MSM = Asian Hair?!

Hairgasm

If I read only one or two biased reports from pharmaceutical companies with an agenda I wouldn't take the sulfur/race thing as fact.

However, I have read many, many clinical studies that have concluded this as fact. If it is necessary for me to cite references, I am happy to provide them. I agree that it depends on the source, but if multiple reliable sources state this claim as fact, and I have added sulfur to my diet and have noticed a remarkable change, I am a believer. I could have NEVER just blown my hair straight before taking sulfur.

I don't see how stating that sulfur content differs among races as being an insult or smack to the AA race. Just as we know for a fact that people of African descent have more melanin in their skin than Caucasian people, we don't seem to take offense to that. We know it's true and not some conspiracy theory; maybe because melanin is a positive, protective component of skin and we're proud that we as a race have that on our side and amazing skin? :confused:

All I'm saying is Afro-textured hair FOR THE MOST PART (not all or every person of African descent) is much different than other hair types. There is a reason. Sulfur may not be the ONLY piece to the puzzle, but I am convinced that it plays a role.

Again, I take NATROL brand MSM, but I've taken several brands in capsule form.

Now that I think of it, my periods went from lasting five full days of heavy bleeding down to two days of light bleeding. My gyno told me I'm healthy as a horse and to thank my lucky stars. I am!

plainj

When I took MSM I remember my short edges sticking up. I had a hard time getting them to lay flat even w/ gel/moisturizer & a scarf. It also helped my joints. When I exercised, I had the hardest time doing lunges--my knees would hurt badly. I no longer felt that pain when I took MSM. Thanks for sharing.

AtlantaJJ

You go Hair Luv, you really informed me and for that I'm grateful!

I am so behind on the hair care thing, I've been wearing braids for the past 6 years, I had terrible hair sheding PP (after baby) and man I just hid from the problem by getting my hair braided over and over and over, until 2 weeks ago! Now I am gonig to nurse my hair back to health based on the information I'm finding here on this site!

I never ever heard of Alter Ego CREN Curativ Ego for Hair Loss until today, I needed that stuff after my baby was born :cry2:

And as for the sulfur thing, I don't see how that can be insulting, if it's a proven fact, that's all it is...just facts....

Hairgasm

Oh, about digestive enzymes and alcohol...

NEVER take an enzyme supplement anytime near when you'll be taking medication or drinking alcohol or caffeine. Since enzymes break everything down, they heighten the effects of medications and booze. I take my enzymes way separately from when I have a glass of champagne. Digestive enymes tend to linger in the body for a couple hours after a meal until the meal fully digests.

I wait four hours after taking an enzyme supplement to have some bubbly. Women can't live on health food alone! :D

Hairgasm

AtlantaJJ said:

I am so behind on the hair care thing, I've been wearing braids for the past 6 years, I had terrible hair sheding PP (after baby) and man I just hid from the problem by getting my hair braided over and over and over, until 2 weeks ago! Now I am gonig to nurse my hair back to health based on the information I'm finding here on this site!

I never ever heard of Alter Ego CREN Curativ Ego for Hair Loss until today, I needed that stuff after my baby was born :cry2:

And as for the sulfur thing, I don't see how that can be insulting, if it's a proven fact, that's all it is...just facts....

That is AWESOME that you've made a firm resolve to pamper your hair. Kudos to you, AtlantaJJ. If you're diligent with your haircare regimen, you should start to notice a big difference in a week or two. Even a little improvement builds confidence and motivation!

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Wildchild453 said:
I have one question, does anyone know the converions from tsp to mg?
Technically, you cannot because a teaspoon is a unit of volume and milligram is a unit of mass (weight). The only exception to this is measuring water. The closest you can come is 1 tsp.≈5g.

Who said algebra was useless?:D

nomoweavesfome

Hair Love said:
Oh, about digestive enzymes and alcohol...

NEVER take an enzyme supplement anytime near when you'll be taking medication or drinking alcohol or caffeine. Since enzymes break everything down, they heighten the effects of medications and booze. I take my enzymes way separately from when I have a glass of champagne. Digestive enymes tend to linger in the body for a couple hours after a meal until the meal fully digests.

I wait four hours after taking an enzyme supplement to have some bubbly. Women can't live on health food alone! :D

JUST WHEN i THOUGHT i COULDN'T GET HEALTHIER, HERE YOU GO WITH THE EZYME STUFF!! BOY i TELL YOU-- GOD WILLING i'LL LIVE TO 130!! LOL

nadine1977canada

Hair Love said:
Allow me to preface what I am about to say by mentioning that I am a new paid member, and I am NOT the other HairLove who has been a member for a while. When I get my new username, I will post from that account, but until then, I'll post from this username. I sent two e-mails to the moderator to change my username, and I await their reply.

In the meantime, I am bursting at the seams to tell you all about my quasi-dilemma regarding my hair after taking MSM for roughly five years.

I actually posted this long, drawn-out, highly detailed post a couple of days ago, but the system erased my message because it says I wasn't logged in. That may be a blessing in disguise, as it spares you all from reading fluff when all you want are the facts. So, rather than editorializing, I will post (in chronological order) the events leading up to my having an Asian head of hair (after blowdrying) today.

1. Someone on Naturallycurly.com mentioned MSM back in 2001, and I decided to try it. I have been taking it every year since then. Initially for the first two years, I took 1000 mgs. twice a day with tons of water. Thereafter, I got lazy and tapered down to one 1000 mg. capsule once a day, then only randomly. I had the rapid detox symptoms, and remedied that with drinking more distilled water.

2. I have tried many MSM brands and forms. They all work for me, but the kind that is formulated for humans (lignusil sp?) works the fastest for me.

3. I noticed much faster hair growth back in 2002, but no texture change. My hair was APL in 2003, and I did a 2" BC and wore it in a moist curly/wavy style. That's when I noticed that my hair texture changed. It used to naturally be the texture of Diana Ross' hair/wig/weave. My hair used to be big, thick, and wild 4a hair. But in 2003, it became more coily and springy. I continued to sporadically take MSM.

4. Since 2003, my hair texture has gradually changed. Now my hair grows out of my skull this weird texture. It's hard to describe. I have a chin-length bob now, after doing another BC earlier this year. It's wavy and spongey when dry, like a soft rug. It doesn't look or feel like anyone's hair I have ever seen. It's hard to classify my new hair type. When natural, imagine if you combined 3b, 3c, and 4a in a bottle and mixed it all up; that's the texture it is now. I don't have pics yet. It has gradually straightened and softened over the years, but I'm noticing now just how much of a drastic change it is. It is also now, not 2x, but 3x as thick as before - and I had big hair before MSM! :eek: Hence, my desire to flatten it so I don't scare small children.

5. But the WEIRD thing is, when I mildly relax, blowout, or MaxiGlide my hair, IT STAYS STRAIGHT, even after washing! The texture after blowdrying it is identical to an Asian guy's hair, since it's so short. It's spikey and does these weird cowlick things, just like an Asian guy's short hair.

6. The other day I went to the beauty school to get my hair texturized and flat-ironed to reduce its volume. My stylist, who is a Black student, raked her fingers through my hair and had this odd look on her face. I go, "Let me guess. You've never seen or felt hair like mine before." She goes, "To be honest with you, no, I haven't. It's a good grade of hair, but just different...kinda like Japanese hair. You really don't even need a texturizer. Why don't I just press it?" I insisted that I wanted my hair to lay flat and had her mildly retouch the roots. There was a point when we both busted out laughing because my hair was sticking up like a beanstalk or sun rays. I go, "I'm so glad you have validated that I have weird hair. I thought I was just imagining it."

7. I'm so used to having this big, wild hair and having my stylist flat-iron it with one of those old school irons that you put in a ceramic oven. I asked the student stylist the other day to use the oven, and she was like, "Your hair doesn't need that much heat; using oven heat would be excessive. I'm afraid to use that on your hair. Can I just use my plug-in instead?" I gave her the green light.

My hair is poker straight after just blowdrying. Not straight with a little wave, but POKER straight, and I only have a mild texturizer. Even without a texturizer, I get the same effect after any heat touches it.

As I mentioned, I get these weird cowlick things similar to an Asian guy's where my hair just pops up and salutes the air, but it bounces. My Asian friend assures me that it's because my hair is short. She said, "Asian hair is stiff and spikey when it's short. But when our hair grows out, the weight makes it hang nicely. I never get cowlicks since my hair is shoulder-length."

I'm not claiming that my hair looks or feels like Asian hair when it grows out of my scalp. I'm saying that even WITHOUT a texturizer and simply blowdrying it, it definitely does. It was never like this before MSM. I'm happy that it's more manageable and not a fierce jungle to wrestle with. Maybe my hair was so knotty and tangled before because it was missing MSM/sulfur?

I'm not here to spark the old good hair/bad hair debate. I'm relaying my personal experience with taking MSM for five years, since some of us are curious about the long-term effects of supplements.

Y'all, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Have any of you veteran MSM users noticed a similar result? I don't know what to make of it. I wonder if my hair will keep changing the longer I take MSM.

I also don't even know how to style this new hair!!! :confused:

Ok...Y'all got me going again...:lachen: Just last week I was in here saying I would not try any MSM. After reading how some people where PMS-ing bad...I got scared since my PMS are rough as it is. But after reading you post, I might give it a try. I will be scared as a pigeon, but I will give it a try. The minute i read your post, I had a vision of myself with beautiful straight asian like hair :lol: :lachen: ...Damn I looked real cute too! :lachen: Ok ok.... I will give MSM a try. Which bran y'all recommend and what dosage! LOL:grin:

Last edited:

growingbrown

I think that this is why I am having a hard time seeing my new growth. I have been taking 4.25 g of MSM a day for about 3 months. My new growth is soft and thick. When I blowdry and flat iron, it looks like I do not need a touch up. I think I will continue with my MSM. Just think, I was going to stop takiing it. Not NOW

JLove74

AtlantaJJ said:

I have a bottle that I've used a few times when I was dealing with serious shedding. If you like it, I can send it to your for free - no problem at all. I'd rather get rid of it, since I'm not using it any longer.

Just lemme know :)

tallnomad

very interesting. guess i'll pull out my powder. it's my dr. jarrow and tastes super nasty. maybe i'll finish it and then get the natrol caps you suggested.

i also have fresh cucumber juice almost daily. it has a lot of sulfur and selenium. carrot and cucumber juice combined (which i make) is supposed to accelerate hair growth.

AtlantaJJ

JLove74 said:
I have a bottle that I've used a few times when I was dealing with serious shedding. If you like it, I can send it to your for free - no problem at all. I'd rather get rid of it, since I'm not using it any longer.

Just lemme know :)
'

That is sooooo very kind! I have read were I could do a roller set and then put on my scalp and let it sit before I go under the dryer! That would be perfect! Man o man, I didn't get a lick of work done today but boy did I learn a lot. Then I come straight home and I'm back on my 'puter and I see this great news! Thank you!! Please see my PM

Janet happy in Atlanta - - looking for a touch up buddy!!

I gotta get me a siggy and a picture thingie and all that stuff!

RainbowCurls

Nymphe said:
Technically, you cannot because a teaspoon is a unit of volume and milligram is a unit of mass (weight). The only exception to this is measuring water. The closest you can come is 1 tsp.≈5g.

Who said algebra was useless?:D

A gram is a measure of mass too... isn't it?

AFAIK 1 tsp is approx 5ml

ETA: Unless you meant a teaspoon of water is approx 5g.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
PerfectDoak said:
A gram is a measure of mass too... isn't it?

AFAIK 1 tsp is approx 5ml

ETA: Unless you meant a teaspoon of water is approx 5g.
Oh, I forgot to mention with water, the volume number equal the mass number. My brain is faster than my fingers...

LondonDiva

Hair Love said:
The rapid detox symptoms were breaking out in bumps all over my body - INCLUDING THE SOLES OF MY FEET. I was so unbearably itchy, child, I was brushing my body with my hairbrush! It stopped when I drank more water.

Itchy bumps and acne are a common side effect of MSM if you're not drinking enough water to flush the toxins out. Drink as much water as you can stand!

I have a slight straw fetish, and drink everything with a straw. I notice I can get more water down this way. Hey, whatever works!

You too :eek: Everything but hot drinks though. I even drink alcohol with a straw

LondonDiva

My MSM is at the post office waiting to be picked up. There is a more potent MSM than the lignisul brand I was taking before. **click the MSM link in my siggy to read up on it.** There are more mg per teaspoon than the other brand. I can't wait to try this.

crlsweetie912

LondonDiva said:
My MSM is at the post office waiting to be picked up. There is a more potent MSM than the lignisul brand I was taking before. **click the MSM link in my siggy to read up on it.** There are more mg per teaspoon than the other brand. I can't wait to try this.

DANG, that MSM is potent! 7000 mg per teaspoon! I gotta go read more!:D

ETA: They have a link for the US purchasers too! Thanks londondiva!
http://www.a1msm.co.uk/msm-usa.htm

Last edited:

LondonDiva

crlsweetie912 said:
DANG, that MSM is potent! 7000 mg per teaspoon! I gotta go read more!:D

ETA: They have a link for the US purchasers too! Thanks londondiva!
http://www.a1msm.co.uk/msm-usa.htm

You're welcome. :) These guys have the best customer service. My mum called to re-order she recieved hers the next day before she even posted the cheque to pay for it, talk about really trustworthy. Their delivery is fast, mine came the next day, the postman is re-delivering it tomorrow as I was out, can't wait to try this brand.

Plus they take Paypal :D

gn1g

yes Hair Love you have an audience and I for one am leaning forward to catch every tip. I have a couple of questions and comments for you.

1. WHy are you taking the Iron Glycinoe during your cycle? I take Iron randomly but mostly during that time to help lighten the flow. I also take it to help minimize my shedding.

2. Do you know of any supplment that stops shedding.

3. Cooper 2mg per day is suppose to turn your gray hair back to its normal color and so does alfafa.

4. I take papaya enzmyes with most every meal, do you think people need stronger enzymes?

5. Tell us more about other supplements u take?

I get all bloat and itchy when I don't take the MSM also.

winterinatl

All natural!
Hairluv, I have a question for you:

It seems you are a very healthy eater. I have heard people have seen texture differences with MSM...but you seem to have had a MAJOR texture change. Do you suppose this effect is mainly as result of the MSM, or perhaps the combined effect of your supplementation/healthy ways?

Thanks in advance!:)

SweetNic_JA

LondonDiva said:
You're welcome. :) These guys have the best customer service. My mum called to re-order she recieved hers the next day before she even posted the cheque to pay for it, talk about really trustworthy. Their delivery is fast, mine came the next day, the postman is re-delivering it tomorrow as I was out, can't wait to try this brand.

Plus they take Paypal :D
Thanks for the site .:up: I'll definitely be placing an order. I have been meaning to get back on an MSM regime for a while now. I first started MSM supplementsi in about 2002 but didn't keep up with it. My hair has been suffering without MSM and supplements.

Nanyanika

MrsHouston said:
Den1, what is "efas"? I've never heard of this.
Its essential fatty acids, omega 3, 6 and 9. they are known as good fats. our bodies don't manufacture them so we have to supplrement through diet.

LondonDiva

SweetNic_JA said:
Thanks for the site .:up: I'll definitely be placing an order. I have been meaning to get back on an MSM regime for a while now. I first started MSM supplementsi in about 2002 but didn't keep up with it. My hair has been suffering without MSM and supplements.

You're welcome!

I got my 2 1lb tubs today. This is gonna last me a long time!! lThis stuff looks like a white Class A narcotic:eek: I'd be very careful carrying this through customs at the airport :lol:

It's more refined than the Lignisul crystals (like a crystally powder-very easy to dissolve)and the beauty is I can take about 1/4 teaspoon (1750mg) in 1/2 litre of water at a time and not taste the MSM. It still have that slight bitter MSM taste to it.

1 heaped teaspoon of this stuff is = 7,000mg

MrsHouston

den1 said:
Its essential fatty acids, omega 3, 6 and 9. they are known as good fats. our bodies don't manufacture them so we have to supplrement through diet.

Thanks... I need to add the Omega 9 to my diet

silvergirl

hmm interesting...

i dont need a texture change cause i love my texture... but does msn help with de-frizzing on natural hair... meaning if i dont want to flatiron my hair would i still get the "msn" effect or do you only notice it alot on flatironned/straightened hair?