Modified Maximum Hydration Challenge 2023

Togolese

Hi there, I can't believe I came back and am surprised I was a member since 2008.:D Beginning this year I felt so nostalgic and wondered, if there are still people out there doing some sort of modified version of the maximum hydration method. If there's an active thread I'm missing, please guide me there. I've been doing it on and off since 2015. I do use commercial shampoos and conditioners, but also use henna, make herbal tea rinses, do clay masks and wear wash and gos. Often I feel lonely because I'm somewhere in the middle of the commercial but also alternative way. It would be so cool to connect with others to see where our hair will get in December 2023 with a similar routine. So how to do it?

Instead of doing this routine every 3 days: Just once a week. Depending on your mood, health, life and work schedule. I wash once to twice a week. If I wash twice, I don't do the clay step. No Cherry Lolas, Baking Soda or Apple Cider Hair washes needed. It's not about low porosity hair only, but leaving your hair as buildup free as possible to enhance your natural curl type.

The Hair Wash:

Week Zero

Clarify

Start with a clarifying shampoo for a fresh beginning. If you live in hard water areas or swim often, use a chelation shampoo. From this point you only clarify once a month, if you hair needs additional clarifying. If you use clay masks regularly with acidic liquids like acv there's maybe no need to do this.
Follow up with a Moisturising conditioner and detangle your hair or Moisturising deep conditioner (30 minutes, longer isn't needed unless instructions say shorter or longer) and detangle after. You can use heat, heat cap or just shower steam.

Week One and future
Cleanse

Alternate every other week between a Regular Shampoo and a Moisturising Shampoo. These shampoos are formulated different. Regular or All Purpose Shampoos give a gentle cleanse without stripping you hair and scalp. Moisturising or Hydration Shampoos contain more conditioning agents, more oils & butters and will provide extra boost. That way you make sure not to over cleanse your hair, but also not to under cleanse your natural hair when you use other styling products.

Condition
Follow up with a regular conditioner and the other week with a moisturising conditioner. You're free to also use deep conditioners. Just see what benefits your hair best & rotate so that you have a balance. Detangle your hair.

Clay Rinse
Have your clay mix ready and apply it in the shower. Since your main goal isn't to cleanse & detox deeply, but just to give your hair a boost of curl formation, frizz reduction & gentle removal of excess oils/butters/emollients your hair don't need (remember: this regimen was made for low porosity hair that creates buildup fast, not for high porosity hair), make sure your clay mask is ph balanced like a conditioner. It should be acidic somewhere between 4.0 and 5.0 and not basic. Your scalp has a ph somewhere 4.5-5.5. Hair strands have a ph of 3.7. Don't rub it in your scalp if you prepare the mask close to the ph of your hair. Just like commercial conditioners aren't made for your scalp. This is why instructions usually say to apply conditioners to the length of your hair.
If you chose to modify the clay mask to your own needs and want to use it before shampoo for extra detox, prepare the mask between 4.5-5.5, so that you can also detox your scalp properly without causing irritation. Diy is fun & easy once you really know what your doing & without basic chemistry knowledge you can mess up your hair. So beware if you want to become a mixtress in the kitchen and make your own hair care products.
Use your favourite clay powders. They have different ph levels, so it's all about finding a balance again.
When mixed with water only: Kaolin clay has a ph around 4.5-6.5 (using acv will make it more acidic, so using water mainly works great). Bentonite clay has a ph around 8-9, so it's basic. So don't skip shampoo to balance your scalp again and follow up with a conditioner to seal your hair, if you only use it with water. Same as when you use strong clarifying/chelating shampoos that are basic & not ph balanced, it's better to apply it on your hair strands only and use a second ph balanced shampoo to lather your scalp. That's why many mix bentonite clay with acv. which gets you a ph somewhere 5 and your scalp is save. The acv also acts as powerful remover of lime buildup. Rhassoul clay has a ph of 7-7.5 when mixed with water only. The drying effect people experience is they usually don't know what they are doing and what they are mixing up. PH knowledge and knowing how hair strands are build (hair shaft: cuticles, cortex, medulla) is important. Even if a commercial clay powder labels says to use water only, test the ph and if the mask is to basic, you better make it ph balanced if you especially use it as the last step of your hair wash.
You can add your favourite acidic liquids like organic aloe vera juice, organic apple cider vinegar, strong brewed hibiscus tea... , Ayurvedic herbs, oils, glycerine, hydrolised extracts, proteins and essential oils (1-2 drops only because the mask doesn't contain enough carrier oils). Make sure to smooth the mask into your entire hair, in the shower best, so there’s no mess. Your hair has to be open for this and not twisted or braided. This will allow your hair strands to clump further into it's natural state. And you will see progress in your hair texture, especially when you've never seen your hair clump. Leave it in at least 5 minutes and rinse good. Your hair should feel buttery soft and over time it will clump further on its own.

The clay step can be modified over time and doesn’t have to be used every time you wash your hair. I would encourage your to at least try it out once a week for 6-12 weeks straight to really observe your hair strands. Brittle hair strands have to be of course cut away, so make sure you're not starting a new routine on hair with lots of knots and splits. Also check out your water levels, you could be living in a very hard water area and using clay could be a more gentle alternative to strong chelating shampoos.

Styling
- Wash & Go Sets are best because you don’t disturb your hair too much and you see the progress in your curls better. Use a botanical (plant based) gel that provides moisture and then a second gel/mousse/lotion/cream on top for final hold, if your curl type needs it. Work in small sections if you own a very tight curl pattern. Have a spray bottle on hand, if your hair dries out too fast. Smooth the gel in those small sections on soaking wet hair to get your clumped further. Wavy hair (almost) turns straight and curly hair turns wavy. It will all shrink back in place, once the drying begins. You've applied enough gel and water once your hair feels very slippery. Kind of like sea weed. Your hands glide through and the surface of your hair doesn't feel rough. Now glaze a small to generous amount in the same smoothing motion of your second styler on top of these sections. Shake your head. If your hair is very long and loose maybe you'll require scrunching.

- Braid and Twists are also fine, but use a styling product with hold if you plan to unravel it for definition and hold.
- If you want to keep them closed mainly, use one humectant rich botanical gel and then seal it further with an oil, whipped butter or something else. The film forming humectants (water is evaporating slowly from your hair through the humectant film) will keep your hair moist, preventing your hair from drying out too fast and the additional layer of oil/butter will slow the rate of moisture loss down. So look out for botanical gels that don't just contain glycerin/honey but aloe vera gel, nettle, agave, sea moss, flex seed gel, marshmallow root, slipery elm, pectin, guar gum, xanthan gum, okra gel and so on. Science-yhairblog.blogspot has a great post about film forming humectants. So check your favourite gels out. The reason Jelloshot and As I Am So Much Moisture Lotion is working so well for me is that it contains okra extract, aloe vera juice, pectin, glycerin, royal jelly, horsetail extract & nettle . So the combo is helping with my moisture & definition levels and if it weren't for detangling & a fresh scalp, I would may be tempted to wash my hair every two weeks...

- Air drying takes forever, so use heat to set your hair in place and dry it.

Evening/Morning
- Cover your hair for the night for ex with satin or silk scarves and bonnets. It reduces friction and helps with minimising breakage.

What to expect
- Over time, your wet hair will require less and less styling products and product layering. The hydration levels from hair cleanses and conditioning steps are giving your hair all it needs and missed. It's not a process over time, because it takes a few hair washes and stylings to see results, depending on the products you've used in the past and the frequency of your hair washes. Some may call it curl training. I call it to enhance what's been already there but hidden. :D You can call it whatever you want.

NoGOs
- Since this method was originally a modified version of the curly girl method, but for type 4, especially 4c heads, I'll list done what ingredients you should avoid buying when it comes to hair care products. It's just a guideline, you can even be stricter:

- Sulfates, very harsh surfactants. Very stripping, especially curly hair. Can leave scalp and hair entirely dry and brittle.

- Silicones, especially the ones that aren't water soluble don't wash away. Over time they do the same as mineral oils. Dimethicone also fall here.

- Mineral oils, petrolatum, petroleum jelly, hair grease also contains mineral oils. It provides high shine and seals your hair. But over time you create a wall around your hair strands, that won't allow water to get in. It doesn’t wash away with regular or moisturising shampoos. Only strong sulfate free clarifying or sulfate shampoos can do so.

- Synthetic gels like Ecostyler or Wetline. They don't provide moisture and can dry out your hair strands depending on the texture over time. Now here's a tip, if you use a plant based humectant rich gel as your base, your hair is covered and protected. Using tiny amounts of these types of gels on top, shouldn’t be an issue. Also, there's a wide range of in the middle products, plant based combined with synthetic ingredients. So read the back of the ingredient list and decide for yourself, if you want to use that product.

- Parabens. Controversial preservatives.
- Formaldehyde are also preservatives. Claims there it's a carcinogen.

- PVP/Copolymer brings the holding factor, I have styling products containing it. It's water soluble, but can be drying over time. Once I find good alternatives I will maybe switch.

- Alcohols with a "prop" like Isopropyl alcohol or propanol. It can strip and dry hair out.

- As much as natural is key and I truly believe that's why this method was so popular back in the day. I stumbled on it in 2014, which lead me to big chop a second time in 2015, where I started using botanical gels. Something I wasn't aware of before. :afro:

Last edited:

GGsKin

Togolese

Super cool! :hiya:I'll join you there too! There’s also a thread about weekly clay washes which I would love to join too. I wasn't sure and scared if I would be welcomed in the Wash and Go thread because many are following the 30 Day Hair Detox routine where it is advised to leave all the alternative, clay & Ayurvedic stuff behind, which I'm not a fan of and haven’t understood until today why henna should be damaging. What's your experience with K18? Is it more than Olaplex treatments or beyond?

Togolese

As promised here are some phone pics. :spinning:This was my hair right after the second big chop in 2015 when I started with the maximum hydration method. The other pictures are more recent from June 2021 where I used a bit of leave-in and gel on dry/damp hair, after clay rinse in July 2022, March 22 right after henna with a washngo and washngo Sep 2022. It may look like I have some sort of very loose pattern, but it's just my phone. Many hair strands when defined entirely, have the curl size of needles. So smaller than pen springs. After clay rinses, I get the most stretch and clumping. After shampoo I get the most definition & spring factor. It coils up into spirals.
Max Hyd Method LHCF.jpg

Max Hyd Method LHCF 2.jpg

Dare~to~Dream

Lot of great information in the first post. I want to experiment with wash n gos again as the last time I experimented was in 2019. I'm not a fan of using gels on my hair for wash n go styles but I like curl creams. And I've been tried a few hair mousses for bantu knots; I'm curious to see how they'd work for a wash n go on my hair. I am going to look more into botanical gels though because maybe it's the old school/plastic gels that my hair doesn't like. As of right now, I only really know of the Uncle Funky's daughter gel for a commercial hair styling product and flaxseed gel for a DIY version of one.

GGsKin

Super cool! :hiya:I'll join you there too! There’s also a thread about weekly clay washes which I would love to join too. I wasn't sure and scared if I would be welcomed in the Wash and Go thread because many are following the 30 Day Hair Detox routine where it is advised to leave all the alternative, clay & Ayurvedic stuff behind, which I'm not a fan of and haven’t understood until today why henna should be damaging. What's your experience with K18? Is it more than Olaplex treatments or beyond?
Everyone is welcomed:). Yes, I think @snoop may have started that thread. She also regularly uses clay mixes and other Ayurvedic ingredients and is excellent at sharing her experience. Although many follow(ed) blackgirlcurls and got on the detox, I think most of our routines and ingredient requirements for our products are the same or similar- basically we do our own thing but still follow the same principles.

I say mostly good things about the Olaplex products I've used (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5-meh for me, 6, and the 4-in-1 moisture mask). I also like the K18 leave-in. Since I inflicted heat damage on my hair last year, using these have given my hair some reinforcement. I can't measure but I've possibly suffered less breakage than I might have without these products. I've used Olaplex much longer than K18. They work similarly but on different parts of the inner hair strand so I look at the combination as a plus lol. My coils weren't totally restored but people do not find it noticeable (even though I do lol)

I'm intrigued about your findings on henna. Are you saying you don't find it damaging, or you only realised today that it could be?

Togolese

Everyone is welcomed:). Yes, I think @snoop may have started that thread. She also regularly uses clay mixes and other Ayurvedic ingredients and is excellent at sharing her experience. Although many follow(ed) blackgirlcurls and got on the detox, I think most of our routines and ingredient requirements for our products are the same or similar- basically we do our own thing but still follow the same principles.

I say mostly good things about the Olaplex products I've used (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5-meh for me, 6, and the 4-in-1 moisture mask). I also like the K18 leave-in. Since I inflicted heat damage on my hair last year, using these have given my hair some reinforcement. I can't measure but I've possibly suffered less breakage than I might have without these products. I've used Olaplex much longer than K18. They work similarly but on different parts of the inner hair strand so I look at the combination as a plus lol. My coils weren't totally restored but people do not find it noticeable (even though I do lol)

I'm intrigued about your findings on henna. Are you saying you don't find it damaging, or you only realised today that it could be?
:rose:Thank you for sharing, wow you've almost used the entire Olaplex system. So you weren't required (or forced) to cut your heat damaged hair away right? I've seen so many naturals getting their hair cut away, making it almost another big chop, but in the name of heat or "diy" damage. Is it really required when there're systems like Olaplex and K18? I've used Olaplex No. 0 + 3 and will only stick to 3 about once a month or so.

You're so right about the same and similar routines and that's the thing, not many have seen through the lens like you. I've seen so many condemning raw oils & butters without realising their hair never went through regular cleansing and clarifying sessions. The same way others don't realise that people have different hair textures, not everyone owns hair that absorbs creams like a silky texture does to show curls, especially the tight cotton textured curly heads see the best curl clumping with water based, humectant rich gels/custards.

About the henna my opinion has not changed. It does not build walls around hair making it water resistant. It does not prevent curl clumping and can not change your curl pattern unless it's damaged. My hair is weighted down, clumps and curls like clay masks when I do it. Many henna their hair in African and Asian countries. If it damages hair, we're talking about millions of people walking around with damaged hair. Here in Germany, you can even buy commercial formulated henna shampoos in the stores along the dyes, so I really don't get it. The only way I can think of henna damage is when it's mixed up with several liquids that are stripping and drying out the hair strands like strong brewed green and black teas or acidic juices. The best and safe way is to mix organic chemical free henna with water only and or with other herbal powders. A ph of 5-5.5 is perfect.

Togolese

Lot of great information in the first post. I want to experiment with wash n gos again as the last time I experimented was in 2019. I'm not a fan of using gels on my hair for wash n go styles but I like curl creams. And I've been tried a few hair mousses for bantu knots; I'm curious to see how they'd work for a wash n go on my hair. I am going to look more into botanical gels though because maybe it's the old school/plastic gels that my hair doesn't like. As of right now, I only really know of the Uncle Funky's daughter gel for a commercial hair styling product and flaxseed gel for a DIY version of one.
I still haven't been successful with diy flaxseed gels. I've seen so many Youtube tutorials, but in the end, I kind of have the feeling those with silkier hair textures have more success with the hold than we tight curly heads. When I try them out, it doesn't work or I get flakes.

Here are some examples of botanical gels (some are not entirely plant based, but are great stylers): Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Camille Rose Curl Maker, Flora&Curls Curl Defining Gel, As I Am Curling Jelly, As I Am Smoothing Gel, Trepadora Bamboo Ginseng Curling Glaze, Trepadora Papaya Slip Taming Potion, Bouclème Curling Gel, Bouclème Super Hold Styler, Innersense I Create Hold Gel, Innersense I Create Hold Lotion, Ecoslay's Jelloshot (excellent gel but contains Carbomer 980, a non plant based thickener), The Doux Big Poppa Gel (wonderful but contains PVP just like their mousse), Giovanni L.A. Hold Styling gel (also wonderful but contains VP/VA Copolymer, a synthetic film former).

Dare~to~Dream

I still haven't been successful with diy flaxseed gels. I've seen so many Youtube tutorials, but in the end, I kind of have the feeling those with silkier hair textures have more success with the hold than we tight curly heads. When I try them out, it doesn't work or I get flakes.

Here are some examples of botanical gels (some are not entirely plant based, but are great stylers): Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Camille Rose Curl Maker, Flora&Curls Curl Defining Gel, As I Am Curling Jelly, As I Am Smoothing Gel, Trepadora Bamboo Ginseng Curling Glaze, Trepadora Papaya Slip Taming Potion, Bouclème Curling Gel, Bouclème Super Hold Styler, Innersense I Create Hold Gel, Innersense I Create Hold Lotion, Ecoslay's Jelloshot (excellent gel but contains Carbomer 980, a non plant based thickener), The Doux Big Poppa Gel (wonderful but contains PVP just like their mousse), Giovanni L.A. Hold Styling gel (also wonderful but contains VP/VA Copolymer, a synthetic film former).
This is a comprehensive list; I'll be sure to check some of these out. Thanks! Now that you've mentioned it, I actually have tried the Kinky Curly Curling Custard (along with the leave in) a long time ago and I didn't like results so I never tried it again. It could have been my technique though. When I tried the different curl creams almost 4 years ago now, I had much better results but I also had watched several videos as there weren't many videos on YouTube over a decade ago when I tried the Kinky Curly Curling Custard as well as some other gels/curling products.

I did go on YouTube earlier today and saw some videos of people layering the Innersense(s) gel with the Uncle Funky's Daughter one and the results turned out great. I'm definitely going to look more into the Innersense products.

Last edited:

faithVA

I used to do MHM. It didn't quite work for me but I loved the idea. I still have a ton of clay which I keep saying I'm going to use. But now I'm soooo lazy that I can't get out of the shower fast enough. I may join you in the Spring when it gets warmer. I only wear a wng from Spring to Fall because I air dry most of the time.

But definitely join us in the Wash and Go thread. Yes, some of us follow the A's but it is one of the most welcoming threads in the Hair Forum. You can say that you are washing your hair with bubble gum juice and no one is going to blink an eye :lol:

Togolese

This is a comprehensive list; I'll be sure to check some of these out. Thanks! Now that you've mentioned it, I actually have tried the Kinky Curly Curling Custard (along with the leave in) a long time ago and I didn't like results so I never tried it again. It could have been my technique though. When I tried the different curl creams almost 4 years ago now, I had much better results but I also had watched several videos as there weren't many videos on YouTube over a decade ago when I tried the Kinky Curly Curling Custard as well as some other gels/curling products.

I did go on YouTube earlier today and saw some videos of people layering the Innersense(s) gel with the Uncle Funky's Daughter one and the results turned out great. I'm definitely going to look more into the Innersense products.
I feel like products in general no matter what you use, work best when used over a long period of time. Hair takes some time to respond to products and new routines, so it’s not just techniques. :) I only stop using something when I see horrible dryness or breakage. Uncle Funky's Daughter Curl Stimulater Gel as your base and layering Innersense I Create Hold gel on top is the very popular combination that the 30 Day Hair Detox followers use. This combination is so popular and versatile because it works on all hair textures and curl patterns from type 2 to type 4, from silky to cottony hair. I've seen a lot of white hairstylists online using this combo on other curly heads. UFD provides amazing slip, moisture and also combines well with creams & leave-ins. When you've found the perfect water ratio for your own hair strands and density, it foams up with the ICH and can give tight curls a stretched look, that won't require scrunchies to keep the curls stretched at night. Just like we see other naturals have been doing as their night routine for a heatless stretch.

Yea it used to be so frustrating finding tight curly heads sharing videos online when it comes to defining their hair with gels. :cry3:You would see countless videos up to type 4a and then the air becomes thinner and thinner lol. Kinky Curly Knot Today combined with Kinky Curly Curling Custard works best when it's used with enough water. It can give perfect definition and hold, but the curls will be more shrunken, depending on your hair texture and curl size. So instead of a stretched look, it gives me tiny ringlets, which I can stretch out if I want. When I use KCCC with Innersense ICH gel, it gives me the same stretched out look, because it provides more hold, but with a softer gel cast.

Togolese

I used to do MHM. It didn't quite work for me but I loved the idea. I still have a ton of clay which I keep saying I'm going to use. But now I'm soooo lazy that I can't get out of the shower fast enough. I may join you in the Spring when it gets warmer. I only wear a wng from Spring to Fall because I air dry most of the time.

But definitely join us in the Wash and Go thread. Yes, some of us follow the A's but it is one of the most welcoming threads in the Hair Forum. You can say that you are washing your hair with bubble gum juice and no one is going to blink an eye :lol:
:D:Dhaha you took my entire fear away! I joined last night. But I'll also keep giving weekly updates here and can't wait when you join. :)

Dare~to~Dream

Yea it used to be so frustrating finding tight curly heads sharing videos online when it comes to defining their hair with gels. :cry3:You would see countless videos up to type 4a and then the air becomes thinner and thinner lol. Kinky Curly Knot Today combined with Kinky Curly Curling Custard works best when it's used with enough water. It can give perfect definition and hold, but the curls will be more shrunken, depending on your hair texture and curl size. So instead of a stretched look, it gives me tiny ringlets, which I can stretch out if I want. When I use KCCC with Innersense ICH gel, it gives me the same stretched out look, because it provides more hold, but with a softer gel cast.
This is exactly what it did to my hair...very tiny curls and it seems like it didn't set so if I would have tried to stretch them out then the curls would be gone. I was airdrying at the time though but now I know to utilize a hooded dryer instead.

Togolese

@Togolese WELCOME! I'm glad you're here. Definitely join us in the ayurvedic and clay challenges.

(I still have to go back and read all the posts, but I wanted to say "hi" before going to sleep.) :welcome:
Thank you!! :2inlove: It's so good to be here and I can't wait to play around more with the clay masks. I saw spirulina in the stores today and thought of your hair masks!

GettingKinky

@Togolese welcome back!

What specific benefit do you see from the clay step? I tried MHM - cherry lola and all a few times back in 2019, but it was too much work.

Now my routine is very similar to yours, but I don’t use clay or henna. once I nailed my wash n go routine I never felt the urge to try clay again, but I’m very curious to know what it does for you.

Togolese

@Togolese welcome back!

What specific benefit do you see from the clay step? I tried MHM - cherry lola and all a few times back in 2019, but it was too much work.

Now my routine is very similar to yours, but I don’t use clay or henna. once I nailed my wash n go routine I never felt the urge to try clay again, but I’m very curious to know what it does for you.
The clay step has many functions to me. :)
1. Since I have very tight or the tightest curls, brushing them completely out with conditioner don't bring them entirely back. Even if I would spend time using my fingers to work the conditioner in, it's not the same. Looser type 4 curl types don't really have this issue. Once they detangle their hair with conditioners, no matter how they brush it, the curls seem to jump back into position. My hair doesn't jump back into tiny coils, it stays frizzy wavy with coily spirals at the ends when I do the rinse. Before rinse it becomes an afro because the entire curls are brushed out. Detangling with fingers only could help, but brushes work best for me and I don't want to spend time using my fingers only. I've now eliminated this by detangling my hair before shampoo again, so that I only use my fingers to work the conditioner in, without worrying about shed hairs.

2. The way especially commercial conditioners/deep conditioners are marketed towards type 4 or tight curly hair is often times not best for my tight curls. Many conditioners are formulated heavily with oils & butters, making it often times impossible to promote natural hair clumping with these tiny spirals when you brush detangle. You either have to use less or water it down a lot, but then it won't give me the slip I need to brush detangle. Using very light formulated conditioners or brands that don't focus in heavy formulations work the best. But it won't get my curls in the same position compared to the shampoo rinse. That's why many tight curly heads believe their hair isn't curly. What we see in online videos are more loose curly heads that get instant curl clumping while brushing their hair. We are blessed with combed out hair strands moving in different directions often times. I'm also using deep conditioners. Doing the clay step gently removes the excess of oils/butters out, while getting the hair clumped again. Having hair that stays clumped after the rinse enables me to use less water & styling products, which is the very long term goal for me. A commercial humectant rich gel like conditioner would be the best for me.

3. I also suffer from very hard water. Clay mixed with for ex acv removes that buildup and I don't need to use chelating solutions that often to remove the buildup. I started using Chelating/strong clarifying shampoos like the Olaplex No. 4c not a long time ago, about half a year, and before my hair did well with the simple clay masks. So now it makes me really wonder if I really need these types of shampoo if I don't swim in chlorine water. Shower filters don't really work here because the lime is really strong where I live. It would need a very expensive installation which can't be done in rented apartments. I could buy water filter systems that purify tap water and also removes lime buildup, but this would take lots of preparation and I would need to use buckets and bowls.

Togolese

Here's how my Sunday Hair Wash looked like:

- diy scalp oil massage
- detangle with diy aloe vera gel & glycerin & water spray bottle
- shampoo with Rahua Classic Shampoo twice
- deep condition with Flora&Curl Rose Water & Honey Molasses Moisture Mask, I used heat 15 minutes
- rhassoul clay mask mixed with fo-ti powder. I got inspired by the Yao Women's black hair & their use of this powdered root. I've got one white hair strand in the front. lol if turns black again or if it stays my only white hair and if it's not genetics only, maybe this will be the reason.

Styling with water spray bottle
- As I Am So Much Moisture Hydrating Detangling Lotion as leave-in
- Ecoslay's Jelloshot

snoop

1. Since I have very tight or the tightest curls, brushing them completely out with conditioner don't bring them entirely back. Even if I would spend time using my fingers to work the conditioner in, it's not the same. Looser type 4 curl types don't really have this issue. Once they detangle their hair with conditioners, no matter how they brush it, the curls seem to jump back into position. My hair doesn't jump back into tiny coils, it stays frizzy wavy with coily spirals at the ends when I do the rinse. Before rinse it becomes an afro because the entire curls are brushed out. Detangling with fingers only could help, but brushes work best for me and I don't want to spend time using my fingers only. I've now eliminated this by detangling my hair before shampoo again, so that I only use my fingers to work the conditioner in, without worrying about shed hairs.

2. The way especially commercial conditioners/deep conditioners are marketed towards type 4 or tight curly hair is often times not best for my tight curls. Many conditioners are formulated heavily with oils & butters, making it often times impossible to promote natural hair clumping with these tiny spirals when you brush detangle. You either have to use less or water it down a lot, but then it won't give me the slip I need to brush detangle. Using very light formulated conditioners or brands that don't focus in heavy formulations work the best. But it won't get my curls in the same position compared to the shampoo rinse. That's why many tight curly heads believe their hair isn't curly. What we see in online videos are more loose curly heads that get instant curl clumping while brushing their hair. We are blessed with combed out hair strands moving in different directions often times. I'm also using deep conditioners. Doing the clay step gently removes the excess of oils/butters out, while getting the hair clumped again. Having hair that stays clumped after the rinse enables me to use less water & styling products, which is the very long term goal for me. A commercial humectant rich gel like conditioner would be the best for me.

3. I also suffer from very hard water. Clay mixed with for ex acv removes that buildup and I don't need to use chelating solutions that often to remove the buildup. I started using Chelating/strong clarifying shampoos like the Olaplex No. 4c not a long time ago, about half a year, and before my hair did well with the simple clay masks. So now it makes me really wonder if I really need these types of shampoo if I don't swim in chlorine water. Shower filters don't really work here because the lime is really strong where I live. It would need a very expensive installation which can't be done in rented apartments. I could buy water filter systems that purify tap water and also removes lime buildup, but this would take lots of preparation and I would need to use buckets and bowls.

If the two ladies had explained it this way from day one I might have tried dropping the oils just to experiment.

I want to start to experiment with my water/water pH/types of water (tap vs distilled)/etc. to see what -- if anything -- happens.

Togolese

If the two ladies had explained it this way from day one I might have tried dropping the oils just to experiment.

I want to start to experiment with my water/water pH/types of water (tap vs distilled)/etc. to see what -- if anything -- happens.
Can't wait for the experiment! Not many are questioning conditioners, curling creams, moisturising lotions, grease, oils/butters. They all just say it creates buildup and that's it. You're not allowed to question the how and why. Say something and you'll be stigmatized because you're not a professional. It's so strange to me why we're not being able to get the level of definition other curl types get. Why doesn’t it clump back. Why do shampoos clump hair and why can't the coils stay after brushing and rinsing conditioner out. Would be very interesting to know how cosmetic scientists formulate these products and if they also take our hair strands into account. Because I bet no. It would be so unsatisfying to me when all curl types are having a curl revive brushing conditioners through hair and then comes 4b/c hair and it just stays brushed out. I always say hair care is not a hair type thing, but when it comes to conditioners and cream based products I seem to catch myself, because they mostly work different on tight curls.. :drunk:

GettingKinky

Can't wait for the experiment! Not many are questioning conditioners, curling creams, moisturising lotions, grease, oils/butters. They all just say it creates buildup and that's it. You're not allowed to question the how and why. Say something and you'll be stigmatized because you're not a professional. It's so strange to me why we're not being able to get the level of definition other curl types get. Why doesn’t it clump back. Why do shampoos clump hair and why can't the coils stay after brushing and rinsing conditioner out. Would be very interesting to know how cosmetic scientists formulate these products and if they also take our hair strands into account. Because I bet no. It would be so unsatisfying to me when all curl types are having a curl revive brushing conditioners through hair and then comes 4b/c hair and it just stays brushed out. I always say hair care is not a hair type thing, but when it comes to conditioners and cream based products I seem to catch myself, because they mostly work different on tight curls.. :drunk:
I’ve never experienced my curls not clumping when I brush them with conditioner, but that would for sure frustrate me. This is definitely something BGC should address, but I can totally picture them dismissively saying “you’re doing it wrong, you need to partner with a professional”. They are really condescending when you try to question them or their methods.

Togolese

I’ve never experienced my curls not clumping when I brush them with conditioner, but that would for sure frustrate me. This is definitely something BGC should address, but I can totally picture them dismissively saying “you’re doing it wrong, you need to partner with a professional”. They are really condescending when you try to question them or their methods.
I think they/others will just say we need to focus on well formulated high quality products. I'm sure you've heard this slogan a lot. :D AG and Innersense are definitely on a different level. I can't talk for AG because I can't buy it here and there are a few more clean beauty brands out there, but I see a few asking this brushed out issue. And I often just read they have to work, smooth the conditioner with the fingers more after detangling. But it's simply not the same. I'm sure many are afraid to ask this question too and just watch what others are doing silently and just accept they can bring those curls/waves back with styling products under running water.

faithVA

My hair sounds a lot like yours. My hair is curliest after the shampoo. As soon as I put conditioner on my hair, whether I brush it or not, those curls start to disappear. But I have found if I water my conditioner down a lot, I can retain some curl. I've seen dickie really water down conditioner, add a lot to hair and then add more water and it works. But that is hard to do on ones own hair.

I will be back to read further when I get a chance.

Togolese

Yesterday’s Sunday Hair Wash:

- diy scalp oil massage
- detangle with brush in the shower with AP Pre-Shampoo on soaking wet, but not completely rinsed hair
- shampoo with Innersense Hydrating Cream Hair Bath twice
- condition with Innersense Hydrating Cream Conditioner
- kaolin + bentonite clay mask mixed with water, acv, Ayurvedic herbs + oils + glycerin.

- Ecoslay's Jelloshot

My hair texture after the hair wash.

MHM 05.02.23 LHCF.jpg

Togolese

- diy scalp oil massage + coconut oil on scalp and a bit on hair (I want to see how much oiling hair before the wash affects our hair strange & my conclusion is the second lather with a regular shampoo washes the oils coating the hair strands washes away)
- detangle with brush & water spray bottle & aloe vera gel + glycerin mix
- shampoo with Rahua Cassic (regular) shampoo twice
- deep condition with Flora&Curl African Citrus Superfruit Radiance Mask
- kaolin + bentonite clay mask mixed with water, acv, fo ti (he shou wu) + glycerin.

- Ecoslay's Jelloshot

1.My old washngo hair after oiled & massaged my scalp,
MMHM 12thfeb23 LHCF2.jpg

2. Dampened with water & aloe vera gel, my coils mostly stretch out into waves,
MMHM 12thfeb23 LHCF.jpg

3. Hair wash completed, my hair line has very fine baby hairs that lay flat after the hair wash. When I style my hair these hair strands stay in position when I use gels and cover my hair in the evening. I don't lay them down with brushes.
MMHM 12thfeb23 LHCF3.jpg

faithVA

- diy scalp oil massage + coconut oil on scalp and a bit on hair (I want to see how much oiling hair before the wash affects our hair strange & my conclusion is the second lather with a regular shampoo washes the oils coating the hair strands washes away)
- detangle with brush & water spray bottle & aloe vera gel + glycerin mix
- shampoo with Rahua Cassic (regular) shampoo twice
- deep condition with Flora&Curl African Citrus Superfruit Radiance Mask
- kaolin + bentonite clay mask mixed with water, acv, fo ti (he shou wu) + glycerin.

- Ecoslay's Jelloshot

1.My old washngo hair after oiled & massaged my scalp,
View attachment 487175

2. Dampened with water & aloe vera gel, my coils mostly stretch out into waves,
View attachment 487177

3. Hair wash completed, my hair line has very fine baby hairs that lay flat after the hair wash. When I style my hair these hair strands stay in position when I use gels and cover my hair in the evening. I don't lay them down with brushes.
View attachment 487179
Very nice. How did you style your hair after the cleanse?

Togolese

Very nice. How did you style your hair after the cleanse?
Thank you. Washngo set. I used As I Am So Much Moisture Hydrating Detangling Lotion as my leave-in, it contains a good amount of film forming humectants which keeps my hair moisturised. Applied it on damp/wet hair. And then used Ecoslay's Jelloshot on top for definition and hold. I usually style my hair outside the shower and use a water spray bottle to wet it again as needed.