Mother Threatens Bullies In Classroom

dancinstallion

I don't know if race matters. Some children are cruel and vicious no matter what the race. :(

And if your black child is truly a minority is a school full of whites, what makes you think that the bullying would be less traumatic for them than if it was coming from black children?

Bullying is traumatic no matter what. But isn't it worse when it comes from people that look like you or your family? We know the cons of being the only black student at an all white school, but the folks that look like you are going to bully you too and tell you your hair is nappy and talk about your clothes.

Ds has only been told his hair is nappy by black kids. Dd has only been told she is darker than night by a black girl. Both were at all black schools. Went to the white and Asian schools and guess what? no bullying or talk of hair or skin color, less fights. Why is that? :confused:

Since bullying exists everywhere. I will take my chances at the majority white and Asian schools because more times than not those schools have higher standards, higher GPA's, more parental involvement, and more opportunities.

Last edited:

ThirdEyeBeauty

This is why I will never have my kids attend an all black or majority black school. Yes whites bully too but I have seen the most disorderly conduct, fighting and bullying on the busses and at schools with the majority black kids. The black kids will talk about your hair, shoes, clothes, and everything. While the white kids can wear pajamas to school with uncombed hair and no one says shi*.
Poverty and lower educational standards at the black schools are other reasons.
No offense but you definitely have not been around to make that conclusion. I've been around and I can personally say you are wrong. Dead wrong with a double meaning. It may depend on location but again you have to expand to know some things.

dancinstallion

No offense but you definitely have not been around to make that conclusion. I've been around and I can personally say you are wrong. Dead wrong with a double meaning. It may depend on location but again you have to expand to know some things.

No offense taken.
Dead wrong about what and which conclusion?
It does depend on location but in many locations I am right from what I see. so please expound on what you see since you have been around.

ThirdEyeBeauty

No offense taken.
Dead wrong about what and which conclusion?
It does depend on location but in many locations I am right from what I see. so please expound on what you see since you have been around.
What did you say about white and Asian student? I would need to talk to you on the phone lol. It's too much. I know of schools where the black students talked about hair and clothes (because the culture or parent taught them to not go out in public a certain way) and I know of all black school (with maybe a sprinkle of Asian students) that taught the children to not pick on students. As for the majority white school, unless it was a private school (and sometimes it did not matter), it was the same if not worse because not only bullying was going on but children were sneaking (?) in guns and hard drugs and alcohol. How many majority black schools do you know that do that? Again it depends on location for that problem. You may know some. So that is why I say it depends on location.

dancinstallion

What did you say about white and Asian student? I would need to talk to you on the phone lol. It's too much. I know of schools where the black students talked about hair and clothes (because the culture or parent taught them to not go out in public a certain way) and I know of all black school (with maybe a sprinkle of Asian students) that taught the children to not pick on students. As for the majority white school, unless it was a private school (and sometimes it did not matter), it was the same if not worse because not only bullying was going on but children were sneaking (?) in guns and hard drugs and alcohol. How many majority black schools do you know that do that? Again it depends on location for that problem. You may know some. So that is why I say it depends on location.

Yes I know lots of Asian and white students cheat to get high gpa's and test scores. :spinning: BUT overall they are kicking the black students behinds in Stem, finance and entrepreneurship.

I've digressed from the topic of bullying I know. :drunk: but I am sidetracked with the thought that the majority of black students will be a permanent underclass and then they have the nerve to bully each other.

ThirdEyeBeauty

Yes I know lots of Asian and white students cheat to get high gpa's and test scores. :spinning: BUT overall they are kicking the black students behinds in Stem, finance and entrepreneurship.
Ouch! Are we talking about the USA?

I've digressed from the topic of bullying I know. but I am sidetracked with the thought that the majority of black students will be a permanent underclass and then they have the nerve to bully each other.
Again it depends on where you are. Are you black? Do you wish you were white or Asian? It takes one person to change their outlook. It will be a cold day in August before I allow myself to defeat myself like that. It has to start somewhere. Build yourself up lady and have hope. Your purpose is to change this way of thinking. Children absorb everything and they will pick up this feeling of self defeat to continue the cycle and make what you say come true.

Last edited:

dancinstallion

Ouch! Are we talking about the USA?

Again it depends on where you are. Are you black? Do you wish you were white or Asian? It takes one person to change their outlook. It will be a cold day in August before I allow myself to defeat myself like that. It has to start somewhere. Build yourself up lady and have hope. Your purpose is to change this way of thinking. Children absorb everything and they will pick up this feeling of self defeat to continue the cycle and make what you say come true.

No I don't wish I was white or Asian. I just like the high standards they have for themselves and their children. That is what I wish black people as a group would have because it would make us greater than we are. BUT I don't see that in most or majority black communities, schools, and I only see it in small individual families/small communities that is sparsed across the US.

No, It takes more than one person to change their outlook, it actually takes multiple people to get some of these kids on the right direction because these kids are surrounded and immersed in dysfunction or low standards. So when they see that ONE individual that you speak of that is doing well or tries to guide them, they believe that individual is just different and smart, that ididividual is not their reality and what they see day to day every day so that ididividual's impact on these children will be nil.

My kids are good, because their dad and I are the individuals, that you speak of, in their lives. I expect high grades and for my kids to take the most challenging classes. Ds and his partner were two of only a trickle of black kids that competed or advanced in our district to the state competition in technology in Texas. This is why I say they are kicking black students behinds in stem.

It is the other black students that I see that I am worried about. But because no one else seems to be worried about them and people think black students, in most places are doing fine, now I no longer worry or care.

Last edited:

Ms. Tarabotti

Yeah, I'm on the fence as to whether majority white schools are totally fine for most of our black children. The emphasis might be on academics and extra curriculars but what about the emotional toll on the black students?

I have been around educators all my life and some of them still hold preconceptions about minority students. When displaying behavior that is typical for a certain age, Bradley is seen as high spirited while Tyrone is disruptive. Barbara and Ming Lee get placed in the gifted classes automatically but teachers might not think to place LaToya in the class. Bradley gets the inside information on scholarships and grants to further his education, Tyrone is handed an booklet and told to look on his own. Parents still have to keep on top of teachers to ensure that their children also benefit from the 'quality' education that majority white schools offer. Teachers do have biases that prevent them from treating children the same even though there is little difference in their academic achievement.

It's great that some of the black children who go too these schools have parents who model academic achievement for them but what about the ones who don't? Is anyone advocating for them?

dancinstallion

Yeah, I'm on the fence as to whether majority white schools are totally fine for most of our black children. The emphasis might be on academics and extra curriculars but what about the emotional toll on the black students?

I have been around educators all my life and some of them still hold preconceptions about minority students. When displaying behavior that is typical for a certain age, Bradley is seen as high spirited while Tyrone is disruptive. Barbara and Ming Lee get placed in the gifted classes automatically but teachers might not think to place LaToya in the class. Bradley gets the inside information on scholarships and grants to further his education, Tyrone is handed an booklet and told to look on his own. Parents still have to keep on top of teachers to ensure that their children also benefit from the 'quality' education that majority white schools offer. Teachers do have biases that prevent them from treating children the same even though there is little difference in their academic achievement.

It's great that some of the black children who go too these schools have parents who model academic achievement for them but what about the ones who don't? Is anyone advocating for them?

What emotional toll are you referring to?

I don't have experience with backwoods, country, small city, majority white schools. Houston schools are very diverse. At the majority white schools there will still be a significant amount of blacks and other minorities there.

Schools have gotten rid of teacher recommendations. In Houston and it's suburbs and in Ohio, students have open choice. Any student can enroll in any advanced class that they want. Do the black students enroll in them?. Very few do. I have said this before DS and Dd are the only one or one of two black students in their advanced classes at two different schools and it is not because there are few blacks at the school.

Go to any open house or meet the teacher day and I can count about 10 or less black parents that show up in all the grades combined at each one of my kids schools. This leaves an impression on the teachers.

At any public and some private schools the parents need to stay on top of teachers and their kids to ensure they are getting a quality education. Period.

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I don’t know why it’s unheard of that black inner city schools where the majority of black kids will attend are complete and utter trash and a lot of it has to do with limited parental involvement.

My elementary school was okay. I got lucky that I was able to get into a college prep high school but the middle school I went to was a zoo. The thing I envy my little brother is that unlike me he had the sense to insist to my mother to get him transferred to another school. I didn’t know that was even an option.

There is a catch 22 for black parents who don’t live in black utopia. You want your kids to learn and be socialized in a black environment but at best what you can afford is mediocre and at worst dangerous. But there is a cost to having your child be the loan black face in a sea of other. There are not a lot of alternatives for balance.

itsallaboutattitude

Cancer Support in Health
Speaking from my experience - my bullies were mainly white and Jewish.

I was threatened with suspension for fighting back (and winning) against the white hispanic Jewish girl who was contracted by the white Jewish boy.

A boy who had a sleepover at my house with my brother prior to this incident.

The suspension was for riding on the bus where the fight took place.

The Spanish girl and her sister and hulk of a brother were known terrorizers. Some years before my brother had broken a chair over the brothers back. This happened before I got to the school. The school was a Montessori school that went up to 6th grade equivalency (12 year olds).

Everyone was happy when that particular family decided to move off island.

Ended up going to a different school with all the usual suspects from the Montessori school thru middle school and high school.

I’ve even run into the Jewish boy here in Atlanta - all cordial. Now.

HappilyLiberal

No I don't wish I was white or Asian. I just like the high standards they have for themselves and their children. That is what I wish black people as a group would have because it would make us greater than we are. BUT I don't see that in most or majority black communities, schools, and I only see it in small individual families/small communities that is sparsed across the US.

No, It takes more than one person to change their outlook, it actually takes multiple people to get some of these kids on the right direction because these kids are surrounded and immersed in dysfunction or low standards. So when they see that ONE individual that you speak of that is doing well or tries to guide them, they believe that individual is just different and smart, that ididividual is not their reality and what they see day to day every day so that ididividual's impact on these children will be nil.

My kids are good, because their dad and I are the individuals, that you speak of, in their lives. I expect high grades and for my kids to take the most challenging classes. Ds and his partner were two of only a trickle of black kids that competed or advanced in our district to the state competition in technology in Texas. This is why I say they are kicking black students behinds in stem.

It is the other black students that I see that I am worried about. But because no one else seems to be worried about them and people think black students, in most places are doing fine, now I no longer worry or care.

:thankyou:

HappilyLiberal

So you do not want to help or care? Is that what you are saying?

I am not going to help at the expense of my child. You have to save your own first! If my child is getting a great education, I am all for having the other black kids there getting a great education as well. However, the minute your unmotivated child starts causing the class to be dumbed down--Houston we have a problem and either your kid has to go, or my child will be leaving!