moisturizing and sealing

heyfranz

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie who's been lurking. Hair's my story. I bc'd twice over the past four years and went back to relaxing. My hair didn't seem to really grow as a natural, but of course that was before my daughter introduced me to LHCF. I now know what caused my breakage, but that's for another thread.

Can someone explain moisturizing (with what product) and sealing (i will use castor or evoo) and what i should be using as a leave-in? I started MT and OCT last week and i know that i shouldn't be using anything with protein. I have fine 4a/b relaxed hair and am planning to henna this weekend (with body art quality of course)

Thanks

You will get a lot of answers and there are lots of threads on this. But here's what I do.

I moisturize with a creme based product (Mizani h20 nightime) which has a lot of water in the formula.

I seal with a mixture of coconut/castor oil.

I shampoo every 5 days or so and I use Giovanni Direct Leave-In.

Thanks. Does Mizani have protein? Every moisturizer i have, Sta Sof Fro, Hollywood Carrot Creme, has wheat or soy protein and i don't think i can use these with MT. I would love to try the Mizani.

I moisturize with Mizani Rose H2O and seal with olive oil. It has really helped me retain length. When it's freshly relaxed, I do it only at night. When my hair starts getting extra dry (usually when it's close to relaxer time), I do it morning and night. At night, I wrap with a silk scarf for protection, and I sleep on satin pillowcases.

For leave-in, I use Matrix leave-in spray, primarily because my shampoo and conditioner are also by Matrix (Biolage moisture therapy).

To moisturize, I like NTM Silk-Touch leave in, Kids Organics Shea Butter, and lately I've been using Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream. To seal I use coconut oil. I apply the moisturizer in sections, followed by the oil to seal.

I'm so excited i have an excuse to buy more stuff. I took off work today and tomorrow for because there's no school for my 8 year old and i'm going shopping to buy Mizani H20, Qhemet (i found a place in Brooklyn that sells their products) and NTM. Thanks everyone. Now if i could just find some unrefined coconut oil...

Hi heyfranz!

If you like to buy you are in the right place! Welcome to the board.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm so grateful for this board. Hopefully i can keep my hair on my head this time. I just want to do everything right. I bought cococare coconut oil and it says 100% coconut oil is the only ingredient, but i'm a little wary of that. I think i should be using "unrefined" coconut oil

i moisturize with a water based moisturizer(and i am relaxed and it does not revert my hair) like keracare creme hairdress and hydratherma naturals growth hair lotion and i seal with coconut oil or cocasta oil.

Hi Dapper,

I found this under store locations on Qhemet:

Back to the Land Natural Foods
142 7th Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11215
(718) 768-5654
Open Monday - Sunday from 9am-9pm

Back