MSM Ratings

Tara

Just thought I'd give everyone an update on certain MSM brands that I've tried, and maybe you could do the same, so that way, next time we are out shopping, we can pick good ones without all the trial and error.

Jarrows Formula

Cost: Sorry I totally forgot, but I got it at whole foods

Water Test: Totally failed. Both the capsule floated, and then I just dumped the powder in, it floated as well.

EffectivenessI still had some soreness from working out etc. I can't say that I noticed an improved growth rate to be honest. I had been taking these for about 3-4 months. They come in 750mg/100 capsules, and I was taking a little over 5,000 mg.

I didn't like this one because like I said I noticed no real improvement with Muscle or Joint soreness, nails did not improve and nothing major that I could tell with the hair.

The next one that I am retrying is "Now" brand MSM. It is powder form and passed the water test with no problem. I know that it takes about 4-6 weeks to see any results with MSM so I'm curious to see how my hair fairs at the end of January with consistant use.

Also curious to see how it helps with my after workout sorness. I know that when I took this before (but was inconsistant) I was NEVER sore after a work out, and I attribute that to the MSM because I was working hard enough.

Any good reveiws of MSM brands you like?

Please tell the name, the amount that was effective for you, and what the results were that made you think it was effective /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Ladies! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Monicurl

Great post idea!

Brand: Sam's Club Member's Mark

Cost: $13.99 for a bottle 500 count of 1000mg

Water Test: Passed with flying color. It sank and began to dissovle immediately and left the water almost clear (meaning no filler)

Effectiveness: Although I take MSM for arthritis pain, it's ability to help with my hair growth, health, strength and texture is dramatic. At 2 pills a day for 4 months, my hair grew so fast my scalp hurt and I was getting just over an inch per month. I stopped the pills for about 3 months while my docs tried some other medicines for my back, but my hair growth didn't slow down until the end of the first month that I was off of it. So, the effects do seem to linger in your system for at least 30 days after taking it.
The texture of my new growth was still nappy, but a softer, less wiry version with more waves than coils. My strand size also increased a bit so that it was bigger around. The new growth was also shinier, seemed to hold moisture better and just felt better to the touch (not so dried out and parched).
It also totally eliminated my arthritis pain and enabled me to start working out each morning and to that end, I've lost 30 pounds, so maybe I can add weight loss to that as well /images/graemlins/smile.gif. In fact, MSM, for me makes my workout recovery shorter, so I can work out harder and not feel the effects like I used to. Muscle strains stop hurting after about 24 hours and I don't get that 3rd day lactic acid buildup that maked you feel like you've been hit my a Mac truck. I'd like to say it also helped with the flu, but I have been eating healthier overall, so that may have had more to do with it.

Downside: Breakouts! But after increasing my water intake, they seemed to stop. I also got skipped periods, but for me that is a good thing since I also battle endometriosis and refused Depo Lupron or continuous BCs as therapy. Increased facial hair growth--eeek!-- but I am learning to like the feel of hot wax --not! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As a side note, I WISH doctors would investigate MSM because I think they would find it amazing for their patients for pain control.

Tara

These are the times I wish Jade was here, LOL! I don't want to explain it all wrong.

Basically, it's kind of the same with hair products and shampoo's. Some cheap shampoo's may work terrific for one person, and an expensive shampoo could be terrible. So with that said, I can't say that Flintstone's wouldn't work for someone because everyone is different.

BUT....

In the case of vitamins however, some vitamins have way to many "filler" type ingredients which cuts into the absorbtion. If your body can't fully utilize the supplement, then you've wasted money in the end. How your body metabolizes vitamins varies according to each individual. But for products like MSM which should be as PURE as possible, getting the wrong brand can mean the difference between results, and no results....or worse getting sick from all the "extra" ingredients.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tara

MONICURL!!

(waving!!) Girl, great review!! Congratulations on the weight loss by the way!! That is awesome. Also the recovery time, I'm really looking forward to that because on the nights when I DO roller blade, I always come back feeling BROKEN the next morning LOL!

I was going to ask you, this Brand, when you check the ingredients, I know it says MSM. I wanted to find out does it have a listing called "Other Ingredients:" If so can you tell me what they are?

I notice the common thing in the ones I have that "didn't pass the water test, or showed no results" have other ingredients such as:

Rice Flour being listed first, magnesium stearate, Silica used as a flow agent, and Microcrystaline Cellulose.

I'm wondering if these "extras" cause it to float, and thereby make it ineffective.

Also, when I'm done with my powder, I want to take pills, it would be easier for me, so I want to know what to look for.

Tanx /images/graemlins/grin.gif

edited to add: The closet Sam's Club is about 2 hours away /images/graemlins/frown.gif

zoya_j

I also got skipped periods, but for me that is a good thing since I also battle endometriosis and refused Depo Lupron or continuous BCs as therapy.

I started to experience this too. My period is usually due around the 5-7. Around the 2nd I started spotting. I got scared because I never spot. I laid off all vitamins after that and Friday it came. The only thing was I suffered headaches because I wasn't taking them(MSM). I know because when I started again the headaches stopped. This is my 3rd week on MSM. I haven't noticed anything aside from nail growth. I used to paint my nails every two weeks and they would last now after five days I have to paint them again. This could be from the other vits I'm taking and I've always had long fast-growing nails.

I just did the water test,it failed. I put the capsule in cold water and it floated. I took it apart and the powder sunk the veg cap floated and nothing dissolved. The brand is TREE of LIFE 1000mg MSM. Other ingredients listed are:
Capsule (vegetable source), magnesium stearate (vegetable source),stearic acid(vegetable source)

I'll continue to take this until they run out and see how it goes. Maybe I'll try the Sam's club brand. Anybody know where I can buy it online?

/images/graemlins/drunk.gifSlowly, but surely

ngaa

Holland and Barret

Cost: £13.99 for 120 capsules which each contain 750mg

Water Test: wen i opened the capsule it totally floated but then i read the side of the box and is sed that of the 750mg only 250 was actually msm

Effectiveness: measured my hair on sunday and am delighted to report that i had an inch in 6weeks
which is more than usual for me....and it may not be the onyl thing but i cant be sure how much its working since i started all my vits at the same time

side effects : happy to say, no breakouts our headaches and my hair curl pattern has become a lot loser and stronger hair (mite be the b5 tho )

Tara

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
ngaa said:
Holland and Barret

Cost: £13.99 for 120 capsules which each contain 750mg

Water Test: wen i opened the capsule it totally floated but then i read the side of the box and is sed that of the 750mg only 250 was actually msm

Effectiveness: measured my hair on sunday and am delighted to report that i had an inch in 6weeks
which is more than usual for me....and it may not be the onyl thing but i cant be sure how much its working since i started all my vits at the same time

side effects : happy to say, no breakouts our headaches and my hair curl pattern has become a lot loser and stronger hair (mite be the b5 tho )

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, I just had to jump in and say CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Girl, you have to tell us about these things!!

I am SO happy for you, and that keeps me motivated because I just got back on my routine.

Keep it up girl!! YAY NGAA!!

Nova

Monicurl:

Thanks for the tip about the Sam's Club MSM brand. As far as my hair goes, it seems to be growing in somewhat softer, and appears to be growing. But I started taking MSM along with Glucosamine Sulfate for arthritis in my knee. Glousamine Sulfate wasn't working, so I read about this MSM and added it to my daily regime (I take it twice daily; a.m. &amp; p.m.). No more arthritic pain &amp; swelling!

Right now I'm using NSI Superior 1,000/mg MSM capsules. I ordered this bottle where I orderd my ELITE Protein Tablets. It was inexpensive, but I can't remember the price off-hand. However, I just did the water test. The capsule just floated on top of the water. I opened it up and poured the powder in the water. The majority of it sunk to the bottom immediately. A small portion stayed on top. So this means I have an inferior brand?

Always something!!! Oh well, at least I have no problems with my knee.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
((((( ngaa ))))))

You've given me some inspiration there, good job!!
-----------------------------------------------------------

CurlyMoo

I just bought some MSM today.

Brand: Safeway Select

Dosage: 1500mg, 100 tablets

Ingredients: Methylsulfonylmethane, Cellulose, Silicon Dioxide, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Sterate.

Water Test: Dropped like a stone to the bottom of a stall glass of cold water.

I don't know much about the water test, just going by the posts I see here. Is it a good thing that is dropped to the bottom or should it float?

This is my first experience with MSM. Ladies please post your experience and rate your brands. Thanks