MSM - anyone still use?

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I tried to do a search, but it isn't finding any results, which is odd. I guess I need to search for msm something or other. Can't think of anything else to search for at the moment besides "msm" though.

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : msm

Does anyone use MSM?

- If so, what results (hair or non-hair related) are you seeing that keeps you taking it?
- What brand?
- amount?
- approx. price?

iwantlongerhair

I have a bottle of GNC i think I paid almost $20 for 1000 mg 180 caplets. I was taking these back in January but I stopped because I was transitioning and I was looking for a braider. Now that I have my hair braided I'm going to start back next week because I also plan to change my diet. I don't know how many inches I got because I don't measure. I could just tell it was growing because my roots were very wavy.

oglorious1

Mixologist
Still using it, it'll be a year really soon, and the stuff does work...it might change the texture of your hair, I know mine has...it's softer than it used to be...

Jewell

My GNC Ultra Nourishair has MSM in it, but I don't take a separate MSM supplement. My hair is doing well.

bluwatersoul

I take GNC UltraNourishair and a separate MSM supplement, as well as other stuff. It hasn't been that long - maybe a month - but I do have alot of new growth, and the texture is MUCH more wiry than usual.

Isis

I have a full bottle but decided not to take any (at least not for now) because I'm reading it can change the texture of the new growth. If it's more wavy, then I won't be able to tell when I relax. If it's more wiry, then it may not relax properly since I'm only relaxing my hair 50%.

senimoni

tryn2growmyhair said:
People say that it works. What exactly does it do? What is the difference between pill and powder?

Heres the short version.

Some of MSM's essential functions in the body include maintaining the structure of the proteins in the body, helping the formation of keratin which is essential for hair and nail growth, aiding in the production of immunoglobulin which maintains the immune system, and catalyzing the chemical reactions which change food into energy.

And the long

http://msm.com/ArticleDetail.cfm?AID=19

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I just started adding some to my water I take to work everyday. I have had the powder for a long time but had slacked off. My hair was silkier and finer when I used it before. As far as pill vs powder, sometimes pills have fillers, (powder also sometimes to stop clumping) and the powder is easier to mix in liquids and normally more economical. Maybe someone else has more insights but those are the only differences I remember.

adrienne0914

i've been taking it for YEARS. i initially took it for my hair, but it's really more beneficial to me for my joints (a sistah's getting old). it really helps with that. like if i'm sore after i've started exercising (again) :lol:, i take it twice a day. it helps with that. i haven't really noticed a difference in my growth rate. it's still as slow as ever. :ohwell:

i use the Vitamin Shoppe brand, 1000mg. i ordered so much when it was on sale, i can't remember how much i paid for it last. i do the capsules. i could not take the powder. it was horrible. so i was really inconsistent with it!!

CurlyCrly

Thanks adrienne! What was horrible about the powder? I've heard that it doesn't have a taste to it. Did yours taste bad?

I am taking the pills, but was thinking about switching to the powder since these pills are huge! Maybe capsules will be easier to take.

dina32

I have been taking the liquid and powder form of MSM off and on for a couple of years. It does make my hair grow like crazy and my new growth is softer when it comes in. The taste in powder and liquid form is amazingly disgusting (It taste like I imagine motor oil and old boots must taste like). So I have to hold my breath and try to take it down quickly. But it does work!!

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
For the last couple of weeks I've been adding a little powder to my drinking water I take to work. I havent measured it tho, I just dont use so much that I can taste it. They say its odorless and tasteless but that is a lie if I ever heard one. I got mine from swansons. I havent been gauging anything for hairgrowth results. MSM

*edit* I just realized I already posted in this thread. SMH...I musta been sleep deprived...

Last edited:

msniq

I get mine from Costco. I got 300 tablets 1000 mg for less than 20. It may have been like 14. I can not remember, but i know it was less than 20

CurlyCrly

msniq said:
I get mine from Costco. I got 300 tablets 1000 mg for less than 20. It may have been like 14. I can not remember, but i know it was less than 20

How are they working for you? I may get mine from there when I finish the GNC MSM next month.

balisi

I started MSM about three and a half weeks ago, and have noticed a definite increase in my hair's growth. My skin and nails also appear to be benefiting from it. I currently take 2,000-3,000 mg daily.

adrienne0914

dina32 said:
The taste in powder and liquid form is amazingly disgusting (It taste like I imagine motor oil and old boots must taste like). So I have to hold my breath and try to take it down quickly. But it does work!!

hey, i would hold my breath too!! :lachen: that still wasn't enough. it just tastes horrible to me... i still haven't been able to put my finger on what it tastes like, but it's really bitter, curlycrly. if you do try the powder, don't do like me and get a 2 lb jar. start small at first to see if you can take it.

CurlyCrly

That sounds really nasty. Would it still taste bad if you used less per serving or is there no hope for it?

balisi, that's amazing that you notice growth so quickly. are you taking the powder or pills? I don't think that I have noticed any yet. It's only been 10 days or so though. :)

adrienne, have you been taking the powder for several years or did you just start taking the powder?

adrienne0914

CurlyCrly said:
That sounds really nasty. Would it still taste bad if you used less per serving or is there no hope for it?

balisi, that's amazing that you notice growth so quickly. are you taking the powder or pills? I don't think that I have noticed any yet. It's only been 10 days or so though. :)

adrienne, have you been taking the powder for several years or did you just start taking the powder?
i don't know if it would be as effective if you decrease the amount too much. some people take it with orange juice instead of water, which makes the taste less noticeable. i'm doing Weight Watchers, and i'd rather use my points for something else. lol!

girl, i took the powder for several days when i first bought it. i've been taking the capsules for several years. :lol:

cafe au lait

I recently switched from MSM caplets to MSM lignisul crystals. Which is suppose to be of the highest quality MSM. I add it to half a glass of water every morning and night. It tastes quite bitter but I love it. I think after the first time I got use to the taste, I also feel it would work better as a teaspoon is 2000mg and a heaped teaspoon is 4000mg, and I can also add it to my favorite hair conditioner to make my own. I only started this last week Tuesday so I haven't seen any results yet. I am also freshly relaxed. HTH

I also noticed that when I tried the heaped teaspoon, I get headaches. I don't get breakouts though, just incredibly smooth skin. saying that I must add that I take a lot of other vitamins and drink around 31/2 to 4 litres of evian water daily.

senimoni

I'm getting the Liguisnal crystals soon. If all else fails and I don't like it I will add to my conditioners and lotions.