Mini Braid Challenge- Fall 2012

NaturalfienD

^

Your hair looks cute … perhaps I should've done smaller sections so my hair looks fuller. I plan on taking pix of my final results tomorrow … I love the style, my hair just looks mad scalpy right now.

MaraWithLove

:lurking: I've been playing around with my hair and I think once I take down my most recent quick PS, I'm going to install mini braids. In consideration of my length, it might involve a few bobby pins and/or some styling, but it'll be low manipulation and I look forward to it! :yep:

yorkpatties

NaturalfienD said:
^

Your hair looks cute … perhaps I should've done smaller sections so my hair looks fuller. I plan on taking pix of my final results tomorrow … I love the style, my hair just looks mad scalpy right now.

Thank you. I can't wait for another week so they can get a little bushier; they will start to almost look like dreads but I like when it fills out some. All I can do it throw a headband on em.

manter26

Welcome new joiners! Don't forget to post pics when your braids are finished. :yep:

Here's my style from the weekend.

I trimmed the ends of each of my braids. I decided last year, to trim on every equinox and solstice. It's a great way for me to keep to a schedule. I cut splits and ssks in between that time.

I'm cool my braids now...I'll give them another 3-4 weeks, as planned.

NaturalfienD

Hi ladies,

Here are the pix of my braids. I took some last night and realized that I needed to make the parts smaller … I spent time going back and making my hair look neater. I definitely need more practice but I'm headed in the right direction. Have a great day …

ForumRunner_20120925_075023.jpg

ForumRunner_20120925_075046.jpg

NaturalfienD

Hey @ Manter26 ...

I have a question for you that I think you might have addressed in a previous post but I will put myself out there and ask anyway :look:. What are your thoughts on doing the GHE while in mini braids? I used the GHE method while in twists and the moisture made my hair look 'unkept' (and that is putting it mildly) the same was true for me if I cowashed my hair while in twists.

I cowashed my mini braids two or three times now and the moisture did not affect the appearance of my hair. I am wondering if I can do the GHE while in this style without it looking 'unkept.' :) I want to ask if you or any of the other ladies in this thread have had good results of GHEing while in minis ...

Forgive me if this is a silly question but I am willing to be foolish for a good answer. Thank you kindly!! :yep:

manter26

Hey @ Manter26 ...

I have a question for you that I think you might have addressed in a previous post but I will put myself out there and ask anyway :look:. What are your thoughts on doing the GHE while in mini braids? I used the GHE method while in twists and the moisture made my hair look 'unkept' (and that is putting it mildly) the same was true for me if I cowashed my hair while in twists.

I cowashed my mini braids two or three times now and the moisture did not affect the appearance of my hair. I am wondering if I can do the GHE while in this style without it looking 'unkept.' :) I want to ask if you or any of the other ladies in this thread have had good results of GHEing while in minis ...

Forgive me if this is a silly question but I am willing to be foolish for a good answer. Thank you kindly!! :yep:

NaturalfienD I was actually planning to blog about this next week. I don't think I've talked about it so it's a good question to ask...

I do GHE some nights while in mini braids and yes, they have gotten messier sooner and look unkempt before their time. I still do it because the frizz doesn't bother me that much. It's only at the roots and I can use some gel and wear a scarf to make it less visible. I was stressing out over fuzzy roots last week and I took pics for the blog and you can hardly tell.

My only suggestion if you plan to GHE or baggy is not to add any water or liquid to your mini braids beforehand. I find that my braids do no dry and start to smell damp after 1 night. :nono: I use an oil mixture (castor, grape seed, peppermint) and GHE with that only. I don't add any leave ins to my hair because my braids hold moisture well and feel great without anything extra.

My results are super soft hair. My growth rate is a little better than my usual (1 cm/month) GHE, the oil, and other healthy habits have my growth around average- 1 in/month.

You can always try it out and see how it works for you. If frizz is a major concern you probably won't appreciate GHE'ing as much. If you end up with damp smelling hair, I have a blog post on remedying that.

And thanks for the question...I'll know what to address in the blog post on GHE/baggying. :)

MaraWithLove

I have a random question, just because I want to PS for the next few months and may switch between mini braids and twists.

For those of you who've tried individual twists, how do braids compare in terms of: maintenance, tangling, management of ends?

Thanks in advance ladies! :)

BraunSugar

I have a random question, just because I want to PS for the next few months and may switch between mini braids and twists.

For those of you who've tried individual twists, how do braids compare in terms of: maintenance, tangling, management of ends?

**Not in this challenge (yet), but I lurk**

Twists don't last as long and tangle more easily due to their ability to shrink up a lot. When you wash your twists, they can unravel easily even if you wash in ponytails or while the hair is banded. My ends are relatively the same with braids and twists because they coil up. Twists are a style that I think works best shorter term. The longer I keep twists in, the more tangling issues I face.

manter26

Here's my opinion:

Maintenance- Braids win this one. They can easily be cowashed without tangling or hassle. They shrink less and for me, my hair stays smooth. Twists usually feel rough to the touch...which I assume is because my hair is porous.

Tangling- Braids win again. Although twists are easier to put in and a faster process, no matter how meticulous I am, stray hair works it way out of the twists and tangles with other twists. I end up with webbed hair wrapped around everything.

Ends- Once again, braids win out. When I braid my hair my ends curl up on their own and work together with all the strands going in the same direction. I don't braid to the very end so I can easily take them out. My twists have to be done to the ends so they don't unravel. I can never work the absolute end of the twist apart. I'll pull my hair apart and it might be 1 mm from the end of the twist and the hair that is forced downward will automatically tangle to the point where I can't get it out without cutting the ends off. I either have to snip off hair or it's frayed or broken after twists. I think my strands are just too fine for them.

I can see how twists work for some people but my hair can't handle them. They are less time consuming to put in and they fluff up and look fuller than braids, but no doubt, every time I wear them I regret it.

MaraWithLove

I'm in!

^^This (back) was last night before I'd finished

I'm going to have to figure out the best night routine for my hair-for one, my silk scarf came off in my sleep. Secondly, my braids were kind of sticking up. :look: But, I will figure this out in time! :yep:

NaturalfienD

I'm in!

^^This (back) was last night before I'd finished

I'm going to have to figure out the best night routine for my hair-for one, my silk scarf came off in my sleep. Secondly, my braids were kind of sticking up. :look: But, I will figure this out in time! :yep:

What I do to prevent my hair from sticking up is wrap my hair around my head (like you would a flat ironed style) and secure with bobbie pins. I put a doorag on to lay my hair down more and then I throw my satin bonnet on over that for extra protection. I got the idea of wrapping my hair from Naptural85, it works like a charm … p.s. your hair is cute. :)

MaraWithLove

NaturalfienD Thank you, I'm going to try that! Also, thank you for the compliment! I've seen your pics and think braids suit you well; I'll be glad when I can pull mine into a bun! :)

Co-washed today and my hair and scalp loved it even in mini-braids, so I'm sticking with it. My scalp was feeling slightly irritated and I'm not sure whether it was from the tea I spritzed with or that I accidentally got DC on my scalp <--hate when that happens. Either way, it seems to have resolved now! :)

Atdow71

Here's my first attempt at mini braids. I'm a novice when it comes to this so here goes.
I plan on keeping them in for 6wks

NaturalfienD

Checking In,

Thanks again @ Manter26 for your insight on GHE. I tried it out and I had good results. My hair did not look frizzy at all the next day. I am happy that I am able to cowash and GHE like I want to without dealing with tangles or my hair looking ratchet.

I am really happy with my mini braids and the versatility I have with this style. I had to share … have a great day ladies!!

Just11412

yeah every time i do a set of mini twists and try to keep them in for longer than like 2 weeks i regret it. yes mini braids are time consuming to put in and take down but i do well in them. i have better retention with mini braids. i also like that i can give my hair a break. right now i don't feel like being bothered with my hair. i still take care of it (co wash 2 times a week, keep my hair moisturized, take them down every 4-6 weeks and doing an intense deep condish pampering session, mild search and destroy/dusting before reinstalling my mini braids). i just need my hair to be as low maintenance as possible right now and mini braids provide that. i plan on staying in mini braids until june 2013.

jesusislove1526

I loosened the ends of my braids and two strand twisted them. They have been in for 4 weeks now, and I will take them out next Friday.

Attachments

• 10-2-12--Loosened Mini Braids at 3 weeks post.jpg
    10-2-12--Loosened Mini Braids at 3 weeks post.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 10-3-12--Mini Braid Twistout.jpg
    10-3-12--Mini Braid Twistout.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 108

manter26

I just hit the 4 week mark myself, 2 more weeks to go. My roots look kinda crazy, but I'm working with it. I'm currently editing a few style tutorials that will be up on the blog this weekend.

Here's where my hair is now (it's curled for the tutorial):

top- grew about 1/2"

back- I got about 3/4" of growth

more details on the blog, as well as weekly updates.

How's everyone else doing? Do you have any styles to share with us?

manter26

yeah every time i do a set of mini twists and try to keep them in for longer than like 2 weeks i regret it. yes mini braids are time consuming to put in and take down but i do well in them. i have better retention with mini braids. i also like that i can give my hair a break. right now i don't feel like being bothered with my hair. i still take care of it (co wash 2 times a week, keep my hair moisturized, take them down every 4-6 weeks and doing an intense deep condish pampering session, mild search and destroy/dusting before reinstalling my mini braids). i just need my hair to be as low maintenance as possible right now and mini braids provide that. i plan on staying in mini braids until june 2013.

I totally agree with all of this. I would love to share this on my blog, if that's okay with you? :)

Atdow71

My hair is doing great. Like some of the other ladies stated mini twists wreck havoc on my hair. As soon as water touched my twists they started to matte & tangle. Taking them down was a nightmare.
So far I've washed my hair 2xs since installing my mini braids on Sunday & no matting or tangling. Mini braids are going to be my go to p.s.

manter26

I'm taking my braids out. I didn't realize I only have a week and a half until I need to flat iron my hair. :blush: Where did the time go...

Ltown

Greyland
I seen one poster with 3 b/c try mini braids, manter26 have you reach anything on this texture success with mini braids? My hair does hold a braid without rubber band, i assume that anyone with this texture would be as usual stle challenge, being limited to ponytails.