MN vs Chauvin (George Floyd case)

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
Well. I have a prediction watching this latest body cam video. This isn't going to end well for Team George or Minneapolis. :cry3:Manslaughter but not Murder 2 in my opinion.

The cop holding his legs has asked "should we roll him on his side" at least twice so far. I think that was the rookie cop?

Last edited:

Jmartjrmd

Well. I have a prediction watching this latest body cam video. This isn't going to end well for Team George or Minneapolis. :cry3:Manslaughter but not Murder 2 in my opinion.

The cop holding his legs has asked "should we roll him on his side" at least twice so far. I think that was the rookie cop?
they also have murder 3 to consider

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
True - I need to look up the charges and definitions.

I now see though they they didn't pull him out of the car, he was pushing himself out the right door. So that adds more info and further refines the picture in my head of what was happening. I'm torn and still open to see what other evidence is presented. There's no way 9 min and 29 seconds on someone's neck when they had stopped struggling was rational, required or humane and it was clear there was a blatant disregard for George's life by the cop though. AND - the fact that Chauvin approached the car with his gun drawn was (to me) an unnecessary escalation of a situation before anything had really started.

(Full disclosure - my dad was a retired Philly cop and I grew up in West Philly - and he was a cop during the MOVE standoff).

This all makes me so sad. How do we ever get beyond this in my lifetime? Is it too far gone in this country?

Jmartjrmd

True - I need to look up the charges and definitions.

I now see though they they didn't pull him out of the car, he was pushing himself out the right door. So that adds more info and further refines the picture in my head of what was happening. I'm torn and still open to see what other evidence is presented. There's no way 9 min and 29 seconds on someone's neck when they had stopped struggling was rational, required or humane and it was clear there was a blatant disregard for George's life by the cop though. AND - the fact that Chauvin approached the car with his gun drawn was (to me) an unnecessary escalation of a situation before anything had really started.

(Full disclosure - my dad was a retired Philly cop and I grew up in West Philly - and he was a cop during the MOVE standoff).

This all makes me so sad. How do we ever get beyond this in my lifetime? Is it too far gone in this country?
I think it was Officer Lane that approached the car with gun drawn. I've been watching the HLN feed so it's a little delayed from the YouTube one because they stop and talk and of course commercials and the police procedure expert on there was talking about that today.
I'm a little more optimistic as it came out in one of the body camera videos that I think Keung DID check a pulse after he was out and said there wasnt one and they still did nothing. I have to go back and watch that to confirm.
They described the jury reactions today and the 2 black males would not watch the footage they just stared straight ahead.
From reading the murder 3 charge I can see it but I'm speaking from emotion and not legal speak which is different lol. I like court tv and hln because they help me understand how things fit together legally.
My husband is law enforcement ( although military atm) and he wouldn't watch it again either but we will see if he will rejoin me tomorrow.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
Chauvin and Tao (sp?) were the first responders on the scene unless I'm mistaken. Chauvin had his gun out immediately when he opened the car door.

Jmartjrmd

Yeah I think you have it mixed up. They were talking yesterday about his (Lane's) lack of training to pull his gun so quickly.
I took this from an article when Lane's lawyer tried to get his charges dismissed.

The transcript from Lane’s body-worn camera provides additional details from the scene. Lane was one of the first two officers to respond to a call about someone allegedly using a fake $20 bill. Lane pulled his gun on the car Floyd was in and Floyd said, “Please don’t shoot me, Mr. Officer,” according to the transcript.

Jmartjrmd

I wonder if this one man defense show for such a high profile case is setting up for an ineffective counsel appeal if they get a conviction

Also the prosecutor examining the paramedic seemed unprepared especially with her questions.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
I honestly think both the prosecution and defense are doing a good job based on what points / story they're trying to tell. Ultimately I think the defense will fail because there's no reason for Chauvin to have remained on his neck for that long. Even if GF was high (and he was) and Chauvin can offer testimony about having had other suspects revive, once GF was out and not moving at all 9 min was far too long. Of course Chauvin's past behavior might become admissible if they go that route since he's apparently done this several times before and I'm not sure if that will come up ...

Jmartjrmd

I'd never seen this. Its officer Thao's interview with BCA and FBI. it's long but I watched the whole thing. I should be sleep but I cant so I watched it.

Last edited:

PatDM'T

I'd never seen this. Its officer Thao's interview with BCA and FBI. it's long but I watched the whole thing. I should be sleep but I cant so I watched it.
Just finished
watching.

His excuse for
not applying his
Critical Intervention
training, namely,
"because he was just
backup and not the
one arresting" is BS
to me.

Key word being
"intervention" whose
definition is "the
act of coming
between so as to
prevent or alter a
result or course
of events".

So IMO he was
negligent at
some point.

His excuse of being
preoccupied with
the angry witnesses
and traffic might
work in his favor,
but having heard
Floyd say he cannot
breathe, something
should have stirred
in him to apply his
CI training and make
a suggestion at the
least, to mitigate
the crisis at hand.

I cannot imagine
what cold blood
must run through
one's veins for
one to hear
a man beg for
help/for his life
and because of
some dumb loyalty
or respect to a cop
or some code, you
do nothing.

Jmartjrmd

He had 1,000 excuses why it wasn't his job.
I like how he had to get his training extended by a month yet he couldn't remember why.
I would remember that.

Jmartjrmd

This " he could wake up and have superhuman force" is annoying.
He was not just going to regain a pulse with NO cpr and become the incredible hulk.
And if they were so concerned about that where are the calls for backup if they felt the 3 of them would not be able to control him if he woke up.

Jmartjrmd

I've only seen the recap of testimony but my confidence in a conviction is getting shaky now.
The state needs to reevaluate their witness list.
I'm really just waiting on the medical examiner at this point.
To the lady that said its difficult to provide care when people are watching that is not the profession for you. People are always watching/ recording nowdays. You still have a job to do. Someone watching doesn't prevent you from doing the job you were trained to do.

Jmartjrmd

Ok my husband has the baby for a few minutes.
Everybody is going to be signing up for his class!

I will say that when I was first in the hospital with heart failure I remember laying in bed and all of a sudden had the inability to breathe . The urgency I had to sit up was overwhelming and I wasnt handcuffed, prone or otherwise restricted in getting into a position of sitting so that I could breathe. I just cried for George hearing the doctors testimony because to be begging for help and relating my trying to sit up to ease the panic and pain of not being able to breathe effectively I cannot fathom what he went through. To die like that....if they din'ymt convict then God help this country.