Mini Braid Challenge- Summer 2012

manter26

Hi all! I mentioned a challenge in the thread on my mini braids: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=623679

I'll be wearing these all summer. For anyone else interested, please join me. :grin: The only challenge rules are that you wear them at least 3 weeks. Post starting and progress pics if you like but I strongly urge you to :poke: Post your reggie as well. Keep us updated on your styles and progress.

Anyone can join at any time. It's a great protective style and I definitely appreciate the ease of the braids for summer. I can keep my hair up and out of way and cowash it without the hassle of loose hair.

I'm here for questions you might have. PM me or visit my blog (in siggie).

Last edited:

manter26

my starting pic:

Braid reggie:
cowash at least 1x a week with Giovanni Nutrafix
moisturize after cowash with Giovanni Direct Leave-In
seal with castor oil
DC 1x a month with Aphogee 2 min LeKair Cholesterol
bun everyday.

I just bought some Nature's Blessing grease so I may use that on my scalp...for growth only. I don't normally use grease for anything.

Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

I'm in! I'm in! Though my braids are a bit scalpy due to my fine strands, I curled them on some rods & am really warming up to them. Plus my hair is sooo soft & the only thing I've done since I've had them is spray them a couple of time with some Oyin J&B.

At some point I will co-wash but it's unreal. If my hair was out loose & I went this long w/o wetting it, it would feel like a brillo pad. I'll be wearing these (w/ or w/o a touchup) until the 2nd week of August. I'll switch to a twist style for a week or less for a special babyshower & then I'll be right back in.

I'm trying to wear mini braids consistently indefinitely. Hoping it'll help me retain as much length as possible.

Enuf of my ramblings...

ETA: This was right after I got it braided so my ends are looking really dry. After I used the Jane Carter mousse to rod it, the ends curled up. I don't have a set routine right now. Just playing it by ear.

Braids 6-9-12.jpg

Last edited:

thehappyserver

I really, really, really wish I could join! but I don't think I have enough hair yet. How many inches would you say that hair has to be to attempt mini braids?

lamaria211

Yaay im in
Starting pick below I will be cowashing weekly mid week and poo washing and DCing weekly as well. Moisturizing and sealing daily

ForumRunner_20120611_213411.jpg

ForumRunner_20120611_213746.jpg

lamaria211

thehappyserver said:
I really, really, really wish I could join! but I don't think I have enough hair yet. How many inches would you say that hair has to be to attempt mini braids?

May we see a pic of your hair? It really doesnt need to be that long at all

manter26

I'm in! I'm in! Though my braids are a bit scalpy due to my fine strands, I curled them on some rods & am really warming up to them. Plus my hair is sooo soft & the only thing I've done since I've had them is spray them a couple of time with some Oyin J&B.

At some point I will co-wash but it's unreal. If my hair was out loose & I went this long w/o wetting it, it would feel like a brillo pad. I'll be wearing these (w/ or w/o a touchup) until the 2nd week of August. I'll switch to a twist style for a week or less for a special babyshower & then I'll be right back in.

I'm trying to wear mini braids consistently indefinitely. Hoping it'll help me retain as much length as possible.

Enuf of my ramblings...

ETA: This was right after I got it braided so my ends are looking really dry. After I used the Jane Carter mousse to rod it, the ends curled up. I don't have a set routine right now. Just playing it by ear.

Yes :yep: :yep: :yep: To the bolded. I've been telling my sister this for years! She finally put in a set and kept it in for 6 weeks. She said it's the softest her hair has ever been. She took them out and a week later she put in another set. :lol:

Your braids look great.

My hair was super short, probably 2-3 inches when I first put them in.

Yaay im in
Starting pick below I will be cowashing weekly mid week and poo washing and DCing weekly as well. Moisturizing and sealing daily

Your braids are so plump!

nakialovesshoes

manter26 - thanks for the compliment. You have really sparked something for me. My braider didn't do the straight parts like yours & I was a little disappointed but I think I'm going to show her a picture of yours & ask her to do a grid next time. It's easier for me to apply my growth aid to my scalp (MN/MSM cream mix).

Also, I think that my cycle will be braids for at least 6 weeks & then a twist style for a week for a small break, repeat.

manter26

manter26 - thanks for the compliment. You have really sparked something for me. My braider didn't do the straight parts like yours & I was a little disappointed but I think I'm going to show her a picture of yours & ask her to do a grid next time. It's easier for me to apply my growth aid to my scalp (MN/MSM cream mix).

Also, I think that my cycle will be braids for at least 6 weeks & then a twist style for a week for a small break, repeat.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I was truly amazed by how different my very porous hair felt when I first put it in braids. I've been hooked ever since.

It looks like your stylist just pinched off parts which is probably a little faster than using a comb. She did a great job on the braids though. They look tight- which is great for long lasting braids.

thehappyserver

Sorry, it took me an hour to figure out how to post this pic! I hope it's not too big. Umm please excuse my appearance, strep throat has had me in bed for the past four days!:blush:

but umm.. what do you think?? Do I have enough hair?

nakialovesshoes

Sorry, it took me an hour to figure out how to post this pic! I hope it's not too big. Umm please excuse my appearance, strep throat has had me in bed for the past four days!:blush:

but umm.. what do you think?? Do I have enough hair?

thehappyserver
I think so if you can braid or have the right braider. I BCed to about an inch in September & I was wearing tiny plaits in January. My hair may not have been as long as yours. If you can braid, try it out on yourself and see if you like it.

yorkpatties

A few weeks ago I began to do mini braids on myself (because I can't cornrow) and didn't feel like asking someone else to cornrow my hair anymore just so it could lye flat under my wig. I like the mini braids better general maintenance. I will post a pic soon. I am short like OP's 2009 pic with what may be thinner hair. I have super highly porous natural hair as well, I rinse with water just about every day, cowash maybe 1 x 2 times a week now and wash when I take the braids down. I am going to see if I can leave them in longer than 2 weeks this time though. I haven't shampooed in braids yet, though I plan on it.

lamaria211

4HisGlory

I'm in! I still got my old raggedies in . . . trying to make them last 3 weeks. I plan on taking them down this Thursday, wearing twists for a few days, then I will get a trim. I will re-braid next Thursday.

Attachments

• downsized_0607121403.jpg
    downsized_0607121403.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 174
  • downsized_0607121405.jpg
    downsized_0607121405.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 184

Guinan

Re-Branding
I'm in. My pics are in my siggie and I have more pics in my album.

Because my hair is texurized (7mths post) I'm not co-washing b/c they will unravel. But if it starts to feel dirty on the scalp I plan on getting a q-tip & tea tree oil to clease the scalp.

As far as my reggie, I've been M&S every night w/ Elasta Qp and argon oil.

ps: I plan on posting more pics today since I'm having a really great hair day :) I re-braided some parts but use beewax for a better hold, that way they won't unravel.

Good Luck Ladies!!

faithVA

This should be a nice challenge. Go ladies! I'm going to sit this one out. I can't cowash in braids or twists without matting.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Attach are my mini. I wasn't able to take pics of my hair today:ohwell:

But these are the ones in my album

Attachments

• braids 1.JPG
    braids 1.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 159
  • braids 2.JPG
    braids 2.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 137
  • braid out 3.JPG
    braid out 3.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 155
  • braids 4.JPG
    braids 4.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 160
  • braids 5.JPG
    braids 5.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 125

NaeChail

I'm SO in. I attached a pic of my hair the day before I got the braids or so, and then a few pics of my braids and how I bun them. I baggy at night and Cowash every other morning, and moisturizer with a diluted braid spray and Crisco or EVOO lol. This is week 2 for me. I'm aiming for 6 but idk lol.

Attachments

• image-4114816601.jpg
    image-4114816601.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 146
  • image-3571468168.jpg
    image-3571468168.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 134
  • image-953772330.jpg
    image-953772330.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 139
  • image-1246280900.jpg
    image-1246280900.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2541301078.jpg
    image-2541301078.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 123

shelli4018

Think I'll join this challenge. I recently tried this style for a couple of weeks and liked it a lot. Take down wasn't too bad either. So yeah, I should be finished installing my braids this evening. I'm not in a rush.

Last time I used Giovanni Direct Leave In and Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioning Milk to finish.

manter26

manter26 any tips for how to prevent matting?

lamaria211 If you are unsure how your hair will react to washing, wash in larger braids- 4-8 of them. Leave the braids in from beginning to end and dry your hair in them as well. Securing the hair when it wet will give it little room to expand.

Use a conditioner with a lot of slip. Always work the conditioner from root to tip. Smooth the hair downward at all times during the wash. Be gentle. What I do it tilt my head to the side. Put conditioner in my hand, then put both hands together in a clapping motion and smooth the hair downward over and over to distribute the conditioner. I lightly run my fingers over my scalp. Then rinse.

My hair is barely disturbed after a cowash. Hair coming out of the braids is what causes matting. Unless my hair has a ton of new growth there is not hair to matte because it stays neatly in my braids.

Attach are my mini. I wasn't able to take pics of my hair today:ohwell:

But these are the ones in my album

I love these. Hopefully you can give others some tips on braids in processed hair and preventing unravelling.

I'm SO in. I attached a pic of my hair the day before I got the braids or so, and then a few pics of my braids and how I bun them. I baggy at night and Cowash every other morning, and moisturizer with a diluted braid spray and Crisco or EVOO lol. This is week 2 for me. I'm aiming for 6 but idk lol.

Looks good, welcome!

manter26

Think I'll join this challenge. I recently tried this style for a couple of weeks and liked it a lot. Take down wasn't too bad either. So yeah, I should be finished installing my braids this evening. I'm not in a rush.

Last time I used Giovanni Direct Leave In and Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioning Milk to finish.

Welcome! I use those two products as well. Good stuff. :yep:

I think everyone should stick to all natural leave-in's and conditioners at least while in braids because usually they can be absorbed by the hair or easily rinsed out...preventing buildup.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Thanks lamaria!

@ manter, to keep them from unravelling I've been using beezwax. I think it also helps that I'm 7mths post. But I don't think that if you have a fresh relaxer or not enough new growth that the braids would hold :nono: When the hair unravels too much I re-braid it, which is like every 3-4 days & it's only the edges that's unraveling :ohwell:

But the beeswax has definitely helped. :yep:

Last edited: