MSM Users

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I tried to take MSM for my hair years ago. I took it with water and it literally felt like it made my kidneys burn.:couchfire::spike: I used it maybe 3 times before I tossed it. That was many years ago when I first joined LHCF. I just couldn't use it.

Why I Went Back to MSM:
Fast forward to 2021. I have terrible melasma on my face. Taking MSM has been specifically mentioned for addressing melasma. MSM breaks down the hyper pigmented discoloration in the skin. The darkness is housed in the macule, or discolored component that holds the darkened melanin. The effective dose is 4,000 mg per day, based upon this person’s practical experience that she documented in a book entitled, " Melasma - Is this the Clear Solution?" by Vanessa Wild.

Breaks Down Darkness in Macule :
It really is working to lighten my melasma. It is super slow but I can see a difference since January 21st, 2021. I first started noticing the difference in my skin in mid March 2021.

Cutting the Nasty Taste to be Palatable:
MSM tastes unbearably nasty to me. But I found it more palatable by putting in a sugary tasty citrus nectar drink, as little as possible. That’s about 1/4 cup of the citrus juice/ liquid. You do not need a whole cup. Then I add in my 2000 mg of vitamin c powder. Put in just enough juice to liquify the MSM and Vitamin C concoction. Gulp it down. Surprisingly, the bitter vitamin C powder cuts the taste and makes the taste as a whole seem less bitter, 'for me'. I use Solaray brand Vitamin C Powder 5000 mg. It's to what I had access. I follow up with a glass of water. It's still nasty tasting but less so.

Importance of Mixing with Glucose or Fat for Cell Uptake:
I think it is more effective to take it with some juice than water. I was taking with a soft cottage cheese like substance that was fatty. But that proved to be too cumbersome and I quit. Because my focus was on addressing this melasma on my face I had to find another way to be more consistent. The cheap juice works fine.

Use/Measure with a 1000 mg Spoon if Possible:
If you can get your hands on one, buy a 1000 mg scooper so you know exactly how much you are using. It will ensure you are taking what you believe you are taking and you can modify your amounts, up or down, to reach the optimum dosage for your body and for the resolution or your challenges.

Timeline:
February 27th - Started using 1000 mg MSM with soft cheese.
March 17th -Increased MSM from 1,000 mg per day to 2,000 mg per day and started mixing with cheap juice.
March 20th - Increased MSM from 2,000 mg per day to 4,000 mg per day (Goal was to get to minimum quantity of MSM which has been shown to impact melasma. That amount was 4,000 mg per day.)

Results for Hair:
I started taking this around February 27th, 2021. I started noticing the length drops in April 2021. I have hair strands dropping to lengths that are just above where the pelvic mound starts on my body. That's well below hip length for me. My hair barely touched where the buttocks split. Now, my hair has dropped in length past that point as well. I've not had hair this long before. Lastly, in my current bathroom, I take photos with my behind pressed up against the sink, with my back to the mirror. The longest parts of my hair would dangle above the sink a few to a couple of inches above the sink when I pulled it down my back to measure the length. Now, my [some of my hair strands] hair touches the sink. I noticed this newer drop in length yesterday, May 12th, 2021. It was not that length prior to January 2021. It has to be the MSM.

Last edited:

Chicoro

The thing I need now is collagen powder to add to my MSM/Vit C mixture. I think I will get much better results with this amazing combination.

This is the one I am thinking about purchasing:

View attachment 472023

Along with this flavored one:

View attachment 472025

@Aggie,

I heard that the best collagen, if one can choose, is Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides. The people who talk about it are working on their skin. They are looking for what impacts the beauty of their skin. Within this Vital brand, people say the marine collage is the better of the two. I've tried neither. But I have ordered the one pictured below.
1620898674269.png

blessedandfavoured

@Aggie,

I heard that the best collagen, if one can choose, is Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides. The people who talk about it are working on their skin. They are looking for what impacts the beauty of their skin. Within this Vital brand, people say the marine collage is the better of the two. I've tried neither. But I have ordered the one pictured below.
View attachment 472037
The Original has a better amino acid profile than the Marine.

Original:

Marine:

snoop

I just got a container of Kala Health MSM flakes yesterday. It has the best reviews on the Canadian a.m.azon store. I've tried two brands before this. One thing that I noticed was that these flakes dissolved instantly in hot water. My other powders didn't. In fact, one of the other brands said that it could take up to 20 minutes. I have high hopes for this brand since many of the reviewers claimed that it was "powerful" and some said it was more so than other brands that they've tried.

@Chicoro I looked at the company website last night and they have flavoured powders. I'm not sure if these are available in France, but it might be worth looking into.
https://msmpure.com/shop/msm-powder-coarse-flakes/

It's been over a year and haven't noticed any of the amazing growth that people have talked about. So either my natural levels are fine or my hair routine leaves room for much improvement. I do not deny that the latter is possible. In any case, I've also been using it topically in my daily spritz as well as in a growth serum that I created specifically to grow my edges. Even though it's been quite slow, I finally have hair along my hairline again! It isn't long, but it's no longer skin with a few hairs poking through. Along with that, I'm using the EO blend that was floating on here, so again, I don't know if it's the MSM or the EOs since I know that the blend works well on it's own.

Chicoro

The Original has a better amino acid profile than the Marine.

Original:

@blessedandfavoured,

Ooo, thank you! I feel even better about my choice now. I think I bought the bovine collagen.

I checked my iHerb order. Sigh... I ordered the marine collagen. Next time I’ll get the bovine collagen.
I have an amino acid product here. I’ll start to supplement with that maybe.

Last edited:

Chicoro

I just got a container of Kala Health MSM flakes yesterday. It has the best reviews on the Canadian a.m.azon store. I've tried two brands before this. One thing that I noticed was that these flakes dissolved instantly in hot water. My other powders didn't. In fact, one of the other brands said that it could take up to 20 minutes. I have high hopes for this brand since many of the reviewers claimed that it was "powerful" and some said it was more so than other brands that they've tried.

@Chicoro I looked at the company website last night and they have flavoured powders. I'm not sure if these are available in France, but it might be worth looking into.
https://msmpure.com/shop/msm-powder-coarse-flakes/

It's been over a year and haven't noticed any of the amazing growth that people have talked about. So either my natural levels are fine or my hair routine leaves room for much improvement. I do not deny that the latter is possible. In any case, I've also been using it topically in my daily spritz as well as in a growth serum that I created specifically to grow my edges. Even though it's been quite slow, I finally have hair along my hairline again! It isn't long, but it's no longer skin with a few hairs poking through. Along with that, I'm using the EO blend that was floating on here, so again, I don't know if it's the MSM or the EOs since I know that the blend works well on it's own.

@snoop,
How much of the powder do you take internally, in terms of milligrams per day? Do you take it one time per day or 2 times per day? Do you take the MSM powder in conjunction with a vitamin C powder? Also, I found that it functions optimally in something other than water. The cells gobble up glucose. If the powder is mixed in with that, it may be more readily used by the cells.

If you are simply taking MSM in water, I'm not sure that is the optimal way to take it for it to be impactful on afro textured hair and in melanin rich skin.

Thank you. Of course ain't nobody got that brand in France. Amazon UK may have it. But, I'm too cheap to pay for the extra shipping that may entail.

I think what is important is the OptiMSM component. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. My current brand does not have that either. Thus, the next time around I am going to look for the OptiMSM. One lady I follow for skin did emphasize to look for the OptiMSM mark. Based upon you and her, I will do that next time. Thank you for thinking of me!

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
I started taking Vital Proteins a few months ago. It REALLY helped with my joint and backpain but I wasn't sure about my hair. Switched back over to a Japanese one (it's tasteless) which does more for my skin, but we'll see.

Started taking MSM in a protein drink with non-dairy milk, can't taste it at all and doesn't give me problems, unlike taking it with water. Not taking MSM regularly but trying.

snoop

@snoop,
How much of the powder do you take internally, in terms of milligrams per day? Do you take it one time per day or 2 times per day? Do you take the MSM powder in conjunction with a vitamin C powder? Also, I found that it functions optimally in something other than water. The cells gobble up glucose. If the powder is mixed in with that, it may be more readily used by the cells.

If you are simply taking MSM in water, I'm not sure that is the optimal way to take it for it to be impactful on afro textured hair and in melanin rich skin.

Thank you. Of course ain't nobody got that brand in France. Amazon UK may have it. But, I'm too cheap to pay for the extra shipping that may entail.

I think what is important is the OptiMSM component. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. My current brand does not have that either. Thus, the next time around I am going to look for the OptiMSM. One lady I follow for skin did emphasize to look for the OptiMSM mark. Based upon you and her, I will do that next time. Thank you for thinking of me!

I have been taking anywhere from 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp per day (not consistently) but most days. If I were taking a lower dose I would take it once per day but if taking the higher dose then twice per day. Up until recently I would take it in about 2 cups of liquid (either water or bamboo tea). Lately, I've gotten into a kill two birds with one stone and have been adding it to 4 cups of water (1L) so that I wouldn't fully slack on my water intake. Previously, this wasn't necessarily the case and my general water consumption was little to none, so maybe that had something to do with it. I try to remember to take my vit C chewables when I take it (1000 mg). With my bamboo tea I have been adding moringa powder and that is supposed to have vit C naturally, so I didn't feel to bad if I forgot the chews.

I had issues with my hair routine over the past two years and so I am not sure if it would have been worse without the MSM or I was just having so many issues that I didn't realize that the MSM wasn't working. Generally, I don't have any persistent joint issues, though I've had knee issues on and off since I was a teen. (On and off could be years in between occurrences.) Thankfully, I've also never really had skin issues. I have changed up my routine a bit, so I will know by the end of the year (or hopefully sooner) if the MSM is helping me in that way.

I will have to look into the OptiMSM component and what that means. I saw it on the label, but didn't realize that this was something that I should have been looking into. I thought they added it to make their product look cooler. :lol:

I think that I'll add 1/2 tsp more and see if it agrees with my system and if I get more growth that way.

Chicoro

I have been taking anywhere from 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp per day (not consistently) but most days. If I were taking a lower dose I would take it once per day but if taking the higher dose then twice per day. Up until recently I would take it in about 2 cups of liquid (either water or bamboo tea). Lately, I've gotten into a kill two birds with one stone and have been adding it to 4 cups of water (1L) so that I wouldn't fully slack on my water intake. Previously, this wasn't necessarily the case and my general water consumption was little to none, so maybe that had something to do with it. I try to remember to take my vit C chewables when I take it (1000 mg). With my bamboo tea I have been adding moringa powder and that is supposed to have vit C naturally, so I didn't feel to bad if I forgot the chews.

I had issues with my hair routine over the past two years and so I am not sure if it would have been worse without the MSM or I was just having so many issues that I didn't realize that the MSM wasn't working. Generally, I don't have any persistent joint issues, though I've had knee issues on and off since I was a teen. (On and off could be years in between occurrences.) Thankfully, I've also never really had skin issues. I have changed up my routine a bit, so I will know by the end of the year (or hopefully sooner) if the MSM is helping me in that way.

I will have to look into the OptiMSM component and what that means. I saw it on the label, but didn't realize that this was something that I should have been looking into. I thought they added it to make their product look cooler. :lol:

I think that I'll add 1/2 tsp more and see if it agrees with my system and if I get more growth that way.

I am going to assume we are talking about MSM's impact on your hair, and not on your skin nor your joints.

Measurements converted to mg:
1 teaspoon = 4,000 mg
1/2 teaspoon = 2,000 mg
1/4 teaspoon = 1,000 mg
1/8 teaspoon = 500 mg

Your dosage, in terms of quantity looks like it's from 2,000 to 4,000 mg per day. That's a good range or amount for an impact.

The chewable 1000 vitamin C has fillers and if you check out your bottle, it probable has about 250 mg of Vitamin C only, per that '1,000 mg' chewable. You need a minimum of 1,000 mg of pure vitamin C. Ideally, pure vitamin C powder works well. Whatever is in the measuring spoon is vitamin C, when you you use vitamin C powder, no fillers. Thus, a 1,000 mg scoop of vitamin C powder is equal to 1,000 mg of vitamin C. If you are taking 1/2 teaspoon of MSM that's 2,000 mg of MSM and you want at least half that in vitamin C, which would be 1,000 mg Vitamin C.

You are also spreading the MSM out in the 1 Liter of water, which I am assuming you drink over time and not all at once. Ideally, you want to take your MSM and vitamin C together, all at once, and on an empty stomach. Your empty stomach can be before or after meals.

Lastly, one can take MSM with water, but I don't think that is the ideal medium for everyone. If you mix a bit of glucose in the tea or drink it with some kind of juice, that may assist with cell uptake of the MSM.

Regarding Moringa powder, it contains up to 40% sulfur. MSM is 99% sulfur. When you replace the vitamin C with the Moringa powder, you are increasing your sulfur intake, not supplementing with vitamin C. That means, you would need to take even more vitamin C to balance things out. That is something else you may want to consider.

To summarize, some possible tweaks to consider:

1. Change your vitamin C chewable to pure vitamin C powder.
  2. Take your MSM with your vitamin C all at once and at the same time.
  3. Take your MSM on an empty stomach.
  4. Take your MSM with something other than water.
  5. Take your MSM consistently.
  6. Replacing the vitamin C with Moringa powder increases the amount of sulfur your take in more so than the amount of vitamin C.

kcbelle925

Hello ladies, just adding my two cents. I use the following per YT's Curly Proverbz' recommendation.

The one issue with the sulfur crystals is that it takes forever to dissolve in cold liquids, so definitely plan ahead if you're going to put it in juice.

My problem is I am not very consistent on taking this but I will have to do better.

Chicoro

Hello ladies, just adding my two cents. I use the following per YT's Curly Proverbz' recommendation.

The one issue with the sulfur crystals is that it takes forever to dissolve in cold liquids, so definitely plan ahead if you're going to put it in juice.

My problem is I am not very consistent on taking this but I will have to do better.

Yes, you got to take it and do it consistently. That's about $60.00 dollars in product you've purchased. Can't let it go to waste!!!

kcbelle925

Yes, you got to take it and do it consistently. That's about $60.00 dollars in product you've purchased. Can't let it go to waste!!!
I'm very much aware. Unfortunately, that's my MO. I know because I am not consistently taking my supplements and maintaining my regimen my hair care progress has plateaued. But like I said I know I need to do better. Commitment and consistency!

Chicoro

I'm very much aware. Unfortunately, that's my MO. I know because I am not consistently taking my supplements and maintaining my regimen my hair care progress has plateaued. But like I said I know I need to do better. Commitment and consistency!
That's my MO, too! I buy stuff, use it once and have to throw it out. I wasn't pointing fingers and criticizing you. I hope I didn't come across that way. If I did, please accept my apologies.

snoop

I am going to assume we are talking about MSM's impact on your hair, and not on your skin nor your joints.

Measurements converted to mg:
1 teaspoon = 4,000 mg
1/2 teaspoon = 2,000 mg
1/4 teaspoon = 1,000 mg
1/8 teaspoon = 500 mg

Your dosage, in terms of quantity looks like it's from 2,000 to 4,000 mg per day. That's a good range or amount for an impact.

The chewable 1000 vitamin C has fillers and if you check out your bottle, it probable has about 250 mg of Vitamin C only, per that '1,000 mg' chewable. You need a minimum of 1,000 mg of pure vitamin C. Ideally, pure vitamin C powder works well. Whatever is in the measuring spoon is vitamin C, when you you use vitamin C powder, no fillers. Thus, a 1,000 mg scoop of vitamin C powder is equal to 1,000 mg of vitamin C. If you are taking 1/2 teaspoon of MSM that's 2,000 mg of MSM and you want at least half that in vitamin C, which would be 1,000 mg Vitamin C.

You are also spreading the MSM out in the 1 Liter of water, which I am assuming you drink over time and not all at once. Ideally, you want to take your MSM and vitamin C together, all at once, and on an empty stomach. Your empty stomach can be before or after meals.

Lastly, one can take MSM with water, but I don't think that is the ideal medium for everyone. If you mix a bit of glucose in the tea or drink it with some kind of juice, that may assist with cell uptake of the MSM.

Regarding Moringa powder, it contains up to 40% sulfur. MSM is 99% sulfur. When you replace the vitamin C with the Moringa powder, you are increasing your sulfur intake, not supplementing with vitamin C. That means, you would need to take even more vitamin C to balance things out. That is something else you may want to consider.

To summarize, some possible tweaks to consider:

1. Change your vitamin C chewable to pure vitamin C powder.
  2. Take your MSM with your vitamin C all at once and at the same time.
  3. Take your MSM on an empty stomach.
  4. Take your MSM with something other than water.
  5. Take your MSM consistently.
  6. Replacing the vitamin C with Moringa powder increases the amount of sulfur your take in more so than the amount of vitamin C.

Thanks for the measurement breakdown. It's very helpful!

Apparently, 1 tsp = 5g. Who knew! (Per the package of my previous and current brands.) So I'm actually getting a bit more than I'd thought.
The vit C says that it's 500 mg of vit C per chew? So it might be 500mg + filler?

20210514_144846.jpg

I drink the 1L of water in 1 go. It takes me about 5 minutes. A straw is a girl's best friend. I think this is why people can drink supersized pop with no issues. Something about not having my mouth fill with liquid all at once allows me to down it much easier than if I pour it into a cup. My stomach is usually pretty empty when I do this.

I don't drink much juice and I'm trying to go back to drinking no juice again, but I will look into getting some orange juice or something and adding the MSM to it to see if that makes a difference.

Also, thanks for the tip on the moringa! I didn't know that. On days where I drink it, I will add more Vit C.

I'll also look into getting some vit C powder. I probably avg about 5 days per week if I look at the overall time that I've been taking it, but for the most part I would say that I take it daily.

Chicoro

Thanks for the measurement breakdown. It's very helpful!

Apparently, 1 tsp = 5g. Who knew! (Per the package of my previous and current brands.) So I'm actually getting a bit more than I'd thought.
The vit C says that it's 500 mg of vit C per chew? So it might be 500mg + filler?

View attachment 472131

I drink the 1L of water in 1 go. It takes me about 5 minutes. A straw is a girl's best friend. I think this is why people can drink supersized pop with no issues. Something about not having my mouth fill with liquid all at once allows me to down it much easier than if I pour it into a cup. My stomach is usually pretty empty when I do this.

I don't drink much juice and I'm trying to go back to drinking no juice again, but I will look into getting some orange juice or something and adding the MSM to it to see if that makes a difference.

Also, thanks for the tip on the moringa! I didn't know that. On days where I drink it, I will add more Vit C.

I'll also look into getting some vit C powder. I probably avg about 5 days per week if I look at the overall time that I've been taking it, but for the most part I would say that I take it daily.

Yes, the other 500 is filler: dextrose, etc... If you want to leave juice behind, then I wouldn't go back to it just for the MSM.

Lita

@kcbelle925 I take this combination 2xs a day^^less shedding & stronger roots.

Happy Hair Growing!

snoop

@Aggie,

View attachment 472037

You guys have me out here shopping! I got some vit C in my cart and now I'm eyeing collagen. I've only ever tried the Great Lakes brand, but I am looking at this one. They also have Strawberry Lemonade flavour and Lavender Lemonade flavour on A-zon. Does anyone know if these flavours work the same as the unflavoured?

EDIT: The "Beauty" Collagens don't have as good of an amino acid profile as the original.

EDIT 2: I'll stick with the Great Lakes collagen and add the vit C powder.

greatlakes.jpg

Last edited:

Aggie

@Aggie,

View attachment 472037
Thanks @Chicoro.

By the way, I have tried marine collagen before but was not overly impressed with it's results for my hair. I do take collagen but in pill form. I want the powdered one to add to my msm/vit c powder water mixture. It's easier this way.

Aggie

@snoop,

This is what I have been taking. I only look for brands that have the OptiMSM attached to it. My Jarrow Formulas have it and so does my Source Naturals brand. I did not want to waste time and money on any other type. I need results and I need them now, :lol: