Mini Braid Challenge- Summer 2012

manter26

Thanks lamaria!

@ manter, to keep them from unravelling I've been using beezwax. I think it also helps that I'm 7mths post. But I don't think that if you have a fresh relaxer or not enough new growth that the braids would hold :nono: When the hair unravels too much I re-braid it, which is like every 3-4 days & it's only the edges that's unraveling :ohwell:

But the beeswax has definitely helped. :yep:

My favorite product for my ends has beeswax in it too. I use a massage butter from bath and body works.

lamaria211

There is vegetable wax in a few of my products (nubian heritage) I wonder if that works the same as the beeswax?

manter26

There is vegetable wax in a few of my products (nubian heritage) I wonder if that works the same as the beeswax?

What's the name of the product? Is it a thick butter? If they have that brand at my Walgreens, I want to try it. I know beeswax is on the no-no list of products but I love my massage butter and I only put it on the very ends of my hair. I'm always on the lookout for something healthier.

shelli4018

Finished my braids! Ignore the red ends. I jumped on the henna gloss bandwagon which permanently changed the color of my hair. I don't like it....but what can you do, ya know?

Stretching my hair before braiding makes my 4b hair look silkier. But don't let that and the flash fool you. I have very coily, dry hair. Especially at the crown. I'm hoping semi long term protective styles will allow me to retain more growth by cutting down the breakage. My hair doesn't like too much manipulation.

Last edited:

lamaria211

manter26 said:
What's the name of the product? Is it a thick butter? If they have that brand at my Walgreens, I want to try it. I know beeswax is on the no-no list of products but I love my massage butter and I only put it on the very ends of my hair. I'm always on the lookout for something healthier.

Nubian heritage EVOO &Moringa treatment Masque, Indian Hemp &Tamanu Grow and strengthen Masque, Indian Hemp & Tamanu Grow&Strengthen Custard they are all uber thick and contain veg wax.
The EVOO & Moringa Hair butter has actual beeswax

manter26

Finished my braids! Ignore the red ends. I jumped on the henna gloss bandwagon which permanently changed the color of my hair. I don't like it....but what can you do, ya know?

Stretching my hair before braiding makes my 4b hair look silkier. But don't let that and the flash fool you. I have very coily, dry hair. Especially at the crown. I'm hoping semi long term protective styles will allow me to retain more growth by cutting down the breakage. My hair doesn't like too much manipulation.

Looks great. I love the color too.

Guinan

Re-Branding
shelli4018 said:

I luv it & the color. Was ur hair naturally light b4 u applied the henna?

shelli4018

I luv it & the color. Was ur hair naturally light b4 u applied the henna?

Yes. I figured the gloss wouldn 't leave much color. But I was wrong....doh! It sucks because I wanted blonde highlights this summer. But I'm afraid to mess with it now.

yorkpatties

I am in that awkward after TWA stage where I don't know what to do with my hair so I am wearing wigs and hats 97% of the time! I like having access to my hair so I won't be getting extensions or a weave.

After washing and deep conditioning, I let my hair air dry. Once dry, I part my hair in sections, left to right, take smaller pieces to braid, Aussie moisturizer, Jane Carter sealant and I braid. My hair is short so I put on something funny and I am done in less than 2 hours.

Attachments

• braids.jpg
    braids.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 123

Guinan

Re-Branding
Mines are in a bun too. When I get home, I plan on M&S w/ glycerin and argan oil. I think this weekend I am going to cleanse my scalp w/ tea tree oil.

manter26

Here's a styling tutorial that I have on my blog. This is how I do my bun. All you need is a ponytail holder and some hair pins...

full explanation is here

start with high ponytail (don't use pink, lol)

roll the hair over your fingers

pin the roll in place at the base of it where it meets your hair

top view of 2 completed rolls. continue all the way around (it's about 4-5 rolls) pinned where needed. tuck in stray braids

Tada!

It looks fuller than it really is.

I'll have my parting tutorial up on the blog tomorrow.

Last edited:

4HisGlory

I had to take my braids down early:sad:. I got a call for a job interview and a headband was not enough to camoflouge my raggedies so I bit the bullet and took them down. Took me about 4 hours, which really flew by. Thanks to oiling my scalp and sealing with castor oil, take down was pretty effortless. No matting and no single strand knots. I had another interview today, so I'm glad I went ahead and took them down.

I plan to wear my hair in flat twists/twist outs for a week. I don't feel like two strand twisting, just to take them down in a few days. . . I also have a trim scheduled on Wednesday, so I will be rebraiding on Thursdsay & Friday. Be back with pics next week.

I'm also contemplating making my own unpetroleum jelly for sealing, but haven't decided if I ready to take on the concoction.

yorkpatties

I had to take my braids down early:sad:. I got a call for a job interview and a headband was not enough to camoflouge my raggedies so I bit the bullet and took them down. Took me about 4 hours, which really flew by. Thanks to oiling my scalp and sealing with castor oil, take down was pretty effortless. No matting and no single strand knots. I had another interview today, so I'm glad I went ahead and took them down.

I plan to wear my hair in flat twists/twist outs for a week. I don't feel like two strand twisting, just to take them down in a few days. . . I also have a trim scheduled on Wednesday, so I will be rebraiding on Thursdsay & Friday. Be back with pics next week.

I'm also contemplating making my own unpetroleum jelly for sealing, but haven't decided if I ready to take on the concoction.

You may be in need of a nice wig. Job interviews are precisely how I got into wigs. Best way to look professional at a moments notice.

NaeChail

Tomorrow is the start of week 3. Y'all, my braids are so fuzzy!! Like....raccoon's a$$ type fuzzy. Lol. But I am determined to leave em in for 6 weeks. So I'm going to keep bunning them, cut back on my cowashing and make it happen.

pinkDNA

manter26 What's your process for putting these in? Do you tackle it all in one weekend? I'd love to join this challenge but I have so much hair I'm worried it'll take me 3 weeks just to put them in :lol:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Well I took out my minis (took me about 2 hours). I had them in for almost 2 weeks. I applied veggie glcerin and then crece pelo to my hair and bagging overnight. Then the next morning I dc for an hour and then cowashed w/ suave.

I put 12 braids in my hair so that they can air-dry & so that I could workout. Later tonight I plan on re-installing my minis in order to finish up the challege.

I was surprise that my hair wasn't too gross since I haven't cowashed in over a week :)

I will post pics after I'm done

manter26

manter26 What's your process for putting these in? Do you tackle it all in one weekend? I'd love to join this challenge but I have so much hair I'm worried it'll take me 3 weeks just to put them in :lol:

pinkDNA
I give my self about a week and strategically braid around the perimeter so I can hide the hair that isn't finished. I section my hair off and work within those sections.

The meat and potatoes of it is in my ebook which is finally finished and available on my blog. Which reminds me, I need to PM those who were interested.

I'm leaving my braids in for maybe 8 weeks so it's worth it to spend a week putting them.

Last edited:

nisha98

Ladies how do you prep your hair for mini braids? I have pretty thick natural hair that tends to be dry. Next weekend I have an appointment to get some put in. My plan is to henna, steam my dc in, and blow dry (tension method). But how do you moisturize after the blow dry/before braids are put in and/or what do you braid with? I'll need to apply whatever before I get to my appointment. Thanks.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Hopefully the challenge will still be going strong in late july once I take this weave out.

Good luck ladies

manter26

Ladies how do you prep your hair for mini braids? I have pretty thick natural hair that tends to be dry. Next weekend I have an appointment to get some put in. My plan is to henna, steam my dc in, and blow dry (tension method). But how do you moisturize after the blow dry/before braids are put in and/or what do you braid with? I'll need to apply whatever before I get to my appointment. Thanks.

I don't blowdry. After clarifying, DCing with moisture and protein, I saturate my hair with Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk then put in about 8 large braids. The next day's braid out stretches my hair.

Hopefully the challenge will still be going strong in late july once I take this weave out.

Good luck ladies

I'll still be in it. I'll try to post updates so the thread will be bumped. I really want to wear these until I reach BSL... I have a vacation in August and a wedding in October so I might be out of braids two times until December.

NaeChail

manter26 said:
pinkDNA
I give my self about a week and strategically braid around the perimeter so I can hide the hair that isn't finished. I section my hair off and work within those sections.

The meat and potatoes of it is in my ebook which is finally finished and available on my blog. Which reminds me, I need to PM those who were interested.

I'm leaving my braids in for maybe 8 weeks so it's worth it to spend a week putting them.

Say what?? The book...lemme mosey on over there....

shelli4018

Tomorrow is the start of week 3. Y'all, my braids are so fuzzy!! Like....raccoon's a$$ type fuzzy. Lol. But I am determined to leave em in for 6 weeks. So I'm going to keep bunning them, cut back on my cowashing and make it happen.

Why don't you redo a section each day? Not sure I could walk around with fuzzy braids for 3 more weeks.....wait a minute....why are your braids so darn fuzzy anyway??? You're tying it up at night? Not manipulating them too much?

manter26

Why don't you redo a section each day? Not sure I could walk around with fuzzy braids for 3 more weeks.....wait a minute....why are your braids so darn fuzzy anyway??? You're tying it up at night? Not manipulating them too much?

^That's a good point. :yep: You could even redo them and split each in two so you have a smaller set that will last longer.

Here are my braids at 2 weeks. They still look new except for the new growth...

Eta: the braids at the back (pictured) are actually 3 weeks old because I started there and it took a week to do my whole head. So only the ones on top are 2 weeks old.

Last edited: