MSM Powder (for Topical Use)/Semi-perm rinse

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Hi Ladies,

I suffered my first setback recently so I'm trying to get back on track. So far so good. By the way, garlic pills work great to stop shedding hair. Anyway, I'm experimenting with a sulfur powder mixture and wanted to get your opinions/experience first. I bought a jar of the MSM powder from the natural food store yesterday. I hope this is the right thing for topical applications. :look:

I opened the jar and the aroma made me want to gag. I was expecting a Sulfur-8 type smell but it was more like morning breath. :eek: Is this normal???

I don't want to take anything extra internally because my hormones and acne are finally in tune and I don't want to risk shaking things up. So I was gonna mix this powder with Castor Oil and apply it to my scalp only. I haven't done it yet and I hope it works. I know it can dry your hair or scalp so I hope I can keep it moisturized at the same time.

The past couple of weeks on my scalp I've been using castor oil, a little leftover Sulfur-8 grease (I can't wait to toss this grease) and occasionally Nioxin scalp therapy. I do feel a very good amount of new growth since doing this and I'm only about 3 weeks post. But I can't deal with the idea of using that grease which feels like Vaseline clogging my scalp. Oh yeah, I broke open an MSM capsule and tried to mix it in the oil but it didn't mix well. I hope this powder mixes better than the capsule. If not, I wasted my $20.

Here's my question. I plan to color with a rinse tonight and I'm wondering if Sulfur interferes with color the way that it can interfere with your relaxer? I bought a brand new jet black half wig I wanted to rock tonight and I need to refresh my color to make it blend well.

Any tips or suggestions on mixing this MSM powder for topical application? I plan to do this every night, is that too often?

TIA

Crown

Hi Ladies,

Any tips or suggestions on mixing this MSM powder for topical application? I plan to do this every night, is that too often?

TIA

Sulfur : oil
MSM : water base. Aloe vera gel (organic) is a good one. You can first dilute the MSM in the AVG, and add oil if you want. But I would do it in very small portion (1 use). In my opinion, every other night can be better, you scalp could breathe.

mrsmeredith

You have MSM that is not the sulfur that is in sulfur 8. Flowers of sulfur is the one you are referring to. For the msm you have its better internally. Topically its great in creams and lotions for sore or aching joints and muscles.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Sulfur : oil
MSM : water base. Aloe vera gel (organic) is a good one. You can first dilute the MSM in the AVG, and add oil if you want. But I would do it in very small portion (1 use). In my opinion, every other night can be better, you scalp could breathe.

This is some really good info. I do have aloe vera gel already but I'm not sure if it's organic??? It says 100% aloe vera gel on the front (Fruits of the Earth).

And that's a good point to do it in small portions.

Thank you very much for getting me started!

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
You have MSM that is not the sulfur that is in sulfur 8. Flowers of sulfur is the one you are referring to. For the msm you have its better internally. Topically its great in creams and lotions for sore or aching joints and muscles.

Uh oh, now I'm confused. I remember reading about Flowers of sulfur before but I didn't see that in the store. I'll check another store for that one. I don't think I could drink this MSM with that smell. :nono:

Thanks bunches!!

Crown

This is some really good info. I do have aloe vera gel already but I'm not sure if it's organic??? It says 100% aloe vera gel on the front (Fruits of the Earth). Just marketing! 100% gel, not 100% aloe vera gel. Think about the conservation. Go to the health food store and you will find real aloe vera gel up to 99.*%

And that's a good point to do it in small portions.

Thank you very much for getting me started!

And yes, msm is used for hair in shampoo and conditioner, so you can make a cream/lotion with it. I do it with avg and I add it in my DC.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
And yes, msm is used for hair in shampoo and conditioner, so you can make a cream/lotion with it. I do it with avg and I add it in my DC.

You're so right, they gagged me with the 100% gel thing on the front LOL. That's the way fruit juices do, especially cranberry where it says 100% juice but the other parts are apple and pear juice. Makes sense. I'll look for the pure aloe vera gel this time.

Thanks!!!