Moisturized vs. Greasy

InJesusName

Hi ladies!

I am very confused. It seems that lately I leave fingerprints everywhere due to all the "moisture" in my hair. I am new to this board, and while I recognize the need for moisture, my hair seems weighted down with each product I use. Here are all the products (yes I am a PJ) that have NOT worked for me...

WGO--slicked my hair down and made it heavy
BB oil moisturizer -- lighter but felt greasy
S curl-- felt greasy

I have some Verifen Complex oil for the hair as well as some Kera care glossifier lying around. I am thinking about trying those. Any suggestions?

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
InJesusName said:
Hi ladies!

I am very confused. It seems that lately I leave fingerprints everywhere due to all the "moisture" in my hair. I am new to this board, and while I recognize the need for moisture, my hair seems weighted down with each product I use. Here are all the products (yes I am a PJ) that have NOT worked for me...

WGO--slicked my hair down and made it heavy
BB oil moisturizer -- lighter but felt greasy
S curl-- felt greasy

I have some Verifen Complex oil for the hair as well as some Kera care glossifier lying around. I am thinking about trying those. Any suggestions?

The WGO is nothing but oils (good oils), but too much of that will defiinitely make your hair greasy and weighed down. The BB Oil Mosturizer may be too heavy for your hair; the version you have may contain mineral oil/parrafin. The BB Oil Moisturizer also has castor oil. Castor oil is a good oil, but it can be quite heavy at the same time. The S-curl, I never experienced that being greasy, only sticky. Some of these products you mentioned don't weigh down other people's hair, but like the saying goes, "different strokes for different folks." I know for a fact that the WGO, BB Oil Moisturizer, and KeraCare Glossfier would make my hair too greasy and weigh it down. So, if you want your hair to be light and full of swing, then minimize the products you use that contain tons of oils because those will definitely weigh your hair down if not used in moderation. Some oils are actually light enough to let your hair still have some "swing" to it; I believe that those oils are Jojoba and Sweet Almond Oil (there might be others too). A moisturizer that I use that I like is Oyin's Whipped Pudding. It gives my hair moisture without making it feel greasy or weighed down. HTH.

LadyJay114

WGO is great, but not too much.

I usually put it in a night or two b4 shampoo day.

a less greasy & less smelly oil formula is Parnevu T Tree oil.

WGO--slicked my hair down and made it heavy - I use this in my deep condish or right after I shampoo but before I rollerset. I can't use too much of this either. I do recommend the Keracare, it doesn't weigh the hair down too much. You can also try the Keracare Essential oils

CurliDiva

It sounds like you're using too much product --try to a clarfying shampoo to remove the oily buildup. Also, as your hair gets healthier, maybe you need less "intense" products.

Learning the important of MOISTURE for my hair is one of my best personal lessons learned. Black women have been caking their scalp and hair some type of "grease" for generartions -- without most being happy with the condition of their hair. I don't use anything that is solid/hard on my hair anymore, only liquid or creamy consistency.

My favorites are:
  • Hollywood od ORS Carrot Creme
  • Come Back Hair Creme
  • Surge 14 (watery leave-in spray)
  • Scurl (great creamy leave-in spray, but will build up on your hair)
Good luck, CD ;)

LovelyZ

I used WGO oil on my hair one morning and wore a white shirt. That night when I took off the shirt, it had disgusting yellow tinge where my hair rubs against the back of the shirt. Since then, I started putting the WGO on at night so it has time to absorb. I haven't had the problem anymore.