Mielle Organics And P&G Beauty Join Forces With Historic Partnership

snoop

Mielle Organics And P&G Beauty Join Forces With Historic Partnership

The beauty industry is lucrative, and for many reasons, it’s because of Black women. Despite who curates the product, we have found, advocated, and recommended goods that make us feel our best. And while we are the key drivers in this particular market, business owners who look like us are struggling to find funding with less than one percent of Black women able to secure a $1 million investment into their business, “For me, I honor those who have come before me and broken glass ceilings so I can come and shatter glass ceilings. I am creating and paving a way for those who are coming behind me to do not what I have done, but probably even better,” Monique Rodriguez, Co-Founder of Mielle Organics tells ESSENCE.

Today, Monique, and her husband Melvin Rodriguez, who stands as CEO and COO of the brand, are announcing their partnership with P&G Beauty. The beauty conglomerate has one of the strongest portfolios including Gilette, Febreeze, Olay, and now Mielle joining their lengthy class list.
Beauty

Over the last few weeks, Mielle has accumulated a critical conversation across social media platforms. While Black women have supported Mielle since its inception in 2014, many other communities are also finding the products helpful and expressing their positive sentiments on the internet. This has caused consumers’ favorite products, like the Rosemary Mint Oil to become increasingly hard to find. “I can completely understand why people are frustrated because of the lack of access to our products. I can also appreciate that new consumers are now discovering Mielle, and discovering this amazing oil,” Rodriguez explains. “And honestly that is why this partnership with P&G is so important.”

While Mielle is sold to stockists like Target, CVS, and Ulta Beauty as well as securing funding from New Voices Fund, founded by ESSENCE Ventures CEO, Richelieu Dennis and a nine-figure investment from Berkshire Partners, there’s still a disadvantage the brand has faced when trying to reach the needs of its ever-expanding consumer. This further validates why this partnership is not only crucial to Mielle Organics but Black beauty founders.

“What makes this partnership with P&G and Mielle Organics special is our shared commitment to serving consumers and making an impact in our community,” said Monica Turner, President, of P&G North America. “Mielle Cares program, which is focused on education, mentoring, and entrepreneurship in Black and Brown communities, is something we look forward to supporting.”

P&G will serve as a partner to Mielle to provide additional resources in order to expand the brand, and partner together for further innovation. To safeguard its commitment to Mielle and its Black and Brown consumers across verticals, Mielle and P&G have each committed $10 million to the Mielle Cares non-profit, which provides information and resources to advance initiatives important to Black and Brown communities.

“The work of racial equality and inclusion is not new for us,” said Lela Coffey, P&G North America Vice President for P&G’s multicultural hair portfolio. “My Black is Beautiful is a platform that P&G Beauty started twelve years ago, with a distinct mission to celebrate Black beauty and ignite meaningful dialogue about our unique influence on culture.

While this partnership curates a new reach for Black-owned hair care products, Rodriguez ensures that the authenticity of the business she and her husband created nearly 10 years ago will remain the same. “The community is the foundation of Mielle,” she concludes. “I can assure you that at Mielle we have no plans to change any of our formulas and joining P&G means all of our loyal customers can truly expect the same high-quality products tomorrow that is on shelves today.”

Evolving78

Time to find another protein free deep conditioner. I knew the writing was on the wall when I started to see their products at Family Dollar. Yes, that Family Dollar. Mmph, mmph, mmph. :abducted:
I peeped that too. They should lower the price point as well. I started to get into their products too. And I’m not trying to hear how black businesses have the right to expand. You market to us, slap the black-owned label on it, we spend a ton of money supporting them, and when they get put on, they leave your behind for a white girl.. Now you all about equality and inclusion. They get involved with these same companies that don’t pay their manufacturing workers fair wages, trash the environment with pollution, and water-down the quality of their products.

Last edited:

Togolese

OMG!!!! And people have been making countless videos on TT and IG, pouring their entire hearts and energy out because they all knew it was coming, though Mielle owners told everybody they won't change anything. This is quite shocking. :oops::oops::oops:

oneastrocurlie

Meh. I moved on from Mielles after her husband came after that youtuber. They just do the same thing Shea Moisture used to do. See what new ingredient has some buzz, add it to the top half of the ingredient listing and boom, whole new product line.

I never forget getting whatever DC in the green label that was supposed to have biotin in it. Got the jar.... No biotin on the label. Lol. I even messaged them about it. No response.

HealthyHair2020

Meh. I moved on from Mielles after her husband came after that youtuber. They just do the same thing Shea Moisture used to do. See what new ingredient has some buzz, add it to the top half of the ingredient listing and boom, whole new product line.

I never forget getting whatever DC in the green label that was supposed to have biotin in it. Got the jar.... No biotin on the label. Lol. I even messaged them about it. No response.
Yeah I was done after that youtuber thing too, no matter if some of their products worked well for me. Found other brands that are better and that I trust more.

Evolving78

I’m late to all of that madness. That was despicable.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
When they first launch the DC was great, Then it was reformulated. Ive never been impressed. More power to them .

Like said upthread, I continue to support black owned/hispanic owned, women, veterans, etc.

Evolving78

When they first launch the DC was great, Then it was reformulated. Ive never been impressed. More power to them .

Like said upthread, I continue to support black owned/hispanic owned, women, veterans, etc.
I’ll support, but I’m not for the pandering, or the capitalistic/individualistic mindset of businesses seeking out ways to negatively exploit the issues of those particular communities. That breaking the glass ceiling mess stated by that company is dead on arrival. I’m glad her family will be straight, but this ain’t no if one of us win, we all win foolishness. That is an asinine way of thinking. As you can see black financial capital gains do not circulate back into the black community. It leaves it, just like any other businesses that exploit and profit off of us. We still can’t get a federal“law” passed to be able to wear our hair in its natural state! Miss me with the “support my black-owned business, or we gotta stick together” shenanigans.