msm and hair loss

jo123

I have had a history of off and on hair shedding for years. I had an episode last year that lasted for months and slowed down recently. I decided to try rogaine even though the shedding slowed because the sides and back of my hair have really thinned and I thought it might help to thicken those areas faster. I have been doing the Rogaine for about 3 weeks. I recently decided to add msm because of everything I heard about it growing hair faster etc. I started msm about a week ago and right away I noticed a slight increase in shedding. I only started with 1000mg a day and do not want to up my dosage until the shedding stops. Has anyone had their hair shed more using msm? and if so, how long before it stops?
Just wondering how long it will go on for.
Thanks so much,
Jo

Last edited:

Iluvsmuhgrass

Hey! :)

I'm sorry you're having more shedding with msm. :( I take it as a joint supplement, but I haven't noticed any abnormal shedding. Are you experiencing major shedding due to health reasons?

Hopefully some of the other ladies will chime in. :yep:

jo123

Hi Luvs, thanks for your response. No, I think I am genetically predisposed ( my sisters have same issue). But I think mine is triggered mainly by stress, not sure. Last year I crash dieted for a few weeks and that is what caused my latest episode a few months later. Truthfully though, its been going on here and there for years. I had awesome hair during my pregnancies in between. Wish it could have stayed that way, but no such luck.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Stress is awful. Several years ago I had a really hard time (lost my father) and the hair at my temples literally just fell out. Truthfully hair was the last thing on my mind back then, I had to be there for my mom. It was a very stressful time for me.

There are a few treatments that a few ladies have talked about on here (you may have to use the search feature for some of them) but off the top of my head is a product called "Alter Ego Cren Drops". I remember some of the ladies saying that it really helped with their shedding. Others swear by plain garlic (oil on the scalp or taken internally via supplements/diet).

Another thing off of the top of my head for stress is a B vitamin supplement. Valerian and melatonin helped me to relax and get a good night's sleep.

Try not to worry. :bighug: I hope everything works out for you.

jo123

Update.
I stopped the msm for the past two days and right away less shedding, so I guess it was the msm. Would love to know if anyone had similar experience and how long it lasted? I have heard that sometimes a growth stimulator causes shedding at first. I would love to try the msm for growth, but not if the shedding goes on for months. A few weeks I could handle, but that's it.

CuteMeeka

Bumping for more responses.

I just purchased MSM yesterday because I read quite a few positive responses from those who take it... but now I'm trying to figure out if it causes shedding because with all of the shedding I just went through when I tried MN, I prefer not to use anything else that will cause major shedding. :sad: