More from Angel Food Ministries

kayte

Affordable Groceries

Your grocery bill is likely not getting any lower, no matter how many sales and coupons you find. A few years ago, my good friend Ethel found Angel Food Ministries, a non-denominational Christian organization working in partnership with local communities in over 30 states to deliver food to participating individuals at phenomenal discounts. Here is what Ethel had to say about the service:

"At AngelFoodMinistries.com, I found several host sites in our area and called the closest one. I was transferred to the Angel Food Ministries Team Leader, Kelly, a lovely young lady.

"They asked no questions, there were no forms to fill out and no qualifications. I did not have to belong to their congregation or demonstrate my need. The only requirement was to pay $30 in advance. This payment could be cash, check or food stamps.

"We waited in anticipation for the pick up day. It was exciting. We had a list of what we would receive, but without seeing items first-hand, you can never really be sure of the quality or quantity.

"We were greeted warmly and offered free doughnuts, coffee and juice in the entryway of the host church. We were led to a good-sized room where our name was checked off a list and a team of efficient volunteers filled our order. The pastor even carried the box to our car.

"Along with our order, we received literature that described Angel Food Ministries, recipes for the month from members of the congregation, a schedule for the year and literature on the congregation. There was no 'hard sell.' Everyone was courteous, kind, welcoming and seemed just plain happy to be there. It was not at all uncomfortable.

"We got all this for $25, though the price has increased to $30:

6 frozen hamburger patties
2 pounds frozen sliced turkey with gravy entrée
4 6-ounce pork chops
3 pounds breaded chicken legs
1 pound chicken nuggets
15 ounce can pork and beans
1 box macaroni and cheese
24 ounces frozen French fries
3 pounds frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
7 ounces Armour Brown and Serve Sausage
1 cheeseburger dinner (a box dinner; just add hamburger)
16 ounces frozen sliced green beans
15 ounce can crushed pineapple
8 ounce package biscuit mix
10 ounce jar peanut butter
1 frozen apple pie
8 ounce package pancake mix

"The retail value of this box of groceries is $42 to $78, depending on the area. The contents of the box varies weekly.

"Before we left we placed our order for the next month. There is no limit on the number of $30 boxes of food a person can order. The people were friendly and gracious; both the effort and cost were painless. It was a wonderful experience."

Everyday Cheapskate

Last edited:

kayte

Highly Favored mentioned that there was already a thread in CF about this ministry last month..so consider this an update or more info.

bliss....
~~K

sunshinelady

What if you don't eat pork, can you switch out?

I love the fact that it isn't just for poor people, so people's pride isn't affected. People in Lexuses and BMWs pull up at the site.

kayte

dual thread...I didn't know of the first one!
Highly Favored shared with me the prior thread..just now :)
I saw it was extensive
hope today's post was of service to those who also did not know before now
or as Que mentioned..those whose church might have an interest in hosting
be blessed all~

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
dual thread...I didn't know of the first one!
Highly Favored shared with me the prior thread..just now :)
I saw it was extensive
hope today's post was of service to those who also did not know before now
or as Que mentioned..those whose church might have an interest in hosting
be blessed all~
God's always 'rings' twice, sometimes more, to make sure no one misses His message/blessings.

I'm glad you started this thread. :yep: I had no idea about the other one either. ;) .

kayte

God's always 'rings' twice, sometimes more, to make sure no one misses His message/blessings.

I had to laugh at loud..at God rings twice...I'm still laughing
gonna borrow that if I may!

I'm glad you started this thread. I had no idea about the other one either. .

I'm very glad I did too and my initial thought was when it came to my attention there was a prior and I learned.... a more extensive thread...I certainly didnt 'to mean double a thread on the same subject! but because the Lord has gifted me with an intuitive spirit.... it was in my mind nonetheless and all along.... that I was still supposed to post this..anyways

I will probly repost or bump up in a few months maybe before Easter/Passover
because I noted on one of my blogs that also listed the info..that were also a couple of people who posted in the blog who also did not know and one signed up! and said she'd pass along the info...lovely! and maybe others noted the information without posting
so it's all good
Thanks sweet Shimmie for this affirmation :)