More length retention braiding or twisting?

With what technique do you get the most length retension?

• In twists

Votes: 47 44.8%
  • In braids (with and without extensions)

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Other (if so please note on thread)

Votes: 8 7.6%

• Total voters

adamson

aesthetically, twists, but in terms of hair health, braids are much better for my hair. Twists have helped me retain up to APL but it seems like after that they have done nothing for my hair...they get messy very quickly for me and I get a lot of SSKs and my hair does not retain moisture very well in them. With braids, I get more moisture retained and fewer SSKs but they look really bad on me. It's strange because Braids using extension hair does nothing for me, but braids with my own hair gets me the most retention...

All of the above. I've started doing natural braids because I've been stuck at APL for a little while. I don't like the way the braids look, though... too thin, even though my hair is really thick :perplexed

luckiestdestiny

It depends on how you do braids. I had my hair braided up for a year and a half and only recently went to weave as a protective style to get to hip. Twists require too much manipulation (repeated). You can braid your hair and leave it alone for several weeks. Braids when done right have never caused me any split ends or knots but that's just my perspective. Of course braids require taking it out slower of course but it can be done.

Ronnieaj

Question ladies: what do you think about braiding first and then twisting the length of the hair? I've been considering this because my hair does well in twists, but I have the same problem with the top of the twists poofing up and thought braiding the top might help? What say you?

Sent from my DROID2 using DROID2

PennyK

I've started wearing my hair in braids (middle of may). I've got them in 4 cornrows and I just moisturize and throw my wig on. The low mani + protection has helped me to retain some length so I'm happy :drunk:

Misseyl

I chopped off my hair late 2009 and started wearing box braids with extension in December 2009. My hair has been growing in nicely with these braids. I've been wearing braids non stop since 2009 and will continue to do so until June of 2012. I miss combing my hair but on the plus side I don't have to do anything to my hair when it's time to go to work or anything. Box braids has been a godsend for me

itsallaboutattitude

Cancer Support in Health
Ronnieaj

When I get my hair braided without extensions this is exactly how i do my hair. I learned a long time ago that i will get split ends if i allow the length of my hair to be braided as well.

It's okay in extensions, but not with it's all mine.

Question ladies: what do you think about braiding first and then twisting the length of the hair? I've been considering this because my hair does well in twists, but I have the same problem with the top of the twists poofing up and thought braiding the top might help? What say you?

Sent from my DROID2 using DROID2

Last edited:

dancinstallion

I voted twists. Hands down for the ease in putting them in and taking them out. I also love the fullness and thickness you get with twists as opposed to braids.

I believe you will retain length with both due to low manipulation.

Successfulmiss

My hair LOVES braids w/o weave because my 4b hair holds moisture better this way(w/o the dirt/lint weave can sometimes collect) and I pick with my twists too much. I wear braids for months and just redo them every so often and add pretty accessories or clips/claws for variety. The best thing for me is washing my braids and dcing them overnite in braids(using the greenhouse effect). It just lasts sooo much longer for me. I wear twist for 7 days, when I can wear braids 2 wks or more :)

Last edited:

dancinstallion

My hair LOVES braids w/o weave because my 4b hair holds moisture better this way(w/o the dirt/lint weave can sometimes collect) and I pick with my twists too much. I wear braids for months and just redo them every so often and add pretty accessories or clips/claws for variety. The best thing for me is washing my braids and dcing them overnite in braids(using the greenhouse effect). It just lasts sooo much longer for me. I wear twist for 7 days, when I can wear braids 2 wks or more :)

Yes that is true, braids do seem to last longer. But twists are so easy to redo so IDK.

Mazza64

I twist my hair with extensions. They can last up to 2 months, are easy to take down and I retain length if I keep up with the moisture. They also look very natural

Royalq

i have a twa and im in that awkward stage of being to short to have a set style but to long to just leave out or it will tangle. I have my hair in a bunch of twist for the last month and i like them. The only down side is having to constantly redo them when I wash. i might consider braiding them and redoing to remove shedhair or when it starts looking messy...