MHM Hangout

BrownSkinPoppin

formerly NaturallyBri87
1. Which regimen are you doing? Pinkecube MHM?, DubaiDees Modifed MHM?, AketaFitgirls Original?, DanaB? Other? Please describe..
2. When did you start the regimen? August 7th 2016
3. How often do you do the method? Will try to do it every month and a half. Might have the time for every month.
4. Benefits seen so far. My curls are a lot more defined with no product
5. Anything else you would like to share. n/a
6. Starting Photo. i can never upload pictures on here from my phone.
7. Current Picture if you have one. i can never upload pictures on here from my phone
8. List your steps and products. New comers may find this helpful when looking at products and modifications.
Bentonite Clay, Shea moisture green conditioner as the cowash (using up my stash). as i am leave in conditioner, curls botanical gel.

SheWalks

I can't tell much of a difference between bentonite & rhassoul on my hair. In some cases bentonite comes out ahead, which is 100% okay with me since bentonite is cheaper. I'm going to eventually pick up bulk apothecary's bentonite. 50lb for $50 is amazing as I won't have to worry about clay for a long time, my family has started to dig into my clay stash so it's going quicker than it should. I'm using a mix of bentonite, coconut milk, marshmallow root, slippery elm, honey & citric acid. I need to hurry up and get my measurements down so I can make bigger batches. Still using diluted kinky curly + diluted knot today. I still don't get how knot today manages to elongate my hair so much. I'm convinced that KC doesn't list the full ingredients list.

I'm going to be pushing to do my hair every other day this week/next week starting now(currently fan drying a wash & go because it's hot).

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I tried this method....I was only able to get 5 days in out of the 7 but this method changed my hair life.
I used Kinky Curly products to get the maximum benefit of this method and was I in for a shocker. Not only did I get the best wash n go of my life...but utilizing the MHM allowed me to use less product.

Seriously 16.99 for a bottle of Kinky Curly gel (and the other botanical gels) I strayed from those. But using the MHM I used 1/4 KC custard out of 5 washes. If I did one wash a week...that's one jar for 5 months. I was using that gallon tub of ECO in 5 months.

I'm a believer!!! After the MHM my hair can only get healthier from now on. I never knew my hair could be this way. I feel way more attractive with my hair now then I did before.

bhndbrwneyes

My hair is 3C/4a and I have low porosity hair. I have done MHM on and off but there are just too many steps for me to do it consistently. I can never make it through the 7 consecutive days because it's literally an all night process and adds about 1-1.5 hours to my routine in the morning. However, I will tell you that it works, the best WnG I ever had was the first day I tried the method (my avatar photo). I also liked the fact of having one primary product that you dilute and mix in varying degrees for you DC, leave-in, etc. Cuts down on having to buy a ton of products. I chose Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner and absolutely love it. I also love the botanical gels because they don't leave any build up. I don't think I can commit to MHM but I will try to start incorporating some of the products and steps in a more simplified routine, for example using clay products.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I just restocked on Millcreek Jojoba Protein conditioner and clay. I'm trying out a new clay brand; Redmond Bentonite Clay. I noticed that Millcreek changed their bottle. Hopefully they didn't change their ingredients. I also purchased another large spray bottle from Sally's. I am going to use this bottle for the ACV. I used to buy my bottles from Target but they suck; they kept breaking.

SheWalks

I just restocked on Millcreek Jojoba Protein conditioner and clay. I'm trying out a new clay brand; Redmond Bentonite Clay. I noticed that Millcreek changed their bottle. Hopefully they didn't change their ingredients. I also purchased another large spray bottle from Sally's. I am going to use this bottle for the ACV. I used to buy my bottles from Target but they suck; they kept breaking.
Not sure about the jojoba but they changed the biotin & keratin for sure.

GGsKin

@pelohello They changed the formula of the jojoba but I still works well. For me, it has more slip now.

faithVA

I've been mudding for a few days and seeing more curls. I added gel last night but twisted it up. Not sure how it would look if I let it dry. With my length and my uneven shrinkage I still dont think it would be wearable. .

I'm on the fence as to whether Im going to mud every few days or just wait until spring. I will probably wait until spring when I ha e more length and just mud occasionally until then.

faithVA

I twisted my hair up last night around 10. I took out my twist today around 2 and my hair was still very wet. When I get back from vacation I will see if I need to do my hair every 2 days or every 3 days.

Did mud again today but used a thinner version and let it sit in long enough to detangle. I finally figured out how to apply gel to my hair so it's much faster and more effective. I thought I did this before and it didn't work. But maybe I didn't. I see more coils and some clumping but I'm still afraid to let it dry loose :lol: I put in twist towards my crown.

I can finally see how mud and gel can be a simple regimen. Even without defined coils putting my hair into twist is easier and they look so much better than when I do my regular regimen of leave-in, cream and gel.

Guinan

Re-Branding
1. Prepoo: Water, Olive oil and WGHO. I will no longer use WGHO on the length of my hair b/c it's causing a white paste.
2. Water rinsed
3. I currently have ACV/Water and Rhassoul clay on my hair. I plan on leaving this on for about an hour. Then I will DC overnight with tressume.

For my wng tomorrow, I'm gonna have to use curl maker since I only have alil of KCC. I may use KCC in the front of my hair and the curl maker in the back.

NEXT WASH: Most likely thurs or Friday. I will be trying out the Redmond clay. I hope I like it!

faithVA

Mudwashed with a mix of water, 2 T bentonite, 1 T sodium bentonite, 1 T calcium bentonite and a squirt of ACV. I made it runnier but it dried nicely on my hair. It takes me forever to finger detangle so I didn't let it sit any longer. I notice some areas have webbing so I'm trying to work through that. I don't quite have root to tip definition with the mud but it's getting there. I'm taking a few days break from mudding. I hope I maintain my progress.

I rinsed and gelled with KCCC and did the head shake. My hair clumped up nicely, excluding my sides and my crown. I pinned those back. It actually looked like a wearable wash and go. I let it dry for about 15 minutes before I put it in flat twist. It looked like it was going to frizz up.

I will try to wash again on Thursday or Friday. I will cowash and see how that works.

Guinan

Re-Branding
1. Prepoo: Water, Olive oil and WGHO. I will no longer use WGHO on the length of my hair b/c it's causing a white paste.
2. Water rinsed
3. I currently have ACV/Water and Rhassoul clay on my hair. I plan on leaving this on for about an hour. Then I will DC overnight with tressume.

For my wng tomorrow, I'm gonna have to use curl maker since I only have alil of KCC. I may use KCC in the front of my hair and the curl maker in the back.

NEXT WASH: Most likely thurs or Friday. I will be trying out the Redmond clay. I hope I like it!

I'm delightfully surprised that the ACV and clay was able to remove the white pastey goop that was in my hair. I was prepared to use shampoo, lol. I need to restock on KCC, but I have two full bottles of curl maker that I would like to use up first.

Guinan

Re-Branding
2. Water rinsed

This was the BEST wash day everrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no knots:):) I think it's b/c I've been really consistent with the MHM reggie and I have been REALLY working on my detangling technique.

I REALLY like the Redmond clay. I mixed it with water, ACV, honey and olive oil. Next wash day will either be Monday or Tuesday. I hope I have another successful wash.

faithVA

Friiday I conditioned with a Quinoa conditioner and then twisted with gel. Last night I did a mudwash and twisted with gel. My hair looks much better when I just mudwash and twist with gel. The conditioner leaves a film on my hair and the water beads on top. After a day my hair just looks dull.

For now going to am to do 1 midweek wash and do at least 1 weekend wash but if I feel like it possibly do two. I'm going to just do mud and gel and see if my hair is any more hydrated over the next 6 to 8 weeks. After gelling I will just put my flat twist back in until the next wash day.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Today was wash day. No pre-poo today or finger detangling. I thoroughly rinsed my hair and let it dry a bit. Next, I sprayed ACV and then applied my clay. I let the mixture sit for about an hour. I currently have my DC on my hair. I will DC overnight. I did have about two knots that I had to cut out. I think it's b/c I did not pre-poo/finger detangle prior to rinsing my hair and I went too long without finger detangling. I'm trying to at least either wash my hair 2x's a week or finger detangle 2x's week.

Next wash day will probably be Monday.

faithVA

I have been doing mud and gel for the past couple of weeks and seeing some better results. I tried the Teraveda Organix mud over the week. It makes my hair soft which is good but I think the oil and honey prevents my coils from clumping.

Tonight I tried cowashing with Trader Joes Nourish Spa. It works well for finger detangling but it doesn't smooth my hair like the mud does. And I could tell when I put in the gel that I didn't get enough water in my hair to help my curls clump.

But it is good to try things out and finger out what is working and what is not.

Over the weekend I will try the mud again without any ACV and leave it on for a few hours.

I use the ACV to keep the clay from clumping. I just use clay and water. I can't put any oil or honey in my clay. Any suggestions for keeping the clay smooth?

GGsKin

@faithVA I can only suggest using literally an couple of drops of ACV to get that creamy-smooth (especially because I mix in a bottle). Unless you mix it in a bowl and can get all the clumps by hand. Often my mix can still smooth with large clumps but I'll just smooth in into my hair the same way, it all works out.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I have been doing mud and gel for the past couple of weeks and seeing some better results. I tried the Teraveda Organix mud over the week. It makes my hair soft which is good but I think the oil and honey prevents my coils from clumping.

Tonight I tried cowashing with Trader Joes Nourish Spa. It works well for finger detangling but it doesn't smooth my hair like the mud does. And I could tell when I put in the gel that I didn't get enough water in my hair to help my curls clump.

But it is good to try things out and finger out what is working and what is not.

Over the weekend I will try the mud again without any ACV and leave it on for a few hours.

I use the ACV to keep the clay from clumping. I just use clay and water. I can't put any oil or honey in my clay. Any suggestions for keeping the clay smooth?

Now that I'm back to using bentonite clay, I always have clumps. But I like the clumps b/c if not my clay is too watery. I haven't been sticking to the measurements, except for the honey and oil. When I was using rhassoul clay, I rarely had any clumps. Do you think mixing with warm to hot water would help eliminate the clumps?

faithVA

@faithVA I can only suggest using literally an couple of drops of ACV to get that creamy-smooth (especially because I mix in a bottle). Unless you mix it in a bowl and can get all the clumps by hand. Often my mix can still smooth with large clumps but I'll just smooth in into my hair the same way, it all works out.

I was trying to skip the ACV to prevent reducing the PH of the clay. Even a drop brings the PH down.

I put my mix in a squeeze bottle and the clumps clog up the hole. It's not major but it's just irritating to have to take the top off to remove the clump. I can work around it. I was just checking to see if there was another way.

faithVA

Now that I'm back to using bentonite clay, I always have clumps. But I like the clumps b/c if not my clay is too watery. I haven't been sticking to the measurements, except for the honey and oil. When I was using rhassoul clay, I rarely had any clumps. Do you think mixing with warm to hot water would help eliminate the clumps?

I always uses warm to hot water but I still have clumps. Maybe I will try putting the clay in very slowly while shaking to see if that helps.

The clumps clog up my bottle. I will work around it if I have to.

GGsKin

I always uses warm to hot water but I still have clumps. Maybe I will try putting the clay in very slowly while shaking to see if that helps.

The clumps clog up my bottle. I will work around it if I have to.

Yeah, I stopped using the applicator nozzle because of the bolded. I still shake, mix with a chopstick, and shake again. I don't get all the clumps all the time but removing the bottle top was my workaround:)

faithVA

OK so I tried the mud tonight and I got it to work. I will try it again tomorrow to make sure it wasn't a fluke. To be fair though I am putting it in a bottle which already has about 1" of mudwash in it that has ACV in it. But I didn't add any more.

I started with warm to hot water and put in about 6 oz. Then I put 1/2 tbsp at a time of each clay and shook it up before adding an addition 1/2 tbsp. I used 1 tbsp each of rhassoul, sodium bentonite and calcium bentonite. Before adding the calcium bentonite, I added an addition 3 oz of water.

The consistency was right. It was runny but not super watery. And I didn't have any lumps.

I'm trying to see if there is any difference on my hair using ACV or not.

Tomorrow I'm going to try leaving the mud on longer. I've never done an overnight and don't think I could stand it on my head that long. But tomorrow I'm going to try doing 4 hours and see if I notice any difference.

I just wish I had some quick way to put it up at night without having to twist it :ohwell: Maybe in the spring.

faithVA

My conclusion is the mudwash with ACV gives me more coils. However, if I want to stretch my hair to style in something other than a wng, the skip the ACV for more stretch.

I decide to try the wetline gel for the first time tonight. That stuff is like glue. I had to add water to my hand to get it through my hair. Not my hair is stuck together in weird clumps. I'm not sure how this is going to work out :lol: I decided not to twist tonight. I'm just going to put on a plastic cap and see what I'm working with in the morning. If the wetline hasn't glued all my hair together I will wear a puff. If it has I will water rinse and then use the As I Am gel and still try to wear a puff.

I hate sleeping with a plastic cap on. I hope I can make it through the night.

faithVA

I let it air dry for about 30 minutes and I could tell it was going to be a mess. So I rinsed out the Wetline and I put in the As I Am. It felt so much better. In the future I will try mixing the Wetline with a lighter gel. Just from rinsing I can tell the Wetline gel acts similar to flax seed gel on my hair, almost like an astringent. When I rinsed my hair had this squeaky feeling. Perhaps the PH is high on the Wetline. I didn't test that.

I'm almost out of As I Am gel so I'm going to switch over to the Curl Magic. I was going to give this bottle away but it's going to come in handy.

faithVA

Can you Bantu knot? It is MUCH quicker than twisting, for me.
I could but my hair would just be a fro when I took out the bantu knots. I wouldn't give me a wearable style.

I ended up putting it in two flat twist this morning. That was a struggle too. Man I can't wait for my hair to grow out.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I tried the PinkeCube roll and pin last night. That was a fail. Touching my hair while super wet is a no no.

I'm just testing things out now. Tonight is my final test this week. I will give it a rest until I come up with some other brilliant idea.

I'm testing, too. Glad to have company. As long as I don't let my Bantu knots dry, I'm okay. Sprangz works for me for elongation during drying, but I won't try sleeping in them.