Michelle Obama and Black hair - an article on the Huffington Post

LaidBak

To me this post makes Mrs. Obama sound like she's paranoid about wearing so-called "black" hairstyles.

Those are the author's thoughts, and slant, on the subject. Not Mrs. Obama's.

Cracking up @ nappy neck length negro section!! :lachen:

After reading my first black hair and beauty book back when I was a kid I realized that I didn't need to shop in the "ethnic" hair aisle.

Lucky's Mom

aren't there more important things to write about besides this fluff?

reading articles like this makes me think that people are more backwards and further behind than I initially thought.

Agreed. The media is OBSESSED with Michelle's hair and Clothes.... what about what else she is doing???:nono:

They don't want to focus on anything deeper. That would be dangerous.:rolleyes:

Lucky's Mom

We don't "need" our own section. The heads of those companies know that our hair isn't that different from theirs. By marginalizing us they make money off of the fact that we are brainwashed to believe we require "special" products. It's a mind game they use to pad their pockets. And then they continue to sell us things that only make our hair issues worse, thereby requiring the next miracle in a bottle they come out with. Our section may as well be called the "nappy neck-length negro" section because those are pretty much the only people I see over there.

I don't deal with the "ethnic" section because it's a misnomer. Everyone, white folks included, have an ethnicity. Until they rename theirs the "white ethnic" section, or get rid of the names altogether, I'm not giving anybody my money.

Wrote a paper a bout it.... Wanna hear it - hear it go....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ethnic -
eth⋅nic–adjective 1.pertaining to or characteristic of a people, esp. a group (ethnic group) sharing a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like.2.referring to the origin, classification, characteristics, etc., of such groups.3.being a member of an ethnic group, esp. of a group that is a minority within a larger society: ethnic Chinese in San Francisco. 4.of, pertaining to, or characteristic of members of such a group.5.belonging to or deriving from the cultural, racial, religious, or linguistic traditions of a people or country: ethnic dances.

and my FAVORITE

Obsolete( yea, right). pagan; heathen.:nono::nono::nono:

For this reason - I refuse to use the term, in writing or in speech.:sad:

So - I guess a relaxer is not a Black hairstyle............:rolleyes:

Lucky's Mom

We don't "need" our own section. The heads of those companies know that our hair isn't that different from theirs. By marginalizing us they make money off of the fact that we are brainwashed to believe we require "special" products. It's a mind game they use to pad their pockets. And then they continue to sell us things that only make our hair issues worse, thereby requiring the next miracle in a bottle they come out with. Our section may as well be called the "nappy neck-length negro" section because those are pretty much the only people I see over there.

I don't deal with the "ethnic" section because it's a misnomer. Everyone, white folks included, have an ethnicity. Until they rename theirs the "white ethnic" section, or get rid of the names altogether, I'm not giving anybody my money.

Preach my brilliant baby sis.... :pray:
:band: you totally Rock.................

Ethnic - like "civil rights" is this suddenly branded term for Black people. when neither of these terms can be offically attributed ( nor should be) to one group!!!

So ridiculous! :rolleyes: Trust me ladies - every white historian out there is saying this stuff about US - and they are praised for it.