Moisturizing AFTER Henna?

gn1g

What do you use to restore moisture to your strands after Henna? I apply a handful of every moisturizing conditioner I own aussie 3 min, HE hello hydration, kendra MC etc and about 3 days later my hair is dry as a bone. I also use NTM leave in.

I really need the benefits of henna the color, thickness and strenghtening, however it leaves my hair extremely dry in fact so dry that I am considering discontinuing using it. Such a conundrum. Any tips?

Last edited:
I use cassia, which I guess is very similar to henna. I just DC afterwards with a moisturizing condish mixed with oil. I'll let it sit under a shower cap for 30 minutes or so. That worked for me. My hair was very soft afterward.

I start on Cowashed Hair. I do the 2 Step Process, so I Rinse Out both Henna & Indigo with Conditioner. Usually VO5 Moisture Milks or Suave Tropical Coconut.:yep:

I then Steam with something uber Moisturizing like KBB Luscious Locs Hair Masque or Komaza Intense Moisture (before it was discontinued).

But I try to DC with a Moisturizing Deep Treatment (Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm) Something specifically designed to replenish moisture.:grin:

Throughout the week, I use a Daily Moisturizer. I've never had a problem with Dryness Afterwards.

I do a hot oil txmnt afterwards with warm EVOO and honey and let it sit for 1-3 hrs (it really gets the grit out plus leaves my hair soft. then...
I do my regular deep conditioner treatment and leave on overnight if possible. works beautifully.

I just did a henna treatment after taking down my sew-in. The back of my hair is dry, feels like straw. The front is fine. I just did a deep conditioning treatment, ORS replenish pak, and left it in overnight. This morning I sprayed my hair with a mixture of aloe vera juice, megatek, water, and KCKT. It feels a bit more moisturized, I will continue to do a DC maybe every three or four days until I feel a difference.

I use rhassoul & amla mixed with aloe vera & oil as a DC after henna. Generally any uber moisturizing treatment WITHOUT protein will work with or without heat.
It also helps to keep your henna mix as simple as possible and try to avoid adding drying ingredients like ACV or lemon juice. Henna + water + oil ...tis all HTH & HHG!

I rinse my henna out with Sauve Humectant Conditioner and then use Silk Elements Mega Silk Moisturing Treatment mixed with extra Olive Oil with and without a steamer. Then cowash 3 days later to combat the dryness.

I always shampoo my hair before applying henna or henna gloss treatment (to make sure it take). I leave it on overnight. Cowash in the morning and apply a conditioner (any mixed with oils and butters) and leave it on my hair for about an hour plus). I then generally style my hair with leave-in, butters, creams, and seal with oils (avoid drying stylers) until my moisture balance is back.

I cowash my hair prior to henna'ing, which definitely helps with the post-henna dryness. Also, I'm sure to thoroughly wash all of the henna out of my hair. I would sometimes underestimate how thick my hair was getting, or how long it really takes to get all out the henna out, so my hair would still be a little dry a few days later because I'd still have a bit of henna left in it :look:

Finally, I've learned the #1 way to knock the dryness out is to do an overnight DC with a super moisturizing, protein-free DC.

HTH

I use rhassoul & amla mixed with aloe vera & oil as a DC after henna. Generally any uber moisturizing treatment WITHOUT protein will work with or without heat.
It also helps to keep your henna mix as simple as possible and try to avoid adding drying ingredients like ACV or lemon juice. Henna + water + oil ...tis all HTH & HHG!

discodumplingSo you can get results w/o lemon juice? Ever since kimmaytube did her ph videos, I was reserved about doing henna b/c of the damaging effects of lemon juice. Really I want to do henna/indigo to hide a few stray grays. But after reading up, I thought the dye wouldn't release w/o something highly acidic.

Do you mind sharing your exact measurements, ingredients, please? TIA...

DC w/protein free condish - under the steamer (or use the steam method under a regular heat dryer) for about 30-45 mins....try mixing the henna with a protein free condish and honey or Qhemet honey oil and coconut milk, which helps to not make the henna so drying. doesn't negatively impact the color uptake at all if that's what your going for....you could also add aloe vera juice if you are concerned at all about the color as that helps to release the dye quicker. i recommend you try this in addition to the DC under a steamer. rinse out your henna with a cheapie condish like Aussie or Tresemme naturals.....consider baggying overnight; and be sure to moisturize with a leave in and seal. this should change the game for you dramatically :yep: HTH

Last edited:
My henna mix: Jamila henna, cocoa powder, Bhringraj Powder, lemon juice. coconut milk, and marshmallow root tea.

I wash and clarify my hair 1st with shampoo, then do a rhassoul or bentonite clay treatment. (clay + marshmallow root tea).
Mix henna and immediately apply to hair. Steam for two hours.

Co-wash it out with either Hairveda's Amala Cream Rinse, SSI's Conditioning rinse, Oyin's Honey Hemp or Bee Mine's Avocado Cream Conditioner.

I always add pumpkin seed oil AND meadowfoam seed oil to either of the following DC's: KBB Hair Mask, Hairveda's Sitrinillah or SSI's Banana brulee. Steam for 1 hour. Yields very moisturized hair.

Style hair with a leave-in, butter and gel (twists). Hair is very moisturized 'til I shampoo it 3 days later.

I henna every 10 days - 2 weeks. Never had problem with dryness using this method.

Been doing this for over a year and the results are always the same (very moisturized hair). I get the color I want and my hair is very strengthened.

I only do light protein treatments maybe twice a year.

I'm natural with very fine, medium density hair.

@nakialovesshoes

I have (currently) SL hair but these measurements worked until I was BSB.

In a Ziploc gallon bag I add:

approx 1/4- 1/2 cup of henna& enough liquid (water or occasionally lefteover coffee) to make a pudding.
I don't measure the water I just add enough to make the mix muddy and creamy. THAT's IT! **1-2 TBLSP of oil** EVOO works best but i've used others.

I leave the bag on the counter overnight or on the warm stovetop for a couple of hrs before checking for dye release. I apply the mud directly from the baggie using gloved hands. If I have any mud left over I freeze it for the next time.

I sit under a steamer DURING my henna treatment. I then follow up with a deep conditioner and 30 more minutes under the steamer. I've found that the henna treatment doesn't take as long and I have no moisture issues when complete.

The key is to use a little olive oil (tsp) in the henna with no lemon or other harsh ingredients. Don't use egg or yogurt ....just water and oil...no essential oils either. Another key is not to leave it in long. People sleeping in it, going on week long vacays and whatnot lol! That's too long. Leave it in 1-2 hours at max. Then use steam therapy (steamer or hot wet towel) with a deep conditioning masque...any of them after application. Oh, and please do not shampoo after henna...you have to allow the color to set and since it's already drying, people are just washing away more natural hair oils. If you follow these suggestions, you should be fine.

@nakialovesshoes

I have (currently) SL hair but these measurements worked until I was BSB.

In a Ziploc gallon bag I add:

approx 1/4- 1/2 cup of henna& enough liquid (water or occasionally lefteover coffee) to make a pudding.
I don't measure the water I just add enough to make the mix muddy and creamy. THAT's IT! **1-2 TBLSP of oil** EVOO works best but i've used others.

I leave the bag on the counter overnight or on the warm stovetop for a couple of hrs before checking for dye release. I apply the mud directly from the baggie using gloved hands. If I have any mud left over I freeze it for the next time.

discodumplingThanks so much for that. Now there's hope for me & henna/indigo. One last question, in your opinion, where's the best place to get a good quality (no chemicals added) henna/indigo?

I just wanted to add that I use aloe vera juice instead of lemon juice with great results. I am eagerly awaiting my Celebration Henna from Mehandi.com for my monthly retouch or full head app.

I make my Godrej Nupur henna mix with just Suave/VO5 conditioner and leave it for no more than 3 hours. It has amla and aloe mixed in and these are very moisturizing. My DC is always Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatments.

nakialovesshoes I get whatever my local grocery store has in stock & I never pay more than $5 for a pack. I'm not picky. I do live in a West/Continental/Caribbean Indian neighbourhood so it's readily available. Mountain Rose Herbs (online) will probably have good quality BAQ henna.

I just wanted to add that I use aloe vera juice instead of lemon juice with great results. I am eagerly awaiting my Celebration Henna from Mehandi.com for my monthly retouch or full head app.

Oooooh excellent idea. :yep: I'm gonna try using aloe vera juice as my liquid next application.

Hi, I have never had a problem with dryness after henna. The ladies gave a ton of great tips-- here are mine.

1. I would suggest staying away from old henna-- anything 3+ years from the date made is considered old for me.

2. I usually only mix water to my henna. The only reason why I use tea is to create a darker color so that when I use the indigo, I get the darkest hair possible.

3. I rinse henna under the flow of water. I immediately use a rinse out conditioner (Suave, VO5, etc) afterwards. Repeat until all the henna residue is gone. I do not use shampoo at all during the henna process.

One of these:Suave ,VO5 coconut, VO5 Strawberry cream conditioner or Giovanni 50/50. Today I'm going to try some of my WEN as a coworker did after her first time natural hair henna; her hair is soft as cotton.

Update: Wen Sweet Almond Mint then raw shea butter for the comb out after my henna is a success-shiny, soft, moisturized hair with beautiful coily ends.

Last edited:
I clarify and then use Suave clarifying conditioner. My very favorite recipe is coconut milk, coconut oil, henna (I use Nupur), and plain yogurt (I'm relaxed and needed to loosen the new growth). I did this Saturday night, overnight because I had a headache and fell asleep. I rinsed and DCed on Sunday morn and 3 days later my hair still feels awesome and looks smooth! It looks like I flatironed, but all I did was blowdry.

I give up on Henna. I have a patch of short hairs in my nape crown. I've tried everything to bring my hair back in balance, ERRGH. From now on I will either use and egg or Nexxus emergency. I don't know what I will use to cover this gray.

I tried it again because the gray was taking over my hairline. I think I found the perfect mix.

1/2 cup henna
1 heaping tablespoon of aloe vera gel
2 tablespoons of babasu oil
1.5 tablesoon of honey
1 packet of silk elements mega moisture

rinsed for 20 minutes covered my hair in HE hello hydration for an hour. Hair is super soft and moisturized with color.

Next wash back to my lovely Nexxus Emergency.

I changed a couple things the last time I henna'd and I ended up with the all of the henna benefits plus perfectly moisturized hair.

1. First I clarified with neutrogena anti-residue.
2. I used Nupur henna mixed with hot water with honey dissolved in it, and a few generous shots of vatika oil.
3. I rinsed the henna with warm water. Then followed by cowashing with suave shea almond until it was mostly out then then did a final cowash with aussie 3 min.
4. Finally I DC with NTM deep recovery hair mask with heat for 20+ mins then left it in for 1-2 hrs.

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

Back