MHM Hangout

faithVA

I'm doing a Cherry Lola Carmel Treatment right now. I haven't done one in months. I had a day off so I figured I would squeeze it in. I don't see it happening during the holidays.

I did the full recipe, including the egg. I split the mix in half and put half in the freezer. I didn't put baking soda in the one I froze. The ph of the mix is 7 for anyone who is interested. I used Machery-Nagel ph strips to test it.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
So this week I'm doing the inversion method for my bald spot regimen. I'm really hoping to retain some length once I'm done with this regimen, and an added bonus would be some of my spots filling in :yep:. I also forgot to add that I'm still using Njoy oil (UA) 3 times a week to help with my troubled areas.

faithVA

So this week I'm doing the inversion method for my bald spot regimen. I'm really hoping to retain some length once I'm done with this regimen, and an added bonus would be some of my spots filling in :yep:. I also forgot to add that I'm still using Njoy oil (UA) 3 times a week to help with my troubled areas.

Thanks for the reminder about the oils. I need to start oiling my scalp with my oil blend during these dry winter months.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Thanks for the reminder about the oils. I need to start oiling my scalp with my oil blend during these dry winter months.
No problem faithVA :grin:. Also thanks for the Njoy oil :yep:. It may not be on the approved list but I like it and I'm going to continue to use it :lol:.

faithVA

I have some pictures that I will post later. When I first started MHM, only the very bottom of some strands had definition. As of yesterday it looks like 50% of the strand is now defined. The top 50%, the root to middle of the strand, is smoother but not yet defined.

I have to spend more time working the conditioner through in step 2. This is time consuming but necessary for my hair. The rhassoul clay is working out better for me. My mix is just water, rhassoul clay and a little bit of acv to smooth it out. I may try honey next time but I'm going to skip the oil. I will add some EOs for my scalp.

Next wash I will use the pink clay to see if I can get a good consistency with that.

faithVA

[USER=149048 said:
Honey Bee[/USER];20767201]So... how do we feel about demi-permanent color (Sally's Ion brand, to be specific)? :look:

I have used it. It worked fine. I do permanent color now because my hair is graying and I only do my roots. And the demi wears off after a while.

I suggest doing a keratin treatment 4 days after color. And it could slow down your progress but since you are transitioning it may not be that big a deal. You probably will notice the effects while doing the mud because the mud will try to remove all of the impurities that were part of the color mix.

I would probably be much further along if I didn't color my hair but that ain't going to happen.

Honey Bee

I have used it. It worked fine. I do permanent color now because my hair is graying and I only do my roots. And the demi wears off after a while.

I suggest doing a keratin treatment 4 days after color. And it could slow down your progress but since you are transitioning it may not be that big a deal. You probably will notice the effects while doing the mud because the mud will try to remove all of the impurities that were part of the color mix.

I would probably be much further along if I didn't color my hair but that ain't going to happen.
Why? I don't know anything about color but what I researched yesterday. :look:

I don't plan to do it anytime soon. Color is gonna be my bc present to myself. I always loved Chaka Khan's color and then I saw Mo Knows Hair's color and it was over. :nono: I have cool undertones so it would look right, and my hair is naturally a level 4-5 ash brown, so I wouldn't need bleach.

And my man looked oddly interested in my research. :look:

faithVA

[USER=149048 said:
Honey Bee[/USER];20767289]Why? I don't know anything about color but what I researched yesterday. :look:

I don't plan to do it anytime soon. Color is gonna be my bc present to myself. I always loved Chaka Khan's color and then I saw Mo Knows Hair's color and it was over. :nono: I have cool undertones so it would look right, and my hair is naturally a level 4-5 ash brown, so I wouldn't need bleach.

And my man looked oddly interested in my research. :look:

Keratin protein treatments help with anything that can have an impact on the structure of the hair strand. Demi and Permanent contain peroxide and the color itself absorbs into the strand unlike semi which just coats it. This can weaken the strand. Waiting 3 days allows the color to set. Doing keratin within a week of color, fills any holes and strengthens the hair to prevent future damage. I recommend keratin because it is the protein most similar to our natural protein.

Honey Bee

Keratin protein treatments help with anything that can have an impact on the structure of the hair strand. Demi and Permanent contain peroxide and the color itself absorbs into the strand unlike semi which just coats it. This can weaken the strand. Waiting 3 days allows the color to set. Doing keratin within a week of color, fills any holes and strengthens the hair to prevent future damage. I recommend keratin because it is the protein most similar to our natural protein.
Because I have fine, hi po hair, I was only planning to leave it on for half the time, but thank you for telling me. I didn't know they contained peroxide, I'm not even lightening. :ohwell: I have a bunch of keratin conditioners and leave-in's, is that what you mean by keratin treatment? I don't think so...

faithVA

[USER=149048 said:
Honey Bee[/USER];20767363]Because I have fine, hi po hair, I was only planning to leave it on for half the time, but thank you for telling me. I didn't know they contained peroxide, I'm not even lightening. :ohwell: I have a bunch of keratin conditioners and leave-in's, is that what you mean by keratin treatment? I don't think so...

It probably doesn't matter how long you leave it in. It is just like a relaxer, once it touches your hair its on :yep:

Unless you go black, all demi and permanent contain peroxide. You want to avoid any color that has ammonia. You can get ammonia free but not peroxide free.

Something like Aphogee should be a keratin protein treatment/conditioner. I use Komaza's protein treatment/conditioner. I wouldn't rely on a leave-in. I would use something that is intended to be a full protein treatment/conditioner. You will have to read your bottles to make sure.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I want to color my hair too, but I'm going to wait until I reach max hydration. This was good advice that I got from faithVA :yep:. However, reaching max hydration could take me until 2016 at the rate I'm going :lol:.

Honey Bee

It probably doesn't matter how long you leave it in. It is just like a relaxer, once it touches your hair its on :yep:
:lol: Yeah, I figured that, but I'm more 'lightly texlaxing', you could say, not going bone straight. :look:

Unless you go black, all demi and permanent contain peroxide. You want to avoid any color that has ammonia. You can get ammonia free but not peroxide free.
The Sally's Ion brand demi-perm is ammonia free. I only need to use volume 5 and 10 developer. I'm adding Colorful Neutral Protein Filler to the color and ensuring that my hair is in great shape beforehand. I'll be fully natural then, so I'll be MHM'ing regularly and probably interjecting :look: a reconstructor into the regimen weekly. How does that sound?

I'm gonna research the exact workings of peroxide on hair and see how it can be replaced/ added back. I did this with my relaxed hair (I used no lye, the key was cystine... or cysteine, I always mix them up, lol, but I found it in a product and :up:).

Sorry to make this a color hijack, but I suspect a lot of MHM'ers would like to know how to use color on this regimen. I'll be the guinea pig... whenever I finally bc, that is. :look: :lol:

faithVA

:lol: Yeah, I figured that, but I'm more 'lightly texlaxing', you could say, not going bone straight. :look:

The Sally's Ion brand demi-perm is ammonia free. I only need to use volume 5 and 10 developer. I'm adding Colorful Neutral Protein Filler to the color and ensuring that my hair is in great shape beforehand. I'll be fully natural then, so I'll be MHM'ing regularly and probably interjecting :look: a reconstructor into the regimen weekly. How does that sound?

I'm gonna research the exact workings of peroxide on hair and see how it can be replaced/ added back. I did this with my relaxed hair (I used no lye, the key was cystine... or cysteine, I always mix them up, lol, but I found it in a product and :up:).

Sorry to make this a color hijack, but I suspect a lot of MHM'ers would like to know how to use color on this regimen. I'll be the guinea pig... whenever I finally bc, that is. :look: :lol:

Please share your findings. I can always stand to learn more. I use a reconstructor once a month which seems to be enough. Once a week sounds like a lot but you will have to play around with it to be sure. My hair would be too hard with protein that often but other heads love it

GGsKin

Aah yes! I also wanna try the inversion method somewhat, to try and help with a bald spot. It's amazing how I find time to do MHM, yet massaging my head and hanging off my bed for 4 minutes seems like such a struggle lol. I have started infrequently massaging my head- which I didn't really do at all before. Even with my own hands I can say it feels great. I bought some JCBO last weekend so I'm gonna use that next time. I did try hanging of my bed for 3 mins but I did feel a little dizzy (probably cause I was trying to watch TV whole doing this)

faithVA

Aah yes! I also wanna try the inversion method somewhat, to try and help with a bald spot. It's amazing how I find time to do MHM, yet massaging my head and hanging off my bed for 4 minutes seems like such a struggle lol. I have started infrequently massaging my head- which I didn't really do at all before. Even with my own hands I can say it feels great. I bought some JCBO last weekend so I'm gonna use that next time. I did try hanging of my bed for 3 mins but I did feel a little dizzy (probably cause I was trying to watch TV whole doing this)

I'm the same. I can't seem to find the energy to massage my head either :lol:

GGsKin

So I did completed my 13th cycle yesterday, after GHEing for 2 weeks. My hair was noticeably more hydrated than the last time I washed it. My hair soaking wet without product looked to be clumping further up the strands. I used bs and conditioner to clarify this time. I will keep alternating but I noticed my hair was less defined when I used the ACV rinse on my previous wash. And that vinegar smell lingered until wash day yesterday, but find they both clarify my hair well. I will try to upload pictures at some point. I'm currently having problems uploading pics.

faithVA

[USER=436891 said:
AbsyBlvd[/USER];20767975]So I did completed my 13th cycle yesterday, after GHEing for 2 weeks. My hair was noticeably more hydrated than the last time I washed it. My hair soaking wet without product looked to be clumping further up the strands. I used bs and conditioner to clarify this time. I will keep alternating but I noticed my hair was less defined when I used the ACV rinse on my previous wash. And that vinegar smell lingered until wash day yesterday, but find they both clarify my hair well. I will try to upload pictures at some point. I'm currently having problems uploading pics.

When you do the ACV do you heat your conditioner up for the conditioning step? If not that may be while your hair was more defined when using BS. The BS would open your cuticles where the ACV wouldn't. Heating your conditioner up would help open your cuticle more so it can hydrate better.

I find that heating the conditioner works even better than using a heating cap or dryer for the conditioner step.

faithVA

I'm hoping by the end of December that my hair is long enough to do two flat twist down the sides. If so, I will start washing every 3 days which should help me hydrate faster. I don't think cowashing my hair more frequently than every 3 days does very much.

GGsKin

When you do the ACV do you heat your conditioner up for the conditioning step? If not that may be while your hair was more defined when using BS. The BS would open your cuticles where the ACV wouldn't. Heating your conditioner up would help open your cuticle more so it can hydrate better.

I find that heating the conditioner works even better than using a heating cap or dryer for the conditioner step.

Yep. I always heat my conditioner for both steps. My hair has a problem accepting products so I wanted to make sure that I wasn't holding myself back in anyway. Especially as I don't have a steamer and rely on a bag and a shower cap☺

hairtimes5

Hi, I'm a newbie here. I posted in the other thread about my excitement about doing the MHM. Would love to hang out with you all.

1. I'm doing Pinkecube's regimen, want to try DanaB's eventually

2. I originally started in the summer and stopped after 5 times, can't remember why??
I started again about 3 wks ago.

3. I did the 7 day challenge in 8 days and have been doing it every 3 days since.

4. My hair is no longer shedding like crazy and detangling is a breeze now. Still not as moisturized as I would like, which is the reason I started this method.

5. I'm definitely loving this method. Some of the things I want to do are 1) try doing the clay step first as it seems to be drying to my hair and scalp, and 2) try rhassoul clay in hopes that it will combat the dryness I experience with bentonite, and 3) only do the full method on weekends but do steps 1, 2, 4 and 5 at least one time, preferably twice during the week. I have found my staple style, wng's. I love 'em! It seems like once I hit the 2 yr mark of being relaxer free, my hair just stopped liking stretched styles and it can't stand heat, hates it. Oh and I'm loving my shrinkage. My hair is APL stretched but my wng looks like a cute lil curly bob. I'm seriously considering keeping my hair trimmed to this length.

6. Will upload pics from my phone later

7. same as #6

8. Clarify: bs condish mixture using TJTTT or Tresemme Radiant Volume
Condition: Naturelle Grow Herbal Blends DC (US)
Mud: Bentonite + water + honey + naptural85 hair and body oil mix
Leave-in: one of these, diluted Tresemme RV, TJTTT, or KCKT
Seal: JBCO and either naturally50 flaxseed gel recipe (found on the MHM site) or Hello Curly (love this stuff!!)

almond eyes

I'm hoping by the end of December that my hair is long enough to do two flat twist down the sides. If so, I will start washing every 3 days which should help me hydrate faster. I don't think cowashing my hair more frequently than every 3 days does very much.

In your opinion does co washing everyday just as hydrating as co washing every two to three days? Can you explain what you noticed about your hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

faithVA

[USER=47045 said:
almond eyes[/USER];20768547]In your opinion does co washing everyday just as hydrating as co washing every two to three days? Can you explain what you noticed about your hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

When I cowash every day or every other day not much seems to happen at all. It takes more time but my hair doesn't seem to improve any with repeated cowashing. And with the increased manipulation I get more breakage. Rewetting my hair right before it dries out, when the surface of my twist feel dry, seems to be the perfect time for another wash.

I did every day or every other day cowashing for 3 months in 2012. It was a lot of work. Over that three month period my hair got slightly better but not anything really noticeable. Fortunately I blogged about it so I can now look back on it to see how it worked for me.

Perhaps if I had known I needed to clarify before I cowashed it may have worked better for me.

faithVA

[USER said:
hairtimes5;20768293[/USER]]Hi, I'm a newbie here. I posted in the other thread about my excitement about doing the MHM. Would love to hang out with you all.

1. I'm doing Pinkecube's regimen, want to try DanaB's eventually

2. I originally started in the summer and stopped after 5 times, can't remember why??
I started again about 3 wks ago.

3. I did the 7 day challenge in 8 days and have been doing it every 3 days since.

4. My hair is no longer shedding like crazy and detangling is a breeze now. Still not as moisturized as I would like, which is the reason I started this method.

5. I'm definitely loving this method. Some of the things I want to do are 1) try doing the clay step first as it seems to be drying to my hair and scalp, and 2) try rhassoul clay in hopes that it will combat the dryness I experience with bentonite, and 3) only do the full method on weekends but do steps 1, 2, 4 and 5 at least one time, preferably twice during the week. I have found my staple style, wng's. I love 'em! It seems like once I hit the 2 yr mark of being relaxer free, my hair just stopped liking stretched styles and it can't stand heat, hates it. Oh and I'm loving my shrinkage. My hair is APL stretched but my wng looks like a cute lil curly bob. I'm seriously considering keeping my hair trimmed to this length.

6. Will upload pics from my phone later

7. same as #6

8. Clarify: bs condish mixture using TJTTT or Tresemme Radiant Volume
Condition: Naturelle Grow Herbal Blends DC (US)
Mud: Bentonite + water + honey + naptural85 hair and body oil mix
Leave-in: one of these, diluted Tresemme RV, TJTTT, or KCKT
Seal: JBCO and either naturally50 flaxseed gel recipe (found on the MHM site) or Hello Curly (love this stuff!!)

Welcome to the hangout. Definitely try the rhassoul. I think you will be much happier. I can use the rhassoul with just water and it doesn't dry my hair out. Bentonite clay and my hair are not friends :nono:

faithVA

Just a reminder to myself that Hattache.com and Wild Ginger have the mud puddle mud wash. Want to get some on Black Friday.

Anyone else buying stuff on black friday? If so what are you looking at?

almond eyes

When I cowash every day or every other day not much seems to happen at all. It takes more time but my hair doesn't seem to improve any with repeated cowashing. And with the increased manipulation I get more breakage. Rewetting my hair right before it dries out, when the surface of my twist feel dry, seems to be the perfect time for another wash.

I did every day or every other day cowashing for 3 months in 2012. It was a lot of work. Over that three month period my hair got slightly better but not anything really noticeable. Fortunately I blogged about it so I can now look back on it to see how it worked for me.

Perhaps if I had known I needed to clarify before I cowashed it may have worked better for me.

Thanks for your response. Why does clarifying work better for the co washes?

Best,
Almond Eyes