MN vs Chauvin (George Floyd case)

Rastafarai

A guest on Roland Martin’s show mentioned that he showed surprise when some of the jurors affirmed their position. I bet those were the white jurors (or white male jurors in particular). As if to suggest how dare you not defend me. All he needed was one (1) to have doubt and he got none.

Might I add I will be driving a bit easier this morning? Still fearful, but confident that my and especially my Black husband’s life can and does matter if fatally confronted by a cop. I held him extra tight when the verdict was announced, but we're still leaving AmeriKKKa.

Last edited:

chocolat79

I think this was a rare instance in which accountability was served. I don't for a second, think this is the beginning of anything new. It just so happened that the timing was completely right (it happened during the pandemic when people had time to actually pay attention) and there was irrefutable evidence, a great prosecution team, great witnesses and experts, AND his own kind testifying against him. I did breathe a sigh of relief in this case, but this is no way sets a precedence for how future killings of unarmed Black people by cops will go, IMO. I'm just glad it was the right verdict this time. I've lived in this country long enough (my entire life) to know this one-off guilty verdict is just that, one off.
For reference, how many mass shootings have to happen (including of children) before ANY gun laws are passed? So...yeah. Cynical rant over.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
Hearing him say that it was a detriment to Chauvin by not taking the stand makes me nervous. Would that be something they can cite on appeal? (Not that that means the appeal goes through ... but just wondering.)

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Hearing him say that it was a detriment to Chauvin by not taking the stand makes me nervous. Would that be something they can cite on appeal? (Not that that means the appeal goes through ... but just wondering.)
I don't see how that could be grounds for appeal since it was his team's choice for him not to take the stand. And I mean what could he say on the stand if the appeal does go through? "I put my knee on his neck for nine minutes because..." There is nothing he could have said to defend his actions. I'm just waiting for them to release him into the general population. :afro:

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
I don't see how that could be grounds for appeal since it was his team's choice for him not to take the stand. And I mean what could he say on the stand if the appeal does go through? "I put my knee on his neck for nine minutes because..." There is nothing he could have said to defend his actions. I'm just waiting for them to release him into the general population. :afro:
Its not about defending his actions ... the jury is instructed (as I understand it) that they cannot use whether the defendant takes the stand (or not) during their deliberations as a strike against them. Which it sounds like this jury did and the juror admitted to them doing. It may not be the only grounds for appeal but a part of several (and we all know he will appeal - they all do - see: Amber Guyger). I've always been uncomfortable when jurors come out making statements and writing books - maybe I watch too much "law TV" and don't really understand how it actually all works, but coming out and stating that you ignored the jury instructions seems no bueno.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Its not about defending his actions ... the jury is instructed (as I understand it) that they cannot use whether the defendant takes the stand (or not) during their deliberations as a strike against them. Which it sounds like this jury did and the juror admitted to them doing. It may not be the only grounds for appeal but a part of several (and we all know he will appeal - they all do - see: Amber Guyger). I've always been uncomfortable when jurors come out making statements and writing books - maybe I watch too much "law TV" and don't really understand how it actually all works, but coming out and stating that you ignored the jury instructions seems no bueno.
Yeah, we'll see what happens.

Jmartjrmd

I think they can use it as grounds of not getting a fair trial. I think it'll just be one of many reasons they appeal though. Remember the defense attorney claiming prosecutorial misconduct, the comments from Waters, the plethora of lawyers on TV saying his lawyer was ineffective. The fact they weren't sequestered...
I think journalist bear some blame as well especially ones that are that experienced. She should know better.
But I've watched a lot of dateline with juror interviews and seems like its OK that they wondered about it as long as they didn't use it against him which would be hard to say after his comment about it being a detriment. I dunno. i would hope he had an attorney advise him before speaking. I know the judge addresses them afterwards but I don't know if he warns them about making specific statements.
Bit the appeal is already in the works.

Jmartjrmd

Now they're saying that black juror lied about going to protests and a rally since a picture of him at what he says,was a get out and vote event is circulating. He's wearing a BLM shirt.

They make me sick with this stuff. How impartial was George Zimmerman's jury? We don't get to appeal his non conviction.

What about Hannah Payne who is still out on bond for killing that older black gentleman after being told not to chase him. Trial nowhere in sight. When do we get to walk around free and work after murdering someone in broad daylight?

uggg so disgusted with our system.

PatDM'T

Chauvin's face
and BS is becoming
as annoying as 45's
used to be when
both were ever
in our face.

The things I wish
on this man and
Trump would have
me sentenced to