moisture vs lubrication

newflowers

I recently read a thread that mentioned these ideas and would like more information. The poster was discussing the need for a moisturizing product that should be applied before oils which do not moisiturize.

I've ead so much about using various types of oils for mositure and sealing moisture, I think I am confused.

Thoughts, opinions please.

Bumping because I'm still looking for clarity to make sure I understand the moisture and oil procedures I should follow.

I'll try to answer based on what I know but I may need some correcting or add-ons.

A moisturizer has water in the first few ingredients and usually has no oil or a very small amount of oil. Because of this, the moisturizer easily absorbs into the hair shaft. However, it can also evaporate just as easy. That's why we add an oil to seal the moisture in. Most oils don't absorb into the hair shaft but they coat the hair, prohibiting the moisture from evaporating. Some moisturizers contain enough oils, and some oils can actually absorb into the hair shaft. But most of us have found that using one without the other will eventually lead to dry hair. As always, go with what works for your hair.

texasqt said:
I'll try to answer based on what I know but I may need some correcting or add-ons.

A moisturizer has water in the first few ingredients and usually has no oil or a very small amount of oil. Because of this, the moisturizer easily absorbs into the hair shaft. However, it can also evaporate just as easy. That's why we add an oil to seal the moisture in. Most oils don't absorb into the hair shaft but they coat the hair, prohibiting the moisture from evaporating. Some moisturizers contain enough oils, and some oils can actually absorb into the hair shaft. But most of us have found that using one without the other will eventually lead to dry hair. As always, go with what works for your hair.

That is the understanding that I have also. Before I joined this forum, I used to think olive oil was moisturizing my hair. I couldn’t figure out why my hair was oily and dry (i.e. trashy, brittle) at the same time. Once I started using B&B oil moisturizer (water is the first ingredient), it was like I had a whole new head of hair-before then my hair was dying of thirst! I did not seal the moisture in with oil at first, as some here do, b/c the product claims to seal in moisture, I guess b/c it contains castor oil. I’m experimenting with some Softee Indian hemp now to seal the moisture in, concentrating on the ends. I think I will stick with it. HTH :)

Thank you ladies. So do you shampoo, use a moisturizing conditioner, rinse, apply leave-in, and seal with oil?

newflowers said:
Thank you ladies. So do you shampoo, use a moisturizing conditioner, rinse, apply leave-in, and seal with oil?

Yes, this is what I do to my hair. I use several different type of leave ins, but my main oils are Kemi Oyl and Proclaim Natural 7 Oil.

Back