More length retention braiding or twisting?

With what technique do you get the most length retension?

• In twists

Votes: 47 44.8%
  • In braids (with and without extensions)

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Other (if so please note on thread)

Votes: 8 7.6%

• Total voters
Over the past two years, I think I can safely say that my hair retains more length when I braid it, individuals. Or leave it ALONE completely!

However, I am on a personal low manipulation 3 month challenge and I am tired of of the braids. I think they are making my split ends worse and and the process of taking them out takes 2 days! :nono:

I am thinking about twisting my own hair for the last month and really getting into oil rinses consistently.. Does anyone think that will deter my progress?

poetist

Im a fan of braids and twists for length retention, but I know that certain styles can get boring. I think the key is keeping your ends moisturized and finding styles that are versatile. Im not sure if you are natural, but those knots at the end of the hair can cause you to have to trim which means less retention. If you are relaxed, you shouldnt have any problems using your own hair.

youwillrise

i'm going to keep my hair in twists for the rest of this year
and most of next year to see if it helps me retain more length

i always use twists,
but they're usually just sloppy (after wash/rinse) ones
that i just keep in to prevent too much tangling and hide under my scarf

now, i'm starting to do twists that actually look decent
enough to wear out as a style lol.

hopefully it goes well.
i would like to keep the twist sets in for at least 2 weeks at a time.
and in between i'll try to be light with my manipulation
(just moisturizing)

Cichelle

Twists are my choice. For some reason, braids cause problems for me. Twists are easy to put in and easy to take out.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
If they didn't look so anorexic on me I would wear twists for length retention. :perplexed :ohwell: :yep: :rolleyes:

Tamrin

unapologetic
Twists are the best. As a matter of fact. today i did my first ones myself. I got so much length retention from my last set from November

hothair

:yep:Full head weaves! I've been on HYH with them and straightened my hair yesterday :grin: that's all I have to say, I love braids but I don't think I would've been able to wash and DC as much/well with them (BTW I voted "other") I'm now going to use instant weaves to grow out so i can co-wash even more (I cornrowed the back and did a flattwist in front- for ease of blending in case I want to leave my hair down:))

natstar

I think that you would have a similar situation to putting in braids.

How small you make your twists can impact retention. You can make them really small and have to deal with detangling which can cause u to lose hair. If you decide to make them where they aren't micro, it should be better and a little less time consuming to put in and take out than braids.

I will be wearing my hair in twists for the winter and I am hoping to get some growth from this. The key for me is that I will be moisturizing my ends daily. A while back I would wear mid to larger twists for a week, then wash and redo. I got a lot of retention from this. I think if you stick with moisturizing and take your time with detangling, it should lead to length retention.

sareca

I'm not sure about length retention (i guess in the long term), but twists seem more gentle on my hair. :yep:

Mandy4610

If they didn't look so anorexic on me I would wear twists for length retention. :perplexed :ohwell: :yep: :rolleyes:
Agreed:ohwell::perplexed. I just braided my hair without extentions. The braids are definately anorexic looking, I am gonna have to find ways the hide them.

Triple-J

Triple-J
I like both twists and braids for length retention but I voted for twists. I wear twists more because, for me, taking down the twists is less time consuming.

BrownSkin2

I wear twist and braids. I voted twists. They are easier to put in and take out, and gentler on the hair, as Sareca stated. I've been doing twists and braids on my own hair for the last 4 months, and I've been retaining length, and gaining thickness as well.

I think that you would have a similar situation to putting in braids.

How small you make your twists can impact retention. You can make them really small and have to deal with detangling which can cause u to lose hair. If you decide to make them where they aren't micro, it should be better and a little less time consuming to put in and take out than braids.

I will be wearing my hair in twists for the winter and I am hoping to get some growth from this. The key for me is that I will be moisturizing my ends daily. A while back I would wear mid to larger twists for a week, then wash and redo. I got a lot of retention from this. I think if you stick with moisturizing and take your time with detangling, it should lead to length retention.

Thank you for your advice and the details, I think I'm going to retire braiding my own hair for awhile and try twists for the month..

ShaniKeys

I wear twist and braids. I voted twists. They are easier to put in and take out, and gentler on the hair, as Sareca stated. I've been doing twists and braids on my own hair for the last 4 months, and I've been retaining length, and gaining thickness as well.

I think so too

tottzu

I wear both braids and twists. I find that braids are better for retaining my length.

My twists can not withstand washing like my braids can. After washing my hair with twist the base/root of the twist loosens and puffs up big time at the scalp. Whereas, the braids can stand 2 washes and 2 co washes (2 weeks) before I have to replace the braid. When I wash the hair with twist I have to retwist right away 1 week.

I also seem to have less tangling with the braids. I also have more knots after washing with twists than I do with the braiding. I have not noticed that one produces more shedding than the other for me.

I find that my individual braids are easier to maintain than twist and better for my length retention. I vote braids.

kandegirl

I vote braids. My ends are more protected and less damaged when I take down braids. I just took down some kinky twist (will update fotki soon) and I think it damaged my ends some. So unless I to them myself(twists) I will have to stick with braids.

Sweet_Ambrosia

I’ve been wearing more twists than braids lately, but I have to say both, since the amount of length retention is just about equal for me.

It looks like, personally, in braids:

I retain more length but the taking down process I probably damage my ends a lot.

In twists:
(I'm going to try this for a month)
I predict that I will probably retain less than when I was braiding and it will not last aslong as braids do, but the manipulation will be low and I wont be damaging any length that I already have. It will be kind of like a break for my hair.

curlyninjagirl

I voted other.

I would've voted braids, but extensions didn't do a thing for my hair except wreck my edges. I wore two-strand twists almost exclusively for about a year, and retained well. When I switched to braids (no extensions), though, I noticed a significant reduction in SSKs, better moisture retention and no knotting on the ends of my hair. I can also leave braids in twice as long as twists which means less manipulation.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My hair is thriving in twists right now. When I was relaxed, buns helped me retain when stretching,but I had to use ceramides to keep my hair moisturized.

GaiasDaughter24

I said braids but I like both. Twists are easier but they tangle my hair sometimes so I braid my hair most of the time. I do twists when I'm exhausted

Rei

aesthetically, twists, but in terms of hair health, braids are much better for my hair. Twists have helped me retain up to APL but it seems like after that they have done nothing for my hair...they get messy very quickly for me and I get a lot of SSKs and my hair does not retain moisture very well in them. With braids, I get more moisture retained and fewer SSKs but they look really bad on me. It's strange because Braids using extension hair does nothing for me, but braids with my own hair gets me the most retention...