Mini Braid Thread 2013

Jobwright

I just cannot get the mini's to look full. I have been doing them on my DD's hair. Would you like for me to send a pic? I wonder if it is just because her hair is thin. But she has ALOT of it...

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Thanks for the tag, I'm going to try to wear them for 6mos nxt yr. My only challenge with them is dh.

KinkyGenius

I might try this. Mini twists are really bad on my ends unfortunately, I'm hoping that won't also be the case for mini braids as well.

manter26 - You don't braid all the way down to the end, right? Do you just spiral your ends?

BraunSugar

My next install will be toward the end of January. I retain all of my growth during the 5 months I had my last set in. I did a trim before I put them in and when I removed them I was surprised to see how much longer my hair was. I may even make BSL before I planned to now.

My DH likes for me to wear my hair "big", but after he saw the different styles I did with my braids and my growth, he is on board now. Even if he wasn't, I would still be wearing them. :lol:

manter26

I just cannot get the mini's to look full. I have been doing them on my DD's hair. Would you like for me to send a pic? I wonder if it is just because her hair is thin. But she has ALOT of it...

Jobwright My hair is very fine in texture but I have a ton of it so my braids do not look thin. I think the general rule is the smaller the braids, the fuller the hair looks. Perhaps you can post a pic and we can offer more specific advise. She can always wear them up to make the hair look fuller.

I might try this. Mini twists are really bad on my ends unfortunately, I'm hoping that won't also be the case for mini braids as well.

manter26 - You don't braid all the way down to the end, right? Do you just spiral your ends?

I leave around an inch or two unbraided so I can take them out without issues. I don't do anything to the ends. When I cowash them the first time they curl neatly.

Just11412

yeah i'm going until july.

hair is doing good. i think i will only wash once a week (i was doing twice a week). and i think my cap with my mini braids is 4 weeks. 6 weeks it mats up terribly.

other than that i'm not really changing anything. i might try to style them more. sticking to my regimen and going to up the ante on taking care of the internal health.

jesusislove1526

I am committing myself to mini braids until the beginning of September, except for my annual blowout on my curlyversary in May. I may continue until the end of the year, but I don't want to commit to that just in case I'm unable to do it. I am going to wear my braids for 6 weeks this first time to see how they will look, because usually I don't wear them for over 5 weeks. If they look okay I will continue with the 6 week mini braids periods. I will put my first set in by the 12th. I am finally getting my hair flat ironed tomorrow after several delays, so I want to wear it straight for a little while before I start my mini braid challenge. Thanks for the tag!

NaturalfienD

Hello Ladies,

I'm very happy about the 2013 challenge and looking forward to next week because I'm doing my first install of the year. I have my hair flat ironed right now and it's cool but I'm missing my frequent cowashes. Once I have my hair style completed then I will post pix.

I hope you all are doing well …

jesusislove1526

Hello Ladies,

I'm very happy about the 2013 challenge and looking forward to next week because I'm doing my first install of the year. I have my hair flat ironed right now and it's cool but I'm missing my frequent cowashes. Once I have my hair style completed then I will post pix.

I feel the exact same way! Next week the curls and mini braids will be back in session.

Luxlii

I have been wearing minis for a few years. I have an under processed section of my hair that is why the ends look thin. They look fine when my hair is straightened. I am finally going to do a corrective when I perm in 2 weeks.

Ok I added new pics

Last edited:

sckri23

I started to put my little cousin in mini braids but I didn't have enough time. Ima try again over spring break. I'm also gonna try mini braids when I gain some more length.

Last edited:

Luxlii

I just applied my home made sulfur treatment to my mini braids. I applied my moisture spray, oil mixture them baggied under my scarf. I will be taking my braids out in two weeks.

NaturalfienD

Hi Ladies,

I'm getting ready to install a new set. I'm looking forward to getting back to my routine but I'm not pumped about the super long process. I'll be back to post pix when I'm done.

jesusislove1526

Hi ladies! Here is a collage of my first set of mini braids for this year. I plan to keep them in for around 6 weeks for the first time ever. After all of the years of people telling me how thick my hair is, I think that they may have been wrong as I look at my braids in comparison to others. I think my hair may actually be medium or fine. I don't know....I know that it is coarse, so that may have been confused with it being thick. My braids seem kind of scalpy to me, this is why I'm kind of confused, because if my hair was truly thick, I don't think they would be as scalpy as they are...or maybe its because my hair is not that dense???:perplexed :perplexed

Attachments

• Mini Braids 13-I Collage.jpg
    Mini Braids 13-I Collage.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 235

tolly

I want to use mini braids to help with retention this year. I have only 3inches right now and always have my hands in my hair.It doesn't look very good having theses short braids but I look forward to seeing progress over the next 12months.
I put in a set two weeks ago and only lasted 10days....I hope to keep this one in for at least 4weeks, as long as it doesn't feel matted.

manter26

Welcome newbies! :wave: If you have any questions just mention me and I'll do my best to answer. I'm not currently in mini braids, I probably won't braid again until March...but I'm here on the sidelines.

HHJ! :)

yorkpatties

I'm totally missing my minis.

I'm at an awkward length where if I don't spend 30 min+ retwisting, I don't like the look of my TwistOut the next morning. My hair is becoming more time consuming than I'd like. I've always done my minis myself, but I'm thinking I might just pay to have them done at an African hair braider.

Anyone ever get them done at a shop?
What were the results?

Since I've begun doing my hair myself, I'm a little scared to go to a "professional" again.

yorkpatties

Mini braids in first pic shortly after completion. Second pic later that day after co-wash.

I had my first professional cut as a natural this past March at Miss Jessie's Curl Bar. So perhaps my minis will have a nicer layered shape this go round. I'm not sure how long I want to leave them in, but I like to cowash or rinse my hair just about every day in the summer so this is what works for me right now.

Attachments

• image-79743127.jpg
    image-79743127.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 181

dyh080

I am going to experiment and maybe challenge myself to obtain the most tiny mini braids possible. How? By using only three hair strands per braid. Can't get smaller than that!

Just11412

^^ nah this is my last set.

i'm going to do mini twists for my trip in the next 2 weeks. but as soon as i come back i'm done with anything mini related for awhile.

SunRai Naturals

I'm on my second set of mini's. I did them smaller this time and I like it a lot better than when I did them the first time. I left them in for about 8 weeks last time (I used that 8th week to take out my hair) and I didn't have any issues taking them out. So I am going for 8 weeks this time and then take them out during the 9th week.
I've always been a protective style girl and I kept my hair it about 8 to 10 cornrows. I was nervous about mini braids because I've seen people wear braids/twists (mini and regular size) over time and not have any length retention.

I am happy to say that my hair loves mini braids. I retained all of my length from my first set and my hair did not loc up at all. I thought I was going to have a hard time getting them out but I didn't. I feel like my hair is in better condition because I can get to more of it when I wash and condition it versus when it is in 8-10 cornrows. I feel like my hair is thicker and healthier. This is going to be my go to style for the rest of the year.

SunRai Naturals

I am going to experiment and maybe challenge myself to obtain the most tiny mini braids possible. How? By using only three hair strands per braid. Can't get smaller than that!

dyh080 - Wow! That is super small. Do you have any concerns about them becoming permanent? With only three strands of hair, I'd have to use the end of a comb to get them out and that would cause a lot of breakage for me.

H0tPinkButtafly

im thinking about doing this also. I really wanted to poetic justice inspired braids but I don't want any added hair. I just want to use my own hair. I just don't want to spend time outing a bunch a mini braids or twists in my hair only to hate it lol

Jobwright

I did mini braids for my DD Saturaday morning. It only took about 3 hours. As son as we finished, to the pool we went! I slathered conditioner all over, sealed with oil, perfection. When we left the pool, I cowashed, moisturizer with my aisle spray, sealed and bunned it up. She always gets so many compliments for her natural braids and cute little curls on the ends when I let her wear them loose. This will be her summer style. I will probably take them down and redo once we come back from the beach in July.

Blessed&higlyflavoured

Yep after the first weekend in July i'm going to put in some minibraids. I want to do them quite small and leave the last inch to inch and a half out, to curl up. I want to try and leave them until mid september (my bday) and i think if i do them small i won't be so eager to take them out.