MSM changing hair texture

katie

I had heard about this in other threads but I had no idea it would be such a big change.I usually have extremely kinky hair...no curls or waves whatsoever.It is so kinky my new growth would roll up into little balls at the back of my head no matter how much I tried to comb it out.lol
My relaxed and natural hair textures were so radically different I could not go more than 6 weeks without a touchup.
My present MSM brand has soo changed my hair texture it is amazing.I now have soft waves of new growth.I am at 5 weeks and am planning to go 8 weeks til a touch up.I have lots of new growth,my hair is not breaking and it just feels so darned good!

I am sooo happy I found this brand of MSM cuz the other brands I had used b4 had no effect whatsoever and I was convinced MSM was a waste of time.

Did anyone else experience a big change in hair texture after MSM?

katie

I use Kaire MSM Complex.It contains B Vitamins,folic acid and Vitamin C also.They don't say what the dosage is on the bottle.

joyous

[ QUOTE ]
I use Kaire MSM Complex.It contains B Vitamins,folic acid and Vitamin C also.They don't say what the dosage is on the bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you purchase it? That just goes to show that brand does make a difference. I experienced the same thing with my silica brand.

mstasha

My hair seems a little thicker. When I check the hair that falls out for the bubs (to make sure it's breakage) I have noticed that it does not look like my hair its darker when I look at a stran along. My hair is sandy brown and before the msm I would look at a peice by its self and it looks almost invisible to me because of the light color. I use natrol msm and I take 1500mg

sweetpeadst

this is the information from the Kaire's website!!!

MSM COMPLEX™ with OptiMSM®</FONT>

Physical stress, injury, and age can all take their toll on the health of your bones and joints, but hidden factors such as free radical damage, poor blood circulation, and dietary deficiencies can equally affect them as well.

Kaire™’s MSM Complex™ is comprised of a unique combination of MSM, and specific B-vitamins that are an integral part of bone and joint wellness and healthy blood circulation.

MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is an organic form of sulfur naturally found in plants, animals, and the human body.

Kaire™’s MSM Complex™ with OptiMSM® is comprised of a unique combination of MSM, and specific B-vitamins that are an integral part of healthy blood circulation.

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]SUPPLEMENT FACTS
[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Serving Size: 4 capsules
Servings Per Container: 30
[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Amount Per Serving[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]% DV [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]25 mg[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]**[/font]​
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Citrus bioflavonoids[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]70 mg[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]70 mcg[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Folate (Folic acid)[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]0.7 mg[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]MSM (methylsulfonylmethane)[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]500 mg[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Pyridoxine HCL (Vitamin B6)[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]2 mg[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]** Daily Value (DV) not established[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Other ingredients: [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Maltodextrin, Magnesium stearate, (capsule shell: gelatin, glycerin, water)[/font]

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

katie

I no longer use Kaire MSM. I realised it was breaking me out. But I always got great results from it with my hair and I used it for over 2 years.

sweetpeadst

Where did you get it from??? And how was it breaking you out??? Long time no hear or I just haven't seen any post from you!!

Last edited:

katie

Hey sweetpeadst,
I guess I don't post that much. I've been quite busy job hunting of late.
I went to Kaire website and called the toll free number. You'll find that under "Contact Us"
I had been reading about MSM breakouts and decided to stop it to see if that would clear up my breakouts. And my face cleared up a lot soon after I stopped. I started it again just to be sure and sure enough my face broke out once more. So I've since stopped using it.

sweetpeadst

katie said:
Hey sweetpeadst,
I guess I don't post that much. I've been quite busy job hunting of late.
I went to Kaire website and called the toll free number. You'll find that under "Contact Us"
I had been reading about MSM breakouts and decided to stop it to see if that would clear up my breakouts. And my face cleared up a lot soon after I stopped. I started it again just to be sure and sure enough my face broke out once more. So I've since stopped using it.

DId you take the OJ with your s b/c I see on their website that it has vitamin C in theirs??? Also how long after you started using it did you notice the differences??? And how much were you taking daily?

katie

sweetpeadst said:
DId you take the OJ with your s b/c I see on their website that it has vitamin C in theirs??? Also how long after you started using it did you notice the differences??? And how much were you taking daily?

I didn't take any extra vitamin C with it.
I noticed my new growth coming in faster in a little under 2 weeks. And the texture change occurred shortly after that.
I only took as much as they recommended. Which is 2 tablets twice a day.

sweetpeadst

katie said:
I didn't take any extra vitamin C with it.
I noticed my new growth coming in faster in a little under 2 weeks. And the texture change occurred shortly after that.
I only took as much as they recommended. Which is 2 tablets twice a day.
Thanks I appreciate you answering my questions!!

aqualung

I'm taking 8,000 mg of MSM (vitamine shoppe) per day with biotin and vitamin C and hairtopia supplements and protein.
It's a lot.
Will see if my texture changes.

Goal is to prevent the hairdresser from ripping thru my tight new growth when the weave is replaced.

Last edited:

jamaraa

I haven't used this brand, but sulphur WILL change your hair texture....positively for most here. It seems to loosen up the tightness in NG which is never a bad thing, IMHO.

The downside is that many people are allergic to sulpur products, so that's something to watch. For some, it's simply a matter of time for your body to accept the new chemical and plenty of water...for others, they're hard core allergic. If it's breaking you out, try more water and balancing w/ vit C...if it doesn't clear up in a few days, leave it alone. Those w/ SERIOUS reactions will know right away. Leave it be, if so.

Give it a try Musical Youth! ;) Any brand will do, not just this one. The NOW brand is easy to get in several form and cheap(ish).

nyeredzi

I'm not sure if I'm taking an ineffective version, but I've been taking it for 3 months now, mostly for my joints (knee and hip :( ) I have not noticed any texture change at all. I take between 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of the crystals mixed in liquid per day.

larry3344

I'm not sure if I'm taking an ineffective version, but I've been taking it for 3 months now, mostly for my joints (knee and hip :( ) I have not noticed any texture change at all. I take between 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of the crystals mixed in liquid per day.
I think your not taking enough, I remember I took 1 tbsp for several months (6 months) and my texture definitely changed.
I am going back to it because it’s the only thing that’s made my hair manageable prevented breakage and soften my hair.

snoop

I think your not taking enough, I remember I took 1 tbsp for several months (6 months) and my texture definitely changed.
I am going back to it because it’s the only thing that’s made my hair manageable prevented breakage and soften my hair.

What amount did you start with and how long did it take for you to work up to 1 tbsp?

nyeredzi

Ah, I see. I was taking per directions on the package. I wasn't really looking for it to change my texture, so I think I'll keep mine at that amount.

TLC1020

I've been taking MSM since May, I have also been wearing braids, so I haven't had a chance to see if my hair texture has changed. When I take the braids down, I will definitely be checking to see if my hair texture changed.