Miss Jessie's products: worth buying or overrated?

cocopuff06

Hey Ladies!

I don't really hear anyone talking about Miss Jessies products for their natural hair. I have been looking for the best products to twist my hair out with that will help retain moisture and a nice curl. Any reactions to Curly Pudding, Curly Meringue, or Curly Buttercreme? Are there other products that someone would recommend that give the same effect?

Nita81

I don't think the products are worth it. I purchased the curly meringue and rapid recovery during the BOGO. The meringue was too heavy for me but ok for my daughter. The rapid recovery was so so. I use that to protect my scalp/ends during relaxing . The products are too expensive to be so mediocre at best.

Last edited:

MizAvalon

Thanks for asking this because I wanted to know too. I've been hearing about them for a long time now and they just had them listed in the latest Lucky magazine so I was thinking of trying them. I did a search and most of the feedback was middle of the road. I don't think I will buy.

cubanit

I just purchased the curly pudding for my daughter. I like it. It smells awesome and I love the hold. Her hair is a bit thick to shingle so next time I ll try the meringue for her. But her twist are awesome I recommend it. Yes its expensive but I have yet to find a cheaper alternative that works the same.

I purchased samples through a motowngirl special and I was not impressed. I think I got the baby buttercream for sure and I think the second product was the merengue. Anyway the baby buttercream moisturized my hair slightly w/a little greasy and hard feeling the next day. The second product I can barely remember if it did anything at all. I guess I felt like I was better off w/ my homemade oil concoctions and shea/aloe mixes than using her stuff!

cocopuff06

Thanks for your input, ladies! Any suggestions for other products to use? Right now I have been doing mango butter with fantasia IC styling gel to do my twistouts, but my hair is usually SOOOOO DRRRRYYY the next day... :ohwell:

sunshinebeautiful

Thanks for your input, ladies! Any suggestions for other products to use? Right now I have been doing mango butter with fantasia IC styling gel to do my twistouts, but my hair is usually SOOOOO DRRRRYYY the next day... :ohwell:

Anytime I use that styling gel period, my hair ends up dry. When I was natural, I just moisturized and twisted. No gel necessary. My hair had enough curl to it that I didn't need gel.

aziza

I love the baby buttercreme. I got good results with the curly pudding, but can get the same resut with Fantasia IC gel. I want to try Oyin Whipped Pudding to compare it to baby buttercreme.

ChocolateSoda

sorry to go off topic but...

My mom has short texturized, curly hair. She needed something so I grabbed her some Garner Frutis curly stuff (sorry I can't remember the name but I read about it on this board).

She tried it and called me saying she will never use anything else. She said it had been months since her last texturizer, and she said it curled up & shined like she had just left the beauty shop!

And the price was right! I think it was under $5. I have looked at Miss Jessie's stuff, but it's just way too expensive for me to try and I'm in a bun all the time anyway.

AsTheCurlzTurns

I've inquired about similar products to Miss Jessie's, and found some recipes on the recipes board to make my own version of it. But I'm not one to knock some one's product if I haven't tried it myself. But when you're looking at the prices of her products, you get to wondering hmmmmm, "Can I make this myself?" LOL Well I admit, I like my homemade version as it stands (which I got from recipe board).

AsTheCurlzTurns

sorry to go off topic but...

My mom has short texturized, curly hair. She needed something so I grabbed her some Garner Frutis curly stuff (sorry I can't remember the name but I read about it on this board).

She tried it and called me saying she will never use anything else. She said it had been months since her last texturizer, and she said it curled up & shined like she had just left the beauty shop!

And the price was right! I think it was under $5. I have looked at Miss Jessie's stuff, but it's just way too expensive for me to try and I'm in a bun all the time anyway.

The Soft Curl Creme you mean? If so, I believe they're discontinuing that, and putting the Fibre Gum Putty in it's place. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.:perplexed

ChocolateSoda

Yes, I think it was the curling cream. You might be right about it being discontinued 'cause I went to their website and did NOT see it.

I purchased from Walmart.

brownsugarflyygirl

I found that the best products for my twists and twisouts are a combination of Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter and Mimosa Hair Honey. Its about $20 for both products from Sephora. My hair stays soft and shiny for 2-3 weeks. Here is a twistout I did with her products:

I have used samples of Miss Jessies and dont care for the consistency or the price. I can buy my two jars of CD products and do about 6 sets of twists which is like $3 for a twistout which I think is a great deal. Hope you find your staple products.

naijamerican

When I rock my freedom fro, I really love the buttercreme. I also bought and like (a lot) the Rapid Recovery, thanks to their BOGO sale. Otherwise I do agree that it's overpriced. Not necessarily overrated, but definitely overpriced. If I could find something that would work just as well for my hair, I would get it.

trj1922

Miss Jessie's worked ok for me but it is overpriced and they changed their formulations a few years back to contain tons of mineral oil, which I avoid. If nothing else, mineral oil is dirt cheap, so why is a styling cream $40?

Anyway, you are better off with Qhemet Biologics or Blended Beauty.

Leeda.the.Paladin

The buttercreme is ok, but not worth the money. I like the pudding a lot less. I'll never purchase either again. They also both made my hair feel yucky, though the buttercreme did produce a nice twist out.