MHM Hangout

faithVA

Thank you ever so much, @faithVA.

I think before I attempt this next MHM round, I might get my hair flat ironed so the stylist can examine my ends.

I am so glad for your knowledge base about all of this! Thank you. I can, for example, ask you this :smile::

How does the TerraVeda Carmel-tini compare to the Cherry Lola Caramel treatment, effect-on-hair-wise? Do they accomplish COMPLETELY different things?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. How is your hair faring?
My hair doesn't define well so I'm not a good reviewer. I've use them interchangeably because they soften my hair and that's about it. I don't end up with any more definition of one versus the other. What I can say about the Carmeltini is that it is ph balanced and I can sleep in it. It's not as runny Saturday the clct. I couldn't sleep in the clct.

Give the Carmeltini a shot. It won't hurt anything. You might love it and it's easier than mixing all of those ingredients.

My hair is doing great well. It likes the simple method of just mud and gel. Who knew? I'm getting ready to switch back to shampoo and curling creams for the winter. I will come back to mhm in the spring when I hope to have more length and wear my hair out.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My hair doesn't define well so I'm not a good reviewer. I've use them interchangeably because they soften my hair and that's about it. I don't end up with any more definition of one versus the other. What I can say about the Carmeltini is that it is ph balanced and I can sleep in it. It's not as runny Saturday the clct. I couldn't sleep in the clct.

Give the Carmeltini a shot. It won't hurt anything. You might love it and it's easier than mixing all of those ingredients.

My hair is doing great well. It likes the simple method of just mud and gel. Who knew? I'm getting ready to switch back to shampoo and curling creams for the winter. I will come back to mhm in the spring when I hope to have more length and wear my hair out.

Thanks, Faith. Glad to hear your hair is doing well.

I used the Carmeltini a few times and couldn't tell it was doing anything. I didn't mind it, though! I'm going to revisit it (if I didn't donate it away, that is! I'll have to look!!! :smile:)

faithVA

Thanks, Faith. Glad to hear your hair is doing well.

I used the Carmeltini a few times and couldn't tell it was doing anything. I didn't mind it, though! I'm going to revisit it (if I didn't donate it away, that is! I'll have to look!!! :smile:)
Check out dubaidee4c video on yt. It may inspire you to do a regular clct and try her method.

The Carmeltini didn't do much for my hair either. It was just easier.

faithVA

I was supposed to do one more MHM treatment this week but when Wednesday came I was over washing my hair. I may do it off an on during the following months but for the most part I will wait until spring to try it again. I'm back to shampoo and cowashing for now.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
YouTube's ProtectivePrincess's personalization of the MHM (https://youtu.be/nXSb31rUIvc) has me inspired to do the same.

Jakeala (on Etsy.com) has products with ingredients that look like they could possibly do two and three steps of the MHM at once. I ordered some of her products on Black Friday, and they came in today.

There are so many potential combinations of her products that might work effectively to do the MHM. Aside: The cowash bar smells divine!!! Best hair product I've ever smelled!!!

Jakeala products I ordered (photos enlarges upon click):
WP_20161217_067.jpg WP_20161217_080.jpg

Here's that meme explaining the original steps of the MHM:

Toward Personalizing the MHM for My Hair/Needs
For my first attempt at a personalized and Jakeala-centric MHM regimen, I'm going to try the following. It will both reverse steps 1 and 2 and will add a step for applying growth aids and end protection.
  1. Prepoo & detangle & cowash (cowash as step 1 of 2 in "reverse cleansing," i.e., conditioning then cleanse):
    Jakeala marshmallow root conditioner bar
  2. ??? Clarify with ACV ??? (I might be able to omit this because the product in step 3 contains ACV):
    Jakeala ACV and Cherries shampoo bar
  3. Deeply moisturize & condition with clay:
    Jakeala Beau Vert Masque on dried hair steamed in
  4. Care for ends and edges:
    Apply Netwurks spray to edges and scalp using color applicator bottle; THEN apply mixture of Netwurks custard, castor oil, and jojoba oil to ends
  5. Moisturize & seal:
    Apply Jakeala Peach Hair Milk to hair's shaft in sections (first try it by itself since it contains oils and assess how long hair stays moisturized, then if necessary next time try mixing it with jojoba oil before applying to hair's shaft)
If I am indeed able to skip step 2 and its product, then that would be lovely! I'll have to see: Just because the Beau Vert masque contains ACV does not mean my hair will be "clarified" or cleansed with it in the form it's in, the way the MHM is calling for.

I'll try to remember to report back after I've trialed this in January for a few weeks.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Finally MHM after having my hair straight for a month. Before I started MHM (just shampooed my hair) my hair was SUPER frizzy and wasn't taking in the water.

:afro: Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean (Not Approved)
:afro:Clarify: Diluted ACV
:afro:Protein: Millcreek Jojoba Conditioner (Not Approved)
:afro:DC: Tressume Curls undone
:afro:Clay: Bentonite, Olive oil, honey, water and ACV
:afro:Leave-ins: KCNT & Tressume &Water
:afro:Styler: Kinky Curly Custard & Kinky Curly Polisher (Not approved)

The results are insane!!! If I hadn't taken pics I wouldn't believe it. It's like two different heads of hair.

My hair after shampooing with KC:

My hair after doing the full MHM 1x, no product:

My Hair Wet with product

My hair Dry:

Attachments

• rps20161228_232657.jpg
    rps20161228_232657.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 329
  • rps20161228_232627.jpg
    rps20161228_232627.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 46
  • rps20161229_145843.jpg
    rps20161229_145843.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 327
  • rps20161229_145812.jpg
    rps20161229_145812.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 325
  • rps20161229_170910.jpg
    rps20161229_170910.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 46
  • rps20161229_145526.jpg
    rps20161229_145526.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

GGsKin

Excellent results @pelohello your hair looks fabulous as always. If you haven't already, you should go ahead and post your straightening technique in that other revived thread. I love your straightening results and it's great seeing you maintain without damage.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
YouTube's ProtectivePrincess's personalization of the MHM (https://youtu.be/nXSb31rUIvc) has me inspired to do the same.

Jakeala (on Etsy.com) has products with ingredients that look like they could possibly do two and three steps of the MHM at once. I ordered some of her products on Black Friday, and they came in today.

There are so many potential combinations of her products that might work effectively to do the MHM. Aside: The cowash bar smells divine!!! Best hair product I've ever smelled!!!

View attachment 382455 View attachment 382461

For my first attempt at a personalized and Jakeala-centric MHM regimen, I'm going to try the following. It will both reverse steps 1 and 2 and will add a step for applying growth aids and end protection.
  1. Prepoo & detangle & cowash (cowash as step 1 of 2 in "reverse cleansing," i.e., conditioning then cleanse):
  2. ??? Clarify with ACV ??? (I might be able to omit this because the product in step 3 contains ACV):
    Apply Netwurks spray to edges and scalp using color applicator bottle; THEN apply mixture of Netwurks custard, castor oil, and jojoba oil to ends
  5. Moisturize & seal:
    Apply Jakeala Peach Hair Milk to hair's shaft in sections (first try it by itself since it contains oils and assess how long hair stays moisturized, then if necessary next time try mixing it with jojoba oil before applying to hair's shaft)
If I am indeed able to skip step 2 and its product, then that would be lovely! I'll have to see: Just because the Beau Vert masque contains ACV does not mean my hair will be "clarified" or cleansed with it in the form it's in, the way the MHM is calling for.

I'll try to remember to report back after I've trialed this in January for a few weeks.

Update:
  1. The Jakeala marshmallow root conditioner bar: It's the best-smelling thing I've ever smelled. Ever. Evah. However, I had a hard time cowashing with it because I couldn't really tell that it was going onto my hair. I think for me it needs a little more slip, or perhaps I need to try it on freshly washed hair? Not sure. (I was trying to use it on wet, dirty hair.) I ended up stopping trying to cowash with it and just moving on to using the ACV and Cherries shampoo bar . . .
  2. The Jakeala ACV and Cherries shampoo bar: Did a nice, nice job! Scalp felt great. Hair felt really cleansed. This was less stripping than the Jakeala ACV shampoo (liquid) that I have.
  3. The Jakeala Beau Vert Masque: I really, really enjoyed this one! To my nose it smelled a little minty and then almost chocolatey, too. It felt great and left my hair in good condition. It was an unmessy way of using clay on the hair.
  4. Jakeala Peach Hair Milk: Smells so yummy. Jury is still out for me on its performance: It felt a little thin for my hair's liking, perhaps? HOWEVER, I wore my hair for 5 days and my hair was easily "remoisturized" just from spritzing and shower steaming, so perhaps the Peach Hair Milk was performing well. I'll have to try it again.
I tried a DIFFERENT combination of Jakeala products before, and my hair felt AMAZING with that combo. I used her:
  1. ACV shampoo (liquid)
  2. Honey Hair Thang Mask
  3. (balancing) Beer Conditioner
My hair, before applying any moisturizers and stylers, felt amazing: My ends had zero puffiness when I twisted my hair up after that combination. That was a first for me.

I'm currently trying yet a different combination. I'll post an update once I'm done and have worn my hair with it for a few days. The whole month of January is Jakeala MHM month :smile:, so I'll try to remember to post updates.

I hope everyone and their hair are doing well!

fluffyforever

I chopped all but 4 inches of my BSL hair back in July because I got lazy and my hair was suffering. Yesterday was my first time doing MHM (modified with non approved products) since after my chop and although my hair wasn't defined at all like before the chop, my hair was the softest I've ever had it. It felt like a texture change how moisturized my hair was.

My modified MHM
1. Shampoo twice with Nexxus promend daily shampoo
2. Protein D.C. With MC keratin for 1 hour
3. Condition with Oyin Honey Hemp
4. Rhassoul black tea clay treatment for 1 hour
5. Quarter size amount of Oyin Hair Dew for leave in
6. Wetline professional xtreme gel

Guinan

Re-Branding
Finally MHM after having my hair straight for a month. Before I started MHM (just shampooed my hair) my hair was SUPER frizzy and wasn't taking in the water.

:afro: Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean (Not Approved)
:afro:Clarify: Diluted ACV
:afro:Protein: Millcreek Jojoba Conditioner (Not Approved)
:afro:DC: Tressume Curls undone
:afro:Clay: Bentonite, Olive oil, honey, water and ACV
:afro:Leave-ins: KCNT & Tressume &Water
:afro:Styler: Kinky Curly Custard & Kinky Curly Polisher (Not approved)

The results are insane!!! If I hadn't taken pics I wouldn't believe it. It's like two different heads of hair.

My hair after shampooing with KC:

My hair after doing the full MHM 1x, no product:

My Hair Wet with product

My hair Dry:

I mixed together some clay. I really like the consistency; it's looks like a smoothie. When I would mix my clay in a bowl; I would always have lumps. However, this time I mixed the clay in an old bentonite clay container and I have been getting really smooth clay.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I mixed together some clay. I really like the consistency; it's looks like a smoothie. When I would mix my clay in a bowl; I would always have lumps. However, this time I mixed the clay in an old bentonite clay container and I have been getting really smooth clay.

I had a really bad wash day yesterday:( I had been using Redmond clay for about 2mths. I ran out of that clay and returned to using the Aztec clay out of convenience. My hair did not respond well at all! My hair felt EXTREMELY coated and the clay did not rinse out of my hair. I had to use shampoo. My scalp felt like it was burning; like it was irritated or something. I have no idea why this happened. When I 1st started doing MHM, I always used the Aztec clay.

I am going to try to use the Aztec clay again next week; but this time I'm only going to mix it with water.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

5. Moisturize & seal:

Update:

I'm still aiming to personalize the MHM so that I can stick to a moisturizing hair care schedule. I've spend the 1st quarter of this year trying to find staple and HG products. I found a lot and feel like I have really made progress by doing so! My intention is to now be disciplined and employ them for the month of April 2017.

I'll start out trying this:

Around the 24th of the month, apply a Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener treatment.

Weekly, on Sunday afternoons:
  1. Cleanse
    • Apply scalp cleanser to scalp: Silk Elements Pre-Cleanse Scalp Treatment
    • If no clarification is needed: Apply mud-poo to strands: Sheaterra Rosemary Carrot Seed Moroccan Rhassoul Mud-Poo
    • If clarification is need: Prepoo with Soultanicals Hair Glide, installing twists, and apply an ACV shampoo to strands
    • Massage scalp cleanser in with a shampoo brush and leave in for 5-10 minutes
    • Bantu knot hair up
  2. Deep condition then re-bantu knot hair up: Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Deep Penetrating Hair Treatment
  3. Moisturize: Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion
  4. Care for ends: Netwurks custard
  5. Seal: Curl Prep Curl Crush Around the Way Gel
  6. Care for edges: Netwurks spray
  7. Style: Twist-out, high puff, set (using crimpers or deep wave formers), or elongated wash-and-go (using curlformers, e.g.)
Monday - Saturday as needed:
Protect each night, refresh with a spray or shower water, cowash with SM hipo masque, moisturize with CJ Smoothing Lotion, and Seal with Curl Prep gel.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Anyone still doing this method???

Bumping this for you. :smile: Hopefully folks see it and respond.

I like doing a simplified and personalized version of the max hydration method. When I'm trialing cleansers, I don't tend to follow the MHM. Otherwise, I typically find myself doing it (sometimes getting the ACV as a primary ingredient in a product).

Here's a thought-provoking and detailed and deep look at the MHM by a highly educated lady (I think she's an MD and hair product creator). It helps the viewer think through the use and logic of the steps, ingredient restrictions, etc.

CheChe1881

Bumping this for you. :smile: Hopefully folks see it and respond.

I like doing a simplified and personalized version of the max hydration method. When I'm trialing cleansers, I don't tend to follow the MHM. Otherwise, I typically find myself doing it (sometimes getting the ACV as a primary ingredient in a product).

Here's a thought-provoking and detailed and deep look at the MHM by a highly educated lady (I think she's an MD and hair product creator). It helps the viewer think through the use and logic of the steps, ingredient restrictions, etc.

Thank you for the response :)
Will check the video out..

YvetteWithJoy

On break

5. Moisturize & seal:

Update

I tried the Jakeala products several times, and they were pretty good: The conditioner bar smelled divine (serious aromatherapy!!!), but application was a little difficult. The Beau Vert Masque was really enjoyable and had great ingredients. The Peach Hair Milk smelled amazing. It performed pretty well. I have since discovered that brushing in a thicker butter seems to seal in moisture better for my hair.

For May 2017, I plan to try the following products for deep treatments:
  1. Protein treatment: Around the 24th of the month, test
    Colorful Neutral Protein Filler to compare to Komaza's Protein Hair Strengthener
  2. Deep condition on full wash days:
    Mielle Babassu DC,
    Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Deep Penetrating Hair Treatment, or
    Annabelle PerfectBlend's Ultra Conditioning Souffle
For the Max Hydration Method in May 2017, I plan to use the following products and the following the steps:
  1. Prepoo and detangle:
    Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture-seal Masque or
    Soultanicals Slip-N-Slide Hair Glide
  2. Clarify and detox scalp with ACV-laden product:
    Cantu Apple Cider Vinegar Root Rinse
    (based on the ingredients and the this The Mane Choice review . . . plus the price is great!)
  3. Moisturize and condition with clay:
    Sheaterra Mud-Poo in the Rosemary and Carrot Seed
  4. Care for edges and ends and scalp:
    CurlyProverbz's DIY hair growth oil mix (see YouTube)
  5. L-O-G (liquid, oil, gel) or L-O-C/B (liquid, oil, cream/butter)
    Liquid: Naptural85's aloe vera juice and water spritz
    Oil: CurlyProverbz's DIY hair growth oil mix
    Gel: Curl Prep Around the Way Gel or Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker
    Cream/butter: Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water "Style Setter"

Ajna

I still do. I think this is my third year.

I do the entire method like every two or three weeks this consists of baking soda and whatever conditioner I want to get rid of, followed by a deep condition (at full strength), a clay wash (typically bentonite) and finally, 50/50 leave in conditioner watered down and gel.

Otherwise, I rinse my hair daily and add a little leave in and gel or I will use a water down conditioner if my hair feels dry then leave in and gel.
On the weekends I try to do a clay wash with coconut milk and rhassoul or a clay wash with water, ACV, castor oil and pink clay.

Once every six weeks I will henna with coconut milk

I think I am kind of a minimalist, I don't buy products online any more thanks to target. For my products I use: Eden BodyWorks Jojoba Monoi DC or Soultanicals Curl DC. , Kinky Curly conditioner as a leave in, UFD gel.

If my hair starts to break I tend to use a homemade conditioner like mayo, molasses, and avocado or egg yogurt and oil.

The method is cheap, easy and my hair seems to like it. Hope that helps

GGsKin

I like to think yes... but no. Although I have a similar routine- I still follow the steps of: 'clarify'/ or rinse, DC, clay and gel (I omit leave-in as my hair responds better), I no longer use the baking soda + con mix (unless my hair really isn't responding to anything). I also dropped ACV as a major player. Instead of cherry lolas, I use a hydrolyzed protein DC. The techniques and information/ details I've learned while doing this regimen are priceless.

CheChe1881

I still do. I think this is my third year.

I do the entire method like every two or three weeks this consists of baking soda and whatever conditioner I want to get rid of, followed by a deep condition (at full strength), a clay wash (typically bentonite) and finally, 50/50 leave in conditioner watered down and gel.

Otherwise, I rinse my hair daily and add a little leave in and gel or I will use a water down conditioner if my hair feels dry then leave in and gel.
On the weekends I try to do a clay wash with coconut milk and rhassoul or a clay wash with water, ACV, castor oil and pink clay.

Once every six weeks I will henna with coconut milk

I think I am kind of a minimalist, I don't buy products online any more thanks to target. For my products I use: Eden BodyWorks Jojoba Monoi DC or Soultanicals Curl DC. , Kinky Curly conditioner as a leave in, UFD gel.

If my hair starts to break I tend to use a homemade conditioner like mayo, molasses, and avocado or egg yogurt and oil.

The method is cheap, easy and my hair seems to like it. Hope that helps
I like to think yes... but no. Although I have a similar routine- I still follow the steps of: 'clarify'/ or rinse, DC, clay and gel (I omit leave-in as my hair responds better), I no longer use the baking soda + con mix (unless my hair really isn't responding to anything). I also dropped ACV as a major player. Instead of cherry lolas, I use a hydrolyzed protein DC. The techniques and information/ details I've learned while doing this regimen are priceless.

Thank you both for sharing your experience and updating!!
I think I may try this method. Only tried it once before. Was too much work for m back then. lol

GGsKin

Thank you both for sharing your experience and updating!!
I think I may try this method. Only tried it once before. Was too much work for m back then. lol

You're welcome @CheChe1881 I think I've done this routine for so long that I think I'm conditioned (I've done it on a few of my friends too and I'm the only one who doesn't think it's too much:giggle:). I take my time and treat wash day like a pampering session.

fluffyforever

I started back up doing MHM this morning. I will continue doing it at least 3 times per week over the next month to see how my hair responds.

Visually, my hair looks best right after I put on the gel. But during the day as it dries, my hair shrinks a lot and gets frizzy. It dries in a weird shape. I have to turn it into a puff to give it a better shape. Hopefully when my hair gets longer or fully hydrated it will dry in a more appealing shape.

But even if I will always have to wear a headband, I continue to believe my hair is 100x better on MHM than off. I don't know why I keep stopping to start using cones and shampoo again.

faithVA

I played around with wngs this past week while I had some extra time. I found that my hair does better if I apply mud leave it on for a while, rinse and apply a second round of mud. My hair has much more definition when I apply the mud the second time. It is also smoother and less frizzy. However, I am still trying to find a gel that works well with my hair.

I had much more definition this year than I did last year this time. However, my hair is still short and with the shrinkage my wng isn't really wearable. I also would have to rinse and redo it every day and at this length it is too much work.

I do plan on trying it again towards the end of summer to see if I have made any progress. But the real test will probably be next spring when I have more length to either do a bun or pineapple.

Oh and when I rinsed the second time my hair felt so nice. It felt like I had conditioned my hair and applied oil even though I only had clay, water and acv in my mix. My hair likes mud much more than shampoo.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I played around with wngs this past week while I had some extra time. I found that my hair does better if I apply mud leave it on for a while, rinse and apply a second round of mud. My hair has much more definition when I apply the mud the second time. It is also smoother and less frizzy. However, I am still trying to find a gel that works well with my hair.

I had much more definition this year than I did last year this time. However, my hair is still short and with the shrinkage my wng isn't really wearable. I also would have to rinse and redo it every day and at this length it is too much work.

I do plan on trying it again towards the end of summer to see if I have made any progress. But the real test will probably be next spring when I have more length to either do a bun or pineapple.

Oh and when I rinsed the second time my hair felt so nice. It felt like I had conditioned my hair and applied oil even though I only had clay, water and acv in my mix. My hair likes mud much more than shampoo.

Interesting, @faithVA! Now I'm going to have to try the double-mud-application thing. :smile:

The Sheaterra Rosemary Carrot Seed Mud-Poo that I have leaves my hair super defined, hydrated, and moisturized with a film of oil. It's amazing on my hair.

faithVA

Interesting, @faithVA! Now I'm going to have to try the double-mud-application thing. :smile:

The Sheaterra Rosemary Carrot Seed Mud-Poo that I have leaves my hair super defined, hydrated, and moisturized with a film of oil. It's amazing on my hair.

Let me know if you try it.

The mud poo sounds very nice. My hair must be too soft naturally. Adding any oils at all to my hair prevents my curls from clumping. When I first started my hair journey I had them all until I realized my hair was not having it.

RossBoss

Interesting thread.This sounds like what my natural hair needs. I will read through the thread completely over the next few days, in the meantime, does anyone know of any Black owned suppliers of Rhassoul clay?