moisture vs. protein balance .....affects SHEDDING?

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

FOOD FOR THOUGHT QUESTION:look::grin:

I was actually just reading several on a few different forums, and ALL (various posters) offered these principles as the cause & remedies as the solutions for shedding :yep:

so I thought pose the question.....:yawn:

1- How does excess moisture
(over-moisturized hair)
INCREASE shedding?

2- How does protein
(protein treatments, etc.)
help to STOP shedding?​

3- HOW does garlic shampoos, tea rinses, coffee rinse, garlic conditioners, etc. (external treatments) help reduce or STOP shedding?​

most common threads statement to speak of: "I was having too much shedding so I did a protein treatment"

Last edited:

MilkChocolateOne

I have an unpopular opinion. Neither protein nor moisture have an effect on shedding. I don't understand how a topical treatment for strands of hair can stop hair fall from the scalp. I think abnormal shedding is caused by internal factors (health issues), scalp conditions (dandruff, psoriasis, etc..), or scalp irritation/trauma (scratching, burns, reactions to topical products). Shedding is a normal process so there is no way to stop it.

EllePixie

I also agree with MilkChocolateOne. I don't see how moisture/protein balance would affect shedding, as shedding isn't going to have anything to do with what you put on the length of your hair. I can see how sulfur or MT could possibly increase shedding if they are truly speeding up your growth rate (and your hair would therefore reach the end of the telogen phase quicker), but moisture/protein balance IMO has more to do with breakage, not shedding. It could be that people are mistaking broken hairs for shed hairs if the hair is longer and breaking off by the scalp.

maxineshaw

I have an unpopular opinion. Neither protein nor moisture have an effect on shedding. I don't understand how a topical treatment for strands of hair can stop hair fall from the scalp. I think abnormal shedding is caused by internal factors (health issues), scalp conditions (dandruff, psoriasis, etc..), or scalp irritation/trauma (scratching, burns, reactions to topical products). Shedding is a normal process so there is no way to stop it.

I don't see why that's an unpopular opinion. It just seems like common sense to me.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
OT: @MilkChocolateOne @Nonie and @EllePixie....how/why is garlic marketed to help slow down shedding? I've used garlic before to help (not totally stop because it can't be stopped entirely as mentioned) my shedding and I think it worked. I don't think it was the placebo effect. :rolleyes: ETA: I agree that shedding is not impacted by protein and moisture.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Like some other posters have stated.

Moisture and/or Protein do not affect shedding in ANY way. I wish people would do just a bit more reserach before posting in someones thread. I know they want to be helpful; and yes this is what we need help. However, giving out information that is not helpful is just that not helpful.

Now garlic on the other hand does help with ABNORMAL shedding, why; well it not so many words it tightens the follicle and it kills bacteria on the scalp.

Now when taken internally it can take upwards of 6 weeks to start working.

This leads us to topical application and how soon does it work. It can start as soon as day 1; this is why Alter Egos Garlic Mask is so popular.

There are other ingredients in the mask/conditioner that work in conjunction with garlic that start the speedy process of decreasing/stopping ABNORMAL shedding. I am in the process of getting my thoughs together and will discuss this in a different thread so it is easily accessible.

Last edited:

EllePixie

Myjourney2009, I agree - I am always reluctant to say that something did something to my hair unless there is scientific evidence to back it up, because there are a number of confounding variables that may also come into play that I can't monitor concretely, like my diet, exercise, intake of toxins, stress, etc.

I have seen people say that Aphogee CAUSED their shedding, so there's really nothing to back up protein stopping shedding, and if this were true, you wouldn't be able to have claims both ways. It wouldn't make any sense.

@divchyk - She's also right about garlic and I agree it would be a good thread. Garlic also helps block DHT, which will help with abnormal shedding. It's also a great source of sulfur and good for your health overall.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
@EllePixie

I think its fine that people mention a product affecting there scalp.

I dont feel it was the protein but another ingredient. I have mentioned a few other times to do a patch test but folks want a quick fix, which I get because abnormal shedding can be stressful.

I've gad two similar products affect my scalp but not he same way each time. I tend to not mention it unless a similar product with similar ingredients affected my scalp the same way. I used Creme of Nature porosity control on and it made my head itch so bad I thought I was being cut by a million little knives and I had the worlds worst headache. I woke up in the middle of the night so nauseaus I almost upchucked. I wound up having to wash my hair at 2am in the morning. When I went over the ingredients I realized one of the ingredients (Mica) was the culprit.

Fast forward a few months later I tried a product by Vitale that is similar and what happened; I shedded like it was molting season.

The two products similar in what they were supposed to do affected my scalp differently I can say that my scalps PH was thrown off by this product.

I dont feel the need to back it up with anything else becaue I know my head. It is very sensitive which I am thankful for other wise I would be a product junkie.

Give me a few more days and I will have the thread up I will tag you when I do.

@Myjourney2009, I agree - I am always reluctant to say that something did something to my hair unless there is scientific evidence to back it up, because there are a number of confounding variables that may also come into play that I can't monitor concretely, like my diet, exercise, intake of toxins, stress, etc.

I have seen people say that Aphogee CAUSED their shedding, so there's really nothing to back up protein stopping shedding, and if this were true, you wouldn't be able to have claims both ways. It wouldn't make any sense.

@divchyk - She's also right about garlic and I agree it would be a good thread. Garlic also helps block DHT, which will help with abnormal shedding. It's also a great source of sulfur and good for your health overall.

Last edited:

ajargon02

EXACTLY! I think that a lot of time people are confusing shedding ( white bulb attached to root ) with breakage ( just that, broken hair strands with no root bulb ) when they are talking about protein/moisture balance and the effects that it can have on the hair when it's not in balance :D JMHO

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
ajargon02, sometimes those little bulbs are sooo tiny. I use a magnifier if I'm really trying to assess my hair. :blush: What are those bulbs that are very dark (look black). Are those shedding or breakage? I agree that being balanced is very important.

@Myjourney2009 - I love AE Garlic. My shedding was better after 1 use; this was used about 2 weeks post TU.

@Myjourney2009 and @EllePixie - why does one hair shed more after a TU?

And EllePixie, what's DHT?

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
divachyk

My thoughts are because there were shed hair that were not removed during detangling the days prior to doing the TU. A person is losing what is right for their head; I would not consider this abnormal shedding.

@ajargon02, sometimes those little bulbs are sooo tiny. I use a magnifier if I'm really trying to assess my hair. :blush: What are those bulbs that are very dark (look black). Are those shedding or breakage? I agree that being balanced is very important.

@Myjourney2009 - I love AE Garlic. My shedding was better after 1 use; this was used about 2 weeks post TU.

@Myjourney2009 and @EllePixie - why does one hair shed more after a TU?

And @EllePixie, what's DHT?

EllePixie

Myjourney2009 I think it's fine as long as they relay it as a personal experience, but I've seen a lot of a = b and b=c type claims...of course we all know our own hair, but I think it's a bit misleading to tell everyone that something will have a certain result just because it happened to us. That would be like me telling the board that mineral oil will mess your hair up (because it messes MY hair up), yet many people like it.

divachyk DHT is a male hormone (women have it too) that can attack hair follicles and keep them from growing. That's why a lot of hair loss "cures" contain DHT blockers.

DHT is the natural metabolite of the human body that is the main reason for hair loss.

The most important structure of a hair follicle is the dermal papilla, which is responsible for hair growth. The cell of this dermal papilla divides and differentiates to form a new hair follicle. As this dermal papilla lies in direct contact with blood capillaries of the skin, it is responsible for deriving nutrients for hair follicle growth. This dermal papilla has many receptors for androgens; where men have more androgenic receptors here than women.

It is very important for a person to have proper nutrition to maintain hair. So when DHT reaches the hair follicles and dermal papilla, it tends to prevent proteins, vitamins and minerals from providing the needed nourishment to sustain life in the hair of these follicles. With this, the hair follicles tend to reproduce at a slower rate and this in turn either shortens the growing phase of the hair follicles or lengthens its resting stage.

DHT is also responsible for shrinking hair follicle with which the hair follicle gets smaller and finer. This is referred to as miniaturization with which the hair ultimately falls off. This is how DHT is responsible for about 95% of hair loss. The men or women who lose more hair are those who are genetically pre-disposed in producing more DHT than others.

In addition to all this, DHT tends to create a wax like substance around the hair roots and it is this accumulation of DHT in the hair follicles and roots that gives rise to male and female pattern hair loss. There is a type of treatment that blocks the synthesis of DHT at molecular level to cure both male pattern and female pattern hair loss. This is done by using one of the many natural DHT blockers and drugs that are used for medical hair restoration.

theLovelyStyle

A clarified scalp kept my hair from excessive shedding. I JUST found that out over the past two weeks. I wasted time (and HAIR) with black tea rinses and garlic pills.

bravenewgirl87

By product buildup and upsetting pH.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
A clarified scalp kept my hair from excessive shedding. I JUST found that out over the past two weeks. I wasted time (and HAIR) with black tea rinses and garlic pills.

YUP this is why I cant go longer than 10 days without washing my hair. I will also wash my hair after 3 days (non consective) of exercising. I dont clarify my scalp always just use my regular shampoo.