either of those help
in some way? What is it they helped with?

Ajna

I'm a bit confused. Did either of those help
in some way? What is it they helped with?

Sorry Faith, you mention you don't have coils after rinsing. Both of these methods left me with coils and curl definition.

With the beer I did not have the aid of gel and I left the watered down conditioner in my hair. So it was really surprising I had any definition let alone coils.

faithVA

Sorry Faith, you mention you don't have coils after rinsing. Both of these methods left me with coils and curl definition.

With the beer I did not have the aid of gel and I left the watered down conditioner in my hair. So it was really surprising I had any definition let alone coils.
Ok thanks for clarifying. I will let you know if I try either.

Ajna

@faithVA & @Ajna I'm definitely going to try the beer. I used to do beer rinses when I was transitioning. I can't tell you what it did. LOL

Let us know how it works for you. My hair was a cottony little bush and after two weeks of being in salt air, it really was not cooperating. I had gotten the dryness under control with coconut milk and avocado but with no gel I had no curl. So one afternoon I had a 3/4 of a bottle of beer from the night before and thought why not, I heard it would make your hair shiny which for me was something so with no internet to guide me. I gave it a shot poured the whole thing on my head and my curls came right back. I was so happy!

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Hi all! It's good to see plenty of activity here...I'm paying attention to all the new methods and products. I'm not doing anything other than cleansing, conditioning and twisting my hair. I don't plan to do anything else to it until the Spring aside from the few events I have planned that requires me to do something to my head. My hair is growing nicely so I'm leaving well enough alone...I've just about given up on having any wearable wng coils at my length. I'll probably try again in the Spring but I don't have much hope for success.

AJellyCake

Still doing MHM. I realized that I need to wash more hair more than 1-2 times per week. It's just naturally very dry.

So to get in another wash during the week, I've been doing a modified clay wash. Just clay left my hair dry and I couldn't detangle. Now, I wet half of my hair, put conditioner in and finger detangle. Then I do the other half. Then I rinse out, starting with the first half (this takes 5-10 minutes). Then I do the clay step for as long as I can. Then rinse. Leave-in. Gel. Seems to work! I can do they two times a week and then the full MHM once a week.

I think my hair really loves rhassoul+bentonite. Half and half.

Also! I got a hair cut a few weeks ago. From grazing hip length to more WHIP/waist length with some layers. It's fun so far! I'll keep growing it out though. Also need to dust my ends.

Hope it's going well for everyone else!

faithVA

Still doing MHM. I realized that I need to wash more hair more than 1-2 times per week. It's just naturally very dry.

So to get in another wash during the week, I've been doing a modified clay wash. Just clay left my hair dry and I couldn't detangle. Now, I wet half of my hair, put conditioner in and finger detangle. Then I do the other half. Then I rinse out, starting with the first half (this takes 5-10 minutes). Then I do the clay step for as long as I can. Then rinse. Leave-in. Gel. Seems to work! I can do they two times a week and then the full MHM once a week.

I think my hair really loves rhassoul+bentonite. Half and half.

Also! I got a hair cut a few weeks ago. From grazing hip length to more WHIP/waist length with some layers. It's fun so far! I'll keep growing it out though. Also need to dust my ends.

Hope it's going well for everyone else!
Have you tried just doing a water rinse for one of those washes? or just doing the cowash. I have found as well that I definitely don't need to leave the clay in as long.

AJellyCake

Have you tried just doing a water rinse for one of those washes? or just doing the cowash. I have found as well that I definitely don't need to leave the clay in as long.
Good tips! I definitely need to experiment with the clay timing. What do you think is the minimum length of time that's still effective?

faithVA

Good tips! I definitely need to experiment with the clay timing. What do you think is the minimum length of time that's still effective?
I think leaving the clay in long enough to detangle and take a shower is long enough for most weeks. Save the extended times when you notice you need it. I would get your hair the way you like it and then every wash after that keep it in the minimum time. When you see your hair not behaving the way you need it, then extend the time a bit if you need to clarify or get extra moisture from the clay.

faithVA

I haven't done a clct in months. Maybe the spring :look: I put it on dry hair and really worked it in. I combed my roots with a small tooth comb. That was really helpful because I can get loose hair that I just can't get with my fingers. But I only comb down 1" from the roots and then I finger detangle after that. I trimmed my ends on Friday so it was easy to finger detangle.

It's already been in for 1 hour but I will leave it in 1 hour longer. Then I will do a mud wash. I'm not going to bother with any gel. I'm going to do leave-in, oil and Design Essentials and put it back into flat twist.

If I get any coils after the clay I will take pictures.

faithVA

No pics. My coils were so defined with the clay in. When I rinsed I'm left with nothing but a mass of hair. But they are in there. I think they just need something heavy to weigh them down. By the time I finished with the clay I just wanted to be done. Too tired to fool with gel even if I wanted to.