Mini Braid Challenge- Fall 2012

manter26

I seen one poster with 3 b/c try mini braids, manter26 have you reach anything on this texture success with mini braids? My hair does hold a braid without rubber band, i assume that anyone with this texture would be as usual stle challenge, being limited to ponytails.

pelohello gave some good advice. I'm not sure what her texture is but she was transitioning. If I remember correctly, she used a waxy product to help hold her ends. I'm not sure how she styled her braids. Maybe she can chime in.

jprayze has a looser texture as well and she wore her hair down. pics Did you have and unraveling jprayze?

If your hair is long enough, it would probably look great if you put some perm rods on the ends for a night. The curls should help the ends stay intact.

Last edited:

BraunSugar

I'll be joining you guys for my next install. Since my technique has improved, my braids are holding up strong 2 weeks into them. That means I'll be able to keep them for 3 weeks plus without much of a problem now.

NaturalfienD

Checking In:

... My braids are looking good, better and better as time goes by. I have been cowashing daily since Saturday with great results. I meant to GHE last night but I passed out. I will GHE on Thursday and get back on track. My goal is to keep this install in until the end of next week (that will total four weeks.) I plan on taking them out on the 20th/21st and completing a new install over the last weekend of the month.

I hope you are all doing well ...

Miss_Luna

I'm in week #6.

I really want to take them out, but I am working full-time and taking 15 credits and I don't have a free gap of time to take them all out at once. I've been taking the smaller braids out and "merging" them together so the full take out won't take that long.

I'll probably wait two more weeks before taking them all out. I have a function to go to the weekend of November 3rd and I need to get a good deep condition in after I take these braids out.

I'm kind of excited to see my loose hair again.

Guinan

Re-Branding
@pelohello gave some good advice. I'm not sure what her texture is but she was transitioning. If I remember correctly, she used a waxy product to help hold her ends. I'm not sure how she styled her braids. Maybe she can chime in.

@jprayze has a looser texture as well and she wore her hair down. pics Did you have and unraveling jprayze?

If your hair is long enough, it would probably look great if you put some perm rods on the ends for a night. The curls should help the ends stay intact.

Ltown, my natural texture is 3a/3b in the front and 3c/4a in the middle and back of my hair. I have a medium fine to coarse texture and very thick. I am texlax so my ends do unravel. In order to minimize(sp) the unravelling, I braid my hair on freshly cowashed hair that has been air dried in 6 braids for a day or two. I then section in 4's and begin installing my minis using ampro beezwax. My ends still unravel but it's not too bad. I usually just wear my mini's in a high bun.

I plan on participating in this challenge in November. I have attached some pics of me installing my mini and the after look. Good Luck!!!

Attachments

• better minis1.JPG
    better minis1.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 68
  • better minis2.JPG
    better minis2.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 61
  • better minis3.JPG
    better minis3.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 62
  • better minis4.JPG
    better minis4.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 60

Guinan

Re-Branding
@Ltown, Attached are me installing my mini's

Attachments

• INSTALL MINIS 6.jpg
    INSTALL MINIS 6.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 50
  • INSTALL MINIS 2.jpg
    INSTALL MINIS 2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 46
  • INSTALL MINIS 4.jpg
    INSTALL MINIS 4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 39
  • INSTALL MINIS 5.jpg
    INSTALL MINIS 5.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 44

Ltown

Greyland
@Ltown, my natural texture is 3a/3b in the front and 3c/4a in the middle and back of my hair. I have a medium fine to coarse texture and very thick. I am texlax so my ends do unravel. In order to minimize(sp) the unravelling, I braid my hair on freshly cowashed hair that has been air dried in 6 braids for a day or two. I then section in 4's and begin installing my minis using ampro beezwax. My ends still unravel but it's not too bad. I usually just wear my mini's in a high bun.

I plan on participating in this challenge in November. I have attached some pics of me installing my mini and the after look. Good Luck!!!

pelohello, this is what I thought that you would have to wear a buns to hold down the unraveling but mini braids are still doable. Now I just have to get the time to do them. I might be back!
manter26, thanks for the references!

SincerelyBeautiful

I really want to do some mini twists or braids myself. I have been wanting to do these for a while now. I have a few questions though. 1. Are any of you relaxed? If so how many weeks post are you? I'm 20 weeks post. And if you are relaxed do you braid on freshly relaxed hair or wait until some new growth starts to sprout?? 2. What do you use to lock your baids?? How long do you keep them in? TIA

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I really want to do some mini twists or braids myself. I have been wanting to do these for a while now. I have a few questions though. 1. Are any of you relaxed? If so how many weeks post are you? I'm 20 weeks post. And if you are relaxed do you braid on freshly relaxed hair or wait until some new growth starts to sprout?? 2. What do you use to lock your baids?? How long do you keep them in? TIA

I'm almost 20wks post too and plan on installing my mini's in November. I prefer to braid when I am further along in my stretch; at least 3mths for me. I use ampro beez wax to hold my braids. I keep mines in for two wks, then cowash and re-install. The longest I've gone with them in has been 3wks. Because I don't wash my hair when I'm in my mini's, I take them down every 2wks to cowash.

jesusislove1526

I'm taking my braids out. I didn't realize I only have a week and a half until I need to flat iron my hair. :blush: Where did the time go...

Same here, mine are out as of this afternoon. I am finger detangling as I type this. Mine will be back in on Sunday or Monday, so I will post new pics then.

manter26

manter26 will you be starting a new thread for the beginning of 2013?? I think this will be great for me to try to retain some length.

I will if there's interest. :yep: I might create one for the whole year rather than seasonally. I wasn't sure how many would be joining in or who would want to do these long term.

SincerelyBeautiful

manter26 said:
I will if there's interest. :yep: I might create one for the whole year rather than seasonally. I wasn't sure how many would be joining in or who would want to do these long term.

I will totally join if you do one for the year. I think this is gonna be my new favorite PS :)

Atdow71

I'll be interested in doing them long term and it'll help to get my braiding skills up to par.
I'm going to take this set out on sunday(2 wks) wash, dc, dust and reinstall. I want to try to make them neater & a little bigger.

Last edited:

Atdow71

I did my braids over. I like this set much better than the first set. I plan on keeping them in for at least 6-8 wks.

toyas08

How do you wash your mini braids without making them too frizzy? Or do you just do them over when you ready to wash your hair?

Just11412

yeah i'm lazy so i just do them over when its time to reintall a new set (serious pamper session!) and that is usually 4-6 weeks. i do co-wash my hair in the braids 1-2 a week doing a my hair is just prone to frizz no matter what i do. but to combat the serious frizzies. i either do updos, buns, wear cool scarves or i crimp the braids (wet them a bit and put them in big braids. i might even trying curling this next set i install just to get me through the rough patch.

yorkpatties

I finished taking mine down today. It was a combination of not loving the way they came out (smaller braids, more shrinkage, frizzier ends) and wanting to wear the front section of my hair out in a half wig for a special occasion. This will be my first time in a half wig, I'm looking to play around with other styles if this goes well. I've been in mini's all summer, I'll be back soon enough.

NaturalfienD

Checking in:

… I got mad growth y'all, I can't wait to take these braids out this weekend. My hubby is calling me new growth these days and it's quite alright with me. I don't know if I have mentioned this (look over me if I have) but I am really in disbelief that the ends of my hair have lovely ringlets forming. I would post pix but my camera phone ain't all that.

@ Manter26 thanks for sharing this awesome style. I never would've tried it had I not seen your pix ... HHG ladies.

jesusislove1526

My October set of mini braids. I will keep these in for 5 weeks.

Main picture: my braids after DC, cowash, and LOC
3 pictures on top: my braids before DC, cowash, and LOC
3 pictures on the bottom: my braids after DC, cowash, and LOC

Attachments

• October Mini Braids.jpg
    October Mini Braids.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 129

NaturalfienD

Checking In:

I have taken my mini braids down ... the process was not that bad at all. Out of the entire thing the part that sucked the most was taking down the last eight braids because I wanted to be done.

Another reason (on top of many) that I like mini braids is because I retained the length/thickness that I had before the growth. When I would use extensions hair, the hair would deplete my natural hair of all moisture (even if I treated the extension hair with ACV.) The weight from the extra hair would cause more of my own hair to be pulled out. I never thought that extensions caused extra 'pulling' of my hair until I did this style and noticed that I did not have a lot of hair exiting my head. Not to be extreme but I don't forsee using extension hair for braiding anywhere in my near/distant future.

I have an extra day off this week (for Nevada day, seriously it is a holiday) so I will complete a new install beginning Thursday until ... I will be back to post updated mini braid pix once I have completed the task.

I hope you all are doing well!!

manter26

My October set of mini braids. I will keep these in for 5 weeks.

Main picture: my braids after DC, cowash, and LOC
3 pictures on top: my braids before DC, cowash, and LOC
3 pictures on the bottom: my braids after DC, cowash, and LOC

perfection! :D

Checking In:

I have taken my mini braids down ... the process was not that bad at all. Out of the entire thing the part that sucked the most was taking down the last eight braids because I wanted to be done.

Another reason (on top of many) that I like mini braids is because I retained the length/thickness that I had before the growth. When I would use extensions hair, the hair would deplete my natural hair of all moisture (even if I treated the extension hair with ACV.) The weight from the extra hair would cause more of my own hair to be pulled out. I never thought that extensions caused extra 'pulling' of my hair until I did this style and noticed that I did not have a lot of hair exiting my head. Not to be extreme but I don't forsee using extension hair for braiding anywhere in my near/distant future.

I have an extra day off this week (for Nevada day, seriously it is a holiday) so I will complete a new install beginning Thursday until ... I will be back to post updated mini braid pix once I have completed the task.

I hope you all are doing well!!

@ the bolded I totally agree with that. I see it as some evil form of the 80-20 rule...the last few take the longest, lol.

jesusislove1526

Mini braid bun from yesterday...I will be sooo happy when it gets bigger like manter26's! Perhaps in 2013...

Attachments

• 10-25-12--Mini Braid Bun.jpg
    10-25-12--Mini Braid Bun.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 70