MSM Roll Call

Isis

ekomba said:
1. How much MSM are you taking?
i take 12,000mg per day

7. What side effects/results have you gotten from taking MSM?
I ve gotten faster hair growth, a change in hair texture, i m natural 4b but now i have 4a curls and ringlets when my hair is wet and my hair never had curls prior to msm and vits. I also notice that when i take 12,000mg all my natural hair even the ends not only the roots get straighter and cannot hold my twists like before so sometimes i lay off the msm else all the hair will get too straight. The texture has changed tremendously. I still consider myself a 4 b but now i think it resembles more a 4a with the ringlets when wet (check my wet pix in fotki). I also notice my hair is way softer, hardly tangles and dont need a lot of things, dont need poo and that my growth cycle is extended.The hair seems longer in shorter periods ( it could also be the regimen so i dunno) but there s a difference when i dont use msm though it makes my hair softer.
This might explain what's happening to my hair. About 2-3 weeks or so after I started MSM on March 1, I noticed my braidouts have a hard time lasting or keeping its waves. By the end of the day, it's just slightly wavy and I haven't changed my regimen. I never thought about related it to MSM though. I can easily see how much looser my new growth is since it's just coming out of my scalp but how can MSM affect the texture of the length and ends? Does anyone know?
BTW, congratulations on your faster hair growth!

princesmich

1000 mg
2. Do you plan to up your dosage?

no no no
3. Are you taking it with anything special? (i.e. orange juice, ester C, etc)

water
4. How much water do you drink in conjunction with taking MSM?

aprox. 32 oz per day
5. what form of MSM are you taking? (powder, crystals, capsule, etc)

powder
6. What brand of MSM are you taking?

vitamin shoppe brand

none
8. Are you taking any other vitamins or supplements?

yes, hair supplements
9. What was your original reason for starting MSM?

hair, but it's now for my joints, I really havn't seen a tremendous difference in my hair, but my joints are getting better.

princesmich

divinefavor said:
I am currently taking 6,000mg (1 tsp) per day. I started off with 1/4 tsp, then 1/2 tsp and now 1tsp.
I plan to stop where I am. I thik that 6,000mg is just right for me.
I mix in water and drink while I'm eating breakfast
I drink about 70-90 oz. of water per day.
5. What form of MSM are you taking? (powder, crystals, capsule, etc)
Powder
I use Puritan's Pride...when my bottle is done, I may try the Trimedica or Whole Foods brand.
I really didn't have many side effects. I think at the very beginning I was a little more tired than normal, one bump here and there, runny nose. The side effects only last a few days. The results I've seen so far is a little weight loss, more energy, softer new growth, a little more shine to my hair (which could be attributed to the silica that is in this brand of MSM) healthier looking skin (glow, more taut, smaller pores) ETA: It just dawned on me after reading some of the other posts, that I haven't had sinus problems this spring season which is a definite plus!
Multivitamin and calcium pills. I am starting back up today with my 1tbsp daily of flaxseed oil.

My main reason was for internal health, joint pain (especially during working out). The softer new growth and healthier skin are added benefits.
i have noticed some weight loss as well

Amina

A teaspoon a day
Yes.
MSM and Ester-C in Cranberry-Grape Juice.
Right now 1 liter of water and will increase when I increase my MSM dosage.
Powder
Lignisul
Side effect: I had gotten a headache when I up my dosage (Probably didn't let my body adjust to it). When I lower it, my headaches went away. I also broke out.
Results: I have noticed that my skin does seem to be looking better. I haven't really noticed anything with my hair yet. And I don't know abou joint pains since I never had any to begin with.

Biotin, cod liver oil, multivitamin.

Mostly for my skin. If my hair begins to loosen up I think I just might stop taking MSM.

EishBuhgeish

2,000 mgc a day

Perhaps....

Applesauce (MSM is really really bitter) & water to wash it all down.

I dont know, but I know its less than what I SHOULD be drinking

Powder

Trimedica Pure MSM

No, not that I know of.

Results: I have noticed that my skin seems more taut and glowy (is that word??)

Biotin-2000 mgcs and B-5 caplets 1,000 mgcs

Trying to whip my hair back in to shape. I was curious to see what my new growth would look like.

ekomba

Isis said:
This might explain what's happening to my hair. About 2-3 weeks or so after I started MSM on March 1, I noticed my braidouts have a hard time lasting or keeping its waves. By the end of the day, it's just slightly wavy and I haven't changed my regimen. I never thought about related it to MSM though. I can easily see how much looser my new growth is since it's just coming out of my scalp but how can MSM affect the texture of the length and ends? Does anyone know?
BTW, congratulations on your faster hair growth!

Thanks Isis:p but yesssssss i noticed the more msm i take especially high doses and constantly the less my hair curls and has kinks meaning that my twists wont hold at all. i like when it still has kinks in it so i dont need gel to hold the twists. So lately i lay off the msm sometimes for long periods cause i only live off of twists and twistouts and i hate it when the hair has no shape and just stay straight and i cant mold it. It did not bother me when i used to be in cornrows but now that only twist i notice the msm not only affect the nappy roots but the whole strand and makes it straight when you take high doses for a long time. And i been taking msm for at least 8-9months now at high doses:perplexed i may lower the dose so it s not too straight

Last edited:

Amina

ekomba said:
Thanks Isis:p but yesssssss i noticed the more msm i take especially high doses and constantly the less my hair curls and has kinks meaning that my twists wont hold at all. i like when it still has kinks in it so i dont need gel to hold the twists. So lately i lay off the msm sometimes for long periods cause i only live off of twists and twistouts and i hate it when the hair has no shape and just stay straight and i cant mold it. It did not bother me when i used to be in cornrows but now that only twist i notice the msm not only affect the nappy roots but the whole strand and makes it straight when you take high doses for a long time. And i been taking msm for at least 8-9months now at high doses:perplexed i may lower the dose so it s not too straight

Wait do you mean the WHOLE strain??? Like even the ends???? I am not soo sure I want to continue with MSM. I love my nappy hair.:perplexed :perplexed

ekomba

Amina said:
Wait do you mean the WHOLE strain??? Like even the ends???? I am not soo sure I want to continue with MSM. I love my nappy hair.:perplexed :perplexed

Hey Amina yes the whole whole strand everything. i could not even do my fro anymore it would just stay in the air straight pix http://public.fotki.com/ekomba/ekomba-2/img_3936.html
http://public.fotki.com/ekomba/ekomba-2/img_3941.html (it would still be nappy but like a nappy straight that s why i stopped taking too high doses and sometimes navigate around 9000mg)
only happens when you take high doses like me 12,000mg but if you take a lower dose it just relax it a little bit, make it more curly or softer but it does relax the curl pattern slightly.In my case from 4b to 4a in many parts, the front stay straight but the back curls. i use the msm irregularly now cause i dont want the hair to be too straight but it could be a good alternative if you just want easy to detangle hair or as an alternative to perming because once when i was doing 20,000mg my natural hair felt just like my old relaxed hair!!!!! but use lower doses 3000mg should be good;)

Last edited:

ekomba

senimoni said:
How long before you notice the change in hair texture?

Hey Senimoni me i noticed it like 2-3 months after; first my fro used to be just a small fro no curls nothing, round,shapely and good then 2-3 months after i noticed it had curls kinda http://public.fotki.com/ekomba/ekomba-2/03photo_3.html

then it went straight like that when i upped to 20 000mg
http://public.fotki.com/ekomba/ekomba-2/img_3941.html (in this pix my natural hair felt just like blow dried relaxed hair)
http://public.fotki.com/ekomba/ekomba-2/img_3936.html

and now that i use less msm like once every 2 days and sometimes not for a week and more around 6000 to 9000mg or sometimes up to 12 000mg but not often my hair is now like a 4b tending more to 4a but the kinks are finally back but they form ringlets when wet http://public.fotki.com/ekomba/2006_den1_ekomba/16photo_16.html
and i can now sport a fro again after 10 months !!!
http://public.fotki.com/ekomba/2006_den1_ekomba/pict0536.html
So i use the msm now mostly to soften my hair and faster growth but i use it like straight for 3 days then stop then continue again. if i see my hair cant hold twists then i lay it off for a while and restart with a low dose but the lowest dose i had was 3000mg i never take less than that ;)

Last edited:

Isis

ekomba said:
This is a very interesting finding Ekomba, thank you for sharing it and thanks for the hair pics. I don't think I'll ever take that much MSM (20,000 mg) at once but it's very interesting to know that the higher the dosage, the straighter the hair and that our texture can be controlled by our dosage.

My "relaxed" braidout from only 3000 mg daily looks good and shows more length but I do miss the deeper waves. I'm not going to reduce my dosage though, I'll see what happens as time goes by. I'm sure there are many hairstyling benefits from these changes I can learn about.:)

ekomba

Isis said:
This is a very interesting finding Ekomba, thank you for sharing it and thanks for the hair pics. I don't think I'll ever take that much MSM (20,000 mg) at once but it's very interesting to know that the higher the dosage, the straighter the hair and that our texture can be controlled by our dosage.

My "relaxed" braidout from only 3000 mg daily looks good and shows more length but I do miss the deeper waves. I'm not going to reduce my dosage though, I'll see what happens as time goes by. I'm sure there are many hairstyling benefits from these changes I can learn about.:)

You welcome Isis yes the benefits are so great!: my hair does not cause me any problems at all, easy to care for, hardly tangles, i hardly shed when i wash my hair once a week(that one right there is unbelievable:eek: )i no longer have knots, it does not hurt to separate my hair when i m using msm regularly compared to when i dont use it (so you can play around with your dosage). And it s very interesting cause i notice that not only the whole strand becomes straight but the whole strand can go back to kinks but kinda curly once you lower the dosage. :confused: (the funny part is that i did not cut nothing so it s funny to see that whole strand alter and go from nappy to curly to straight and back to kinky lol) when i stop it becomes slighty harder but the hair still curls when wet in the back. that s really weird cause in that pix with the straight hair it was impossible to do braidouts and twists it would unravel:eek: now that i m using 12 000mg and less i m back to my kinks and loving it:D

Last edited:

Isis

ekomba said:
You welcome Isis yes the benefits are so great!: my hair does not cause me any problems at all, easy to care for, hardly tangles, i hardly shed when i wash my hair once a week(that one right there is unbelievable:eek: )i no longer have knots, it does not hurt to separate my hair when i m using msm regularly compared to when i dont use it (so you can play around with your dosage). And it s very interesting cause i notice that not only the whole strand becomes straight but the whole strand can go back to kinks but kinda curly once you lower the dosage. :confused: (the funny part is that i did not cut nothing so it s funny to see that whole strand alter and go from nappy to curly to straight and back to kinky lol) when i stop it becomes slighty harder but the hair still curls when wet in the back. that s really weird cause in that pix with the straight hair it was impossible to do braidouts and twists it would unravel:eek: now that i m using 12 000mg and less i m back to my kinks and loving it:D
Thank you Ekomba for sharing the benefits and details. My hair is easy to care for too with no tangling. That MSM can alter the whole strand of hair is totally amazing to me. This has many implications. :scratchch

Divine Inspiration

Ok, I've noticed this loosening/softening of new growth as well. The past 2 or 3 weeks, detangling has been an absolute BREEZE, and I figured it was just the combo of products or my hair being in a good mood. :lol: But last night, I picked one of my shed hairs up to observe it closely, and the curl pattern at the root was MUCH looser than the curl pattern moving closer to the relaxed hair (before MSM). My hair is natural coily with few naps so the loosening has created soft waves which I love. I didn't have to use as much product during my last poo/DC, and like I said, detangling wasn't nearly the fight it usually is with practically 10 months of new growth. I'm loving all the effects of MSM...gorgeous skin, easier to manage hair, and more energy!! :woot:

Go MSM!!! :clap:

esoterica

looks like ekomba is the only one taking over 10g. i think i'll have to join her as soon as i get some new powder.

Amina

jadedcynicism said:
looks like ekomba is the only one taking over 10g. i think i'll have to join her as soon as i get some new powder.

I would up my dose but I am too afraid that I might lose my curls.

esoterica

Amina said:
I would up my dose but I am too afraid that I might lose my curls.
i imagine it would take quite a long time for that to start happening. several months at least. i have 4a/b hair and bits of 3 at the crown. maybe MSM can make it all one even texture.

Amina

jadedcynicism said:
i imagine it would take quite a long time for that to start happening. several months at least. i have 4a/b hair and bits of 3 at the crown. maybe MSM can make it all one even texture.

I guess it could take several months but I just don't want to find out :lol:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
2000 mg per day
yes to 4000mg
no just water
not nearly enough :look:
capsule
Jarrow (whole foods)
I eliminate more often...can't tell any difference with my hair yet...my co-workers commented that my skin looks lighter :confused:
Yes (listed in my siggy)
hair benefits

MissFallon

1. How much MSM are you taking? 4000 mg
2. Do you plan to up your dosage? no
3. Are you taking it with anything special? (i.e. orange juice, ester C, etc) Carrot Juice
4. How much water do you drink in conjunction with taking MSM? approx 50 oz a day
5. What form of MSM are you taking? (powder, crystals, capsule, etc) Powder
6. What brand of MSM are you taking? Some kind that I purchased from Vitamin Shoppe
7. What side effects/results have you gotten from taking MSM? Didn't notice anything with my hair, maybe the ng is softer. But it def. helped with the pain in my joints.
8. Are you taking any other vitamins or supplements? GNC UltraNourishHair, Biotin 5mg.
9. What was your original reason for starting MSM? My hair, but now i mainly take it for the pain in my joints (legs)

crlsweetie912

1500 mg

Maybe 3000 mg

No, just water

at least 80 oz a day

Pill

Spring Valley (walmart brand)

I just started, so a little breakout here and there, nothing major

Biotin

Hair/skin benefit
OT I have carpal tunnel, and I have noticed that my pain in my wrist is less severe and I can deal with it instead of popping a tylenol/advil.

I am looking forward to seeing the other benefits you ladies mentioned. I have only been taking this consistently for about 2 weeks. I also want to take the powder/crystal form eventually.

Imani

1. How much MSM are you taking? 1000mg
2. Do you plan to up your dosage? yes to 1500, I'm scared to go past that tho!
3. Are you taking it with anything special? (i.e. orange juice, ester C, etc) No. Altho i sometimes take it w/OJ bc it makes swallowing all my supplements easier
4. How much water do you drink in conjunction with taking MSM? Not nearly as much as i should, but i'm about to start! Putting myself on a water challenge.
5. What form of MSM are you taking? (powder, crystals, capsule, etc) Capsule
6. What brand of MSM are you taking? Vitamin Shoppe brand
7. What side effects/results have you gotten from taking MSM?My hair seems to be growing faster. I usu get about 1/2 inch in 6 weeks, now i'm at about at an inch in six weeks-LOVING IT! And if i get consistent, i think it could be even better. However, this could be also due to my multivitamin and the fact that i just stopped birth control pills after 5 years or good practices i've picked up here. So, its really kinda hard to isolate exactly what is related to the MSM. And like most other people on here, my 4b new growth has softened and straightened out a little (trust, it is still QUITE coarse and kinky tho)
8. Are you taking any other vitamins or supplements? Nature's Plus Source of Life Multi-Vitamin & Mineral Supplement, 2mg Vitamin Shoppe Biotin capsules
9. What was your original reason for starting MSM? Pure vanity- hair!

I'm a newbie, just wanna say i love this site!!! So many beautiful and encouraging sistas on this board! Before i stumbled on here, i had given up on my hair, but now i know it can be done. :D

Luvableboo

1. How much MSM are you taking?I am currently taking 3000mg at night
2. Do you plan to up your dosage?not sure have to get used to the dose I am on now.
3. Are you taking it with anything special? (i.e. orange juice, ester C, etc)I am taking it with vitamin c 1000 mg pills
4. How much water do you drink in conjunction with taking MSM?I have started to drink about four litres of water a day:eek: because I would feel really ill so I had to up my intake!!
5. What form of MSM are you taking? (powder, crystals, capsule, etc)I am taking the pill form.
6. What brand of MSM are you taking? Webber Naturals Joint Support MSM
7. What side effects/results have you gotten from taking MSM?Since taking MSM I have noticed that the my curl pattern has loosened significantly. My skin has a bit of a glow to it!!! Also the joint pain has almost disappeared. My energy levels seem to increase with on going use.. praise be:eek: ... No complaints there!!:grin:
*One A Day Multivitamin
*Vitamin C 2000 mg
*Biotin 7.5 mg planning on increasing to 10 mg!!!
*Flax seed Oil 1 Tablespoon
* Iron pill when needed

The original reason I started taking MSM was for the hair benefits. As I got older my hair seemed to grow in a coarser texture and it was hell.

OneInAMillion

bumping...this thread is excellent! I have some questions that I thought I'd run by the MSM experts.

Question: I used to take MSM for about 4 months faithfully last summer/fall. I fell off, but I want to jump back on. I used to take 3000mg, but I was wondering if I should jump right into 5000mg, or gradually work up? Also, do you notice better effects by slowing increasing the dosage?

Just curious :)

divinefavor

OneInAMillion said:
bumping...this thread is excellent! I have some questions that I thought I'd run by the MSM experts.

Question: I used to take MSM for about 4 months faithfully last summer/fall. I fell off, but I want to jump back on. I used to take 3000mg, but I was wondering if I should jump right into 5000mg, or gradually work up? Also, do you notice better effects by slowing increasing the dosage?

Just curious :)

I would suggest slowly working your way up to the 5000 mg.

divinefavor

Luvableboo said:
1. How much MSM are you taking?I am currently taking 3000mg at night
[/COLOR]

Any particular reason why you take yours at night as opposed to day time? Are the effects better? Please advise. :)

zorra

1. How much MSM are you taking?--- two table spoons
2. Do you plan to up your dosage?--- no
3. Are you taking it with anything special? (i.e. orange juice, ester C, etc)---vitaminc is already in it
4. How much water do you drink in conjunction with taking MSM?---3 pints a day
5. What form of MSM are you taking? (powder, crystals, capsule, etc)---powder
6. What brand of MSM are you taking?---Puritans Pride
7. What side effects/results have you gotten from taking MSM?---in the beginning I had a heavy period, but it stop and now I have gotten softer texture hair and less joint pain
8. Are you taking any other vitamins or supplements?---biotin, l-cysteine, and l-methonine
9. What was your original reason for starting MSM?--for hair and joints