Mother's what would you do?

Bublin

Where my nieces are from they are in a whole 'nother world then what we live in. My siggy is how my other niece combs her daughter's hair and it drives me up the wall. You can say some much without stepping out of line about how one raises their children. I've voice my opinion and given suggestions.

Oh wow - the pic is small but i presumed they had hats on. I see what you're saying, its seem they are in a 'whole 'nother world'.
And i agree, there is only so much you can say.

I did edit my post slightly to ask if she had any other children, like if she was longing for a girl maybe but i'm getting a sense that your neice thinks that Snoop Dog hairstyles are for the real world and appropriate for children. Still she has done a great thing in taking him in and if this is her only fault in raising him then she can easily correct it.

eyunka

Girl those are bows!:lol:

Oh wow - the pic is small but i presumed they had hats on. I see what you're saying, its seem they are in a 'whole 'nother world'.
And i agree, there is only so much you can say.

I did edit my post slightly to ask if she had any other children, like if she was longing for a girl maybe but i'm getting a sense that your neice thinks that Snoop Dog hairstyles are for the real world and appropriate for children. Still she has done a great thing in taking him in and if this is her only fault in raising him then she can easily correct it.

MizzBrown

I think I have an idea...:look:

What is it? :lol:

Cause I want to know too. I really don't understand the objective for him to have long hair.

And I also dont understand what's lazy about it? That takes work to wash and upkeep longer hair. She'd be considered a little more lax if she actually cut his hair for the low maintenance.

She can't get too mad at folks thinking he's a girl either. If that's what he looks like with the hair, then that's what it is.

reeko43

Your niece should ask the boy if he wants his hair cut or if he wants to keep it long. If he wants it cut, cut it, if not she should do what has been suggested already.

eyunka

I never expressed she was angry

Cause I want to know too. I really don't understand the objective for him to have long hair.

And I also dont understand what's lazy about it? That takes work to wash and upkeep longer hair. She'd be considered a little more lax if she actually cut his hair for the low maintenance.

She can't get too mad at folks thinking he's a girl either. If that's what he looks like with the hair, then that's what it is.

Sent from my HERO200 using HERO200

WhoIAm

I think I have an idea...:look:

He's got that "guud" hair dontcha know. :snickers:

Back on topic.

I'm really curious about the purpose of long hair on boys.

Last edited:

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
He's got that "guud" hair dontcha know. :snickers:

Back on topic.

I'm really curious about the purpose of long hair on boys.

i had the same thought, but I didn't want to infuse that into the mix because I don't know the OP or her niece's motivation. And really, it only came to mind because my ex had the proverbial "guud" hair and told me that his mother refused to have his hair cut as a child (up to middle school), to his embarrassment, and her reasoning was based on him having "guud" hair. He was still mad about that as a grown man too...

Back on topic tho, i'd definitely cut his hair.

eyunka

That never accrued to me. As long as its thick and healthy its guys hair. I can't speak for my niece thats not anything spoke about
i had the same thought, but I didn't want to infuse that into the mix because I don't know the OP or her niece's motivation. And really, it only came to mind because my ex had the proverbial "guud" hair and told me that his mother refused to have his hair cut as a child (up to middle school), to his embarrassment, and her reasoning was based on him having "guud" hair. He was still mad about that as a grown man too...

Back on topic tho, i'd definitely cut his hair.

Jetblackhair

I guess I am old school & old fashioned. I would get his hair cut, not even corn rows. Long hair or corn rows in his hair would be an option once he gets older but not as a child.

manter26

I agree with most everyone here. My preference would be a short cut. If he doesn't want to have it done with clippers he should wear his hair in it's natural state and cut it low with scissors. I can't believe he sits through relaxers or hot combs/flat irons but he says no to a cut.

I don't even think this is an issue of gender norms etc...It's next to impossible to tell the gender of little kids especially when they are wearing school uniforms. Ponies or Transformers on backpacks are pretty much the only way to distinguish girl from boy outside of hairstyle. I don't blame the little boy in the bathroom for saying something to him given the straight-haired ponytails and earrings...

eyunka

Who said anything about perm are straighten comb? That was never stated by me.
I agree with most everyone here. My preference would be a short cut. If he doesn't want to have it done with clippers he should wear his hair in it's natural state and cut it low with scissors. I can't believe he sits through relaxers or hot combs/flat irons but he says no to a cut.

I don't even think this is an issue of gender norms etc...It's next to impossible to tell the gender of little kids especially when they are wearing school uniforms. Ponies or Transformers on backpacks are pretty much the only way to distinguish girl from boy outside of hairstyle. I don't blame the little boy in the bathroom for saying something to him given the straight-haired ponytails and earrings...

eyunka

What the hell is up with these assumptions and stating them as fact? I've had to correct a couple people

Rant over

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
Who said anything about perm are straighten comb? That was never stated by me.

Well how did does she get it straight? It's either relaxed, pressed, flat ironed or blow dried.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Ladybelle

I'm in the minority, I think lil boys need to have either a)obvious boy hairstyles or b)hair cuts. With a huge lean towards hair cuts. Sometimes - even though it be unintentional, women can raise their boys up to be on the feminine side and create unneccessary confusion about gender roles. If you happen to be one of the people who don't believe in gender roles, cool! If not then it is neccessary to teach young girls & boys about gender roles from a young age so they will be well acquainted with them when they get older.

I know I'm in the minority here - but I belive in EVERY way possible boys & girls should be taught early on the difference between being a boy & being a girl. Girl's get their hair groomed, boys get their hair cut. Aren't boys supposed to be low maintenance anyway??

eta: To answer the OP- I would cut his hair. It would have never gotten that long to begin with if it were me. My ds had beautiful hair up until he was two, I loved playing in it, I loved the texture, I loved the fro, I loved cornrowing it. But, when he turned two his father & I cut it.*(His dad actually wanted to cut when he was 12 mos and insisted it be cut when he turned two.) I cried.:cry: My son was looking at me like :ohwell: it's just hair. As a mom, I had to let go of his hair and embrace the idea that even at 2 years old, I was raising a BOY child. I leave the hair love for my girls and they've got plenty of it too! In looking back, my ex-dh was right, it's not healthy for boys to have that kind of love for their hair or their looks.

Last edited:

TonicaG

TonicaG
He is a very cute little boy. I noticed that he has his ear pierced which really makes him look even more like a little girl. I agree with the other ladies either cornrow it or cut it. With him being in uniform with pony tails how can you tell the difference?

doll-baby

I think that she should cut it. I cut my son's hair after his first birthday. I was too much of a headache to try and comb/style his hair. I started asking myself why am I putting myself (and him) through this? He isn't a little girl, so I made both of our lives easier by cutting his hair into a cute ceasar cut.

However if she decides to keep his hair long I agree with previous posters in saying that cornrows (no beads), or a single braided pony tail would be the better styling options.