Mini Braid Challenge- Fall 2012

manter26

Hey mini-braiders let's continue through fall! :)

Here's the link to the original summer 2012 challenge. Check out the thread for pics, reggies, tips etc... from other mini braid wearers.

I wear my braids pretty much year round. The benefits of wearing them in the fall is it's easy to keep your hair moisturized. I'm in the SE so it's still quite humid. I get to wear my hair down without the hassle.

Feel free to join at any time. The challenge will end Dec. 1st. Thanks!

The Rules:
1. You must wear your hair in mini (small) braids for at least 3 weeks.
2. Post starting and progress pics.
3. Post your braid reggie as well.
4. Keep us updated on your styles and progress.
5. Post a final update pic.

Challengers: :yay:
Manter26
DanceOnTheSkylines
lamaria211
nakialovesshoes
pelohello
Miss_Luna

Just post if you need to be added or removed from the list and I'll update it.

Anyone can join- natural/ transitioning/ relaxed (although your ends may unravel), long/short, etc... I've worn braids throughout my hair journey. Here are a few pics...

Here's the thread with pics of my last set of mini braids.

itsallaboutattitude

Cancer Support in Health
I am in. I am on week three I believe of my mini braids. Plan on taking them down next weekend and re-doing.

I redid my edges today, though.

lamaria211

I'm in I've been in my current set for over 3 weeks I plan on redoing them at 5weeks.
Current Reggie wash (with wen) and DC weekly
Black tea rinse weekly
moisturize and seal daily
I looooves me some coconut oil I either prepoo, DC or moisturize with it
I keep my hair tied up under a wig 99% of the time

ForumRunner_20120904_001850.jpg

ForumRunner_20120904_001937.jpg

manter26

I'm back in mini braids. I did them over the course of 3 days while doing a lot of other stuff. I'm estimating I was actually braiding for around 9 hours. I did a longer post on my blog as well as a post on what I did before I braided.

I'll take better pics of the whole job when I can get a minute to myself, lol.

My reggie will be similar to last time around:
  • moisturize when needed
  • seal with grape seed oil (or Crisco, no more waxy butter this time)
  • cowash at least once a week
  • dc when needed
  • protein (aphogee 2 step, or natural alternative) when needed
  • shampoo only after swimming

I braided much larger this time because I'll pnly have these in for about 4-6 weeks.

NaturalfienD

Reserving my spot for this challenge. I just purchased the ebook manter26 and read it all in one night. I will not be able to complete the minis until the last week of the month and I will be back with photos then … subbing! HHG!!!

manter26

better pics; excuse the lighting, didn't realize the blue filter was set on my camera.

lamaria211 where do you get your Nubian Heritage? I checked 2 CVS stores for the BOGO sale and neither carried it.

Last edited:

Miss_Luna

I posted my pics in the other thread, but I'll post them here, as well.

I'm not sure how long I'm going to leave this set in. I don't really want to deal with my hair for a while. I was going to try and leave them in until the end of October, but that would be like nine weeks.

After being fully natural for four years, I am having a very difficult time with my loose natural hair.

I'll attach a picture of my minis and a pic of my natural straightened hair from last winter. By the time I finished my hair my roots were already reverting :nono:

I haven't straightened my hair since April or May. I have no idea what my straight hair will look like and I am nervous to see. I'm just enjoying the minis for now.

Attachments

• Photo on 9-3-12 at 2.22 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 9-3-12 at 2.22 PM #2.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 2012-08-31 17.06.20.jpg
    2012-08-31 17.06.20.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 225

manter26

I posted my pics in the other thread, but I'll post them here, as well.

I'm not sure how long I'm going to leave this set in. I don't really want to deal with my hair for a while. I was going to try and leave them in until the end of October, but that would be like nine weeks.

After being fully natural for four years, I am having a very difficult time with my loose natural hair.

I'll attach a picture of my minis and a pic of my natural straightened hair from last winter. By the time I finished my hair my roots were already reverting :nono:

I haven't straightened my hair since April or May. I have no idea what my straight hair will look like and I am nervous to see. I'm just enjoying the minis for now.

Lovely!!! So thick!! :grin: Thanks for posting here as well. The color looks great. :yep:

Atdow71

I want to join this challenge, but I just put in mini twists. I plan on taking them out in 3 wks then I'll join.

manter26

Tonto said:
I was wondering if twists could count in this challenge... :perplexed:dork:

Short answer...no. :look: Long answer- I think there are a ton of other challenges for twisting but I never see any for braids that are 1. Small and not under a wig or 2. Without extensions.

My hair cannot handle twists. It's literally asking for a trim because of why they do to my ends. I think the maintanance is slightly different for most people, so I want to keep this thread about braids, no extensions (mostly no wigs). :)

How about the braid and twist for growth challenge?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Tonto

Short answer...no. :look: Long answer- I think there are a ton of other challenges for twisting but I never see any for braids that are 1. Small and not under a wig or 2. Without extensions.

My hair cannot handle twists. It's literally asking for a trim because of why they do to my ends. I think the maintanance is slightly different for most people, so I want to keep this thread about braids, no extensions (mostly no wigs). :)

How about the braid and twist for growth challenge?

oh ok then. Got it!

msdeevee

I wish I could do this. Im lame when it comes to braiding. I can braid but I can't part straight for nothing . I would look hecka crazy.

Manter26 & Ms Luna your braids are lush and lovely.
Yes, I have read your blog just can't do it. This would be a great Fall/Winter protective style.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Question- do you think mini braids shrink as much as twists? I have done mini twists in the past but I stopped bc my twists shrink to EL and I have trouble putting them up in ponytails and get sick of wearing them down. If the braids stay stretched enough to put in a pony I might consider the work of putting them in.
Also, how is the takedown? How long does it take?

Saga

The Generous Queen
This is my set. Did it on blowdried hair. It has shrunken up alot since then due to trimming and washing.

Attachments

• P9010583.jpg
    P9010583.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 237
  • P9010590.jpg
    P9010590.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 219

msdeevee

I actually experimented today. I was already in the midst of doing a set of mini twists. I finished the front but I think I'm going to forgo the parting like i do with my twists and just try to do the mini braids on the back and compare how they wear.

Of course I will be wearing them pinned up so I won't look too crazy.

I will continue to lurk in this thread.

manter26

I wish I could do this. Im lame when it comes to braiding. I can braid but I can't part straight for nothing . I would look hecka crazy.

Manter26 & Ms Luna your braids are lush and lovely.
Yes, I have read your blog just can't do it. This would be a great Fall/Winter protective style.

msdeevee
I do them without parting too. I've worn many sets with what I call 'organic parting'- just pinch off some hair and braid it. The only reason I stick to a grid is because my hair is so fine, stray strands tend to criss-cross and get caught in random braids. Maybe you could try organic parting and see how you like it.

Question- do you think mini braids shrink as much as twists? I have done mini twists in the past but I stopped bc my twists shrink to EL and I have trouble putting them up in ponytails and get sick of wearing them down. If the braids stay stretched enough to put in a pony I might consider the work of putting them in.
Also, how is the takedown? How long does it take?

Foxglove
I don't think they shrink as much. I lose maybe 1-2 inches comparing loose hair to braided dry hair. After washing my braids they shrink up a bit more.

You can always stretch mini twists or mini braids by plaiting after washing or bantu knots, buns, etc...

The takedown time depends on the size of the braids. I always give myself a few days so I'm not stressed about it. I have a few tips on my blog about taking them out.

yorkpatties

I've taken down my last set of minis from the summer about 2 weeks ago and I just completed my new minis for fall. Much thinner braids this time. My hair was in about 10 plaits, and from there I did "organic parting". The braids in the front, I tried to keep the parts neat.

I'll post pics once I take some a little bit later.

Atdow71

I'm taking down my mini twists tonight and I'll start my mini braids tomorrow on clean hair. I hope I can leave them in for at least 4 weeks and touch up the braids that need it.

MummysGirl

I've never tried mini braids (on my natural hair, I did them quite a few times when I was transitioning)! I might when I take out my extensions. :yep:

Last edited:

NaturalfienD

Whew,

I made it to this weekend … I've been anxiously awaiting to have an opportunity to braid my hair with no interruptions. I got started last night and the process is not bad at all. Last week, I installed loose twists so last night I took some down and replaced with mini braids. Off top I noticed the difference in length … the braids give my hair the weight it needs to have some hang time. I'm liking the style already.

Once I have completed my entire head, I am going to co-wash my hair. Then I will take pix for y'all. Have a great day ladies.

Fhrizzball

So i'm tentatively joining in. I have minitwists in for the past week and I miss washing my hair so i'm converting them into braids and hope that works out. I'm a sucky parter so the loose hair strands are something i'm going to have to work on. My minitwists unravel so much on the ends I figure mini braids will help keep everything more protected and in place more. It will be a bit before it's done though.

manter26

I wanted to go another month with these but they look a mess because I've been baggying my braids. I'm too lazy to take them out right now. :scratchch

ETA: I guess they don't look too bad, just not as neat as I would like.

Last edited:

yorkpatties

I'm going to go a while with these. They're smaller than the last ones I did. I'd often re-braid those when they were looking too frizzy, but these are so small I don't see that happening. I trimmed a nice amount from my ends when I was done braiding. My bf asked me the other day what my goal length was. I realized I didn't really have a goal in mind, no length to reach and def no time frame. Just grateful to have hair on my head and seeing where this journey takes me.

image-3272587913.jpg