MSM & Natual Hair

Country gal

Does anyone who has Natural hair use MSM? Have you had positive results? I don't neccesarily want to change my hair texture. I want my hair to grow longer. What are your reasons for using MSM. I mostly read posts by relaxers using MSM.

joyous

I have natural hair and I have not experienced the softer texture but my new growth is very strong and thick. Also I was shedding like crazy the past two months and it helped immensely to alleviate the shedding. My main reason for using it was the skin benefits and I've never been happier with the results. My nails are also strong and hard.

Victorian

old head
Yeah, my reasons for taking MSM actually don't have anything to do with my hair. I take it for general connective tissue and joint health. Skin is glowing and knees aren't killing me at the end of the day :yep:

BLESSED1

I take it and did get an inch in the last 4weeks, but I changed up quite a few things so I can't solely place growth on the MSM.

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I take it and havent noticed a texture change and trust me I was looking out for it. I started taking it for skin benefits, it has my skin looking fab and my hair close to the roots seem really strong and healthy

joyous

Country gal said:
Joyus- Thanks for the feedback. It is also good for our joints.
How could I forget that one? My family has a history of arthritis and I have periods where I suffer from achy and swelling joints. My doctor usually gives me a standing order so I can just refill as needed. Guess what? This works better than any prescription I've ever tried. I just increased my dosage to 1 teaspoon and the benefits have been great.

carameldiva

i'm natural and i just start taking this on the regular again. The first time i was taking it- it did loosen up the hair/curl in one section in the middle of my nape area- that section is still different from the rest of my hair. I will have to see what happens this time around.

Blaque*Angel

Country gal said:
Does anyone who has Natural hair use MSM? Have you had positive results? I don't neccesarily want to change my hair texture. I want my hair to grow longer. What are your reasons for using MSM. I mostly read posts by relaxers using MSM.

I Was thinking of starting a simular thread;)
i'm natural and was a 4b, i was taking the capsule MSM for 3months and noticed no difference in my hair texture. (i dID not wish for a texture change )

since taking the powdered MSM, From new horizons www.a1msm.com
www.a1msm.co.uk i have noticed my hair is so soft, i have to take pics soon because i am confused about the texture! i have never felt my hair so soft,wavy and curly at the same time- i am retaining so much more length it's unbelievable! thanks Den1;)

besides the hair benefits, MSM is excellent for scars,stiff bones, clear skin, whiter teeth ETC...

at times i do miss my thick bushy 4B hair though:look: !

Last edited:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I take MSM....

My mother gave me a bottle of MSM about 10 years ago to help with my menstrual cramps...I thought it was a bunch of hoo-ee so I never took them...In fact I threw them away :eek: I didn't hear about MSM again til I started lurking on LHCF late last year....I originally started taking MSM for the hair benefits I heard/learned about here but then I noticed that my knees had stopped aching (I'm on my feet all day at work) then I started noticing that my joints in general felt great....I've always had clear skin (never had acne a day in my life) with the exception of that ONE pimple I'd always get prior to my period coming on :mad: but since taking MSM I don't even get that pre-period pimple anymore :D

My hair is doing absolutely fabulous but to be perfectly honest I'm not sure what's working because I do a lot of things and take a lot of vitamins...my hair is a lot more softer and the strands are a lot more thicker.

Country gal

Sunshine_One said:
Forgive me for being late...but what exactly is MSM?

MSM is a natural form of organic sulfur found in all living organisms, including human body fluids and tissues. Sulfur is one of the most basic building blocks of the structure of the body. MSM facilitates the exchange of oxygen, carbon dioxide and nutrients, which promote the healing process of skin. MSM is a bioavailable source of dietary sulfur contributing essential sulfur for the synthesis of proteins, hormones, connective tissue, and enzymes. As a central component of collagen, sulfur assists the body in preventing inflammation and facilitating repair of connective tissues.

MSM is more beneficial when taken with a complete Vitamin C whole food complex (MSM Magic or Ultra Anti-Oxidant C), which is known to be essential for synthesis of connective tissue, enhancing the absorption and utilization of MSM.

Sunshine_One

Country gal said:
MSM is a natural form of organic sulfur found in all living organisms, including human body fluids and tissues. Sulfur is one of the most basic building blocks of the structure of the body. MSM facilitates the exchange of oxygen, carbon dioxide and nutrients, which promote the healing process of skin. MSM is a bioavailable source of dietary sulfur contributing essential sulfur for the synthesis of proteins, hormones, connective tissue, and enzymes. As a central component of collagen, sulfur assists the body in preventing inflammation and facilitating repair of connective tissues.

MSM is more beneficial when taken with a complete Vitamin C whole food complex (MSM Magic or Ultra Anti-Oxidant C), which is known to be essential for synthesis of connective tissue, enhancing the absorption and utilization of MSM.

Wow! Thanks for that info. I'm gong to research this more. I might start using it.

Zeal

wantlonghealthyhair said:
i'm natural and was a 4b, i was taking the capsule MSM for 3months and noticed no difference in my hair texture. (i dID not wish for a texture change )

www.a1msm.co.uk i have noticed my hair is so soft, i have to take pics soon because i am confused about the texture! i have never felt my hair so soft,wavy and curly at the same time- i am retaining so much more length it's unbelievable! thanks Den1;)

besides the hair benefits, MSM is excellent for scars,stiff bones, clear skin, whiter teeth ETC...

I just started taking it yesterday. I am taking it for my skin. Are you saying it changed you hair texture? What did it change it to? :ohwell:

CurleeDST

I use it but to smooth out my skin and remain blemish-free skin.

Country gal said:

CurleeDST

You increased to 1 tsp a day? I started at 1 tsp a day. I take it with about 1/4 cup of orange juice or 100% Dole Mango Peach Orange juice and it greatly downplays the bitter aftertaste.

joyous said:
How could I forget that one? My family has a history of arthritis and I have periods where I suffer from achy and swelling joints. My doctor usually gives me a standing order so I can just refill as needed. Guess what? This works better than any prescription I've ever tried. I just increased my dosage to 1 teaspoon and the benefits have been great.

Blaque*Angel

Zeal said:
I just started taking it yesterday. I am taking it for my skin. Are you saying it changed you hair texture? What did it change it to? :ohwell:

Hey Zeal, I'm not sure what my hair texture is now,
I know I was a 4B, I could still be a 4b:confused: but it is now extremely soft and wavy- (not a bad thing) but i am used to thick afro hair....:ohwell:

My family are like "wow, you'll never need a perm!" I have no intentions to perm anyway.

I dont want to quit MSM because of the other benefits.
I also don't want my hair changing to a type 1 or 2:look:

Check Ekomba's album, She went through the same texture change, I am experiencing. It just feels bizarre really, my hair doesn't "grow up" now but "grows down" hope this makes sense.....:ohwell:

(sorry i have to jack pics from google to show my example):lachen:

Before After

morehairplease

wantlonghealthyhair said:

hi wantlonghealthyhair,

Do you mind telling me how much you are taking & how often?

thanks in advance