Mini Braid Challenge- Fall 2012

NaturalfienD

Checking In:

I finished my mini braids yesterday!!! I did great with parting on the grid (thanks to @ Manter26 ebook and blog) … the parting made a big difference in the appearance of my hair. (Pics are soon to follow …)

I braided up on dry, clean hair. Sectioned off eight sections, working from the front to the back. I took it upon myself to use a small dab of grease on the ends of my hair to reduce tangling and promote a smoother braid. (I have some more dusting to do to get those super dry ends off.)

I was kinda bad on some braids cause I borrowed hair to complete the braid. I struggled with evening the hair up to prevent borrowing this install but I know I will be better next time.

Installing the braids were great … I took a bunch of breaks and still finished in a good time. I have gotten better with moving my hands quickly down the braid while braiding … I'm proud of myself, lol.

I hope you all are doing well …

manter26

Checking In:

I finished my mini braids yesterday!!! I did great with parting on the grid (thanks to @ Manter26 ebook and blog) … the parting made a big difference in the appearance of my hair. (Pics are soon to follow …)

I braided up on dry, clean hair. Sectioned off eight sections, working from the front to the back. I took it upon myself to use a small dab of grease on the ends of my hair to reduce tangling and promote a smoother braid. (I have some more dusting to do to get those super dry ends off.)

I was kinda bad on some braids cause I borrowed hair to complete the braid. I struggled with evening the hair up to prevent borrowing this install but I know I will be better next time.

Installing the braids were great … I took a bunch of breaks and still finished in a good time. I have gotten better with moving my hands quickly down the braid while braiding … I'm proud of myself, lol.

I hope you all are doing well …

Sounds great! Don't forget to add pics. :)

LadyPBC

NaturalfienD said:
Checking In:

... My braids are looking good, better and better as time goes by. I have been cowashing daily since Saturday with great results. I meant to GHE last night but I passed out. I will GHE on Thursday and get back on track. My goal is to keep this install in until the end of next week (that will total four weeks.) I plan on taking them out on the 20th/21st and completing a new install over the last weekend of the month.

I hope you are all doing well ...

Ummm what is GHE? naturalfien

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Guinan

Re-Branding
LadyPBC said:
Ummm what is GHE? naturalfien

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

GHE means the green house effect. Its where u use ur natural body heat while wearing a shower cap around ur head to help moisturize ur scalp and hair. I luv it!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

yorkpatties

I'm back.

I've been on vacation from LHCF (for no particular reason) and on break from minis, but I've decided to put a new set in. They're not as "mini" as my last minis, which is a good thing. My last set didn't hang nicely and were a pain to take down.

The past few weeks I've been wearing a few plaits under my wigs, playing with half wigs and considering u-part wigs. These wigs only require a very small leave-out so I don't have to give up my mini braids. I would still cowash just about 5 days a week in plaits, but I much prefer doing it with mini braids. I prefer applying my leave in and oil to the mini braids. I prefer the way my scalp feels in minis.

NaturalfienD

Checking In:

I'm still cowashing often and sealing my ends with vaseline. I have attached pics from my recent install. The pics aren't much to look at but I do have a shot of a ringlet, which is new for my hair. All in all, my hair is doing well.

IMG_20121105_193919.jpg

ForumRunner_20121105_194955.jpg

jesusislove1526

I have 1 more week to go on this set of mini braids. They have been in for 4 weeks as of today. My daughter asked me if I had ever kept them in for 6 weeks, and I told her that I haven't before. I think I'm going to try it for my first set in 2013 to see if I can last that long, and if I can I might make it a regular thing for me. After I cowash tomorrow I'm going to do a braidout on them, so I will post pictures of that after I unbraid.

2 pictures of how my roots look as of today...I have unbraided the ends in preparation for the takedown.

Edited: This set will be coming down on Friday for a clarifying shampoo/DC/cowash on Saturday, so they will be out for 1 week before I put them back in.

Attachments

• 11-11-12--Mini Braids at 4 Weeks (2).jpg
    11-11-12--Mini Braids at 4 Weeks (2).jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 11-11-12--Mini Braids at 4 Weeks.jpg
    11-11-12--Mini Braids at 4 Weeks.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

jesusislove1526

These are pictures of my mini braidout after my mini braids were removed, and pictures of my braidout that I did with the loosened ends while my braids were still in.

Attachments

• 11-17-12--Mini Braidout (2).jpg
    11-17-12--Mini Braidout (2).jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 11-17-12--Mini Braidout.jpg
    11-17-12--Mini Braidout.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 11-16-12--Braidout w Loose Ends.jpg
    11-16-12--Braidout w Loose Ends.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 11-16-12--Braidout w Loose Ends (2).jpg
    11-16-12--Braidout w Loose Ends (2).jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 11-16-12--Braidout w Loose Ends (3).jpg
    11-16-12--Braidout w Loose Ends (3).jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 87

BraunSugar

Alright, I'm going to join this challenge for the end of the year. My plan is to keep these braids in until the Dec 29th. I may go longer depending on how they hold up. I've braided these braids tightly and smaller than I normally would. Here's my set.

I'll be using my braid spray (aloe vera juice, honey, grapeseed oil) to moisturize. I will seal with my home made leave in, and either cowash or wash with black soap depending on what my hair needs. At night I will cover my braids with my satin pocket bonnet.

manter26

I have 1 more week to go on this set of mini braids. They have been in for 4 weeks as of today. My daughter asked me if I had ever kept them in for 6 weeks, and I told her that I haven't before. I think I'm going to try it for my first set in 2013 to see if I can last that long, and if I can I might make it a regular thing for me. After I cowash tomorrow I'm going to do a braidout on them, so I will post pictures of that after I unbraid.

2 pictures of how my roots look as of today...I have unbraided the ends in preparation for the takedown.

Edited: This set will be coming down on Friday for a clarifying shampoo/DC/cowash on Saturday, so they will be out for 1 week before I put them back in.

Beautiful!

These are pictures of my mini braidout after my mini braids were removed, and pictures of my braidout that I did with the loosened ends while my braids were still in.

Your braid out is actually wearable. I'm jealous. :lol:

Alright, I'm going to join this challenge for the end of the year. My plan is to keep these braids in until the Dec 29th. I may go longer depending on how they hold up. I've braided these braids tightly and smaller than I normally would. Here's my set.

I'll be using my braid spray (aloe vera juice, honey, grapeseed oil) to moisturize. I will seal with my home made leave in, and either cowash or wash with black soap depending on what my hair needs. At night I will cover my braids with my satin pocket bonnet.

Love these!!! :) Your braid spray recipe sounds great. Why did you add honey?

manter26

Just braided my 5 yo niece's hair over 2 days. She's off for the whole week so I thought it's a good time to get her hair done. She's 4B/ 4C. I braided on dry (dirty) hair because it was stretched. Her shrunken hair is about 3 inches- stretched it's mbl on her. My sister will wash it tomorrow.

Last edited:

manter26

Honey has been giving my hair an extra boost of moisture & softness. It's one of my fave things to use now.

Thanks, I need to get some honey. I used it a lot when transitioning and I liked the results.

BraunSugar I just saw your bun in the everyday hair thread. Did you use a comb to part your hair or was it just pinched off with your fingers?

BraunSugar

Thanks, I need to get some honey. I used it a lot when transitioning and I liked the results.

@BraunSugar I just saw your bun in the everyday hair thread. Did you use a comb to part your hair or was it just pinched off with your fingers?

I pinched with my fingers. I am the worst at parting. I even tried your grid method but I guess I have to practice more. I always get very lopsided parts.

ezina

I just gave myself mini braids yesterday. It took me about 15 hours with a couple of breaks in between. It definitely doesn't look as nice as the OP's but I feel like I will be sticking with this protective style long enough to get better at it. I hope this set lasts at least 4 weeks! No more heat styles until my graduation in May 2013 if I can keep up with mini braids. :)

jesusislove1526

My new set of braids is going in today. They won't be as small as usual because they will only be in for 4 weeks this time. I am getting my annual flat iron done by my daughter over the Christmas holiday. I will post pictures tomorrow!

NaturalfienD

Checking In:

I am still in mini braids ladies, I have quite a bit of growth right now and I don't plan on taking them down until the second or third week of December. I will be going out of town soon and I refuse to deal with my hair in a loosened state. Hell no, no, no. That would be too stressful for me.

Once I take them out, I will have my hair flat ironed over NYE weekend. I will post pix of the straight style and then throw the mini braids right back in once my hair reverts back sometime in January. :yep:

I hope you all are doing well!!

manter26

I started my braids on Saturday. I still have a lot left to do. I've done the perimeter and threw it in a wonky bun for work this morning.

jesusislove1526

The new braids....I think they are probably almost medium sized. The density of my hair makes the braids themselves look smaller even though they are from larger sections. They will be removed on or around December 23rd.

Attachments

• November 2012 Braids.jpg
    November 2012 Braids.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 82

NaturalfienD

manter26 Your hair looks beautiful! I cannot wait until my braiding and parting skills come up so my hair can look something like yours ... great job!

jesusislove1526 Great job on your new install ... I love the way your ends curl up, very cute!

yorkpatties

Not currently in minis, but I'll be back very soon.

Random thought: I think my wigs lye down flatter when I have minibraids than they do when I have cornrows. I totally wasn't expecting that at all.

BraunSugar

Checking in! On day 9 of minibraids. Everything is going well. I washed and DC'd on Sunday. I have been wearing the braids in banana clip ponytails & buns. This weekend I'm going to set the ends on some perm rods (the yellow ones). The plan is still keep them end until the end of December.

manter26

I just finished...these are the smallest I've even done with my hair this length. I still haven't taken any high quality pics but these are a some from photobooth until I can get to that.

(I'm cold so my hands are really red...my cat scratched me- hence the bandaid...finally, nails are e.l.f. Desert Haze from the $10 holiday cube w/ 14 mini bottles- love it!)

BraunSugar

Update: It's week 2 of my braids. They are doing fine. I have some new growth and they have loosened a bit, but they still look good. They should make it close to the end of December.

ETA: I'm going to have to ask DH to start helping me take pics of the back of my hair. If not, I need to set up my tripod.

jesusislove1526

manter26 Your hair looks beautiful! I cannot wait until my braiding and parting skills come up so my hair can look something like yours ... great job!

jesusislove1526 Great job on your new install ... I love the way your ends curl up, very cute!

Thanks so much!
manter26- Your new set of braids are beautiful as usual:) I checked out the website and I think that the 25 days of styles is a fantastic idea! I will be looking on there periodically throughout the month to see if I can get some more inspiration.

manter26

Thanks so much!
manter26- Your new set of braids are beautiful as usual:) I checked out the website and I think that the 25 days of styles is a fantastic idea! I will be looking on there periodically throughout the month to see if I can get some more inspiration.

Thank you so much! :D Thanks for checking out the blog. I know I needed to challenge myself to wear my braids in something other than a bun so I'm excited to see if I can come up with lots of unique styles.