MSM Questionnaire II

comike

I like to do my research before undertaking anything. Before making a decision about whether to start taking MSM, I'm curious to know the effects those taking MSM have seen not only for hair but also for the skin. If you would, please comment on the following:

1) How much MSM (mg) do you consume daily?

2) How long have you been taking MSM?

3) What positive effects (if any) have you seen in your hair?

4) Do you feel that MSM made a significant increase in the growth of your hair or can your hair growth be attributed to a combination of MSM and other factors?

5) What positive effects (if any) have you seen in your skin?

6) What other side effects have you experienced (positive or negative)?

offthechainliz

comike said:
I like to do my research before undertaking anything. Before making a decision about whether to start taking MSM, I'm curious to know the effects those taking MSM have seen not only for hair but also for the skin. If you would, please comment on the following:

4) Do you feel that MSM made a significant increase in the growth of your hair or can your hair growth be attributed to a combination of MSM and other factors?

well, I definitely noticed a difference in hair texture. I've posted this before but I've used 3 different brands.
1 kaire which is an optiMSM it gave me way softer new growth my curl pattern also loosen but not that much. If I could afford it I probably wouldn't have went on a quest to find another brand
next, I tried spring valley brand by Wal-Mart and though my hair grew almost an inch that month it was way coarser then usual and this was right after the kaire so I was already beginning to enjoy softer new growth. this brand was very cheap but my new growth was so hard that it could barely comb my hair and as soon as the 4 week mark came I had to relax. (I didn't learn till later that Wal-Mart brand is inferior. In a 1000mg capsule only about 350 is organic sulfur the rest is just filters and preservatives
)
3rd brand I purchased trimedica. (lingusil msm) I can see the waves growing in at my hairline rather then naps. I no longer need to brush the front to get the naps to lie down, they do on their own now. all I know is that I'm very happy with this brand and I'm almost 4 weeks post and I'm not feeling like relaxer time is approaching when I comb my hair. when I feel the back I don't feel any real difference in new growth sometimes I wonder if that hair back there is even growing at all now. I now it has to be though cause that's the fastest growing part on my head.

It has also given me other benefits like added enery, I don't really sleep in class anymore , I seem to concentrate better now. so I think I was difinitely missing it from my diet.

As far as my skin I don't see any significant improvement.

MizaniMami

I take 3000mcgs daily (2 GNC tablets)

Ummmm, since about March, I think

None really, yet. I don't think it's been long enough

I think as far as growth goes Biotin has a big factor!

Non yet, though I get compliments all the time.

None just yet, Oh yeah, reaaaaally vivid dreams! They seems so real!

MizaniMami

comike said:
vivid dreams, huh?

Girl yeah, I'm talking about ready to kill somebody. Someone else had metioned this in another thread but I was thinking "Yeah, right!" But it is true girl.

I'm talking I can feel, touch, and smell. It is very weird.

PS: It may be due to the fact that I am eating something along with it. I know for me, when I eat before I go to bed I have weird dreams.

Tene

I take 7500mg plus the 200mg I get in my hair vitamin

I have been taking it for 3 months

My new growth is even softer annd shinier minus the scab hair

I think it increased my growth, not sure since I take other supplements

No change as far as my skin

No more pain in my foot

jaded_faerie

offthechainliz said:
well, I definitely noticed a difference in hair texture. I've posted this before but I've used 3 different brands.
1 kaire which is an optiMSM it gave me way softer new growth my curl pattern also loosen but not that much. If I could afford it I probably
after the kaire so I was already beginning to enjoy softer new growth. this brand was very cheap but my new growth was so hard that it could barely comb my hair and as soon as the 4 week mark came I had to relax. (I didn't learn till later that Wal-Mart brand is inferior. In a 1000mg capsule only about 350 is organic sulfur the rest is just filters and preservatives
)
3rd brand I purchased trimedica. (lingusil msm) I can see the waves growing in at my hairline rather then naps. I no longer need to brush the front to get the naps to lie down, they do on their own now. all I know is that I'm very happy with this brand and I'm almost 4 weeks post and I'm not feeling like relaxer time is approaching when I comb my hair. when I feel the back I don't feel any real difference in new growth sometimes I wonder if that hair back there is even growing at all now. I now it has to be though cause that's the fastest growing part on my head.

It has also given me other benefits like added enery, I don't really sleep in class anymore , I seem to concentrate better now. so I think I was difinitely missing it from my diet.

As far as my skin I don't see any significant improvement.

What is your doses for the trimedica?

goldensensation

I started with 500, then went to 1,000, 1,500, 3,000 and then 4,000.

It is nearing a month. I take the GNC brand.

I believe that it is too early to tell. I didnt take it just for hair. I also took it for pain because I have fibromyalgia. I can tell ya now that I have had no aches and I have more energy. :)

My hair was growing ok before I started taking MSM. I'll get back to you.

My skin was always good... BUT when I started MSM, like the first 2 or 3 days, I had a breakout.

-weight loss
-energy
-facial breakouts
-no aches

comike

That's why I like to ask those that have actually tried something what their experiences were...in reviewing several sources (magazines, internet, books), they all seem to indicate that MSM is very beneficial for the hair and skin, yet no one here so far seems to have experienced any skin improvements. Interesting.

princesmich

1) How much MSM (mg) do you consume daily? 1000 mg

2) How long have you been taking MSM? 2 months

3) What positive effects (if any) have you seen in your hair? don't see much difference

4) Do you feel that MSM made a significant increase in the growth of your hair or can your hair growth be attributed to a combination of MSM and other factors? so far I can't say i've seen a significant amount of hair growth

5) What positive effects (if any) have you seen in your skin? it's clearer, but i think it has to do with a product i started back using maybe msm had a small hand in it

6) What other side effects have you experienced (positive or negative)? it has helped my joints from aching.

*ElleB

comike said:
That's why I like to ask those that have actually tried something what their experiences were...in reviewing several sources (magazines, internet, books), they all seem to indicate that MSM is very beneficial for the hair and skin, yet no one here so far seems to have experienced any skin improvements. Interesting.

I've read posts where people have had positive effects in skin....

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=81678

This is only one of them....

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
However much is a teaspoon

Since April 19th

I guess shinier new growth

Can't really tell, too soon

Alot, I originally took it for my skin. I hardly ever break out and my skin just looks great

Stronger nails, a little more energy, some random eye pain(from not drinking enough water)

Isis

MizaniMami said:
Girl yeah, I'm talking about ready to kill somebody. Someone else had metioned this in another thread but I was thinking "Yeah, right!" But it is true girl.

I'm talking I can feel, touch, and smell. It is very weird.

PS: It may be due to the fact that I am eating something along with it. I know for me, when I eat before I go to bed I have weird dreams.
I believe it's definitely the MSM. Many of us, including me, are having vivid MSM dreams. I love them!

virgo_chinwe

Hey MizaniMami!

I think I remember seeing a response from you regarding the amount of MSM you take in a previous thread and forgot to post a reply. If you read the GNC label carefully it says 1 serving size which is 2 tablets contains 1,500mgs of MSM. The amount that each tablet contains is not 1,500 mg.

MizaniMami said:
I take 3000mcgs daily (2 GNC tablets)

Ummmm, since about March, I think

None really, yet. I don't think it's been long enough

I think as far as growth goes Biotin has a big factor!

Non yet, though I get compliments all the time.

None just yet, Oh yeah, reaaaaally vivid dreams! They seems so real!

carpediem628

I was taking the MSM pills for a month, and then switched over to the MSM powder for a week, and I noticed a few things.

At first with the pills, I was drowsy all the time and my skin started breaking out. I think that was kind of a detox phase. One good thing is my allergies practically went away. The only time I experience allergy symptoms now is when the pollen is at extremely high levels, and even then, my symptoms are mild. In the past, I would get terrible sinus headaches every single day and I had to take Advil Cold and Sinus every single day, sometimes 2-3 times a day.

Since I've been on MSM, I hardly ever get headaches, and when I do, they are mild and I am able to persevere without taking medication and they always go away on their own.

Also, since I switched to the powder, I have more energy and am no longer drowsy in the middle of the day. In fact, I have more energy than I did before taking the MSM.

But the best part is my skin. I am shedding skin like a snake (that is the rash I thought I had. It wasn't a rash at all. I was my skin regenerating) and the new skin is soft and beautiful.

I do take other supplements (the usual) plus I am trying a new lotion that I like, but I really believe its the MSM that is causing the shedding of the old, dead skin and the new lotion (Vaseline Healthy Complexion) is enhancing my new skin and keeping it baby soft. No kidding. I always had problems with dry, rough skin.

My husband loves touching my skin lately. Actually, he's starting to get on my nerves cause you know what touching leads to......

As far as my hair, it is definitely growing, but that could be a combination of the MSM and every other crazy thing I've been trying.

divinefavor

carpediem628 said:
I was taking the MSM pills for a month, and then switched over to the MSM powder for a week, and I noticed a few things.

At first with the pills, I was drowsy all the time and my skin started breaking out. I think that was kind of a detox phase. One good thing is my allergies practically went away. The only time I experience allergy symptoms now is when the pollen is at extremely high levels, and even then, my symptoms are mild. In the past, I would get terrible sinus headaches every single day and I had to take Advil Cold and Sinus every single day, sometimes 2-3 times a day.

Since I've been on MSM, I hardly ever get headaches, and when I do, they are mild and I am able to persevere without taking medication and they always go away on their own.

Also, since I switched to the powder, I have more energy and am no longer drowsy in the middle of the day. In fact, I have more energy than I did before taking the MSM.

But the best part is my skin. I am shedding skin like a snake (that is the rash I thought I had. It wasn't a rash at all. I was my skin regenerating) and the new skin is soft and beautiful.

I do take other supplements (the usual) plus I am trying a new lotion that I like, but I really believe its the MSM that is causing the shedding of the old, dead skin and the new lotion (Vaseline Healthy Complexion) is enhancing my new skin and keeping it baby soft. No kidding. I always had problems with dry, rough skin.

My husband loves touching my skin lately. Actually, he's starting to get on my nerves cause you know what touching leads to......

As far as my hair, it is definitely growing, but that could be a combination of the MSM and every other crazy thing I've been trying.

Wow, my skin is shedding as well! I thought maybe it was my skincare line I was using. The shedding just starting happening maybe two weeks ago, but it leaves my forehead and other parts of my face and body really dry. I thought it was a rash at first and then thought maybe I'm getting eczema.

What are you doing to eliminate the dry skin until it runs its course?

Last edited:

carpediem628

divinefavor said:
Wow, my skin is shedding as well! I thought maybe it was my skincare line I was using. The shedding just starting happening maybe two weeks ago, but it leaves my forehead and other parts of my face and by really jar. I thought it was a rash at first and then thought maybe I'm getting eczema.

What are you doing to eliminate the dry skin until it runs its course?

Divine - I try to slough it off in the shower with scrubbing salts, but you can't do it too often because your skin will become sensitive and sore. For your face, try a face scrub 1-2x a week. Most importantly, moisturize with a rich lotion. As I mentioned earlier, Vaseline Healthy Complexion is doing wonders on my skin. For my face, I apply pure vitamin E oil a couple of times a week, but be careful because your face can become oily. It's better to do it at night.

divinefavor

carpediem628 said:
Divine - I try to slough it off in the shower with scrubbing salts, but you can't do it too often because your skin will become sensitive and sore. For your face, try a face scrub 1-2x a week. Most importantly, moisturize with a rich lotion. As I mentioned earlier, Vaseline Healthy Complexion is doing wonders on my skin. For my face, I apply pure vitamin E oil a couple of times a week, but be careful because your face can become oily. It's better to do it at night.

Thanks girl, for the tips!!!

divinefavor

carpediem628 said:
By the way, Divine, God truly is faithful. I love your quote.

Thanks! Yes He is!!! I have to remind myself of that everyday, especially on days when things aren't going well. :)

carpediem628

divinefavor said:
Thanks! Yes He is!!! I have to remind myself of that everyday, especially on days when things aren't going well. :)

Actually, today was one of those days for me so it was good that I saw your quote. God is good that way. Always gives you what you need when you need it.

BTW, what is that fruit drink you are advertising? I went to the website and it sounds good. I actually read that the acai berry was one of the most nutritious fruits on the earth. (I read this on Oprah's website from the Perricone guy that claims to have the secret to ultimate health).

Do you drink it? If so, what is your experience with it?

divinefavor

carpediem628 said:
Actually, today was one of those days for me so it was good that I saw your quote. God is good that way. Always gives you what you need when you need it.

BTW, what is that fruit drink you are advertising? I went to the website and it sounds good. I actually read that the acai berry was one of the most nutritious fruits on the earth. (I read this on Oprah's website from the Perricone guy that claims to have the secret to ultimate health).

Do you drink it? If so, what is your experience with it?

The juice is Fruta Vida. I haven't taken the juice in a couple months, because I haven't been selling it. I've been focusing my energies in another business. The juice really helped with menstrual cramps (for that reason alone I may decide to sell it and use it again :lachen: ), stronger nails, some weight loss, more vibrant complexion.

HoneyDew

comike said:

There is a thread in the skin care forum about MSM.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=77778

EishBuhgeish

Isis said:
I believe it's definitely the MSM. Many of us, including me, are having vivid MSM dreams. I love them!

Wow, so have I, but then again, I've always had more vivid dreams. As of late, I've been able to recall them all, every last thing to the detail. I really like it...

gn1g

1) How much MSM (mg) do you consume daily?Just reduced to one teaspoons a day

2) How long have you been taking MSM? I was taking it off and on but I switched brands and have been taking it for about 3 weeks

3) What positive effects (if any) have you seen in your hair? It is much shiner and not as kinky

4) Do you feel that MSM made a significant increase in the growth of your hair or can your hair growth be attributed to a combination of MSM and other factors? no

5) What positive effects (if any) have you seen in your skin? My skin absolutely glows, it's clearer and lighter.

6) What other side effects have you experienced (positive or negative)? Very detailed and vivid dreams Lots of bloating and gas.