moisture/protein

bless57

Hi Ladies, I have been really off on my moisture/ protein balance. I have been doing more moisture than protein and my hair can definitely tell. Can you ladies share with me how you do your moisture/protein balance. My hair is fine and thin which I know is more excessible to breakage. Please share I would love to hear how you are keeping your healthy and strong.

Esq.2B

I use some sort of light protein every week in addition to a moisturizing DC. Also, every 4 weeks I use Nexxus Emergencee followed by a moisturizing DC. It seems to keep my balance in check.

Vintageglam

I think that is an individual question and also depends on whether your are natural or relaxed. However I also have fine fragile hair and find that my hair can get mushy quite easily hence why co-washing may not be for me (haven't tried it yet tho on a regular basis).

My advice would be to do a mild protein step on a regular basis for about 5 minutes without heat or other boosters and then do your moisture DC step and maybe go for less heavy DC's and cut down your DC'ing time to say just 15 - 30 minutes before your hair starts going mushy again.

Also you might want to look at the moisturisers you are using and how often you are using them and how much you are using.

You could also benefit maybe from a hard protein treatment every 2 months and then maintain with little and often protein to maintain your hairs strength and avoid over doing it.

HTH's

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
try aphogee to min, once a week, that should do the trick..... it works for me, i mix mine with ors replenishing pak and cholesterol. but i DC on dry hair with this, its really really good,

ceebee3

I also have fine hair and I need to use a mild protein at least twice a month and the hardcore aphogee 2 step every 6-8 weeks to keep my hair strong.

I pre-poo with Aphogee 2 minute on dry hair most of the time. If I shampoo first I'll air dry and when the hair is 90% dry I'll add the protein conditioner.

After that I'll rinse, air dry for 10-15 minutes and do a moisturizing deep conditioner for 25 minutes with heat.

I also use Nexxus Emergencee and after my last two times using the Aphogee 2 step I used the nexxus immediately after and my hair felt unbeliveably strong and supple. I'll continue to do this.

This is helping me keep my hair on my head and not on the floor.

Hope that helps.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Normally, I'll use something 'light' weekly. And I follow the directions too.

If it says 1,2,5 minutes, I try to do that (and not 20):look:.

I will use my Medium/Heavier Protein Treatments a week before relaxing. (Or when my Hair Needs it) Prior to neutralizing, I'll use a medium reconstructive treatment.

A week after relaxing, I follow up again with something Light/Medium.

I always do a Moisturizing Treatment regardless...after every application of a protein treatment and/or a reconstructor.:yep:

A Good Balancing Product will also help you keep things straight. I like AO GPB. Ion Effective Care is another good balancer.

I know Giovanni also has one. And there are 'others' Giving you that balance of Protein & Moisture.

Lola Laughs

What I do depends on what my hair needs at the time. If my hair needs more moisture, I'll add an avocado to my oil treatment before wash. If I need protein, I'll add an egg instead.

MizzCoco

I agree with everyone who said to get some form of protein at every wash. I use Joico reconstructor every week for 5 mins with out heat, and follow up with a moisturizing DC for about 15-20 mins. I also use the leave in keratin spray by Aphogee or Joico's leave in liquid reconstructor, depending on how soft my hair is after rinsing the DC out. Doing hardcore protein tx are not for me, because it takes too long to get my hair moisturized again

bless57

thank you so much ladies I think I will try the protein treatment every other week and moisture the other two and see how that goes. I will also do a heavy protein with my henna every 4 to 5 weeks.

Esq.2B

thank you so much ladies I think I will try the protein treatment every other week and moisture the other two and see how that goes. I will also do a heavy protein with my henna every 4 to 5 weeks.

Don't forget to follow up with moisture on the days that you use protein.

Esq.2B

Oh I also what to say, do you moisture/seal daily or every other day.

I never seal. I moisturize as needed. Sometimes it's never, sometimes it might be daily or every day, just depending on how my hair/ends feels. Usually it depends on the weather.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

No. No.:nono:

I would advise, after your Henna, please go heavy on the Moisture.:yep:

blackpearl81

I do Aphogee 2min each week and DC with Lustrasilk Cholesterol w/Shea Butter and Mango afterwards. I then use a moisturizing leave in and water based moisturizer until the next wash.

west214

Ok, I'm new to the protein thing. I just bought one by fekkai (For $65!!) and it says to leave in overnight. Is that good?

bimtheduck

I thought I had it in check. Was using ORS replenishing pak, then I was using aphogee 2 min followed by a moisturizing DC every week. Those were both working great. I switched to Joico k pak and around april I started experiencing breakage and now I can't figure it out. Gonna keep a hair journal and see if that helps me keep track of what works and what doesn't work for my hair

AlliCat

I just go by the feel of my hair.
if it's mushy and limp -- use a protein DC.
if it's dry and brittle -- use a moisturizing DC.

bimtheduck

I read one of sistaslicks articles recently that said something to the effect of overly moisturized hair sometimes behaving like hair that is in protein overload. It said a lot ladies can suffer from this bc they are so afraid of protein overload.
I'm still unsure of what mushy hair feels like.

4evershika

Like the other ladies, I try to keep a light-medium protein in my regimen... personally I use ORS Replenishing Conditioner (a light protein) every week and every other week I'll add some Joico Reconstructer... By sticking to my regimen really closely, I can avoid throwing the moisture and protein out of balance.

suburbanbushbabe

Every conditioner I use has a great moisture/protein balance. My deep treatment has 5 proteins, yet is incredibly moisturizing and detangling (Mop Top Deep Conditioner). I found when I used specific protein treatments or reconstructors, I ran into problems with protein overload.

ZkittyKurls

can you mix a protein with a moisture conditioner for a dc, while in a protective style like in a weave? or should you only stick to moisturizing products until after the install is removed?

teacherjess

I read one of sistaslicks articles recently that said something to the effect of overly moisturized hair sometimes behaving like hair that is in protein overload. It said a lot ladies can suffer from this bc they are so afraid of protein overload.
I'm still unsure of what mushy hair feels like.

My head does this. I noticed a few weeks ago that my hair ends kept feeling dry & brittle and were breaking. Each time I stepped up the moisture it got worse. I was so confused. Then, I assessed my routine and realized I haven't used any protein in several weeks. After a few washes of incorporating the apHogee 2 min. conditioner into my weekly wash routine, my hair became normal again. I use it weekly now and my ends are strong, soft, and hold moisture a lot better:yep: