MHM Hangout

faithVA

Welcome to the MHM Hangout. This is not a challenge but I do ask that you join the thread by sharing the details listed below.

This hangout is for those who are actively using the MHM method as described by Pinkecube, or using one of the alternate methods of Aketafitgirl or DanaB. This hangout is for those who at least for right now consider MHM their regimen of choice. Those doing the bald spot regimen are also welcome.

I ask that you join the hangout only AFTER you have tried the method and decided it is something you want to pursue.

If you are new to the method or have questions about the regimen, please check out Pinkecube’s blog. She fully describes the regimen at The Max Hydration Method Detailed Regimen

Recommended Product List

If you have read the regimen, then here are few points that may help.
  1. Doing the regimen for 7 days straight is ideal, but not required.
  2. Doing the Cherry Lola/Carmel treatment is optional to get started. It can be done later.
  3. Baking soda is recommended for low porosity. Normal and High Porosity ladies, try acv or whatever you feel is a gentle clarifier for your hair.
  4. You can style your hair anyway you like. WNGs are not required.

For those that join, we don’t need to defend our choices in this thread. Feel free to answer legitimate questions, but please try to refrain from defending against or battling against those that are just passing through. HoneyBee is great with handling varying opinions. Please follow her lead if you can. If not feel free to ignore the poster and move on.

Join/Start by Posting
1. Which regimen are you doing? Pinkecube MHM?, DubaiDees Modifed MHM?, AketaFitgirls Original?, DanaB? Other? Please describe..
2. When did you start the regimen?
3. How often do you do the method?
4. Benefits seen so far
5. Anything else you would like to share.
6. Starting Photo
7. Current Picture if you have one.
8. List your steps and products. New comers may find this helpful when looking at products and modifications.

Please Include

• (M) if you have modified a step
  • (UA) if you are using an unapproved product
  • (US) if you are unsure

Example
1. Clarify: Castille Soap (UA) + Curl Ecstasy Conditioner + water
2. Condition: Naturelle Grow Slippery Elm (US)
3. Mud: Rhassoul + water + honey + olive oil
4. Leave-In: diluted kknt
5. Seal: As I Am Curling Cream (UA)

Helpful MHM Blogs
Ms. Dee Kay
Max Hydration Method
DubaiDee4c

Clay Distributors
Butters n Bars - I have personally used and recommend.

Monterey Bay Spice

Bulk Apothecary - I have heard this clay is thin, so beware.

PH STRIPS
I recommend ph strips especially if you are considering using baking soda. But they are helpful anytime you are mixing or diluting product. I have found the following strips to work well.

PH Strips

Other Cowashing Regimens
If you are interested in cowashing, curly girl or tightly curly, please check out these threads.
Fall/Winter Wash n go

2014 Challenge - Cowash, Cocleanse, Mudwash...

Wash N Go Thread

Anthony Dickey Method

Last edited:

faithVA

1. Which regimen are you doing? Pinkecube's

2. When did you start the regimen? June 2014

Once a week or every 4 days. It varies​

4. Benefits seen so far
  • Hair stays moisturized longer
  • Twist are less frizzy
  • Fewer SSKs
  • Can wash my hair loose
  • Can finger detangle in the shower
  • Starting to retain length

6. Starting Photo: (Wash 1)
BeforeMHM2_514 (640x327).jpg

BeforeMHMLt_514 (375x640).jpg

MHMD1P2_514.jpg

7. Current Picture if you have one.
MHMBk_1114.jpg
MHMRt1114.jpg

8. List your steps and products.
  1. 1. Clarify: Castille Soap (UA) + Curl Ecstasy Conditioner + water
  2. 2. Condition: Naturelle Grow Slippery Elm (US)
  3. 3. Mud: Rhassoul + water + honey + olive oil
  4. 4. Leave-In: diluted kknt
  5. 5. Seal: As I Am Curling Cream (UA)

Last edited:

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
Yay for this thread! Glad to have a space for those currently using this method.

I started the method the week of August 18th so I'm almost 3 months in. I started with 4 straight days of Pinkecube's regimen. I then began doing the complete method twice a week. I experimented with modified versions and have settled for this: Full method once per week and steps 1, 2, 4 and 5 midweek. I'll alternate between ACV and baking soda rinses. I will use the original Cherry Lola as needed.

Benefits: Shorter and easier detangling sessions. Less split ends and single strand knots. Hair that stays moisturizer longer. Easier to accomplish styles.

1. Clarify: Trader Joe's Tree Tea Tingle Conditioner + Water + 2 tablespoons baking soda OR 1:1 dilution of water + ACV
2. Condition: TJ TTT + water
3. Mud: Bentonite + Water
4. Leave-In: diluted TJ TTT
5. Seal: Kinky Curly Curling Custard or Hello Curły or CC's Naturals flaxseed gel

I don't have any pre-method pics of my no product hair. A typical twistout is currently my avatar pic. I am primarily 4b with 4a in spots. I always kept my hair stretched. I wore twists and twistouts.

I now wear a mix of wash and go's and twistouts.

Below is a pic of my early wash and go. I'll post updated pics later. Different strands of my hair are reaching max hydration at different times so I have a mix of defined and undefined hair.

Attachments

• image-3256102988.jpg
    image-3256102988.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:

SunnyDelight

great thread.

I started the MHM on Halloween night - 11days ago. I have done the regimen 6x and will do the 7th tonight or tomorrow. Should have taken a starting pic. but I didn't.

I am using Pinkecube's method but will look at the others.

My observations so far - which are ALL pro's:
*I see my hair clumping - which in turn creates a curl pattern (which I am not necessarily looking for since I'm a wigger ... I am simply looking to get hydration)
*My hair stays moisturized longer than before
*My hair "feels" stronger, softer and just looks healthier. I wear wigs in the winter and this morning had to take twist out because they are "plumper" and are too bulky under wigs. Re-did celie braids that I had to pin down under wig cap to reduce bulk.
*I am able to detangle after clay and smooth during styling with my fingers...only.
*No shedding (or breaking) hardly any (which could be from using fingers MORE than comb)

Cons:
*TIME consuming
*MESSY (I am literally cleaning my bathroom after EVERY.SINGLE.TREATMENT)

I am using recommended steps and approved products for all phases ....
the only change I make is using oil (which I think is an option) instead of a gel I use grapeseed oil.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that it will probably take me months to reach max hydration and I'm ok with that. After all, I've been doing my hair since 10 years old....permed from 16 to 45.... and even after going natural didn't always have good hair care practices. I have a lot to fix but MHM has me off to a great start.

Unless I notice damage from this method, I'm in for the long haul ....

faithVA

[USER=22604 said:
SunnyDelight[/USER];20760403]great thread.

Cons:
*TIME consuming
*MESSY (I am literally cleaning my bathroom after EVERY.SINGLE.TREATMENT)

Welcome. After you finish your 7th, hopefully it won't be as time consuming. And since you wig it, you could baggy and extend your time between washes.

I am assuming it is the clay that is messy? What clay are you using? If you are using bentonite or rhassoul, maybe you need to make it less watery. It shouldn't be that messy. If you are using pink or red, :nono: Maybe you want to switch :lol: I can't detail with those. They are very messy.

[USER=389053 said:
crimsonpeach[/USER];20760291]Yay for this thread! Glad to have a space for those currently using this method.
Glad to have you.

SunnyDelight

I am assuming it is the clay that is messy? What clay are you using? If you are using bentonite or rhassoul, maybe you need to make it less watery. It shouldn't be that messy. If you are using pink or red, :nono: Maybe you want to switch :lol: I can't detail with those. They are very messy.

Yeah....you are right - - its the clay step (mostly). I am using bentonite clay and gotta work on the consistency of it. I didnb't want it too watery and I tried a squirt bottle but the clay kept getting clogging in the tip so now I use it straight from a reusable bowl (which is not thick enough to scoop up).

I also have been cleaning mirrors because I shake the claryifier ... with my finger over tip and cannot remember to watch where the tip is pointing and you know that explosion that that can create.

I'm sure I will get the hang of all the do's/don't very soon!!!

faithVA

[USER=22604 said:
SunnyDelight[/USER];20760487]

Yeah....you are right - - its the clay step (mostly). I am using bentonite clay and gotta work on the consistency of it. I didnb't want it too watery and I tried a squirt bottle but the clay kept getting clogging in the tip so now I use it straight from a reusable bowl (which is not thick enough to scoop up).

I also have been cleaning mirrors because I shake the claryifier ... with my finger over tip and cannot remember to watch where the tip is pointing and you know that explosion that that can create.

I'm sure I will get the hang of all the do's/don't very soon!!!

I was having the same problem. I got a good tip from tashboog. She suggested adding 1/4 tsp of acv to your clay. I found it really helps to smooth out the clay. Also use warm/hot water when you make the clay. The clay should be smoother and not clog.

ETA: Edited acv tip info
I'm still working on my ratios as well.

Last edited:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
1. Which regimen are you doing? Pinkecube. I started the original MHM regimen in May '14. I did the modified cherry lola treatment followed by 7 days straight of the MHM. Let me just say that wasn't easy :nono:. I used only MHM approved products and my hydration is moving very slow. I'm currently doing the MHM bald spot regimen cuz I'm trying to regrow some balding areas and its easier to me for during the winter season.
2. When did you start the regimen? May '14
3. How often do you do the method? Original MHM was every 3 days. Bald
spot regimen is every 2-3 weeks.

4. Benefits seen so far:
Less shedding
I wash with loose hair instead of washing in sections
Less single strand knots
Hair doesn't dry out in 2 hours like it use to do
It seems to accept products better
I can now see curls when I apply conditioner before I couldn't
Retaining some length.

I was one of the original posters from the BHM MHM thread. So I may
may be able to help faithVA during this hangout thread.

6. Starting Photo (soon)
7. Current Picture if you have one. (not really only clay pics but will post
clay pic)
8. List your steps and products. New comers may find this helpful when looking at products and modifications.

MHM regimen:
1. Modified cherry lola treatment every 4 weeks
2. Baking soda/ conditioner once a month
3. ACV to clarify the rest of the month
4. Conditioners: Trader Joe's tea tree tingle, Jessicurl deep treatment,
Kinky curly knot today (Jessicurl is the only one I don't dilute with
water)
5. Rhassoul clay, pink clay, or bentonite clay (I alternate between the
3 clays) mixed with raw honey, and argan oil
6. Diluted kinky curly knot today
7. Kinky curly curling custard

Note: I will be trying the Camille Rose moisture milk and the Camille Rose curlmaker (UA) once I restart this regimen.

Bald Spot regimen:
1. ACV rinse to clarify mixed with cayenne pepper (1/2 tsp)
2. Rhassoul clay mixed with raw honey, argan oil, cayenne pepper
peppermint eo, tea tree eo, and eucalyptus eo.
3. Trader Joe's tea tree tingle conditioner diluted with warm water
4. Braid hair, wear plastic bag 24-7, wear wigs for my PS.
5. Do a mild protein treatment every four weeks with B.A.S.K Vanilla
Whiskey repairative hair soak
6. I do this regimen every 2 to 3 weeks
7. I also do the inversion method once a month

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 333
  • wet 3mo.jpg
    wet 3mo.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 324
  • pink clay.jpg
    pink clay.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:

GGsKin

1. Which regimen are you doing?
PinkeCube's.

2. When did you start the regimen?
September 2014.

I completed the 7 day kickstart over a two week period. Since then I've done a cycle anywhere between once and three times a week, while also doing GHE- I've slightly altered the bald spot regimen time frame. Not even seeing my hair for 3 months straight (as done by PinkeCube, G) seems just too long to go without even playing with my hair at all.

4. Benefits so far.
My hair seems more moisturised and retains that moisture for longer. Fewer ssk. I can wash my hair loose in the shower. As my hair is mostly wet all the time, it is super easy to detangle with this method. I haven't needed to use a comb since I began this method and my hair has been the least tangled it's ever been in its natural state. Before I started I read the whole thread on BHM forum, had a mini panic attack when I read some people complaining that their clumps were matting. So I did use a comb once to really detangle my hair when I thought that my newly formed clumps were going to turn to little dreads! However, that was not the case and I've decided that for me, unless parting with my rattail, combs really aren't necessary and my finger detangling will do just fine.

5. That should've been number 5

GGsKin

6. Starting photo.
If it worked (i dont know why its splitting my post!) its a pic early on using the regimen. I don't think I have any pics of my hair dry and unstretched.

7. Current picture.
I may have to upload this later as it keeps telling me an error has occurred.

8. Steps.
1. I clarify with either 1 part ACV and 1 part water with a touch of cayenne pepper, or baking soda and diluted KCKT.
2. Cowash with KCKT.
3. Bentonite clay + ACV + water + EVOO + raw honey + cayenne pepper.
4. Diluted KCKT as leave in.
5. Baggy for GHE or seal with KCCC

Sorry but I couldn't stop it from splitting my post #newbieproblems.

GGsKin

I've also done 2 modified cherry lola treatments 4 weeks apart. I didn't start with it as I was too impatient to wait for my ingredients to arrive.

faithVA

[USER=10150 said:
virtuenow[/USER];20760845]faithVA do you have a picture of your wash and go? Did your curls separate and clump?

I've yet to do a WNG. My hair is just starting to clump/separate. Even if it did, my hair has this weird awkward shape to it and I wouldn't wear it out the door :lol:

I do have pics of my hair with the mud on my blog. You can see how the girls are starting to form. I only do the method 1x a week usually so I'm not expecting to even try a WNG until March.

faithVA

[USER=436891 said:
AbsyBlvd[/USER];20760887]I've also done 2 modified cherry lola treatments 4 weeks apart. I didn't start with it as I was too impatient to wait for my ingredients to arrive.

You are welcome for the thread. I finally got my mind together.

And thanks for your patience in continuing to post while the forum was giving you grief :nono: At least you got it done :yep:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Y'all know I'm def in!!!! I'll post my info later, cause I'm on my phone, but for now i'll post my pics.

THe last pic is the moisture level that i try to maintain. I'm not really looking for curl definition per se; but for my hair to retain moisture. But I'm luving that my hair remains curly w/o product; instead of a cloud of frizz and tangles.

ETA: The 1st two pics are before I started doing MHM

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141110_175209.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141110_175209.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 299
  • ForumRunner_20141110_175347.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141110_175347.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 282
  • ForumRunner_20141110_175540.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141110_175540.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 291
  • ForumRunner_20141110_175706.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141110_175706.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

SpiceUpMyHair

1. Which regimen are you doing? Pinkecube
2. When did you start the regimen? 10/2014-I am 3 weeks in
3. How often do you do the method? twice a week
4. Benefits seen so far
Moisture and curl definition
One day out the week I combine step 2 and 3 by adding anita grant rhassoul clay bars to a dc of my choice. This has helped me with moisture and when I am crunch for time.
6. Starting Photo- dont have one, will take a pic this weekend; dont worry still have a ways to go untill I reach max hydration
7. Current Picture if you have one.-will post next wash day
step 1 tresemme naturals radiant volume with orange peel + 1.5 baking soda
step 2 whatever dc I have to use up jessicurl deep tx, jessicurl too shea, silk dreams-various, naturelle grow-various, I dont water down my dc's. I will water down both jessicurl dc if I do a cowash.
step 3 mixture of mud puddle n terressentials( lemon & Lavander)
step 4-diluted jessicurl( too shea or deep tx). I always apply some other cream moisturizer on top like camille rose almond jai or blue roze beauty pumkin puree
step 5- blue roze beauty custard or flaxseed gel cream, camille rose aloe cream gel.

snoop

I'm not using this method (yet?) but coming to lend my support. Keep up the good work! I'll be following your progress.

Guinan

Re-Branding
1. Which regimen are you doing? Pinkecube, DanaB?, Aketafitgirl? I am doing Pinkecube regimen; however I have modified a couple of things.

2. When did you start the regimen? I started this method in September
3. How often do you do the method? I do this method 1-2x's a week
4. Benefits seen so far. So far, I've noticed that my hair remains moisturize after it has dried, my hair styles last longer and my WnG's look better.

My Reggie
1. Clarify: 8oz water and 1tsp of ACV
2. Condition: Tressume lemon grass or Herbal Essence Hello Hydration
3. Mud: Bentonite clay + water + honey + olive oil
4. Leave-In: diluted giovanni
5. Seal: homemade flaxseed gel or 12oz water mixed with 2tbsp of clear eco gel (eco not approved)

*I begin MHM usually Fri or Sat night for the overnite DC. However, for the mid-week I don't DC overnite. I DC for about 15min to an hour; depending on my laziness:spinning:. I'm really looking forward to experimenting with various products. This method has REALLY helped me understand my porosity and how important it is in order to retain moisture.

I posted some pics up thread. But I will attach some more:yep: They might be alittle small. I don't have an "official" current pic b/c I'm in braids. The last pic was from my most recent wng.

Attachments

• color.jpg
    color.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 20141009_175849-1.jpg
    20141009_175849-1.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

Ann0804

1. Which regimen are you doing? Pinkecube

2. When did you start the regimen? I started in Sept/Oct?

3. How often do you do the method? I started doing the method every four days for a cycle of five. Now I only do it when my hair feels dry or needs extra care- about two times a month.

4. Benefits seen so far- Hair clumps making it easier to detangle. Now I don't need a leave in to detangle. I just detangle without product then add oil to seal.

5. Anything else you would like to share: I Mud wash before I Deep Condition (works best for me)

6. Starting Photo N/A

7. Current Picture:

Clarify: ACV 1:1 ratio or Shea Moisture's JBCO (it has ACV in it) I do the Cherry Lola Treatment every 3 weeks or as needed using Greek Yogurt, Honey, Natural Soy Sauce, Baking Soda, ACV
Mud: Terriessentials Left Coast Lemon (my homemade clay would not rinse out of my hair) Modified step
Condition: Jessicurl Too Shea or Jessicurl DC treatment (Undiluted)
Leave in: KCKT, or sometimes I use nothing
Seal: any oil or KCCC

aharri23

I just wanna say thank you to whoever suggested to add a little ACV to my clay mix even though im low-po. It makes the mixture so much smoother and my hair drinks it right up. Thank you!!