Moisturizing Conditioner versus Protein Conditione

MissJ

Hi everyone. How can I tell the difference between a moisturizing conditioner and a protein conditioner? What are some of the characteristics of each?

i'm not really the right person to answer your question but i will tell you what i do and what i know.

most of the time i use a moisturizing conditioner. once a month i use my protein conditioner. i heard that if you use protein conditioners too often it can make your hair dry and brittle. you can never condition enough with a moisturizing conditioner though. it really depends on if your hair needs some strengthening, then i would use a protein conditioner maybe 2-3 times a month. if not then use it once a month.

if i'm wrong please somebody correct me
drunk.gif

nay

I agree with Nay, too much protein if your hair doesnt need it can cause buildup and lead to dryness and breakage.
Some ingredients to look for in protein conditioners are:

Hydrolyzed Wheat protein, hydro. keratin protein, hydro. collagen, hydro. soy (or can be listed as just soy), amino acids (building blocks of protein), hydro. animal protein, gelatin and I THINK placenta is a protein also. (someone correct me if I am wrong)

Everyone's hair responds differently to different types of protein though. I can use products that contain Hydro. keratin protein daily with no problems but products that have hydro. wheat protein (which I have also read is supposed to be a moisturising protein) build up on my hair so quickly and give it a dry, dulling look.

HTH

Oh I forgot
ingredients to look for in a moisturising conditioner are:

Stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol (dont be fooled by the word alcohol, these are fatty alcohols)

Also look for humectants that draw moisture into the hair such as glycerine, propylene gylcol, honey and aloe.

Also Hydrolyzed milk protein is supposed to be a moisturising protein and the only protein that is actually absorbed in the hair shaft and doesnt cause buildup. Cant remember where I read this though. Although some companies claim that the molecular weight of the protein in their conditioners are smaller so that it can be absorbed in to hair shaft.

Hi, MissJ

I try to purchase natural products as much as possible and I usually buy the ones that state 'moisturizing' or 'protein' right on the bottle.

HTH,
AZ

i really really love kerastase masque intense. but since it is soo expensive i can't use it all the time. another conditioner i'm really in love with is St. Ives Fortifying Reconstructor. another one is herbal essences intensive blends, cause it detangles AND it smells soo good.

as for protein conditioner i use motions "Oil Moisturizer Moisture Silk Protein Conditioner". this one is really great cause it doesn't only strengthen your hair but it moisturizes it also. my hair is never dry after i use it, but moisturized and shiny. it's not expensive either.
wink.gif

I am so unobservant! I try to be observant but I don't think I'll ever be as observant as you.
nono.gif
. I don't think I would ever notice how products with certain ingredients react to my hair. VG--you have got your hair down to a science--I guess why your hair is so long girl!!!!!

notworthy.gif

Back